Chapter 2

Demon Days

 

Later that evening...

"That's too bad my flight came later in the day. I would have liked to seen the auditions." "Don't bother. Those detectors Seunghyun's father gave us do all the work for us. I've never seen so much compressed dark matter. Teddy commented. Yang Hyun-suk responded. "Yeah, well not everyone can be the King of the Underworld..." Teddy gave a knowing look to him and they both shared a chuckle. "That boy - he's very respectful and mature for his age and here I thought he was just another brat because of his lineage." "You made a good choice. He rounds out the group nicely. They're a really well-balanced team and I know we can go really far with them." "Yes. I'm eager to test out your theory of a multi-race group. Completely unheard of but I can't stand those SM or JYP groups - I honestly can't tell one demon from another, they all look the same to me." Teddy let out a big grin. "Yeah, the dynamics in this group are phenomenal. I've run the tests. We are going to change things." The president nodded in agreement.

Teddy continued, "I don't suppose we'll be able to test this out with a girl group anytime soon, huh?" "No. Unfortunately, these auditions have been largely fruitless. Chaerin and Minji are the ones we have to show for it and they didn't even go through this process." He let out a sign and rubbed his eyes with his hands. "I've even been told that a mortal girl auditioned today."

Teddy's eyes opened wide with disbelief. "Really?! That's... that's impossible, sajangnim. There is no way she could have gotten through the barrier. And the security checkpoints? You're telling me no one detected her? Pres, this sounds like a disaster. " "I know what it sounds like. My intel team can't explain how she made it past so many people. It must be a one-off." "Don't we get that barrier technology from Seunghyun's father as well?" Hyun-suk stared at Teddy before he slowly nodded. "We do. Call him in here."

Teddy texted a message on his phone and minutes later the door opened. "You wanted to see me, sir?" "Seunghyun, yes, have a seat. How are you?" "I'm well, sir." "And practices? You will be debuting rather soon." "Yes, practices are going as scheduled and we are ready." "Excellent news." Seunghyun detected a lull in the brief greeting and wasted no time. "Pardon me and I hope I'm not out of line but may I ask why I have been summoned, sir?" The president let out a deep chuckle. "You underworld demons waste no time. I like that. We wanted to ask you about the technology your father has graciously given us. What do you know of its stats and failure rates?" "Zero faults, sir. I do not know of any failure rates to this date. I've worked on this project myself." "There was one today."

Seunghyun's gut reaction to let out a biting sarcastic remark to the elder vampire almost jumped out of this throat but his face refused to betray this emotion as he sat completely still and stoic. He thought about his response, "I assure you this was no fault of the technology, sir." "So you're saying a mortal girl simply walked through the dark matter barriers?" "-which are military-grade ...courtesy of your father." Teddy added. Seunghyun gathered his thoughts. A mortal girl. The one from yesterday...? He chose to stick to his guns. "With all due respect sir - yes, I believe so." The president stared him down. Teddy let out an uneasy laugh. "I'll conduct an internal investigation. It wasn't just the barrier but our guards as well. President. Seunghyun." As he got up he motioned Seunghyun to leave with him. Seunghyun gladly obeyed and followed Teddy back to his studio. 

"Look, sorry about that. I know security's not your issue but we just wanted to make sure." 

"I understand, hyung. But I'm telling you - I assure you this technology is no nonsense stuff. Anything that is demon military strength has the darkest and most ancient magic. My father made sure of that. You have to believe me." 

Teddy stared at the young man for a while before nodding. "Ok. I believe you. But damn, now I have to launch this investigation." 

"The girl." Seunghyun confirmed. "She's not normal." 

"Yeah, no kidding. She's a mortal." Teddy answered back.

"Look, I only met her briefly but something felt different. I can't explain it."

 

The whispers that travelled through the halls of the YG building for the next two weeks were those of a security breach, Teddy's arrival (which only ever meant business), and the new trainee additions of a witch and kumiho. Most of the staff understood YG and Teddy's new approach to idols: while most entertainment companies strived to create a group of only one race, YG chose a heteregenous approach which he belived to be more balanced.

The van carrying the BIGBANG boys arrived at the front of the YG building at 5 AM. Sleepy figures (except Seungri) filed out and into the building, making a beeline for the dance studio. As they approached the room, they could hear music blasting inside. 

"Eh? Jaewook hyung is already here? He's always late though..." Daesung peeped up. 

"No, I just texted hyung. He just left his house." Jiyong answered. "Let's see who it is." Jiyong nudged the door open a crack and saw two female figures dancing to the beat. They kept going at it for a minute or two in until the younger girl whipped her head around to the group standing by the door. At this point, the other girl shut the music off.

"We're very sorry. We must have lost track of time." She said as she bowed her head. "How long were you-" Jiyong started but was suddenly interrupted by Seungri. "You're the witch, aren't you? And the fox demon, too?" He said as he pointed to each of them. The two girls exchanged uneasy glaces with each other before nodding their heads shyly.  "My name is Lee Chaerin and this is Gong Minji. We're new trainees. It's a pleasure to meet you." At this point a fuming Jiyong stepped in front of Seungri and took the lead. "Pleasure's ours. How long have you been practicing for?" "The last four hours. We came on our own because we wanted to work on some stuff." Chaerin answered. Youngbae let out a wow while Jiyong sized the girl up. She shot back a look that would have made any grown man cry. "We'll leave you to your practice." Both girls bowed as they collected their things and left. Youngbae watched as they left and then placed a hand on Jiyong's shoulder, "c'mon, lighten up. Go easy on them." Jiyong sighed and looked at him. "Was anyone easy on us?". The room was silent.

"That was a weird vibe..." Minji commented. Chaerin was silent as they both washed up and dressed themselves. "I guess I can understand some of the hosility since vampires hate humans and casters build and maintain relationships with them." "But that has nothing to with you! Not really, anyway. And does he not realise we wouldn't be able to co-exist with humans if it weren't for casters?" Chaerin laughed. "That's it - vampires don't think we should be co-existing with them at all." Minzy let out a frustrated noise as she felt the heat rising in her. Chaerin noticed her eyes turning orange. "But he didn't have to be so rude." "It's okay. I'll work on him." Chaerin winked. Then her cellphone vibrated. "We've been summoned." 

The girls headed up to the president's office and along the way they could hear snippets of a conversation. Chaerin motioned to Minji to slow down, so they could eavesdrop. 

"-bring her back? Are you out of your mind?" "Sajangnim, just hear me out. Instead of classifying it as a failure, we would know for sure if it happened again." "Can't we just ignore it?" "You know how the council is about reporting and documenting this stuff with humans. If we say it was faulty, the Demon King will take issue with us. You wouldn't want that, right?" The president looked away. "Alright, host another round of auditions. One month from now. Let'see if she returns." 

With the end of the conversation, the girls took their cue and pretended to noisily make their way down the hall, making small talk with each other. "Ah girls, you've arrived." They bowed politely. "Teddy and I have news for you. We've found your third." The girls exchanged excited glances. Teddy started, "She's a vampire from the Philippines."