Meeting you

Deer caught in Headlights

 

Leaving the cramped space of the club at 1:20PM had my head pounding like crazy. I could still feel the bass course through my body in currents and a groan escaped my lips.

 

“That was awesome! Soul Connection are really, really good!” she stressed out and wrapped her arm around mine as she spoke animatedly. Sooyeon, a fellow classmate of mine had insisted on taking me out to an underground club exhibiting underground hip-hop music for weeks now. She was really into it.

 

“Yeah, really awesome...” I mumbled a bit sarcastically in my yet not-so perfect Korean and rubbed my forehead. Sooyeon was oblivious to my actions.

 

The chilly spring night was more than welcomed, and as we left the busiest streets in Hongdae it was becoming quieter. Waiting for the bus next to an university was someone familiar. A young man. With hands in his pockets and hood pulled up to cover most of his face and rendered in darkness of the street lamp. It was on the opposite side of ours, he would take the bus towards Hapjeong (and possibly crossing the river) while we were heading back to campus in Sinchon-dong where my university was located.

 

His bus arrived before us and I saw him board the green bus and take a seat in the back with headphones placed firmly on his head. My eyes followed the vehicle as it left the bus stop and drove down the street and around a corner.

 

It took a slap to my shoulder to snap me out of my reverie.

 

“The bus is already here”

 

“Uh-oh...” I commented dumbly and followed her. I honestly hadn't noticed. But one thing I knew for sure was that I had to see that boy again. I had to know who he was.

 

 

 

Rays of sunlight hit my eyes in the early morning and disturbed my peaceful sleep. I had no idea when I fell asleep last night, but I was tired, and the small dorm room felt stuffy and hot from the sun.

The snoring coming from the other bed told me that my roommate was still sound asleep – like I wished I'd be.

 

With a dissatisfying groan I rolled over to my back and dragged my heavy body away from the soft confines of my bed and sat crossed legged as I stared into nothing. With my hand I tried to rub the tiredness out of my face as I thought of what to do with this boring Sunday morning.

10:08AM. Way too early in my opinion, but since I was already awake I might as well pick up news from friends and acquaintances – my social life was dying recently.

 

I bent over to pick up my laptop from the floor and opened the lid. The old computer whined to life and after a few seconds the blue green screen of Windows Vista greeted me. I typed in my password fast and lazily dragged my legs all the way to the small fridge and got myself a yogurt before getting back to bed. And as expected I had a few new mails from my mother, and a dozen new messages from friends back home in China.

 

“You're up this early?” my best friend asked deadpanned as I logged in to messenger. I rolled my eyes as he stared back me through the web-cam.

 

I enjoyed my spoonful of strawberry yogurt before answering, “Shut up. It's not that early”

“For you it is” he laughed in a mocking manner. “Besides, how's Korea? Is your Korean improving?” he added and rested his head in his hand.

 

“The classes is intense and I'm learning a lot. But my Korean... I'm slowly getting somewhere, but being forced to talk it almost all the time really helps, so I'm improving. And...” I stressed, “Korea is really getting to me. The customs and the culture in general is so strong I can't help to get 'Korea-fied' and it's only been 3 months. And I've met some awesome people too” I said as I off my spoon.

 

He only nodded before a grin broke out to almost split his face in two, “Any hot girls?”

 

“Liang - “

 

“Oh right, you're into bo -”

 

“Shhh!”

 

“Like your roommate understands Chinese...”

 

He had a point, but it still made me uncomfortable. Only a very selected few knew about my uality and coming from a society based upon Confucianism and deep traditions where homouality was unheard of, and shameful. Not only for yourself, but your whole family and name.

 

“Yeah, but still...” I pouted for good measure.

 

“Found any hot guys then?”

 

I bit my lip and thought about it. Then the guy from yesterday crossed my mind like a slap to the face. How could I even forget?

 

“Actually, there is this guy I saw performing last night. He's a rapper, and a pretty good one too. Wait, I'll just have to look him up -” and so I immediately typed 'Soul Connection' into the Naver search bar and clicked the link to the groups homepage. My eyes scanned through the members' info until they stopped on a 'Jepp Blackman'.

 

“Luha -”

 

“His name is Bang Yongguk, he's 21 and goes by the name of Jepp Blackman.” I told my friend who wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

 

“Pictures?” he smirked.

 

“Goodbye” I waved to him and disconnected the web-camera and messenger. Falling back on the mattress I smiled to myself as I stared at the crisp white plaster ceiling. So Jepp Blackman, huh. I guess we will meet again.

 


A really short chapter that serves more as an introduction to the plot than an actual chapter. But hope you enjoyed it anyhow!