O1; The Pest

Chasing Love

 

L.Joe’s POV;

 

It had all started with Chunji’s theory.

 

“Alright guys, you can go rest for a while now!” The coach said as he blew his whistle. The boys all scrambled to the stands for their water bottles. As we drank, Chunji’s cousin, Hyemi, came along, dragging her friend Jung Bongcha over.

“Hey guys!” Hyemi greeted, grinning. “How’s basketball going?”

“Good,” Chunji grinned back. Bongcha tugged at Hyemi’s shirt.

“Can I please go?” She asked. “I want to read....”

“Eeh?” Hyemi gasped. “Why? Come and watch the guys play basketball!”

“No thanks...” Bongcha mumbled, moving backwards. “I’ll be at the library if you need me.” I watched as she turned around and made her way up the school basketball courts.

“Has she always been like that?” Chunji asked as Bongcha slowly disappeared from sight. Hyemi nodded.

“She’s actually quite shy but I guess that’s what’s cute about her,” She chuckled. “So aren’t you guys going to go back onto the court? Your coach looks kind of furious.” Chunji and I turned to see the coach tapping his foot while watching us.

“Finished, ladies?” He asked sarcastically. “Time to get back onto the court now.”

“Yes, coach!” Chunji called and then turned to Hyemi. “Well, we’re going to go play now. See you after this!”

“I’ll be watching!” Hyemi called, smiling and waving. As Chunji and I walked back onto the basketball courts, he nudged me.

Then, he said one sentence that seemed to change everything.

“Hey...I think Bongcha likes you.”

I stopped walking and stared at him.

“What?” Chunji gave a grin.

“Don’t you think so too? She’s always shy around you,” He replied. “Maybe she likes you.”

“Tch, that can’t be possible,” I scoffed. “We’ve hardly talked.”

“Hardly talked?” Show repeated, surprised. “Wasn’t there this time where you accidentally bumped into her and help her pick up her books? She seemed embarrassed and a little flustered.” I blinked and recalled the moment.

Now that I thought about it, when that happened, Bongcha was strangely silent yet looked embarrassed. Bongcha was in the same class as me and was considered as one of those quiet students who just read and studied all day. Was it possible that someone like her would really like me?

The thought stuck in my head for the rest of basketball.

 

By the end of our game and taking a shower in the school changing rooms, the thought of Bongcha possibly liking me still didn’t leave my mind. I started to feel slightly frustrated as soon as I left for class.

On the way to class Chunji caught up with me and I temporarily forgot about the Bongcha thing as we talked about others. We headed to class and all of a sudden, Hyemi’s head poked out from the classroom door and she looked left to right before charging at me.

“What do you want now?” Chunji frowned; obviously not that happy his cousin had come to talk to him.

“I’m not here for you,” Hyemi retorted. “I’m here for L.Joe.”

“What do you want from me?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. Hyemi gave a grin and nudged me in the ribs, temporarily causing the downfall of my respiratory system.

“My Bongcha likes you, you lucky boy,” She whispered, winking. “She was watching you guys play basketball from the library window at lunchtime. You’re in luck.” I blinked. Bongcha...was watching me play basketball?

Instantly, the thoughts that had disappeared from my head about Bongcha re-appeared again.

So...Bongcha really did like me?

We arrived at class and my eyes fell on Bongcha who was quietly flipping through a novel in the corner of the classroom. As Chunji closed the classroom door behind him, Bongcha looked up and our eyes briefly met. Then, she quickly looked down again, a hint of redness splashed across her face.

It was true.

 

Bongcha’s POV;

15 minutes ago:

The bell went for class time and I sighed, closing my book and heading out of the library.

Along the way, I passed by a window and noticed the boys playing basketball at the basketball courts and finishing off their last match. The two boys in my class, Chunji and L.Joe were playfully fighting and hitting each other. Seeing Chunji laughing made my lips curve into a small smile and I continued to observe him.

“Bongcha?” Hyemi’s sudden voice made me jump and I turned.

“Y-Yes?” I squeaked. She frowned. “Class is starting soon. What are you looking at?” Hyemi came over and looked out the window. Her eyebrows slowly arched up and she turned to me with a sly smile.

“Aaah...I see,” She said, nodding wisely.

“No, it-it’s not what you think!” I stuttered, instantly blushing. If  Hyemi knew that I liked her cousin, how would she react?

“It’s okay Bongcha,” Hyemi laughed and indicated her head towards the window. “I know you well enough to know you like him and I reckon you guys go nicely together. Even if he is a bit short.”

I blinked. I had never thought Chunji would ever be ‘short’ but me and Chunji...looked good together?

“R-Really? You think that?” I said, brightening up a little.

“I know that,” Hyemi firmly nodded and slung her arms around my shoulder. “Now come on, let’s head to class!”

A few minutes before class had started, Hyemi told me she was going somewhere for a while and quickly snuck out of the classroom with a suspicious grin. I sighed and started reading again while waiting for her to return. A few minutes later, the classroom door clicked shut and I looked up for a moment to see Hyemi, L.Joe and Chunji come in. Chunji was standing behind L.Joe and as soon as he closed the door and turned, Chunji and I met eyes and I quickly looked back down at my book, feeling myself turn red. Hyemi proudly skipped to her seat while Chunji sat two seats diagonally in front of me as usual where I could see him. L.Joe found his spot which was only a seat diagonally in front of me and seemed to take a peek at me before sitting down.

As I continued to silently observe Chunji being his loud and adorable attention-seeking self in front of the class, I noticed L.Joe turning back a little every few seconds before returning to face the front. I frowned.

What was he doing?

All od a sudden, L.Joe stood up completely and came towards my desk.

“Hey Bongcha,” He said casually. “How’s life?”

“Um.” I stared at him blankly. “What do you want?”

“So....” L.Joe paused for a long time before continuing. “You like me, right?” I choked on my spit and coughed.

“Wh-What?”

“It’s okay, I already know you do anyway,” He continued, looking just as smug as the kid from the ANZ tv advertisement who spelt the word ‘mortgage’ confidently without including the ‘t’. “I was told that you were looking at me from the library windows while I was playing basketball and you also kept staring at me just now.”

“Um.” I stared at him in disbelief. Was he plain stupid or conceited or both? “What is wrong with you?”

“Oh nothing,” L.Joe shrugged and grinned. “Just thought that I should let you know that I’m fully aware of your feelings towards me. But sorry, I don’t like you that way yet.”

I was totally out of words and just continued to stare at L.Joe as if he just appeared out of nowhere.

What-

What is wrong with this guy!?

 

My first full encounter of this annoying pest had leapt into my life and changed so many things before I least expected it.

 

 


 

ermagad. lame first chapter. sorry orz ; u ;

it was a bit rushed but I still hope you guys enjoyed it!