A Gust from the Past

Two Best Friends

Hyuk Jae POV:

I walked into one of the on campus cafes and ordered a strawberry ice-tea before sinking down into one of the comfy lounge seats. I had barely taken a few sips before I spotted the person I was meeting with. After ordering a Caramel Macchiato, he grabbed his drink and made his way over.

“Did you wait long Hyung?” Asked Choi Min Ho as he sat down across from me.

“No. I just got here,” I said picking up my drink. “You said Jun Ho was asking for a favour?”

“Yes,” said Min Ho putting down his drink and pulling out a piece of paper from his bag. “This is the rough draft of the schedule that we made for this year’s Sports Day.”

I picked up the paper and looked through the events listed.

“So he wants a few performances?”

“Yes, but he was also asking for a special favour,” said Min Ho slowly, looking down at his drink. “He was hoping for a special number by you and Dong Hae Hyung before the last event, the awards ceremony.”

I looked away from his pleading eyes. I still hadn’t been able to talk to Dong Hae. I still didn’t know what was wrong with him.

“I don’t know if Dong Hae will agree to it,” I said finally.

“Hyung, he’s your best friend. He always helps you out with everything doesn’t he? Even when your reputation went down when you dated Hye Si, he’s the one who fixed it up right? Don’t worry, he’ll say yes.”

I looked up surprised. What did he just say? Dong Hae fixed up my reputation?

“Anyways Hyung,” said Min Ho suddenly getting up while looking out the window intently. “I have something to do. I’ll talk to you later.”

Min Ho picked up his bag and ran out of the café. His drink lay forgotten on the table.

“Uh… okay,” I said leaning forward to get up when I realized that he had already run out of the café. I leaned back into my seat again before picking up my drink. I sipped on it before wondering what Min Ho had meant.

My phone beeped. I took it out and was surprised to see a text from Min Ho.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jae Eun POV:

I sighed as I sat down. It had already been two days since my Oppas had stopped talking to each other. This was the longest time I had ever encountered. Hyukkie Oppa didn’t even seem to be trying and Hae Oppa just ignored him.

“Aish… what should I do?” I asked myself out loud.

“They say that talking to yourself indicates you’re crazy,” said a voice from close by. “I like crazy.”

I rolled my eyes.

“What are you some kind of stalker?”

“What’s this?” Asked Min Jae walking into my vision. “I would think that after last time, you’d be a little bit more mannered.”

“With your attitude, no thanks,” I said finally looking at him. “By the way, what happened to your henchmen? They ditch you? Is that why you came looking for company?”

Min Jae walked closer to me. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me to my feet.

“I don’t need anyone’s help to catch something as small as you.”

“You know what I think? I think you do,” I said looking him straight in the eyes before he was suddenly turned around.

“I thought I told you to stay away from my sister,” said Hyuk Jae angrily before punching Min Jae. Dong Hae grabbed my hand and pulled me away from both of them.

“Don’t… you… dare… touch… her… again,” said Hyuk Jae punching Min Jae after each word.

“Hyuk,” said Dong Hae quickly grabbing Hyuk Jae and pulling him from on top of Min Jae who looked up from the ground with a bloody nose. “That’s enough. Stop.”

“Get off me,” shouted Hyuk Jae struggling against Dong Hae’s grip.

“Leave,” shouted Dong Hae at Min Jae.

Min Jae slowly stood up before wiping the blood with the back of his hand.

“I’ll see you again,” said Min Jae glaring at us before stumbling away.

Watching him leave, I spotted a figure in the distance.

“Come back here you coward,” shouted Hyuk Jae. “Get of me Dong Hae.”

Min Ho gave me a smile before turning around and walking away, his hands in his pockets.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

When I felt like Min Jae was far enough and Hyuk Jae was no longer going to chase after him and beat him to death, I let him go.

“You let him go!” Exclaimed Hyuk Jae turning back to me. “Why?”

“Because I didn’t want you to get into a fight with him and his crowd.”

“What are you talking about? I had him!”

“Did you really want Jae Eun to see you beating up a guy like that?”

It was like a light bulb in his head. Remembering Jae Eun, Hyuk Jae grabbed her by the shoulders. Scared that he was going to be angry with her, I almost moved towards them.

“Are you okay?” Asked Hyuk Jae examining her arms before bending down to pick up her fallen bag. “Did he hurt you anywhere? Does it hurt?”

“I’m fine Oppa,” said Jae Eun as Hyuk Jae examined her wrist where Min Jae had grabbed her. “Really, I’m fine.”

Hyuk Jae pulled her into a hug.

“Do you know how worried I was? What would have happened to you if I hadn’t come?” He asked holding her at an arms distance again. “What if someone hadn’t texted me to tell me that they saw Min Jae following you?”

“Wait,” I said stepping forward. “You got a text too? From who?”

“Just this kid I know. He’s the track and field vice-captain, Choi Min Ho.”

Jae Eun’s eyes widened. She slowly looked at me with panic in her eyes.

“H-how d-do you know Min Ho?” I asked, more so for Jae Eun than me.

“I met up with him for some school related work. Do you know him?”

“Ah… just a little bit… from… school related work.”

A calm silence blanketed us as Hyuk Jae once again check Jae Eun for injuries. I felt content to just stand and watch although my head swam with questions. The moment shattered when Jae Eun’s phone started ringing. She looked at us guiltily before picking up the phone.

“Ah… Soo Young? Okay. I’ll be there in a few minutes,” said Jae Eun before hanging up. She looked at her feet before smiling awkwardly at both of us. “Um, I have to go… somewhere.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” Asked Hyuk Jae concerned.

“You two talk. Don’t you dare not make up today,” said Jae Eun suddenly glaring at us. “If you don’t, I’ll kill you both! It’s so stressful having to tip toe around you two!”

She grabbed Hyuk Jae and pushed him so that he sat down on the nearest bench.

“You guys are best friends. Remember that!”

Jae Eun gave us a small wave before running off. The moment she left, silence hung around us again, just this time, it was awkward. Even though only a moment ago, I had been talking normally with Hyuk Jae, now I didn’t know what to say. When it didn’t seem like he was going to say anything, I turned to walk away.

“Why were you avoiding me?” Asked Hyuk Jae finally.

I didn’t know how to answer.

“Was I really confusing you?”

“Maybe,” I said after what felt like whole minutes passing. Feeling odd, I sat down on the bench next to him.

“Why?”

I didn’t answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have sat down. Maybe I should get up but then Hyuk Jae would feel bad and it would lead to more awkward situations, right?

“Was I really that bad of a best friend while I was dating Hye Si?”

Again I didn’t answer him. I didn’t know how to answer his questions. Instead I focused on a flower pot in front of us to avoid looking at him.

“I’m sorry,” said Hyuk Jae softly after a while. “I never really noticed and that was stupid of me when I think of you as my best friend.”

I turned around to see him sitting down with his head hung low.

“Don’t worry. Even if I do start dating someone, it’ll be different and I’ll make sure not to treat you like that.”

“Wait. You’re not dating anyone?” I asked surprised.

“No,” said Hyuk Jae looking back up at me. “Don’t tell me you’ve been listening to the school rumours.”

“Well,” I said embarrassed at the truth. “It wasn’t like I could ask you recently.”

Again there was silence. I fiddled with my hands.

“So, the Sports Days is coming up and they were wondering if we would do a performance during one of the breaks,” said Hyuk Jae turning to me.” Do you want to?”

“What about Hyo Yeon?”

“Yah!” Exclaimed Hyuk Jae punching my shoulder hard.

“Ow,” I said wincing and grabbing my shoulder.

“I told you not to listen to those rumours. Besides, you’re the best dance partner I ever had and will ever have,” said Hyuk Jae before giving me a mischievous grin. “Especially since I taught you everything you know.”

“I hate you,” I said glaring at him before standing up and walking away.

“Yah! Where are you doing?” Asked Hyuk Jae getting up and following me.

“Getting rid of your best dance partner,” I said before breaking into a run.

“No! Yah!” Shouted Hyuk Jae laughing. “Come back! I need you! Dong Hae!”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jae Eun POV:

I was out of breath by the time I reached the field. I slowed down and bent over slightly to catch my breath.

“I think you got the wrong Choi,” said a voice from behind me.

I smiled as I saw a pair of shoes enter the corner of my vision.

“I find it interesting that people keep appearing from behind me,” I said slowly standing up.

“And I am sure that my name isn’t Soo Young,” said Min Ho.

“Sorry,” I said looking down slightly. “My brother would have killed me if he knew a guy he didn’t know had called me.”

“But he does know me,” said Min Ho folding his arms.

“Yes, I did notice that,” I said mimicking him by folding my arms. “By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask. Are you some kind of stalker?”

I almost felt like laughing. That was the second time I was asking a questions like that today.

“So saving you makes me a stalker?”

“No. I was just wondering how is it is that whenever I get into a bit of a situation, you happen to show up.”

“Situation?”

“Well, the last two times I’ve bumped into you, you saved me from an awkward encounter with Min Jae.”

“You aren’t very observative are you?”

“Excuse me?” I asked feeling irked. What was that supposed to mean? “Who do you think you are to say something like that?”

“Last three times,” said Min Ho looking amused.

“What?” I asked feeling confused. “Yah. You didn’t answer my question.”

“Aish,” said Min Ho shaking his head. “The first time we met, Min Jae had been following you too. I’m sure that if I hadn’t knocked into you then, you would have been stuck in another one of those situations. Sometimes I wonder what would happen to you if I didn’t help you out.”

I felt confused for a second before realization hit me. No wonder I had been feeling like someone had been watching me. Now, I just felt plain stupid. I unfolded my arms and bent my head down so that my hair fell in front of my face.

“I’m sorry for bothering you,” I half-mumbled slowly. I slowly turned around and started walking away. I closed my eyes and hit my head twice. Babo, what is wrong with you?

“Chippy,” called Min Ho softly, his voice filled with emotion.

I stopped in my tracks. I had heard that somewhere before with the same exact tone. But where? I couldn’t remember; it eluded me as it hid in the fog of forgotten memories.

“Why can’t you remember me?”

 

----------------------------------------

So... it has been long, hasn't it dear subscribers. I'm sorry for the very, very, very, very long wait. I got distracted by k-dramas again. Although, i can proudly say that I have watched over 70 dramas now. :D But anyways.... I hope you like this chapter. And now we can see that Jae Eun's past with Min Ho will start surfacing soon. Of course Hyuk Jae is still suspicious of Dong Hae and Jae Eun but he really does care very much for both of them. :)

Anyways. Thank you for the lovely comments that you left me. Oh and please thank indiankpopcrazygirl for motivating me to put up another chapter. She just wouldn't quit her nagging.