"It's you"

Moving on is the hardest thing to do ..

 

III.

“we’re really friends” I told Louie when he took the front seat while I got the wheels. He also wore tux and red-and-pink striped tie.

“this tie seems girlish.” He chuckled.

“haha. It’s not. They say boys look cuter when they wear pink.” I said when I started the engine and took over the streets.

“weird.” He said.

“why?” I asked.

“you seem so cheerful today. Is there something special happened?” he asked.

I remembered Kahi’s smile.

“as if you never get used to this mood swings of mine.” I told him, concentrating on the road.

“whatever, bro.” he gave up.

We reached the building where we’ll meet the client. Then something clicked in me.

“oh. The client we’ll meet is the president of the Pledis Entertainment, right?” I asked Louie.

“yeah. We’re asked to change the whole interiors from the ground floor up to 3rd floor. It’s quite surprising you forgot our client.” he told me when we reached our destination. The guards already recognized our plate number so they opened the gates.

Silence took over when I parked the car on the parking lot. We got out of the car and headed inside the building.

As we entered the building, one of those boys wearing tux approached us and escorted us to the office of the CEO on the 7th floor. It took hours of discussion until I noticed it’s already 7pm.  The CEO finally stood up and decided to give us a tour around the building. We went passed the control rooms, recording studios of their own, even their little warm cafeteria. Then we arrived on the floors that contain the dancing studios.

                I then noticed it was the girl group After School practicing inside the studio. The three of us, (well me, Louie, and the CEO) entered the room. Louie and I were introduced to those girls having their break. Then someone entered the room.

“Oh Kahi.” The CEO said.

Kahi just smiled in response. Then she shifted her gaze at me.

“It’s you.” She exclaimed. The persons inside the room were mystified except Louie who knew we already met one starry night.

I just smiled in response.

“oh well. I guess you already met.” The CEO said.

Kahi smiled.

“Um, Architect Sam? It seems you’re in our age bracket. Can you dance something for us?” the girl named Jooyeon asked me. I realized she was holding her phone, I noticed the CEO has his on his hands, too. My hands went cold.

“Dance? Well ..” I looked at Louie.

“Oh yes, as a matter of fact, Arch’t. Sam was one of those students awarded ‘dancer of the year’ during his high school and college days.” He said, patting my shoulder. I was expecting he’d say no. I just shook my head in disbelief.

“Really? Then show us your moves then, Architect.” The CEO said, clapping his hands in encouragement, all eyes inside the studio glowing in interest.

I don’t have a choice here. It’s been years since I danced. I felt my knees trembled in agreement.

“We need to talk after this.”I whispered to Louie as soon as I took off my coat and gave it to him. He suddenly understood what I meant and started banging his fist on his head.

Bekah hit the play, and to my relief, it was Sherlock by SHINee. I remembered the times when I was still hooked up with Tiffany, Hyoyeon taught these steps to me during their free time, and Tiffany somewhat ‘polished’ the steps. They seemed amazed, maybe expecting that I don’t know how to dance. As soon as the music ended, the room was filled with applauses. My cheeks went red-hot.

“If you’re not an architect, I would really love to hire you as our trainee.” The CEO said, patting his hands to my right shoulder.

I just smiled to him when Louie handed my coat.

“Well, I need to go first. I still have papers waiting on my desk. I have to go then, Arch’t. Sam. See you then.” The CEO said, waving goodbye to his talents as well.

 As soon as the CEO left, the girls came to Kahi, whispered something. Instead of eavesdropping to them, I just looked up the ceiling, examining the materials used, as well as the lighting conditions. They’re still in their best performance, I thought.

“We need to go home now, Louie. We still need to talk.” I reminded him.

“I’m sorry, bro. Those words .. so sorry, bro.” he said as he gestured me to go first.

I looked at Kahi and waved goodbye. Surprisingly, she looked back, smiling. The girls, with Bekah poking Kahi’s ribs, also waved goodbye. I just smiled, but those unfriendly gazes from the girl named Uee sent me shivers. I just left, with that jerk trailing my shadow.

“Why did you threw me to the sharks, Louie?” I asked him, exhaling deeply.

“Well, honestly, I was hoping that you’re already in your usual shape again. You know, those smiles ..” he said when we reached inside the elevator and pressed the ‘G’ button.

There was awkward silence inside the elevator.

“But you don’t need to do that even though I’m literally ‘back’, okay? It’s hard to dance with cold hands, you know.” I told him as soon as we got out from the elevator. We headed to the car when we reached the doors.

“But, can I ask you one thing? Is, is … Kahi the reason?” he asked.

“No.”I told him honestly. We climbed in the car and drove straight home silently.