Chapter Eleven.

Trapped

Chapter Eleven.

 

 

 

Rinka took a shallow breath and exited the cab, Jonghyun already out and waiting for her to take his arm. She couldn't help the fear bubbling in her stomach. She scrunched a little closer to him.

Jonghyun noticed and rubbed her arm. She could tell he was nervous too, even past his stone-like façade.

Both their mothers, however, didn't seem to have a care in the world about meeting the council, if anything, they were chatting with ease.

Rinka watched them in disbelief. How could they possibly be this calm? But a closer look revealed that neither of them where smiling, and their topic of choice was,  what was the right thing to say and how Rinka and Jonghyun should present themselves. Properly seemed to be the overall theme. Rinka couldn't help but feel a sense of dread, knowing there was bound to be a lecture coming soon.

The steps seemed to the council's building seemed to stretch forever, or maybe that's what Rinka was wishing for until they were right in front of the gigantic doors.

She could practically feel the suffocating tension in the group, and that in no way made her feel any better. They were supposed to know, they weren’t supposed to be scared.

 But they were and that was unnerving.

 

Honestly, she didn’t know if she’d feel any better if they weren’t.

 

The council was, simply put, scary. They were all firsts, and if that wasn’t intimidating enough, the fact that the majority of them were originals was. Originals, the ones who began it all and bred other firsts. The ones who dabbled in witchcraft and wizardry and brought chaos to the world.

 

They blamed them. Everyone, even some of the firsts. They blamed them for turning a world so pure into one drenched in blood and disdain.

 

And they knew that. They didn’t care, but they knew.

 

Rinka tightened her hold on Jonghyun’s arm as the doors creaked open, in what surely was an intentional screech, revealing a corridor lit by candles. The odor they gave off was nearly suffocating.

 

Jonghyun looked down at her. This was the closest they’d been without him feeling sick. It was…Nice really. It truly was too bad that it was under such frightening circumstances.

 

A footman led them to another double door, the intricately designed wood towering over them.

 

Rinka swore she could still see traces of blood on the doors from past battles and feedings. The council building was ages old and had seen many slaughters in its day. She could practically hear the screams of the council’s victims…

 

Jonghyun tugged on her arm, giving her a look of concern. She looked up at him and shook her head. He nodded slightly.

 

Both mothers were just as unnerved as their children, figures stiff and edgy. Especially Mrs. Tekarimoto, picking the hem of her dress to threads.

 

Finally, after an unbearably tense silence, the intricate door opened to reveal the council. Rinka felt like ice was racing through her veins, and it rushed through her to Jonghyun. Their grip on each other tightened.

 

“My lords, 1st levels Roya and Jonghyun Kim and 2nd class Seqria and Rinka Tekarimoto.”

 

Without missing a beat, both mothers bowed deeply. Rinka and Jonghyun released each other and quickly followed their lead; the council members nodded but otherwise showed no emotion whatsoever. The council leader, an Original named Daemon, spoke first to the shaking vampires below him.

 

“1st level Roya, 2nd class Seqria, might I inquire the matter of your visit?” This man’s voice held a strange sort of warmth, like you wanted to trust everything he says, but his eyes said it all. He could kill all of them in a moment’s notice without them even being granted a blink beforehand. Councilman Daemon had the strangest eyes Rinka had ever seen, a sort of dark purple that was nearly impossible to tear away from.

 

Never look a higher-ranked vampire in the eye. Rinka’s common sense, that was pummeled into her over the years from her mom, hissed. Just at that moment did she realize that the Councilman was returning her gaze, the color of his irises seemed even more intense that before. In a seconds notice, her eyes shot to the floor, but she felt his gaze still on her. Her curiosity got the better of her and she peeked back up at him through her light-colored bangs.

 

His eyes held no anger at their eye-contact, to which Rinka was stunned. Normally eye-contact with a 1st level was a horrible insult but maybe perhaps it was different with council people or Originals. Either way, Councilman Daemon had a certain amusement to her curious eyes. She felt a light blush color her cheeks.

 

Both their attention was brought back to the matter at hand when another Councilman directed a question at him.

 

“My lord, what are your thoughts on bringing these two families together?”

 

Councilman Daemon stared thoughtfully down at us then nodded.

 

“Approval granted. I believe that Kim Jonghyun and Tekarimoto Rinka would be a wise match.” His voice was like smooth honey, pleasing to the ears. Rinka knew it was merely another ploy to gain trust from weak minded vampires and humans.

 

“Thank you Councilman Daemon.” Seqria said, bowing low. Rinka noticed the torn threads of her dress and made a note to have them fixed later.

 

“You may leave now.” The group turned to leave and as they reached the door, once more Daemon’s voice met their ears.

 

“Kim Jonghyun. Hang back a moment, won’t you?”

 

Rinka felt the tension run down Jonghyun’s arm and frowned. She watched his eyes close tightly for a moment before he let go of her hand and his heel, a smile on his face. “Of course, Councilman.”

 

Rinka gave him a worried look but he simply smiled at her. Roya’s hand on the small of her back, pushing her out, was the only reason she stepped from the room.

 

“Follow me. Kim Jonghyun will be allowed to leave in a moment. Until then, I will lead you to your car.”

 

Silently, they were led back to the carriage. Once inside, Seqria let out a large sigh. “Well…It went surprisingly well. I was quite surprised Councilman Daemon agreed. He’s usually…very hard to convince.”

 

Roya nodded as well. “I do worry about Jonghyun. I can’t even imagine anything Daemon has to say to him.”

 

There was a knock on the door before it opened, Jonghyun sliding inside next to Rinka.

 

She rested her hand on his instantly. “What did he say to you? Are you alright?”

 

“Yes Rinka, I’m just fine. It was nothing of importance.” He gave her a smile but even she could see the slight tinge of unease in his eyes.

 

The cab was silent for a long moment. “Let’s get this show on the road then.”

 

XxX

 

“What changed?”

 

Jonghyun glanced over his shoulder at Rinka who stood at the door of the library. He closed his book, setting it down.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What changed? Suddenly…I don’t know. You’re…You’re confusing me.”

 

A frown graced his lips and she walked over, sitting on the couch next to him.

 

“I just…I don’t know what you’re thinking. I thought, at the soiree maybe…Maybe things had changed, maybe you’d finally warmed up at least a bit to me. And it felt so pleasant to hold your hand today. And then we got back and you disappeared. You didn’t say a word to me. Tell me, Kim Jonghyun. Do you still hate me?”

 

She watched emotions race across Jonghyun’s eyes as she spoke. Once she finished, he was silent.

 

She sighed. “Then that’s it then.”

 

“Rinka, hold on.” She stood and glanced back at him.

 

“I don’t want this either, Jonghyun. I wanted freedom, too. I may have taken your freedom, but you also took mine. You fail to remember that.”

 

A sigh left his lips. “I know. I forget.”

 

“Like it or not, we’re getting married. We’ll be spending our lives together. I can’t…I can’t live with you hating me.”

 

Jonghyun’s chest felt tight.

 

He had no response.

 

Rinka, seeing the blank expression on his face, nodded. “That’s it then. I’ll see you tomorrow, Jonghyun.”

 

xXx

 

Yeah I basically . Lots been going on. Haven't really been in the writing mood. TBH I don't want to write this anymore, but I will with the help of MatoDroid. Enjoy. Leave comments. Like. Vote. Love you guys. Sorry for my ty chapter and lack of updates. <3