Crowns and Swords

Another Destiny

 

A/N: Hi everyone! Thank you for reading and subscribing! Please keep supporting my story! If you liked it, even a little bit, please leave a comment. That would really help me!

I also want to thank  AbsoluteHominy -sama who's GTOP fic has been the inspiration for Fangs and Claws.

This next destiny was inspired by  sagittabigu  who did a little inception in my mind which started this whole story. Thank you for reading and enjoy!

 

CROWNS AND SWORDS

 

“Your highness, His Majesty awaits.”

A set of eyelashes batted gracefully awake at the greeting. Five more minutes, his head seemed to say, seemed to beg. He closed his eyes once again, burying his face in the velvety pillowcase, tugging the soft feathery comforters closer as the high curtains were mercilessly swept aside to reveal the cruel morning sun.

He makes a soft grunt in protest, not wanting to leave his four post heaven that smelled of lavender and lilac. He slightly opens his eyes and was quickly attacked by light glimmering from the crystal décor, glassy walls and polished floor. He was about to order them to let him sleep more but one look at the attendants lined up at the door, waiting for him, changed his mind. These people were working so early in the morning; it would be shameful if he stayed in bed.

“Good morning.” Jiyong greets.

The next minute, he finds himself lying in a large bathtub filled with milk and rose petals. He lifts a finger and a bath fizzer was automatically added to the porcelain tub. He tried to resume his sleep as the seltzer began to effervesce. He slowly lets a finger swirl in the soft water, letting the bubbles prickle his skin awake.

Minutes after that, he finds himself in front of a large mirror. His pink, pastel hair was tussled neatly, smelling of fragrant sunflower oil. His white, clear skin seemed fairer than the white of his gold trimmed tailcoat and pants. He wore a white silky shirt underneath, with ruffled lace cuffs and ruffled front. It had crystal buttons and golden epaulettes.

He briskly walked towards the Great Hall, his eyes scanning the large glass windows instead of the portraits, vases and statuettes on display. He could almost hear the chirping of birds, brushing of leaves and the whistling wind outside. He didn’t get to admire it much though, as he was briefly reminded of his duties for the day.

History. War. Philosophy.

Tea with the duke.

Target practice.

Lunch with the dignitaries.

Charity ball.

Jiyong quickened his pace, regretting delaying his day by staying longer in both bed and tub. A prince’s life was a measured life. The second he was born, his destiny was laid out in front of him. He would grow into the splitting image of his father, the King, in all his splendour and glory. He would raise a strong army to protect the land, issue decrees and enforce law, open trading with other kingdoms and hopefully lower taxes. That was his destiny; that was his life. Run by tight schedules and endless engagements. Burdened by responsibilities and duties no other person in the same age could ever possibly imagine.

Jiyong did not hate this life though. He doesn’t want to think that he was the poor-little-rich-boy type. He wasn’t the vain prince that didn’t have any friends. He wasn’t the delinquent prince either. He doesn’t sneak out of the palace, doesn’t wander in the great wide world out there, looking for adventure, thrill and fantasy. That was too…irresponsible. Too selfish.

He slowed down as he reached the large double doors. He straightened his coat, adjusts his cuffs and steadies his feet. An announcement was made that he has arrived and the doors open to a dining hall sparkling in grandness.

“Here he is” the Queen greets with the warmest smile. “My precious Jiyong…”

Breakfast was always so difficult.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Seasons change to fall, winter, spring and summer

Wait with hope as I am waiting

Hope for love as I am hoping

Where are you, love’s harbinger?

“What are you writing?” Tablo leans forward, eyeing the journal in the garden table. Jiyong was so deep in his thoughts that he did not notice the duke was standing behind him.

“You !” Jiyong purposely threw the saucer at him, aiming to maim. “Almost gave me a ing heart attack!”

Tablo catches the ceramic with his chest and heaves a relived sigh. “Hey!” he shouts at Jiyong who was now glaring at him ominously. “That’s not proper language for royalty!” He sits at the chair opposite him and the maids automatically serve him cakes and tea.

“Well, shut up,” Jiyong closes his diary and hides it in his coat. “Your Grace.” He added with a smirk.

The prince and the duke have been best of friends since they were little. When Jiyong was young, he was sickly so he couldn’t leave the palace for extended hours. The queen invited children of noble families to play with Jiyong; she even had a tower made for his toys. Even though Tablo was older, Jiyong liked playing with him the most because other children were too…childish. Even when he was a toddler, Jiyong was mature for his age and thought differently from the rest of them.

“Another one of your poems?” Tablo sipped his chamomile. “Or a love letter perhaps? That would be fantastic.”

“Please don’t start again…” Jiyong takes a bite of the cake before pounding his head in the table.

Your Grace is the prince’s most trusted person.” Tablo imitated the queen’s voice. “Can you talk to my son about girls. He is AWFULLY shy. ” Tablo breaks into laughter on his emphasis.

“You .” Jiyong laughed as he lifted his head. After a few more snorts, he smiles to the open garden, looking reminiscent as he gazed upon the flowers.

Tablo couldn’t help but stare at the magnificent image of the prince. With the sunlight kissing his rosy hair, justly highlighting the soft features of his face, he looked more like a princess really. That was why most ladies were intimidated by his appearance; he was prettier. If not for his language and bearing, one would think Jiyong was actually a princess. Even when they were young, the Queen often dressed Jiyong in feminine clothing to brag about how beautiful her son is. Though Tablo knew the real reason behind that.

“Don’t make fun of my hobbies.” Jiyong grabs his fork and points it to Tablo’s face before taking another mouthful of cake.  “Poetry relaxes me.”

Even now, the Queen, the whole palace, treats Jiyong delicately. He was the successor, heir and future King of the Southern Kingdoms. He lived a life of extravagance, sheltered from any kind of pain and suffering. The burden of the throne was too heavy so any luxury that can be afforded was provided.

“Don’t change the subject.” Tablo’s face was more serious now. “You might not feel the need to marry now but you cannot ignore it. It is your duty to-”

“I know my duties.” Jiyong cut him off, answering him with the same serious tone. He knew from when he was young that he must be engaged. The Queen would sometimes invite some girls for him to play with - the girls were either too boring or too loud for his company. Even now, when he was all grown up, the ladies that the Queen invites were either too vain, too shy or too insecure.

Too shallow.

He has never met someone who thought in the same wavelength, who felt in the same manner and who dreamed of the same dreams. In the whole Southern kingdom, he has found no one he could connect with.

“The ball will be tonight.” Tablo tells him with a raised eyebrow. “I trust that you’ll be very accommodating.”

“I am always accommodating. I am the charming prince remember?” Jiyong simply tells him before standing up and heading back to the palace. “Is that all you came here to say?”

“Well, I am here because the Queen sent for me.” Tablo walks behind him.

“What a good friend you are, Your Grace.” Jiyong, who was walking in front of him, holds up an imaginary dress and makes a small curtsy to annoy the duke.

The duke bows back and scoffs.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Wait with hope.

Jiyong sighs as he stared at the scribbled letters. He wasn’t sure that he had written these words himself. He wrote poetry to relax, to try to empty his mind. Which recently has been filled with anxiety and unease in regards to the royal engagement. Sooner or later, his parents would ask him to choose a bride. If he is unable to do so, the King and Queen will choose for him.

He was getting the feeling that this charity ball was actually charity for him.

Jiyong closes his diary and puts it back to his jacket pocket. Despite his objections, maybe deep inside he really did want someone to be with. Someone to share the burden and share the joys. Maybe deep inside, really does want someone to love.

Loud clanging of armoury breaks his train of thought.

“Sir Perry?” Jiyong called out. “Are we being attacked?”

It had been ten minutes since he was instructed to stay in his chambers. He was supposed to come to the Great Hall for the ball, but there seems to be an incident near the palace walls.

“The captain went to check, Your Highness.” A voice rang from the outside.

After a few more minutes, the captain of the Royal Guard finally appeared from the door to him to the Great Hall.

“A horse was found near the palace walls.” Perry explained as they walked. “No trace of its rider though.”

“Our guests?” Jiyong asked as he heard the music flow throughout the castle. He could see warm light seeping from the doors of the Great Hall.

“Awaiting you, Your Highness.”

The walls of the Great Hall open and Jiyong was greeted with nods and bows. Incidents like these happened frequently and in time you would get used to the little delays. But the show must go on. There was no pause from being a prince. You don’ get a day-off, not even a break. Being royalty was a lifelong occupation.

“Found you at last. Don’t tell me you haven’t seen them?”

Jiyong has just finished entertaining what seemed to be the hundredth guest when Tablo went up to him. “Who have I not seen?” Jiyong proceeds to his throne in the inner part of the room. There was entertainment prepared so he needed to sit and appear interested.

“The princesses of course!” Tablo takes a sip of his champagne. With a gloved finger, he started pointing to the maidens that were now huddled in a circle to watch the master magician, Wheesung, perform.

“From the Eastern Kingdom -” Tablo points to the ladies giggling and laughing at the magician who was now conjuring up roses from thin air. “Princesses Chaerin and Minji. Lovely and lively, those sisters are. They enjoy tea parties, archery and the occasional dance.”

“Your Grace-” Jiyong just mutters in amusement.

“Ah ah ah, let me finish.” Tablo holds up a finger. “Let me introduce now the princesses of the western Kingdom – Princesses Sandara and Bom.” He points to the two ladies who were silently watching the performance, fans and handkerchiefs hiding their surprised gasps. “They may look reserved but they have that fighting spirit.”

“Your Grace…” Jiyong now pleads for him to stop.

“Can you believe they were the girls you were playing with when you were young?” Tablo finishes his glass of champagne. “They have grown into fine women don’t you think?”

Jiyong rolls his eyes in defeat. Tablo could be so persistent. Jiyong couldn’t blame him though. It was the Queen’s request after all.

Jiyong looks at the ladies with hawk like eyes. Though he didn’t really dislike these people, he feels no affection for them whatsoever. And no matter what, he would always see them as his old friends, sisters even, but never as brides.

Next thing Jiyong heard was applause for his thoughts. He looks to the crowd and sees all of them smiling at him.

“Would the prince be so kind?” the magician extended his hand.

Jiyong stands without hesitation. He hears a quick “Go get them” from the duke before tapping his shoulder in encouragement.

“Let’s give a hand for His Highness, Prince Jiyong. For his bravery.” The master magician leads him to the middle of the hall. “And now, for the finale – The Vanishing Prince.”

Jiyong laughs and smiles as the magician tells a story to amuse the crowd. He was even the first to clap his hands when smoke rises from the sole of the magician’s shoes.

“Do not worry. You shall have your Prince back safe and sound.” The magician flicks his wrists before untying the cape hanging in his neck. Jiyong was counting with the crowd as the magician twirls the cape around him.

“One.”

Jiyong waves a little to the King and Queen, who were obviously enjoying the show. He sees Tablo on the side and he gives him a knowing smirk.

“Two!”

Jiyong waves at Perry and his guardsmen. His smile faltered as they saw the captain’s wide eyes and stunned face. His stomach drops as the captain shouts a loud “Stop” before signalling the guardsmen to strike. He feels the ground spinning as the cape twirled around him.

“THREE!”

A loud bang.

Then darkness.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Jiyong inhales the sweet lavender and his lungs feel instantly delighted. He buries his face in his soft pillow, hugging it tight, wishing he was allowed five more minutes of sleep. He stretches his hands and feet, noticing an aching on his back. It was mild, nothing too sore that a feathery mattress couldn’t relieve. He was drifting to sleep but a thought made him spring up.

Dressed in night robes, he sprinted to the hall.

“Your Highness,” the soldier guarding his door knelt down.

“Sir Perry?” Jiyong asked.

“He fell, Your Highness.” The soldier answered. “So did four other knights.”

Confusion clouded Jiyong’s mind and anger took hold of his insides. “No.” was all that he could say as he shook his head in disbelief. Whatever happened that night, whoever planned to kidnap him, didn’t succeed. The price of his safety was the lives of five men. Just a drop in the sea of soldiers in the King’s command but they were lives. They were someone’s father, husband, brother and son.

They died for the prince.

Jiyong closes his eyes, trying to remember what happened. He remembers the feeling of bound hands and feet. He sees a knife cutting the sack, freeing him from his s. He hears voices telling him to get up and run away, telling him to pick up the sword and fight. But then he does nothing as the knight stood in front, letting a sword cut through him, acting as a shield so that the prince wouldn’t get hurt.

Jiyong breaths heavily, grasping on the wall for balance. His hands never leave the wall as he hurried to a corner of his room, fingernails scraping the marble for signs of the camouflaged door. 

He breathes heavily as he ran the long passage to the King and Queen’s chambers.

“Mother, Father…” he peeks from the secret door. He finds the Queen lying on the bed and the King at her side holding her hand.

“My daughter, my daughter…” His mother called out as she slept, turning her head to the side as if she was looking for her lost child. The King calms her down by caressing her hand. “My dear, you have a son. We do not have a daughter.”

Jiyong stares, trying to get a grasp of the situation.

His mother wakes.

“He’s coming for him, the last King has come to take Jiyong.” Her mother hugged her husband. “Since the pact you made with the North’s last king couldn’t be fulfilled, he’s come to curse us. Why did you have to do it?” she wept.

“I did it to save this family. He rescued us and restored this kingdom. We owe our freedom and prosperity to him. All he asks is for a bride of his grandson before he died, so that the four worlds could unite and our children would rule the Unified Kingdom.”

“If only Jiyong was a princess…” he mother wept. “My daughter…”

Jiyong closes the door and sinks behind it. His hand shakes at the shocking confession. That was the destiny of the first born child of the Southern Kingdom. And he, Jiyong, was a tragic error.

All at once the flaws on his existence start to surface.  Being treated so delicately all his life because of her mother’s broken dream of having a daughter and fulfilling the pact. He was blessed. Spoiled. Sheltered.

Weak.

He could not even protect himself. How would he protect the entire kingdom?

Is his existence even worth fighting for? Worth dying for?

Wasn’t he a mistake?

 

-=oOo=-

 

The doors to Jiyong’s bedchambers swung open and the duke came bursting in with a worried face. Tablo rushed over the bed where the Queen sat. She was holding on a piece of parchment; Tablo recognized it as one of the pages in the prince’s journal.

“He left.” The Queen looked at Tablo with troubled face. She handed him the note.

Tablo’s face went white after reading the message. What would Jiyong like to accomplish by staying there? What was he trying to prove by going? And if ever he does succeed in that hellish place, if his identity is found, the consequences were severe.

I feel my existence has been a curse upon this kingdom. I find myself wishing to be the princess that would bring you happiness.  To be stronger, I have sought out the best mercenary training academy. I will fulfil your dream and unite the four kingdoms by my own hands. I will prove to our people, to the King and to you, that I am fit to rule our great land.

The parchment crumpled in the duke’s hand.

The consequence was death.

 

-=oOo=-

 

“YO TOP!”

Seunghyun looks up from his beer mug. He finds Mithra and Tukutz walking towards him with two mugs of beer in both hands. They had a smirk and tears in their eyes – they looked like they had just laughed their guts out from a very funny joke.

“Stop shouting my name you drunks!” Seunghyun grabbed Mithra’s shirt and pulled it close. “Wash your mouth, you smell like a dead horse!” Seunghyun pushed him away the next second.

“Don’t be so uptight, my friend.” Tukutz put an arm around him. “I talked to the barkeep” he waved a small purse in front of Seunghyun’s eyes. “They’ll signal to us when a guard comes through that door.” He drunkenly pointed to the entrance. “So relax and drink your beer. Enjoy the night because tonight…” he paused for effect. “Tonight is a dreeeeeee-

Mithra punched Tukutz in the stomach before he could continue with his high pitched song. They have sneaked out of the barracks to have a drink. The guards also frequented this place so they had to be careful. The next bar would be an hour away and they didn’t have much time. Seunghyun wasn’t one to break the rules but training in this weather was hard and a cold beer in a warm tavern was worth the risk.

“Let him sing!”

Seunghyun laughed as men in the tavern raised their beer mugs for his drunk friend. Tukutz continued with his song and Seunghyun found himself singing along.

“Mead please.”

Seunghyun put down his mug and turned to look at the person who was sitting beside him. He did not notice his presence before. He was of light build, probably the same age as him. It looks like he fell from his horse from all the mud on his pants. He might be working in the mines, considering the amount of charcoal in his shirt. It was raining before too, explaining his wet shoes and soaked cloak. He spoke in a gentle manner - almost in a whisper so that no one would hear. It was unusual that he ordered mead. Moreover, it was unusual that he said please.

Seunghyun tried to get a better view of the stranger’s face. He slightly left his chair and leaned in closer. He knew he was being rude but his instincts told him to look. Seunghyun noticed that the boy had spotted his interest because he turned his back towards him slightly.

Blame it on curiosity, but he needed to know who this person was.

Seunghyun forcefully grabbed the boy’s wrist and pulled so that he could see his face. “You’re not from around here, are you?” He expected to find a criminal - a prisoner who broke out or a traitor on the run. Instead he finds one of the most beautiful faces in God’s four kingdoms.

The cloak that hid his face was swept back and Seunghyun was taken aback by his pastel pink hair. He had mud in his face but Seunghyun could see the soft, pale, flawless skin underneath. He had the shiniest eyes, alarmed and slightly frightened, but beautiful nonetheless.

Seunghyun was speechless for a while. He recognized this face. He had seen him before. He was no common stranger. He was no wanderer. In front of him was Jiyong, the prince of the South, heir to the throne of the richest, wealthiest kingdom on earth. He went there when he was little and he couldn’t forget that face. In fact, it was all that he remembered from that place.

“What are you doing here?” Seunghyun asked. What kind of purpose does a prince have in this tavern? A lot of scenarios raced in his head. Was he held captive and escaped? Was he travelling and got lost?

“What brought you here?” he said in a softer tone. He suddenly realized that he was gripping the boy’s wrist too tightly and his voice sounded angry. He let him go.

“I came from the mountains.” The prince answered while massaging his wrist. “I’m on my way to the training academy.” The prince paused. “I want to be a mercenary.”

Seunghyun’s brain did a double flip. The prince was concealing his identity. Is he doing this to protect himself? He eyed the prince’s thin frame. Training at the academy couldn’t really be his purpose, could it? There must be something else that he wants.

“Why a mercenary?” Seunghyun casually asked as he took a sip of his beer. He wants to dig the prince’s true purpose out of him. “You look like you come from a well-off family.” Seunghyun regretted asking because the prince looked at himself, slightly puzzled that a stranger had gotten the idea that he came from a rich household despite his dirty clothes.

“My father,” the prince answered, not really looking at his eyes. “I want to prove to my father that I could do it.”

As Seunghyun watched the prince’s eyes burn with conviction, he understood. After all, he was in the training academy for the same reason. He has something to prove and he knew how it felt like.

“Yeah, I get that.” Seunghyun nods and flashes the prince a friendly smile.

“Can you take me there?” The prince asked, eyes widening in anticipation.

“Better than that,” Seunghyun emptied his mug and raised an eyebrow. “I can get you in. My father kinds of owns the place so I’ll talk to him.”

“Excellent!” The prince stood from his stool. “Take me there now.”

“Whoa!” Seunghyun raises both hands in the air. “Not so fast kid. I said I could get you in, but not for free.” Seunghyun saw how the prince eyes sharpened. “I need compensation.” He wanted to know how loaded the prince was.

“First of all, I’m not a kid.” The prince said with a spunky attitude. “I don’t have money with me right now, but...”

Seunghyun froze as the prince circled around him, eyeing him from head to foot. The prince was sizing him up, assessing him.

“I offer something much, much more-” The prince smiled wickedly. “Valuable.”

“Wha-” Seunghyun held his breath as the prince zoomed in on his face.  

“My friendship.” The prince held his gaze as he extended his right hand.

Seunghyun could only blink as he processed the prince’s odd request.  The prince smiled haughtily. “What do you say?”

“Night’s over boys.”

The barkeep appeared in front of them and tilted his head to the side. What seemed like a dozen guards entered the tavern and was heading towards them.

“We gotta go.” Mithra said through gritted teeth after downing his last mug. Tukutz was already at the back door motioning for them to hurry up.

Without a second thought, he shook the prince’s hand.

“Now, you shall take me-”

Seunghyun didn’t even let him finish as he grabbed the prince’s hand again, dragged him outside and ran. They ran and ran, jumping over puddles of mud and climbing over fences to get away from the soldier infested tavern.

They only slowed down when they reached the academy’s gates. Seunghyun blushed; he noticed he was holding hands with the prince the whole time.

“WHO’S THAT???!!!” Mithra shouted as they ran, pointing to the boy Seunghyun was dragging at his side. Only then did they notice someone else was tagging along.

“He wants to train.” Seunghyun answered after a few deep breaths.

“I’m GD.” Jiyong extended his hand to Mithra. “Nice to meet you.”

Mithra shook Jiyong’s hand before eyeing Seunghyun with a look that said “You can’t just bring people to the academy because they said they want to train. Are you crazy???”

Seunghyun just shrugged. He smiled to the prince, who looked really excited about this breaking in thing. He figures it was the prince’s first try at rebellion.

“What?” Jiyong asked when he caught him staring.

“Nice alia-. Nice name.” Seunghyun spoke quickly to cover it up. He didn’t want the prince to now he knew his real identity.

They waited until the guards were not looking before crawling their way to the castle wall. After a few minutes of sightless searching, they had found the rope with which they climbed down on to escape. 

“So GD, where did you say you were from?” Mithra asked as they hid behind a tower, waiting for another guard to finish his rounds.

Seunghyun took a deep breath. He suddenly felt worried for the prince. If his identity is revealed, they were done for.

“The highlands.” Jiyong answered casually.

“I have a friend in the highlands.” Mithra asked. Seunghyun could tell Mithra was testing Jiyong. “He keeps telling me to come to that place... What was the name…? The one with the steak…”

“Papa’s Inn?” Jiyong filled in. “If you’re talking about the lamb and the cider, it’s gotta be Papa’s.”

Seunghyun stared at Jiyong in disbelief. Only true highlanders would know that. Could GD really be the person he claims to be? Was he not the South’s prince after all?

No, Seunghyun couldn’t be mistaken. He knows the prince’s face when he sees it. This person beside him was the real deal. It just turns out the prince was an awesome liar, that’s all.

“We should go there sometime.” Jiyong added, while taking deep breaths. “I already miss the apple pies.”

It seems like Mithra was satisfied with Jiyong’s answer. If the overly suspicious Mithra was convinced, no one would doubt Jiyong’s identity again.

“That was close.” Tukutz plopped down his bed when they reached their dorm. They had shared sleeping quarters and they need to be extra quiet so as to not wake the others.

“This is where we sleep.” Seunghyun explained. “I’ll speak to the captain in the morning and ask him to make room for you here. In the meantime,-”

“Where’s your bed?” Jiyong asked him. He spoke in that royal, commanding tone that Seunghyun automatically pointed in the lonely mattress by the window.

Jiyong walked towards the mattress and laid down comfortably without another word. Seunghyun just stared at him with his mouth open. Jiyong was fluffing his pillows and arranging his blankets. Jiyong made sure he only occupied half of the bed before turning towards the wall and surrendering to sleep.

Seunghyun assumed the other half of the bed was for him and he climbed on to it, feeling unsure that he brought the Southern prince here. With a last look at the prince, he turned his back from him and focused on trying to sleep. Right now he didn’t want to think why the South’s prince was here, in the North, in this academy, in his bed, beside him. Why did he leave the South? Was the royal family having problems? Was that why he ran away?

Was he a spy? Was he being tricked?

Mithra was right. You can’t just bring people to the academy because they said they want to train.

Seunghyun rubbed his eyes. He decided he could save his questions for tomorrow. Seunghyun was just about to close his eyes when he heard a whisper.

“Hey, what’s your name?”

“TOP.” Seunghyun answered while turning his head to look at Jiyong again. The prince still had his back against him and was facing the wall.

“Good night TOP.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

Seunghyun gave a salute when the captain turned away. He tried to keep still as his insides were still shaking. It took him a long time to convince the captain to let Jiyong in the academy. He looked past his shoulder to Jiyong, whom he asked to keep distant while he talked to the captain in private. He could see Jiyong fidgeting where he stood, probably more nervous than him, waiting for the judgement.

“How did it go?” Jiyong’s eyes opened wide when he walked nearer. “Did I get in?”

Seunghyun could see Jiyong’s hopeful expression turn grim by each second he failed to answer. He didn’t want to delay his response, but he was fascinated by Jiyong’s honest face. It seemed to depict his feelings so well.

“What are you talking about?” Seunghyun walked past him. “Of course you got in. I told you I could get you in, didn’t I?” Seunghyun smiled to himself.

“Splendid!” Jiyong ran after him. In his joy, Jiyong skipped while he walked. Seunghyun hasn’t seen anyone be so happy for months of harsh training. Didn’t Jiyong know that this academy has the most brutal program and the most ruthless mentors?

 “I can’t wait for training to start!” Jiyong stretches his hands. “Where did you say breakfast was?” Jiyong asked when his stomach grumbled.

Seunghyun stopped mid a step. Had he done the right thing?

“We need to get you in uniform first.” Seunghyun motioned for Jiyong to follow him. When they had picked up Jiyong’s uniform, they hurried to the washroom to get him changed.

“TOP!” Jiyong called through the door. Seunghyun was standing outside waiting for him to come out. It was taking Jiyong an awfully long time to wash and change. He knew royalty fancied long baths but Jiyong was taking ages.

“Yeah?” Seunghyun shouted back. “You done?”

Seunghyun opened the door and closed it right away. For moment he thought he saw a lady inside. “GD?” he asked as he slowly opened the door.

What greeted him was Jiyong’s slender figure turned back at him, rosy pink hair in disarray. It looks like he was having a hard time buttoning his cuffs. “Can you help me?”

Jiyong turned to the side and when Seunghyun saw his face, his jaw dropped. “Whoa.” he breathed out. It was like a fairy was standing in front of him. Unlike that time at the bar, Jiyong didn’t have mud and dirt on his face. He was taken aback - he had never seen such pretty features on a man before. Men in the north had fierce eyes and sharp features. They were manly in scary ways, especially in appearance. Around here, Jiyong could pass a girl. Hell, he’d be prettier than most of them.

Not good.

“Thanks.” Jiyong smiled, holding out his hand for Seunghyun to do his cuffs. He felt like a servant when he did Jiyong’s buttons. Jiyong was undoubtedly a prince, his bearing was enough proof at that.

“Is there something on my face?” Jiyong asked, snapping him out of his daze.

“You must take after your mother.” Seunghyun blurted out when Jiyong caught him staring. “Seriously, you’d get beaten up here if you look like that.”

“Really?” Jiyong raised a brow in disbelief. He suddenly grabbed his dirty clothes and smudged his finger with the charcoal. He put some on his eyes so they were lined and somewhat smoky. “Good enough?” Jiyong asked with a mischievous smile.

Seunghyun grinned. “Yeah, you pass.” He crossed his arms, eyeing Jiyong from head to foot. “You look good.” He patted Jiyong’s shoulder in approval.

Jiyong matched his grin. “Okay then.” They walked out of the washroom together. “I give you permission to stare.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

“YO TOP!”

Seunghyun looks up from his plate and finds whole dining hall had his eyes fixed on him. When Mithra and Tukutz sat down in their table, he banged their heads together. “Didn’t I say to stop shouting my name!”

Jiyong laughed at them. Seunghyun was amused by his manly giggles.

They talked over breakfast. Mithra and Tukutz doing most of them actually. They seemed to have taken an interest in Jiyong and Seunghyun couldn’t help but be worried. If the prince somehow get careless and gives a hint on his identity, that would be catastrophic. The North and South weren’t enemies but if they learn that an unfriendly visitor was inside, it would be dangerous.

“Do you know how to use a sword?” Mithra asked before Jiyong could take another bite. “Or a bow?” Tukutz followed. “How about a horse?” “Are you good with a lance?” “Ever been in a melee?” “How good are you in hand combat?” “Do you know how to dance?” “Or perhaps sing?” “Do you have a sister?” “What is her name?”

“CAN’T THE GUY HAVE A BITE FIRST?!”  Seunghyun almost shouted. “You guys are seriously driving me crazy!”

Everyone in the hall stopped from eating to stare at them. Seunghyun sighed deeply before standing abruptly and going out of the mess hall. Suddenly the thought of Jiyong training was upsetting him. He was beginning to imagine other people beating Jiyong up and it was worrisome. He couldn’t put a name to it but he finds himself concerned for the prince. He feels it’s his duty to protect him.

“What’s his problem?” Tukutz asked no one in particular.

“Is he always like that?” Jiyong asked as he took a bite of his potato.

“Neh.” Mithra answered. “He probably went to the bathroom or something. He does that a lot, in the middle of a conversation too.”

“He said his father kinds of own this place? What’s he doing in here training?” Jiyong asked, curious about his new friend.

“Well, he doesn’t talk about himself that much but I heard he’s the son of some noble.” Tukutz answered. “Unlike the rest of us who came here to train for work, he’s here on his father’s orders.”

“His father sent him here as punishment or something like that. He wouldn’t say.” Mithra told them in whisper. “I tried asking him once but it must be too painful to discuss. I think his father and him don’t get along.”

Tukutz nodded in sympathy. “Anyways, if you’re as good as you say you are, I hope you get in our team and -”

Mithra and Tukutz could only stare with mouths open as Jiyong flew past the hall to run after Seunghyun.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Seunghyun needed time to be alone and what better place to be than his own personal lounging area: the stables.

“Hey there Gaho.” Seunghyun waves to the white, mean looking horse who whined the moment he stepped inside. He grabs a sack of apples and throws one at the eager beast.

“Hi Rookie.” He now gives the other horse a carrot. He was the brown one that Seunghyun had been taking care of since his first day.

“You guys won’t believe what I picked up yesterday…” Seunghyun talked to them as if the animals understood. “Don’t tell anyone,” he whispered. “But I think I found a prince.”

The horses whined and it made him laugh. Seunghyun swears Gaho and Rookie were better friends than Mithra and Tukutz. At least, they were better when it comes to listening and being open. Here he could talk without fear of being judged.

The told them how he met the prince, the incident with him in the bed and even his surprise when he saw him in the washroom.

“Now I’m really scared for him you know?” Seunghyun fed another carrot to Rookie. “He was telling Tukutz earlier how good he was with a blunt sword. He even challenged Mithra for goodness sake.” Seunghyun huffed. “I mean come on, I know the standards may be different where he came from but with that body of his, out here, I don’t think he could stand a chance against --”

Seunghyun stops and turns around when he hears the stable doors creak. His heart jumps out of his chest when he saw Jiyong standing there, staring at him.

How long has he been in there? What had he heard?

“So you think I don’t stand a chance?” Jiyong raised an eyebrow, crossed his arms and came rushing in.

Seunghyun sighed in relief. Luckily, Jiyong had only heard the last thing he said.

“I should pummel you right now, you infidel.”

Gaho and Rookie whined when Jiyong stepped further in. The two horses were in this special stable for a reason. Rookie was a pure breed so he was under special care. Gaho, however, was a wild horse. Aside from Seunghyun and a select few, he never obeys. 

“Hey, GD step back!” Seunghyun tried to calm Gaho down. Rookie was getting wild too so Seunghyun gave him a treat first. When he turned to Jiyong again, he sees the prince walking over to Gaho. “GD NO!”

Seunghyun closes his eyes when Gaho reared, hoisting its front legs as it stood up high, ready to kick the trespasser down.

“Whoa boy!” Jiyong shouts with his hands in the air. “Calm down!” Jiyong approaches slowly as the horse continued to whine. “I said, down boy!”

Seunghyun finds himself staring again as Jiyong made an assortment of clicking sounds and just like that, Gaho the wild horse calmed down. “Shhh…” Jiyong now had his face close to Gaho’s nose, the horse’s cheeks with a hand. “Good boy.”

Jiyong turns to Seunghyun as he now handfed the horse his favourite fruit. “What’s his name?”

“G-Gaho.” Seunghyun stuttered. “This one’s Rookie.”

Seunghyun could only stare as Jiyong gently patted Gaho, caressing his sides as if he’d done that before. “I suddenly miss my Jolie.” Jiyong said as he continued to brush the horse’s main.

Seunghyun looks up, surprised at hearing a girl’s name. “My horse back home.” Jiyong explained. “Sometimes, I talk to her for hours. When I’m sad and no one’s around, Jolie was always there for me. Horses are great listeners.”

“I know what you mean. They make good friends.” Seunghyun laughed, patting Rookie and giving him another carrot. “I feel lighter every time I come here.”

“So you do have a problem.” Jiyong smiled at him. “You know, I may talk back but I can be a good friend too.” Jiyong walked up to him. “I gave you my friendship, didn’t I?” He grabbed an apple from Seunghyun’s sack, wiped his sleeve on it and took a bite. “It’s a rare thing; so don’t take it lightly.”

Seunghyun laughed. “Got it.” He smiled back. “So what exactly did Mithra and Tukutz tell you?”

“They said your father sent you here as punishment. Is that true?” Jiyong asked looking directly at his eyes.

“Yeah.” Seunghyun fixed his eyes on Rookie. It’s his first time talking about his father and he’s surprised how comfortable it is to have Jiyong listen. “Don’t get me wrong, my father is a great man. It’s just that he expects a lot from me. He sent me here and he wants me to do big things but I’m not sure I have what it takes.”

“You should be happy.” Jiyong told him with a stern face. “I am here because no one believes I could do it. I am already a failure in my family’s eyes.”

Seunghyun didn’t know how to react. He had doubted the prince too. He felt like a fool.

“But I am here to prove them wrong.” Jiyong smiled this time. “You will too, I can feel it. Some people are destined to be great and I saw that in you.”

Jiyong walked up to him. “TOP, you are destined for big things.” He made a fist and gently struck his chest. “You just have to believe in yourself.”

Seunghyun could feel his heart clench. Jiyong had a way of saying it that made you believe. The burden he carried was a lot less heavy now.

“Thanks.” He nodded. “But you shouldn’t worry about that.” Seunghyun began to get busy patting Rookie to hide his flustered cheeks. “What we should worry about is the team selection.”

“What team selection?” Jiyong asked as they finished cleaning up the stable.  “The one where you think I don’t stand a chance?”

Seunghyun put a hand on Jiyong’s shoulder as they walked and squeezed hard. He was worried yes, but seeing Jiyong’s confidence gave him a little of his own. “Nah. You’ll do just fine. ”

 

-=oOo=-

 

“Just try not to get killed.”

Seunghyun changed his mind about Jiyong in the team selection.  It was a fight to determine where the new recruits would be placed. There was a panel of judges and if you had good marks, you could be placed in the stronger teams - which only meant you would get better training, if not harsher, because the King wouldn’t spend their resources to someone without potential. Being placed in the lower teams was harder, since training was longer and climbing up the ladder could take months. The teams also fight in mini tournaments and the winners get a prize. Being in the stronger teams make the stay in the academy a lot less harsh.

Seunghyun, MIthra and Tukutz were in the leading team. Seunghyun was worried that Jiyong could be placed in the lower teams. If he did, Jiyong would be spending time with the rowdy commoners and it might not be a pleasant experience for the prince. Moreover, he would be spending a lot less time with Seunghyun. That was unacceptable.

But now, Jiyong’s placement was far from Seunghyun’s mind. All he prayed for was for Jiyong to be alive after the selection process.

“Yeah, right. Thanks.” Jiyong said sarcastically. He ran to the center of the field, to where the new recruits were gathered. “See you in a bit.” Jiyong shouted as he looked back.

Seunghyun waved at him worriedly as he watched him leave.

“If he dies, it’s on you.” Mithra stood beside him, crossing his arms.

“I bet he wouldn’t make it past hand combat.” Tukutz stood on his other side.

“Ten gold coins and you’re on.” Seunghyun made a fist and gave Tukutz a pound.

“Oi look. GD’s up.” Mithra pointed to Jiyong who was now getting on his lane. The first test was archery.

Seunghyun thought Jiyong could do fine here. Since there was no fighting required, Jiyong could do his worst but still make it alive. Besides, the prince did say that he was the best in archery over breakfast. He had ten arrows and if he scores well, his marks would go up.

Jiyong steps up, aims and shoots.

He misses.

In fact, his bow slips from his hands and it fell on the ground. There were boos and laughter from the audience.

“Oohhh…” Tukutz cringes. “Didn’t he say he was the best at this?”

Seunghyun prayed in his head. How humiliating, he thinks. He wishes he could just scoop the prince from where he stood and hide him in the highest room in the tallest tower.

“Sorry,” Jiyong apologizes as he picks up his bow. “Tsk tsk. It’s too light.” The crowd laughs at him. He dropped the bow and now he’s saying that it’s light? Seunghyun was astounded at how arrogant the prince could be.

At his second attempt, Jiyong manages not to drop the bow but the arrow didn’t shoot. In fact, it fell too.

“Oh god,” MIthra hides his face in his hands. “He’s awful.”

Jiyong’s third attempt was more successful. He managed to shoot the arrow but it landed short of the target board. His fourth attempt was also a miss, this time going past the target board.

“Hey look,” Seunghyun straightened his back. Jiyong’s fifth attempt had hit the board. On the edge, but it was not a miss. The sixth arrow was the same. Everyone was yawning now. Loser, they shouted.

The seventh arrow landed at nine, just centimetres from the gold. Everyone who got bored by watching suddenly sprung back to life. Did the awful newbie get a lucky shot?

Seunghyun squinted and he saw Jiyong’s face. It was relaxed and focused. It was the first time he saw him this serious.

“s.” Jiyong whispered as he gracefully released the bowstrings. Gasps could be heard from the crowd.

A ten.

“HEY GUYS!” Jiyong turned around waved at them. Jumping and shouting as he did. “DID YOU SEE THAT?! DID YOU SEE THAT?!”

“Nice shot!” Seunghyun shouted back. Still smiling, Jiyong grabbed another arrow, effortlessly shooting right away. It lands in the ten again, just beside the previous one.

The audience were rowdy now, surprised at the sudden turn of events. Even their archery champions have a hard time hitting center twice in a row.

Jiyong took his last arrow and exhaled slowly. Seunghyun could see Jiyong closing his eyes, taking his time and concentrating. With both eyes closed, he released the last arrow and it lands in the pinhole, center of the gold.

Bull’s eye.

“Well what do you know!” Tukutz exclaimed as they too celebrated. “Little kid has some skill!”

“I never doubted him for a second.” Mithra said, earning him a hit on the back of his head. “Didn’t you say he was awful?” Tukutz scolded.

Seunghyun looked at Jiyong, who was now smiling silly as the new recruits gathered around him. Some of the upperclassmen also went up to him and shook his hand. Seunghyun smiled too, seeing Jiyong was being surrounded by people who admired him. Jiyong had become the academy’s celebrity in an instant.

Seunghyun waves as Jiyong lifts his head above the crowd to look at him. He sees Jiyong escaping from the mess of the people and running towards him. “Not bad, but I think you overdid it with the last sho-”

Seunghyun was cut midsentence as Jiyong leaped at him for a hug. His heart skipped a beat then stopped beating altogether.  Only when Jiyong released him did his heart beat again.

“Didn’t I tell you I was good at this?” Jiyong was now getting his back patted by Tukutz and Mithra.

“Come here!” Mithra put his hands around Jiyong. “This is my boy right here! Okay, nobody touch the golden boy!  Make way!”

They walked to the next venue like that – people trailing behind, wishing to get a closer view of the miracle boy.

Seunghyun however, stayed behind the crowd, idly walking behind them. Jiyong’s sudden hug made him unexpectedly weak in the knees. Aside from that, he couldn’t help but feel a sting in his chest.

An arrow straight to the heart.

 

-=oOo=-

 

“Are you alright?”

Seunghyun hands him a cup of water. Jiyong had just finished a set of tests and he looked awfully spent. His performance was average but since he was exceptional at target practice, all eyes were fixed on him.

“What kind of agility test is that?” Jiyong complained as he took the cup. “This academy is nuts.”

“You’re almost done.” Mithra consoled. “Two more games to go.” He rubbed his hands together. “Blunt sword and hand combat.”

Seunghyun could see Jiyong flinch. It seems like Jiyong was worried for the hand combat part. That was his fear as well. Close contact fights were undoubtedly the prince’s weakness.

“Bad news fellows.” Mithra ran towards them with a worried face. “You just ran out of luck, GD. They ran out of volunteers. It’s you and Masta Wu at hand combat.”

“Master what?” Jiyong asked in an exasperated tone.

“We call him Masta Wu.” Mithra explained. “No one could beat him at hand combat around here.” He looked at Seunghyun with a sheepish smile. “Except perhaps…”

“Just try to get good marks.” Seunghyun gave him tips. “You don’t need to knock him out. Just a few hits could get you points too.”

“Fine.” Jiyong stood up as the call for the new recruits rang.

“Hey GD!” Seunghyun shouted before Jiyong could get too far away. He could see the worry in Jiyong’s eyes and he wanted to give him a little courage. “You can do it.”

Jiyong just nodded and smiled before turning away.

“I’ll be back, save me a seat.” Seunghyun left the arena. He suspects Jiyong would be all bloody and hurt after this. Everyone was like that after their first try, even him. He ran to get the ointment his mother gave. It was best for minor cuts and soothing for bruises and aches. He only had little left and he thought about saving it for himself but he decides Jiyong would need it more right now.

When he got hold of it, he ran fast back to the arena, never wanting to miss a single second of Jiyong’s fight.

“How’s he doing?” Seunghyun panted as he tapped Tukutz shoulder.

“It’s over.” Tukutz answered, mouth agape and eyes fixed on the fight.

For a second, Seunghyun’s insides recoiled. Had Masta Wu pulverized Jiyong in a matter of seconds?

But then he sees Jiyong still standing – alive and intact so it seemed. If that’s the case, had Jiyong beaten Masta Wu?

“He forfeited.” Mithra expounded. “I don’t believe it. It’s the first time anyone has done it.”

There were whispers from the audience. Their miracle wonder boy had turned out to be a coward after all, announcing a forfeit as soon as he stepped inside the ring and saw his opponent. Even the weakest soldier had enough heart to continue fighting once faced with a strong adversary.

There were boos from the crowd as Jiyong left the arena. Seunghyun felt woeful at the noises. “GD what happened?” Seunghyun ran to him. He was so proud of Jiyong. The prince was chasing his dream and he was fearless and bold. He didn’t expect for him to crumble that easily. “Why’d you give up?”

“Did you see him?” Jiyong laughed, pointing to Masta Wu who was now bragging his brains out. Jiyong doesn’t appear to be bothered by the clucking the people made as he passed by. “I’d be dead by now if I went through with it. Look at me.” Jiyong stopped walking. “I can’t win him in this state.”

“But winning is not that important GD.” Seunghyun walked beside him. “Even if there’s no chance of winning, there’s merit on fighting and giving it a try.”

“I know you’re telling this to me for my sake but sometimes,” Jiyong looked up at him. “It is also wise to know when not to fight.” Jiyong smiled at him. “It also takes courage to step down when it is needed. There is also merit in that.”

Seunghyun’s feet stopped moving as Jiyong walked ahead. He was surprised by the wisdom the prince possessed. He never ceases to amaze.

“Now,” Jiyong turned around to look back at him. “Take me to the blunt sword pitch. There, I may have a fighting chance. I have been learning the skill recently…” the prince continued to ramble.

Seunghyun smiled inwardly and hurried to catch up to Jiyong’s level. In all sense of the word.

 

-=oOo=-

 

After the forfeit, MIthra and Tukutz seemed to have lost their cheering spirits. The team selection was in its last leg and blunt sword was the only event left. The new recruits were expected to be awful at this, since being good with the sword required some sort of formal training.

“Admit it, his strategy worked.” Seunghyun sat between his two friends. Half of the new recruits were bloody and weak at this point and only Jiyong was in good fighting condition.

“Hey GD!” Mithra’s voice bellowed. “Looking good bro!” They could see Jiyong laughing inside his armour. It was his turn next.

“On your feet, TOP.”

Seunghyun looks back and sees their captain calling for him. “Get in gear. You’re testing golden boy next.”

Seunghyun didn’t have enough time to think as he put on his armour. He could hear his heartbeat echoing inside the metal. He had never been so nervous all his life. His thoughts were flying around everywhere.

Should he go easy on him? What if the panel notices?

Seunghyun shook his head. Never mind the panel; if Jiyong finds out, he’d be mad as hell.

Should he go all out then? But what if he hurts Jiyong? He doesn’t want to hurt him.

Seunghyun almost asks the captain to not let him fight. But then if someone were to hurt Jiyong, Seunghyun thought it would be best if it was him.

The crowd cheers as he stepped into the ring. It looks like Jiyong doesn’t know that it was him behind the armour. The fight was freeplay so Seunghyun decided he’d let Jiyong make the first move.

“Concentrate, concentrate.” Seunghyun hears Jiyong whisper to himself.

Seunghyun decided to do the same, surveying Jiyong’s actions and sizing up his movements.

In a flash, Jiyong steps up, extending his arm and threatening with a cut. Seunghyun parries and counterattacks, easily pointing to a valid target in Jiyong’s body and moving forward, causing Jiyong to fall back.

The crowd applauded for Seunghyun but in his head, he was secretly cheering for Jiyong to stand up.

Jiyong stands, using his sword to balance himself. They carry on with their fight, this time Seunghyun making the first move.

He advances, stretching his arm to make a hit. Jiyong had completely avoided his attack – the prince was surprisingly fast and agile. They both lifted their sword to strike at the same time resulting in a double hit. Since they hit at the same time, both strikes should be nullified. Because of the difference in strength however, Seunghyun’s connected and Jiyong falls down again.

From the outside, the hits look like they don’t hurt at all. But inside the armour, the pain is excruciating.

“Come on Jiyong, stand up.” Seunghyun thinks as he paced around, waiting for Jiyong to get up.

It takes a second for Jiyong to stand; Seunghyun could see the prince’s legs wobble. He also noticed Jiyong trying to shake off his dizziness.

Seunghyun raises his fist. The crowd goes wild. It was his signature pose, announcing he would end the fight in the next hit. He decides he would give Jiyong his best shot and hopefully end this fight in a flash because Jiyong wouldn’t last long either way.

Just then, Jiyong advances, dashing in front of him in lightning speed and began to strike. Seunghyun manages to parry, preventing the attack from arriving. The surprise prevents him from responding with an attack immediately and Jiyong was already reclaimed priority with a renewed offensive attack.

Jiyong manages to strike him and Seunghyun failed to defend. However, Seunghyun delivers a strong afterblow in the immediately following tempo, taking no more than a slight movement of foot to strike.

The hit causes Jiyong to fall down. The game ended when Jiyong failed to stand up again.

“Hey, GD are you alright?” Seunghyun removes his helmet and hurries to take off Jiyong’s. “Sorry, I should have gone easy with the last blow. Are you okay?”

Jiyong eyes widened for a second, surprised at discovering Seunghyun was his opponent. Then his eyes rolled to the back of his head as his consciousness left him.

 

 

-=oOo=-

 

 

Jiyong woke, stretching his arms and feet before relaxing them again. He inhales and takes in the sweet scent of eucalyptus. It’s nice to be back on your own bed.

Wait a minute.

He sits up abruptly, wondering why the bed was soft and smelling of flowers. He was supposed to be in the barracks, in TOP’s hard mattress in the corner of their shared sleeping quarters.

“Hey there.” TOP greets him. He was sitting on the bed beside him.

Jiyong slumps back to bed right away. For moment there, he thought he was back at the palace. “Is this the nurses’ office?” he sleepily asked, wondering how long he was allowed to stay in the warm comforters.

“This is our room now.” TOP answered, lifting his head and pausing from writing.

“Our room?” he sat up again.

“Yeah. Didn’t I say?” TOP paused from writing again. “My father kinds of own this place so I asked him for a room.”

“If you could have asked for a room then, why didn’t you ask before?” he sits up to get a full view of TOP’s face, raising an eyebrow and eyeing him suspiciously.

“Well before you came, I didn’t think I needed one.” TOP stands up and ruffles his hair. “Get  dressed. Meet you at the mess hall for breakfast.” He stands up and leaves.

Jiyong didn’t think it could happen to him, but he feels a tingling sensation in his cheeks when TOP touched his hair.

“Hey TOP!” Jiyong ran after him, poking his head outside the room. “Um, thanks for yesterday.” He shouted, referring to their sword fight. He really appreciated TOP’s efforts to be serious with him. He would not have liked it if he had gone easy just because they were friends.

Seunghyun gives him a charming smile. “No problem.” He winked.

With a light, cheerful feeling, Jiyong walks to the washrooms. He has a habit of taking a bath first before going to breakfast. It’s one of the activities that he does alone so he enjoys the privacy. He reached the washroom, hoping for some alone time only to find out it was full of people.

Full of young, healthy, rowdy, men.

“Oh boy.” Jiyong coughs. Never in his life had he taken a bath in the midst of so many people. The thought was just so irksome for him. He doesn’t know what it feels like to have men staring at his body. He hasn’t tried a public bath before.

Maybe now would be a time to start.

It would be suspicious if he refused to take a bath now. Besides, he couldn’t go to breakfast without cleaning himself first. He removes his shirt and finds himself being covered right away.

“Slow down princess!” TOP covered him with his jacket and dragged him away.

“T-T-TOP what are you doing?!” Jiyong protested as the taller man dragged him away. “I’m about to take a bath!”

TOP didn’t answer him and just continued to lead him away. “Go in here.”

“But isn’t this the captain’s washroom?!” Jiyong blurted out as TOP pushed him in. “I’ll get caught!”

“No you won’t.” TOP shouted from outside the door. “Relax, I’ll guard the door.”

Jiyong just stood inside there for a minute. “T-Thanks.” He stuttered. He wonders why TOP was giving him the special treatment. Well, he was used to receiving special treatment since he was born, being a prince and all that, but never like this. He’s never been treated like this. He was just a normal student on the academy, yet TOP treats him like this.

It made him feel warm inside.

“You must have used this bath many times now, haven’t you?” Jiyong laughed as he enjoyed the bath.

He could hear Seunghyun laugh on the other side. “The water’s ice cold in the showers. And the line is so long today, we’ll miss breakfast at this rate.”

“Are you telling me to hurry up?” Jiyong asks playfully.

Seunghyun laughs again. “Hurry up!” His voice changed suddenly. He sounded hurried and alarmed.  “The captain’s coming!”

“WHAT???!!!”

“Just kidding!” Seunghyun laughed at him. “Calm down. You can take your time.”

Jiyong emerges from the bathroom, gently knocking at the back of Seunghyun’s head with his knuckles. They went down the mess hall laughing and playing, mostly TOP grabbing Jiyong by the neck and playfully scuffing his hair.

“YO TOP!”

Both of them looked up and find Mithra and Tukutz waving at them. They approached their table. As soon as Jiyong sat down, Mithra pounded on his shoulder. “Hey congratulations golden boy, you made it in our team!”

“I did?” Jiyong looked over at TOP and found him snickering. .

“Well after you passed out they announced the results of the team selection.” Tukutz told him. “They were impressed with your bow and arrow skills. I heard they’re shaping you up for the tournament.”

“What’s this?” Jiyong was surprised when TOP put a small round gold pin his jacket. He smiled as he patted it in place.

“You’re in the leading team now.” TOP  pointed to a similar pin in his own jacket. “Wear it proud.”

They laughed as they recalled Jiyong’s performance yesterday. Breakfast has never been so lively. All throughout their conversations he had caught a smiling TOP staring at him. He felt his cheeks blush and decided to confront him about it.

“What’s the matter?” Jiyong asked as they joked around.

“You should eat. Training will start soon and you’ll get hungry.” TOP whispered to him, sounding genuinely concerned.

Jiyong stared at his food. He missed the palace’s dishes. He wasn’t used to eating common people food. But then again, there’s a start for everything.

He took a bite of the solid hard potato and smiled weakly to TOP.

The man smiled back before getting back on his own breakfast.

 

 

-=oOo=-

 

 

“HEY GD!”

Jiyong looks up, surprised that it was his name that was being called this time.

“Don’t forget to meet us in the arena later.” Mithra shouted. There was a mini tournament today and the leading team was being challenged. That only means they have a chance at getting a reward if they win.

“Sure!” Jiyong shouted, putting on his jacket and racing out the door. “I’m off to target practice. See ya!”

However, the moment he steps out the mess hall, people had ganged up on him.

“Cluck. Cluck.” Someone had said. “I don’t understand why you have to be placed on Mithra’s team. Those were just lucky shots. Coward.”

Jiyong slipped away when someone tried to pin him to the wall. “That’s because I have skill and you don’t, stupid.” Jiyong said under his breath. He suddenly remembered the duke and his lifelong effort of correcting his language.

“What did you say?!” They grabbed his shoulder and turned him around.

“If you’d get back to training instead of wasting your time on me, maybe you’d learned some.” Jiyong didn’t lower his voice this time, earning him a kick to the gut. He coughed and rolled on the ground as the bullies continued to kick him down.

It was his first time being terrorized like this. If he was back at his kingdom, one word and these men could be beheaded just like that. He could imprison their families and burn their house and crops to the ground with one lift of a finger.

Jiyong coughed as the men backed down. They left him lying on the ground. He staggered to get up and walk away as if nothing happened. When he finally reached the target range, he learns that the bullies were the same people he’d spent the rest of training with.

The rest of the day went like that. If he wasn’t being praised by the upperclassmen, he was being terrorized by the new recruits. He wished he could tell TOP about it but it was too embarrassing. This was his problem and he should be the one to solve it.

“Look at him parading Mithra’s pin.” He heard someone say behind him. “That jacket would look better than me, don’t you agree?”

“Let me go!” Jiyong pushed the attackers. They had grabbed him by the collar of his jacket and were starting to strip it off him. “Give it back!”

Jiyong was pushed back violently and was sent to the brick walls. “You don’t deserve to wear this.” One of them said. “If you still want it, come and get it, coward.”

Jiyong reviewed his options. He was outnumbered and there was no way he could get his jacket back. The most wise move would be to stop fighting for now and get back at them later.

But then he remembered how TOP smiled at him when he was putting the pin.

“I SAID, GIVE IT BACK!”

There was merit in trying too.

 

-=oOo=-

 

“Just wait.” Jiyong fed Gaho some apples. “We’ll get back at them.” He skipped lunch and went to the stables. After being beaten up twice that morning, he couldn’t come to the mess hall looking like some beggar. Moreover, he still have to make up a story on how he lost his jacket.

“I thought the training was hard.” He threw a carrot to Rookie as he sat on the hay. “I didn’t know living here was harder.”

He breathed hard. It was only one day and he already found himself wishing he was home. Did he really need to do this? He could be sipping tea with the Queen right at this moment.

Jiyong tried hard not to cry. He knew it from the beginning and there was no use trying to prove otherwise - he was weak. He will fail at this and he will come home with tail between his legs.

“I thought I’d find you here.”

Jiyong looks to the door in surprise. “TOP!” he hastily wiped his eyes. “What are you doing here?”

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at lunch?” TOP went inside and sat beside him.

“What is it with you and food?” Jiyong asked with a punch to the shoulder. “Are you fattening me up?”

TOP only laughed in answer.

“What happened to you?” Jiyong asked when he found TOP’s clothes covered in dirt and mud. Training for the upperclassmen appears to be harsher and more severe by the looks of it. Jiyong concludes that nothing in this academy is easy.

“You’re not exactly sparkling yourself.” TOP ruffles his hair again. Jiyong didn’t know why, but the action calmed his nerves and gave him some spirit.

TOP straightens up and extends his arm to help him stand. “Come on, the tournament’s about to start.”

Jiyong stands and shakes off the hay that stuck in his clothes. There was darkness and for the second time that day, he finds something covering his face.

“Hey, what’s the deal-?” Jiyong lifts the fabric from his face and stared. His heart stop beating and he forgot to breathe as he held his battered jacket. It had dirt all over it but the pin still glistened.

“TOP, did you-?”

TOP was already outside the stables when he called out.

“Hurry up, we’re going to be late.” He heard him shout.

Did he get into a fight for this?

The realization put a smile in Jiyong’s face as he ran to catch up.

 

-=oOo=-

 

 

“Tell me,” Jiyong nudged Tukutz who was sitting beside him in the bleachers. “Is TOP really that good in a fight?”

They watched as TOP got ready for the tournament. Tukutz eyed him weirdly.

“I mean I fought him yesterday but I think he was still holding back.” Jiyong asked, curious about his new friend’s abilities.

“Well…He isn’t in the leading team for nothing.” Tukutz answered straight. “Didn’t you know? He’s like a champion here. He’s an excellent all-rounder but he’s the best when it comes to the sword. He’s the person to beat when it comes to swordfights.”

“He’s what?” Jiyong blinked his eyes wide at the confession. That guy that was messing around with his hair moments ago was the bad in the academy. How did he not pick up on that?

“We won’t be seeing his sword skills today though.” Mithra sat with them. “He listed himself on hand combat.”

“Too bad.” Jiyong sulked. He really wished he could see TOP’s skills at its best.

“He got all irritated this morning.” Mithra told them. “Something about Masta Wu being too cocky during training. After you stepped down from the fight yesterday and all.”

Jiyong looked at Mithra with a puzzled face. He tore his eyes away from his friend and now focused at the ring.

On one side, Masta Wu was huddled with his team. They appeared to be laughing at a very funny inside joke. “Won’t you be forfeiting too?” Masta Wu chuckled at TOP when he entered the ring.

Jiyong focused on TOP this time and was taken aback. TOP had become scary all of a sudden. His eyebrows were furrowed and his fists were clenched too tight it look like it hurt. When they fought yesterday he had a helmet on and Jiyong couldn’t see his face. He hasn’t seen what he looked like when he was serious.

There was an announcement and the fight began.

Masta Wu was already on offense and he attacked Seunghyun with a series of punches. TOP blocked most of them but still it looked like it hurt. TOP also attacked but Masta Wu was able to deflect it and counter attack quickly. A quick punch to his face sent TOP bending over to the ground.

Jiyong was unaware, but he stood up when TOP fell down.

“YO TOP!” He shouted. “GET UP!”

Jiyong could see TOP looking up at him. He could suddenly read the man’s thoughts.

“What did I say about shouting my name?!”

Jiyong feels a tremor run down his spine. Masta Wu was looking up at him too. He had an impish smile.

“Why don’t you forfeit?” Masta Wu pounded on his fists. “Like you’re friend Chicken over there.”

The next second, TOP was slowly trying to get up. When he regained his footing, he raised his fist.

“Oho…” Mithra was at the edge of his seat. “His planning to end the match with the next blow.”

“Watch closely.” Tukutz’s squinted. “You might miss it.”

 Jiyong followed their advice. He was so nervous now. More nervous compared to when he was in his own fights. “You can do it TOP, come on.” Jiyong silently chanted.

Jiyong wanted to close his eyes when Masta Wu advanced towards TOP, ready to knock him out. TOP didn’t move until the last second but then he slightly moved back, fist clenching tight, posed for strike and

BAM!

Masta Wu topples to the ground in bone crushing speed.

Jiyong celebrates with the crowd but then he stops. He rushes to the ring as he saw blood dripping in TOP’s hands. With bloody knuckles, TOP picks up the unconscious Masta Wu by the collar and was angrily whispering something in his ears.

When Jiyong reached the ring, Seunghyun was already ending the one-sided conversation.

“...ever talk about him like that ever again.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

“Ow, ow, ow,” TOP squeeled when Jiyong put ointment on his hands.

“Stop being a baby!” Jiyong laughed as he tried to put on the bandages. He pressed on it hard making TOP squeal louder.

Feeling guilty, he patted at it softly. The laughter died down and they become silent. Jiyong was still holding to TOP’s hand as he slowly fixed the bandages. He can’t seem to let TOP’s hands go.

“TOP.” He called out, looking down at the hands and avoiding his eyes. “I’m not sure how to say this but…” he paused, scratching his cheek with a finger. “Thanks for today.”

Jiyong had expected something like “That’s not for free!” or “What are you talking about?” but all he got was a squeeze on his hands and the most heart-warming smile in god’s four kingdoms.

“You’re welcome.”

Jiyong cleared his throat. He’d been wanting to confess his identity to TOP but he feels it would ruin the friendship that they had just started to have. If TOP learns that he has been lying to him from the start, would he get mad? If he learns that he is from the South, would he still treat him kindly? If he were to learn that he was a prince, would he be reluctant to stay as his friend?

“Did you want to say something?” TOP asks him, his deep melodious voice tickling his already vulnerable heart. Could he say it now?

“I was just wondering what would happen to me after I finish academy.” Jiyong told him truthfully. With the most sincere voice, he asked. “When you finish academy, where would you go?”

“I’d probably be in the King’s command.” Top answered, laying down the bed as Jiyong finished dressing his wound. “Lately I’ve been wanting to be in the Royal Guard.”

“Really?” Jiyong could feel butterflies in his stomach.

“Since I’m still young, maybe I’d swear an oath to the Prince.” TOP looked at him, grinning.

Jiyong’s mind went to over drive. Suddenly, images of TOP in the palace flashed in his mind. Oh, how TOP would look good dressed in their coat of arms. How fun would it be to live in the palace and have TOP tagging behind you all day?

But then, if the prince was on the line, would TOP be willing to give his life?

“That would be too dangerous!” Jiyong almost shouted at TOP. “You would be required to live by loyalty to your lord, forsaking all else, offering your sword and your life, ready to kill and die--”

“That would be an honor for me.” TOP looked at him straight in the eyes. “To protect him, until my last breath.”

“Is not the prince a human being too? Is not your life as important?” Jiyong’s voice was starting to rise, the thought of TOP dying hurt him. He did not to think TOP wasting his life for someone just because he was the son of a ruler of a kingdom.

“The prince is a human being, yes. But he is also hope. He will bring prosperity to the kingdom. He is loved by his people and he will serve them with the power and authority that is given him.”

“He would be a lucky prince.” Jiyong smiled to him beautifully. “He would be lucky to have someone like you for a protector.” Jiyong brings his face close to TOP. “This kingdom is lucky to have you as their knight.” He bit his lip for what he was about to say next. “And I am lucky to have you as a friend.”

Jiyong could feel TOP’s hand at the back of his head. He was about to close his eyes but then the door springs open and he finds himself on the other side of the room.

“TOP, one word.” The captain appeared at the door. “News from the castle.”

TOP and the captain spoke just outside their door. The door was slightly ajar and he could hear their conversation.

“The King’s condition is worsening. Lords and noblemen are expected to come to the castle tomorrow.” He could hear the captain say. “We’ll keep you updated.”

TOP entered the room looking downcast.

“Is the King alright?” Jiyong was standing by the door. He knew for a fact that the King was suffering an illness he had caught when winter came. He did not know that it was fatal. He had the urge to inform his father at once.

“It will be better.” TOP answered, surprised that Jiyong wasn’t even apologetic for eavesdropping. “Let’s go to sleep.”

Without another word, TOP went to his bed. He wasn’t making any sound so Jiyong assumed he had fallen asleep. He knew TOP was a son of a nobleman. News of the King’s worsening condition must have some bad effect for their lordship. He decides not to probe about it and let the man get some rest.

“Good night TOP.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

 

“Good Morning.” Jiyong greeted their table. He had just come out of the captain’s bath and he felt extremely jovial that morning. Mithra and Tukutz looked at him, puzzled at this odd behaviour. “Yes, I did have a nice dream so shut it.”

They laughed.

“OH MY GOD!” Mithra’s voice thundered. “MEAT!!!”

They all looked at the plates in front of them. Winners of yesterday’s tournament were served with a kingly breakfast that morning.

“This is the reward?” Jiyong sat there motionless as he stared at his friends eating meat like they have never eaten eat before.

Maybe they haven’t.

TOP sat down next to him and exclaimed at the food. He didn’t spare another second before digging his fork in. “Whoa,” TOP smiled at him. “This is the best!”

Jiyong tried hard not to cry at the sight. All his life, all he had to do was sit down and luxurious food would appear before his eyes. He never once thought that people actually worked until their bodies ached just to have a meal like this.

“Hey, why aren’t you eating?” TOP nudged him with an elbow. “I almost died yesterday just so you could eat this.” TOP pouted. “Be grateful.”

Jiyong shook his head violently. He kind of noticed TOP’s obsession with food since yesterday but he didn’t knew TOP would go this far just so he could eat good food. He almost died? He has been eating meat like this most of his life. He pushed his plate towards TOP.

“No, you can have it.” Jiyong wanted for TOP to eat it. He must be eating those hard potatoes for months now and he deserves some good food too.

“Hey,” TOP was shaking him now. “No, I didn’t mean it like that.”

They quietly fought at the table - TOP still trying to feed meat to Jiyong and Jiyong refusing stubbornly.

They stopped when they heard clamour of armoury from the hall. The sounds grew louder by the second. Jiyong sat there frozen. There must be dozens of guards marching to the mess hall. There was a blowing of a horn. Royalty was in their midst.

Jiyong didn’t know what to do. Had his father come to fetch him? Had the Northern King known of his existence there?

A dozen knights appeared from the door. They wore black armoury and wore the North’s coat of arms.

Jiyong stood up and was about to make his presence known when one of the knights spoke.

“Crown Prince of the Northern Kingdom, heir of the Great King of the North, Prince Choi Seunghyun…” Another black knight stepped inside. “I present to you Captain Gray of the Royal Guard and his company, who have come to you home.”

Prince of the North?

Had they gotten his title wrong?

Jiyong’s mouth drops as Seunghyun stood up from his seat, face serious and eyes glinting. His expression had gone stern and his movements calculated. Jiyong looked around as he sees Mithra and Tukutz on their knees and soon everyone in the room was kneeling down, bowing to TOP – to Prince Seunghyun.

It seems he wasn’t the only prince in disguise here.

Without even looking back, Seunghyun walked towards the knights. They put a long robe on him - made of thick black and white fur, broad fur shoulders with feathery accents and chain closures encrusted with jewels. A knight kneels at his feet and holds a sword with the Royal Northern Crest. Seunghyun picks it up and admires the blade.  

“Is there something wrong with your knees?” A knight approaches Jiyong and points a sword at his legs.

Seunghyun turned his head slightly to look from the corner of his eyes. Jiyong was royalty too. He will not bend down.

“Leave him.” Seunghyun told them coldly. “Take me to my father, the King.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

 

“Leave me.” Seunghyun dismisses the attendants in the room. He had just went to his father to check on his condition. The King’s condition was beginning to be steady again. There was nothing to fear now. The doctors said the King has passed the critical stage of his illness and from here on in, they would not have to fear for his life.

He paced in his room. Something other than his father’s condition has been worrying him.

Jiyong.

And the surprised look on his face as he learned that he was a Crown Prince too. By now he must have known that he had discovered his identity ever since they met at that tavern. Seunghyun knew Jiyong even from before. He had visited the Southern Palace when he was little. He had met the sickly prince back then.

“Mother,” Seunghyun tugged at the queen’s robes. “Will she be my bride?” He pointed to the little girl with pink hair. “The one grandpa say’s I will marry to unite our great kingdoms?”

The Northern queen chuckled in amusement. The boy’s grandfather had made a pact the Southern King. Too bad their child was a son, instead of a daughter. She shook her head. “That is Prince Jiyong.”

Seunghyun walked over to Jiyong. The Southern prince was surrounded by lots of toys and other young children. He made a small bow to announce his arrival.

“P-P-Prince… S-Seungh-hyun.” Jiyong stuttered as he too made a small bow. For royalty, even little children were expected to have court manners. The queen had taught him this boy’s name and it was a big accomplishment that he remembered it.

“Nice to meet you.” Seunghyun sat down in front of him and just stared. He got down to business immediately. “One day you and I will rule a unified kingdom. You will be my bride and we will marry.”

“Un.” Jiyong answered with a big smile. The young prince’s stomach grumbled and Seunghyun noticed.

“But before that, we’ll go to the highlands and eat at Papa’s Inn.” Seunghyun nodded furiously. “I’ll buy you lamb.” He scooted closer to Jiyong’s ear and whispered “And apple juice too.”

“Un!” Jiyong answered.

“Seunghyun?” The northern queen called for him. With a last look at the pretty pink haired prince, Seunghyun grabbed hold of his mother’s hand and began their long journey back to the royal castle.

Seunghyun never forgot that face . Great was his surprise that one cold night, the prince had come stumbling at the tavern’s door. He was training in the academy then at the King’s orders - his identity being hidden to prevent preferential treatment. His father believed that true strength is learned the same way the Kings before him had attained it – the hard way.

When Jiyong said he went there to prove something to his father, the King, he immediately understood what he meant. That was a burden all princes have to carry. The burden of the throne.

“Your highness.” Captain Gray knocked on his door.

“A student from the academy, claiming to be the Prince of the South, has been calling for you from the castle gates. We have confirmed his identity. He is who he claims to be.”

Seunghyun rushed outside, running fast in the portcullis towards the tower nearest the gatehouse.

What was Jiyong really there?

“I WISH TO HAVE AN AUDIENCE WITH PRINCE SEUNGHYUN!”

Jiyong was with Gaho and they were circling the perimeter of the castle. Jiyong was shouting at the top of his lungs.

“PRINCE SEUNGHYUN!” Jiyong was shouting hard. He held the Gaho’s reigns and they came dangerously close from falling to the moat.

“SEUNGHYUN!!!”

“We await your orders, your highness.”

Seunghyun stares at Jiyong as he screamed his throat sore.

“Get me my sword.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

“SEUNGHYUN!!!”

 

Jiyong continued to shout. His throat has gone awfully dry but he must stop now. He doesn’t care if he needed to shout until morning. He wanted to talk with the man and nothing will stop him. He wanted to see him so badly, he wanted to see him and just talk to him. His heart feels heavy and he needed to shout again.

 

“YO TOP!!!”

 

Just then, the draw bridge slowly lowers. He expected to see soldiers ready to him inside. However, what greeted him was Seunghyun’s lone figure in his royal grandeur, wearing the Prince’s jewel encrusted crown, unsheathing the sword he was carrying at his waist.

Jiyong dismounted his horse. If Seunghyun would strike him now, the four kingdoms will go into war. If Seunghyun strikes him now, it will be the end for him.

Seunghyun stands in front of him and to his surprise, kneels and puts down his sword to the ground.

“I hereby swear an oath to ever be good and true to the heir of the Unified Kingdom, Kwon Jiyong, holding my own life as little but my love, as all.”

Jiyong raises his head up high, trying to keep his tears at bay. He brings his right hand near Seunghyun’s face and he smiled.

 

Seunghyun smiles back as his lips grazed Jiyong’s finger.

 

 

“So do I vow.”