Fangs and Claws

Another Destiny

 

Water splashed as hooves pounded on the dirt road sodden in rainwater. The carriage seemed to run by itself as the horses that pulled it were as black as the starless night. The trail had become a maze; the tall verdant walls obscured the path ahead. Strangers could get lost for days, for only those who have been in the Dark Hall before could find the right way again.

The iron gates open as the carriage draws near.

“A great evening, my lord.”

A shined shoe lands on the carriage step. The sole passenger alights. He has silken blonde hair under his top hat. He wore a three piece suit with a double-ed waist coat, matching pocket handkerchiefs and ties - much like an English gentleman. He held on to a long sceptre, twirling it around in the air playfully.

The greeter opens the door, or rather, commands the door to open. When the large wooden double doors were gently swept aside, the mansions’ inhabitants turned their heads all at once to look.

“Master Kwon Jiyong has arrived.”

Jiyong gracefully strides to the middle of the foyer. He stands directly under the glass chandelier hanging in the center. He had never seen so many vampires in one room before. Moreover, he had never seen so many during a Dark Gathering. He was intrigued by the new faces eyeing him suspiciously.

“Hello.” He casually greets.

He was considered “radical” by his own kind. He never bothered with the hierarchy of blood and classification of the clans. It was ironic, as he himself is the only born child of the first dark lord. Even the elders feared and respected the pure blood that ran through his veins. Because for his kind, blood was the only thing that was important.

Jiyong was a vampire.

Half-vampire to be precise. His mother was a human. Unlike the other undead vampires, he was special. He looked more human than the rest of them. He had a beating heart and functioning internal organs. Sunlight, garlic, holy relics doesn’t harm him.

“Can we tone down the formal greetings?” Jiyong said through a smile. “I know we are all hung up on our medieval glories but we are now in the 21st century.”

“Of course, of course.” Dongwook appears, clapping twice as he descended the crescent stairs. “But only if you give up your precious carriage.” He gives Jiyong a cocky smile. “You’ve been using that since what? Five centuries ago? We don’t want to be discovered because of your pets.”

Jiyong, with ultra fast speed, dashes to the end of the staircase in a blink of an eye. “Don’t worry,” he appears in front of Dong-wook and surprises him. “I’ve acquired a new skill that prevents me from being seen by humans.”

There were gasps from the brethren. It was a known fact that Jiyong’s gift was being able to absorb other vampires’ gifts. Regeneration and hypnosis were some of his known powers. He was rumoured to have absorbed the rare skill of flight but there was no evidence of that yet.

“I would absorb your skill.” Jiyong tilts his face dangerously close to Dongwook’s. He eyes the corner of his neck and shoulder with hunger. Transfer of the gift would require him to drink the blood of the host. “Your noble blood would taste good after abstaining for so long.” He looks up and then pulls away. “Though I am not sure whether arrogance and vanity has much usefulness.”

Jiyong smirks as he walks away from the fuming Dongwook. Their squabbles started exactly a century ago, during a Dark Gathering such as this, when the elders had chosen Jiyong over Dongwook to head the Eastern clans. Jiyong had rejected their offer back then and Dongwook was left with the position.

“Children, please.” A lady in a Victorian dress appeared from the shadows. One could tell she was a powerful vampire just by the look in her golden eyes. Gummy was the only female vampire elder of the east and most mistake her gift to be everlasting beauty because she maintained her youthful appearance throughout the millennia.

“Let them be.” Sean appeared out of thin air. “I’ve never seen this house so lively before.” When he stepped inside the foyer, the whole room changed appearance. The lights went dim and the walls distorted. Thrones had emerged from the darkness and Sean took the rightmost seat, while Gummy took the leftmost.

Everyone knelt and bowed when another vampire appeared from the shadows. For a vampire elder, he did not look so old. He did not look fierce either. Jinu had a peaceful face and a captivating smile. “Come brethren.” He glided swiftly in the room, taking the middle throne. “Let us start the Dark Gathering.”

Jiyong stayed at the back while the others congregated in the front. He did not like attending the Dark Gathering because they would be required to listen to these boring historical accounts and witness traditional initiations to the new family members the whole day. However, since the gathering was like a census, all vampires who failed to attend will be marked as a deserter and will be sentenced to death by the Vampirian Council. The Dark Gathering was also a good place to get trustworthy information so Jiyong suffers the other worthless crap.

“If any of you have reason to speak, you may do so now.”

“The wolves.” Jiyong’s voice echoed throughout the room. “Have you found them?”

He was met with silence as everyone frowned. He had asked about a very sensitive and timeworn matter.

“Still hung up on tracking wolves, Jiyong?” Sean answered him with a laugh. “Their race has been erased from this world after our victory in the Great War. They are no longer a threat.” He addressed the whole room. “We have eliminated what remains of their race. If ever a few survived, they had probably gone into hiding. They know best not to show themselves.”

Gummy looked at him sympathetically. “I know your hatred for them is great and you think you need to avenge your father’s death but you are wasting your time.” She shook her head in disappointment. “Do you think we do not know what you have been doing these past few centuries? Your obsession with wolves is out of control.” Gummy’s face changed and she looked sincerely concerned. “You have been wandering around aimlessly. It’s time to settle down.”

“I’ll hunt every last one of them wolves.” Jiyong glared at them. “I swore on my father’s grave.”

“Stop this madness Jiyong.” Sean scolded him. “Or we will.”

Jiyong shook his head and rolled his eyes. He puts on his hat and walks towards the door. He will not be mocked like this.

“Wait.” Jinu stops him.

The air in the room warps and soon a cloud displayed an image from Jinu’s vision.

The image was of a wolf. The deep black eyes underlined a fierce stare while it showed its enormous fangs. The top coat was pure black but his face and undercoat was a stunning white. It was on the edge of a cliff and it howled to the moon. But then it stood up, revealing its human like posture.

A lycan.

The vampires in the room gasped. It was ages since lycanthropes showed their faces. Since the beginning of time, vampires and lycanthropes were natural enemies - they fed on the same prey and hunt in the same time of the day. But they learned how to share in the passing of time. The animalistic wolves hunted the villages in the country. The sophisticated vampires hunted the city. Both races learned to exist alongside each other and treated each other indifferently. That is, until the wolves killed a vampire lord.

Jiyong’s father.

Jinu had showed him a vision back then. A wolf was beside his father’s dying body. Since that day, Jiyong swore to avenge his father’s death.

“I see an uprising upon us.” Jinu warned. “It will not be long until those creatures wage another war.”

Jiyong’s eyes widen with anticipation. Finally, he would have answers. Why would they kill his father? If he could just get his hands on one of them, he would know.

“Jiyong,” Jinu calls to him. “Let me ask you one more time –lead the brethren now.” He looked at Dongwook with disappointed eyes. “This house is failing. I can no longer turn a blind eye.”

Jiyong could feel the animosity emanating from Dongwook.  The rebel Jiyong has always been the elder’s favourite and he didn’t like it.

“I’ll think about it.” Jiyong tells them. If he joins the Vampirian Army, he’ll be distracted from his personal goals. However, the army’s resources can help him hasten his own agenda. “You’ll have my answer before morning.”

“Very well,” Sean stands up. “Until morning.”

The room suddenly starts to change back into is former appearance. The Dark Gathering has not ended though. Dinner will be served soon and the gala will commence.

Jiyong slips away from the crowd and into the shadows.

Dongwook follows him.

 

-=oOo=-

 

“What are you hiding in here for?” Dongwook appears from the chamber door holding a bottle of wine and two glasses.

He finds Jiyong sitting in on the window sill, eyes glittering in the faint moonlight that shone through the glass. They were at the highest room and the window gave him a view of the thick forest that surrounded the mansion. Jiyong looked melancholic as he looked outside the dark night.

“The party has started. The ladies keep looking for you.”

“What do you want?” Jiyong whispers uncaringly without turning his head.

Dongwook pours red liquid on the glass. “To congratulate you of course.” Dong-wook smiles at him. “I know how much this means to you. After searching for centuries, you have finally found a solid lead.”

Jiyong tore his gaze from the window to look at Dongwook who was extending an arm to offer him a drink. They were close friends before the issue of leading the clan separated them.

“I’m sorry for all the stupid things I’ve done. I was driven mad with envy.” Dongwook poured himself a glass. “I mean, you rejected leading the clan - the one thing I am aspiring all of these years. You were such a big-head, going against the elders and leaving for your selfish aims.”

Jiyong backtracked in his head. Did he just hear Dongwook say sorry?

“Now that you’ll be our next leader, I want to make sure we are in good terms.” Dongwook smiled.

Jiyong accepted the wine glass. It might be just another stunt that Dong-wook was doing to make sure he retained a high position in the new army but Jiyong appreciated his gesture nonetheless.

“For my good friend, Jiyong.” Dongwook raises his glass.

Jiyong toasts his glass and drinks.

“I have not agreed to the elders request so please don’t up to me yet.” Jiyong gives him a cheeky grin.

His smile disappeared almost instantly though. The glass drops to the floor and some of the blood stains the carpet.

Jiyong holds on the wall for support as he feels his body weaken. He does not feel any pain but his body was getting numb and he was losing his senses.

“W-what i-is t-this?” He collapses at the floor and Jiyong picks up the glass. “W-what d-did you g-give m-me?”

“You have the same weakness the dark lord, your father.” Dong-wook stands over him. “The scent of dead blood – you cannot detect them.”

Jiyong coughs. Living blood gives vampires life and dead blood drains their life. Dead blood was harmful for their kind. Especially for Jiyong whose gift was the ability to absorb the power hidden in the blood. The dead blood’s negative effects were multiplied a hundred fold for Jiyong.

“Don’t you remember?” Dongwook takes the glass from his hand. “That was how the wolves killed him. They tricked him into drinking dead blood. His powers weakened and he never stood a chance against their claws.”

Jiyong could feel his vampiric abilities slowly disappearing.

“Now, my friend.” Dong-wook grabbed him by the neck. “How does it feel like to be weak?” he threw Jiyong on the wall.

Jiyong lets out a cry of pain.

Dong-wook looks down on him with a cheeky grin. With inhuman power, Dongwook kicks Jiyong and he was sent flying to the other side of the room. “Before killing you, I think I’ll have a little fun first”. The window cracks when Jiyong’s body was thrown at it with bone crushing force.

Jiyong’s body curls up at the window sill.

“Enough fun.” Dongwook bares his fangs. The whites of his eyes turn red. Once the Bloodlust takes effect, it would not be satiated until blood is spilled. “Time to die.”

Before he could reach Jiyong however, Jiyong had pounded harshly on the glass window, smashing it into pieces. With a last look at Dongwook, Jiyong slips away outside and into the dark night.

“Aaargh! JIYONG!” Dong-wook shouts as he sees Jiyong land safely on the grass. Indeed, Jiyong had the gift of flight but since he was weakened, he could not do it for long. He sees Jiyong run to the forest for cover.

“JIYOOOOONG!!!”

Jiyong hears Dong-wook’s frustrated yells as he ran. He could feel the effects of the dead blood run through his body. His legs were losing their supernatural speed and his sharp vision was failing him. He pushed his way through the dense forest. He thinks it would only be a matter of time until Dongwook finds him. His footsteps echoed through the forest as he was losing his stealth abilities. In no time, other vampires could pick up his scent because he didn’t have the power to conceal it any longer.

“JIYOOOOONG!!!”

Jiyong looks back while running. Dong-wook was getting closer and closer by the second.

He wasn’t paying attention to where he was going so when the trail went downhill, he tripped and was sent stumbling down.

Down and down he goes.

His body collides with a boulder and it stops his fall. The dead blood rendered his body weak and he could not move anymore. He tries hard to open his eyes but his body wasn’t complying. Through the pitch black darkness, he could sense Dongwook approaching him with a lethal intent.

He hears a distant howling. Jiyong’s eyes almost shut but he fought to keep them open. It seems like something has scared off Dongwook as the vampire was now retreating back into the darkness.

Before Jiyong’s eyes closed completely, the last image he saw was a beast’s paw landing just in front of his face.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Jiyong wakes up in a bundle of warm blankets. He groans at the sharp pain in his legs. He wills for regeneration, but it seems like the dead blood had stripped him of his vampiric abilities. He looks at himself and instead of his suit, he was wearing an oversized shirt and a pair of trousers.

He looks at the window and notices it was dawn. He appears to be at a cottage of some sort. It didn’t have any walls to separate the rooms. He could see freshly cut flowers in the living room table. A basket of bread and a tray of eggs were on the kitchen countertop. He finds pots and pans hanging from the ceiling near the fireplace. He was mesmerized by the dwindling flame.  

Something moving by the couch snaps him back from his reverie.

A human.

Jiyong couldn’t help but stare. A man was sitting on the couch near the fireplace. He was wrapped in a blanket and sleeping soundly. Jiyong had never seen someone like him before. He had a manly face, with strong cheekbones and thick eyebrows. He had a remarkably perfect nose and shapely lips. The only thing seemed unkempt is his hair, maybe due to the fact that his head was angled weirdly while he slept sitting down. His gaze lowers and he finds broad shoulders and a perfectly chiselled jaw-line. Jiyong swallows hard when he sees the man’s exposed neck. He suddenly had the urge to sink his teeth on the soft flesh.

Smoke comes out of the fireplace. The last little flame went out.

As if on queue, the human shifts from his position and stretches his arms in the air. He yawns and wipes a tear escaping his eyes. With half closed eyes, he stood up and fetched split wood, threw it in the fireplace and poked it till the flames grew back.

“Good morning.”

Jiyong’s greeting made the man stand up suddenly and his head hits a pot hanging too low from the ceiling.

“Ouch…” The man rubbed his head. Jiyong smiled and laughed at the funny sight.

The man puts a hand in his chest to still his beating heart. “You scared me.”

Jiyong was suddenly paralyzed by his deep voice. It seemed to rumble from deep within him.

“Where am I?” Jiyong asks, trying to pull himself up. He didn’t have strength yet so he collapses down the bed again.

“You’re in my house.” The man gets busy lighting the fire again. “I found you lying in the forest last night.” The flames were alive now. “I won’t ask what kind of trouble you’re in, so feel free to stay here until you get better.”

Jiyong smiles, thinking how lucky he must be. He just woke up and he finds his meal being served to him on a silver spoon and platter. Once he gets fresh blood in his system, hopefully, he will get his powers back.

“I’m Jiyong. What’s your name?” Jiyong asked casually. He made sure he knew the name of the people he was feeding on. It might be important if their blood had side effects and Jiyong made sure he could find the source again.

“Seunghyun.” The man turns around to look at him. He was now busy hanging a kettle on top of the fire.

“Can you help me up Seunghyun?” Jiyong asks innocently.

Seunghyun went to him and extended his arm for Jiyong to hold on to.

Jiyong smiled triumphantly as he quickly lounged for Seunghyun. He grabbed the back of Seunghyun’s head and pulled it closer, breathing in the hot scent that emanated from the flesh between his neck and shoulder. He could almost taste the sweet warm blood that raged from this man’s luscious body.

Jiyong feels a tingling sensation ran through his body as his lips grazed Seunghyun’s skin, but then he lets go suddenly, surprised by the fact that he could not bare his fangs. Jiyong pulled away.

They stared at each other with wide eyes.

“Yeah….right.” Seunghyun rubbed his neck as he stood up, massaging the part where Jiyong had bit him. He blushed and tried to hide his face from Jiyong. “You must be hungry.”

Jiyong sat there petrified as Seunghyun stepped out of the cottage, obviously disoriented by his actions.

As much as Jiyong was shocked that he could not make his retractable fangs appear, he was embarrassed. His would-be victim must think he was crazy. Or that he was a ert or something.

“Great.” Jiyong face palmed.

Seunghyun enters the house after a while. Jiyong could tell he splashed water in his face. “I-I made breakfast.” He smiled to him again uncertainly, but avoided eye contact. “You should eat to get your strength back.”

Jiyong agreed, as human food could give his body the nutrients it needs to recover. He must wait until the dead blood disappears from his system though, so that his regenerating powers could hasten the process.

He stands on weak legs and falls.

“Careful!”  Seunghyun catches him.

Jiyong feels blood rush to his cheeks when his face collided into Seunghyun’s lean chest. In one swift motion, Seunghyun sweeps him from his feet and carries him in bridal hold. Jiyong reflexively put his hands around Seunghyun’s neck to stop him from falling.

“Here, let me help you.” He sits Jiyong on a chair opposite his in the dining table. “I hope you like fried eggs.”

Jiyong just sat there quietly as Seunghyun had begun his long story on how he chased the chickens all yesterday afternoon. He figures Seunghyun hasn’t had a companion since forever and this was the only time he could pour out his feelings. Seunghyun’s chicken story was finished and now it was about a boar he caught two days ago.

“I put them in jars to keep them preserved. I think I’ll boil some tonight? What do you think?” Seunghyun pauses. He takes a bite of his bread and he talks as soon as he has swallowed. “I make a mean stew you know? Would you like to try it sometime?”

Jiyong nods. He wonders why this human doesn’t find this whole situation awkward.

“Great!” Seunghyun beams him the most dazzling smile. Jiyong feels his heart tighten in his chest everytime he does that. “You should try my smoked drum fish. I bet you’ve never tasted smoke drum fish before.” Seunghyun fetches the kettle from the fireplace. He pours Jiyong a cup of tea. “My fermented vegetables will be ready soon too. I can’t wait to have you try.”

 “Sounds like you’re been here long.” Jiyong watches him in amazement.

“Yeah.” Seunghyun’s energy level dropped suddenly. “My village was attacked by monster. Our house burned down and I was the only one left.” Seunghyun played with his food with a fork. “I lived here alone in the woods ever since.”

Jiyong suddenly felt saddened seeing Seunghyun being gloomy and silent. The man stopped eating altogether.

“Tastes good.” Jiyong smiles at Seunghyun to cheer him up.

His efforts worked as it brought back the smile in Seunghyun’s face. This time, Jiyong didn’t stop him from drabbling and just let him talk.

“That’s when I started to do woodwork. Can you tell which furniture is handcrafted?”

Jiyong shook his head.

“I made everything in the house. I’m serious. Even the house.” Seunghyun laughed. “Hey, you don’t look convinced.”

Seunghyun’s voice was relaxing to Jiyong’s ears.

“That chair you’re sitting on, it’s all from one piece of log…”

And he was getting used to it fast.

 

-=oOo=-

 

After living a life of aristocracy for centuries, Jiyong finds himself turning to a peasant overnight. He was stuck in bed like a sick old man, living in this small little cottage in the middle of the nowhere, being taken care of by a human.

A human!

Humans were mere sources of blood. A meal you take three times a day. Vampires were predators and humans were their prey. Yet Jiyong finds himself in the mercy of this one human. In his weakened state, he wouldn’t last a day in the woods. Without food and shelter from Seunghyun, we wouldn’t be able to survive.

“Where are you going?” Jiyong asks when he sees Seunghyun putting on his boots. It was getting dark and he fears that Dongwook would come and search for him. Vampires can be very obsessed over their hunt; they will not stop until they get what they want.

“I’m just going to check on the traps I made.” Seunghyun checked the oil from his lamp. “See if I caught something.”

An image of a beast’s paw flashes in Jiyong’s mind. “I think a saw a huge bear the other night.” Jiyong closed his eyes and tried to remember more. “Or what was it? It think it might be a wo-”

“There are many animals living in the forest.” Seunghyun cut him off and looked at his reflection in the knife.  “They ruin my garden.” He strapped it on his leg. “It won’t take long.” Seunghyun slung a bag over his shoulder. “Don’t go wandering while I’m out. It’s dangerous.”

“Don’t worry.” Jiyong looked at his pathetic, bedridden body. “I’m not going anywhere.”

A foot was already outside when Seunghyun turned to look back at him one last time. He smiles. “I’ll be home soon.”

Jiyong’s heart constricts. Everytime this human smiles, the effect would be the same for him.

He finds himself staring at the fireplace again. The windows were shut so tight no light escaped from within the cottage. If Seunghyun went as far as concealing its existence to this extent, it seems like this forest was dangerous after all.

He had never felt so powerless his whole life. Why must this happen now? He had just found out that lycanthropes were planning an uprising and here he is, tied to the bed. He had never drank dead blood before and with his powers, who knows how long the effects would last? Weeks? Months? Years? Centuries?

He needed to drink fresh blood. Drinking Seunghyun’s blood would be most convenient but how to do it? If he didn’t have his fangs, he at least needed to injure Seunghyun. But even if he cuts his skin with a knife while he slept, Seunghyun could still break his neck before he could drink his blood. The man could kill a boar with his bare hands for goodness’ sake.

Speaking of which, Seunghyun hasn’t returned. It was already midnight and Jiyong remembered Seunghyun saying it wouldn’t take long. How many traps does Seunghyun need to check? Had he met the large bear from the night before? Or had Seunghyun met other creatures?

Dongwook should still be looking for him. Jiyong didn’t need his telepathic abilities to know that the vampire had managed to convince the Vampirian Council that he had become a deserter. Jiyong remembered Dongwook had the Bloodlust. If the vampires were on the hunt for him, the chances of them finding Seunghyun tonight was very high. Had Dongwook found Seunghyun? Had he drank Seunghyun’s blood?

Jiyong felt angry all of a sudden. He didn’t know why, but the thought of other vampires drinking Seunghyun’s blood infuriates him. He could almost taste it back then but it was taken from him. For someone unspoiled like Seunghyun, his blood should taste like heaven. If Dongwook as much as lay a finger on Seunghyun, Jiyong swears to never let the other vampire rest.

Jiyong began to get worried. “I should have stopped him.” Jiyong thought, mad at himself for not thinking this through. Seunghyun was his only source of protection and his only hope of revival. If something happens to him, Jiyong wouldn’t forgive himself.

Just then, the door burst open and Seunghyun came rushing in. Jiyong heaved a relieved sigh at the sight. He was about to greet him but he stopped when he saw the man’s condition.

Seunghyun walked unsteadily, like he was drunk. He had sleepy, droopy eyes. It was as if he could fall asleep the moment he lies down. True enough, Seunghyun falls asleep when he crashes down the bed.

The only problem was, Jiyong was still on the bed.

It must be Seunghyun’s habit to just crash on the bed after he gets home. Maybe that’s why the bed was placed where it was. Seunghyun was partially on top of him, using his chest as a pillow. “Yah!” Jiyong pushed him away with weak arms. “Wake up!” Jiyong slaps his cheeks lightly but the man looked too deadbeat for any response. “HEY!”

Jiyong looked down, wanting to smack his hand on Seunghyun’s head to wake him. But then he sees sweat forming on his forehead. When he touched him, he could feel how cold Seunghyun has become. “Seunghyun…?” Jiyong began to get worried when he saw Seunghyun’s face scrunch in pain. “What happened?”

Seunghyun’s clothes were torn in different places. His sleeves had blood stains but his hands were oddly clean.

Jiyong felt his insides tense as Seunghyun placed his arms around him in a protective hold, burying his face in Jiyong’s shirt. “You’re safe now.” The man whispered in his sleep.

Jiyong didn’t sleep that night.

-=oOo=-

 

Jiyong was still pretending to be asleep when the flame from the fireplace went out. Seunghyun gets a whiff of the smoke and he wakes up, looking as groggy and sleepy as he did yesterday. He doesn’t seem to care, or rather notice, that he had slept on top of Jiyong. He absentmindedly went to the fireplace again to reignite the flames.

Jiyong didn’t greet him this time and just watched him with half-closed eyes. Seunghyun puts a kettle on top of the fireplace. He slices some bread on the counter, takes a spoon and places it beside the small jar of jam. He scurries around the house, trying to look for something in the mess of things. Seunghyun finds a bottle of milk and puts it in the small wooden dining table.

Jiyong tried hard not to move when Seunghyun got close to the bed. Jiyong didn’t even breathe when Seunghyun grabbed the blanket and lifted it up to his chin. He kept his eyes closed until he heard a door shut close.

Jiyong sits up as soon as he heard Seunghyun’s disappearing footsteps.

Jiyong had spent the whole night thinking. That night was his chance to drink Seunghyun’s blood. Since Seunghyun was so incapacitated, he could have easily grabbed the knife by Seunghyun’s belt, slit his wrists and drink enough blood from him before Seunghyun wakes. He would have regained some of his vampiric abilities and if Seunghyun tries to fight, he could take him down easily.

But then, “You’re safe now” Seunghyun tells him.

Whatever Seunghyun did that night that made him so tired, it was all to keep him safe. Never in his whole existence had he felt someone care for him like this. He was strong and fearsome ever since he could remember and he never needed someone to look after him. Everyone who had shown concern for him in the past century had their own agenda. They wanted his fortune, his power and his social status. But he was powerless now; he had nothing. Still, Seunghyun shows concern for him.

How odd.

Jiyong steps out of bed, his legs finding their sudden strength. He walks to the dining table and takes a bite of the bread. He looks around the small cottage, admiring the homely feel of the golden lumber walls against the morning sunlight. He steps to the fireplace and relishes in the warmth. The burning wood smelled so fragrant, like incense, and it filled the house.

Jiyong scans the room and finds all sorts of animal skin hanging by a wall - Seunghyun must use them as a blanket during winter. He also finds large teeth tied to strings, probably prizes from animals he had killed before. Jiyong eyes light up, when it lands on a shelf filled with wooden toys.

Jiyong admires the workmanship put in miniature models. Some were simple, like a fish jumping out of the water or a flower that hadn’t blossomed. But some were intricate in their design, like an eagle posed for flight - the feathers and claws were carved elaborately. Jiyong couldn’t take his eyes off of one particular butterfly. Seunghyun had even crushed various flower petals and fruits to put color in the wings.

“Hey, you’re up!”

Jiyong looks back and finds Seunghyun beaming at him. The man had changed his clothes. He was also holding a bouquet of freshly picked flowers. He places them in the vase on top of the fireplace mantel.

“Are you sure you got enough rest?” Seunghyun hurries to his side. He notices Jiyong holding the butterfly.

Jiyong just stares at Seunghyun. He wonders how such a wild man could make something so elegant and beautiful.

“You found them.” Seunghyun smiled and laughed shyly, placing a hand behind his head. “It’s kind of rough and I don’t know, it needs a lot of work.”

“It’s beautiful.” Jiyong tells him and Seunghyun blushes.

“Want me to show you how to make one?” Seunghyun eyes suddenly got big and his voice, full of excitement. He grabs a chair and pulls out a woodblock the size of a brick. “It’s really fun.” Seunghyun grabs a knife and started cutting from the edges.

Jiyong watches in amazement as the woodblock slowly transformed into an odd looking bear, like a teddy but not so much. Seunghyun scratches his head and looks at the finished product. “It looks kind of weird…”

Jiyong laughs hard, grasping his stomach that started to hurt. “How could it be weird?” Jiyong continued to laugh, clapping his hands at Seunghyun’s dumb expression. “You’re the one who made it!”

“You make one too.”

Jiyong stopped laughing when Seunghyun grabbed his wrist and pulled him to sit down the chair. Seunghyun gives him the knife and a piece of woodblock. Jiyong just stares at his hands.

“Cut the edges first or you’ll get splinters.”

Jiyong continued to stare at his hands, clueless.

“Not like that.”

He almost jumped when he felt Seunghyun’s warm chest collide on his back. Seunghyun’s rough hands held his own, positioning his fingers to grasp the knife the proper way. Seunghyun’s head was almost resting on his shoulder and if he turned his head, his lips would meet Seunghyun’s cheek.

“There we go.”

‘Oh boy,’ Jiyong’s head seemed to say. He remembers close encounters with men in the past. He had taken men to bed before, but only to feed on them. He had seduced a few, to trick them into giving information about the wolves. He had men throwing themselves at him everywhere he went, captivated by his mysterious aura and supernatural beauty.

“What do you want to do next?” Seunghyun asks, grabbing the knife from him and cleaning it with his sleeve.

But Seunghyun wasn’t like those other men. Maybe because he had lived for so long that in his eyes, Seunghyun was like a child to him. Or maybe the fact that Seunghyun had lived alone in the forest since he was little was the reason for his childlike behaviour. He had no contact to the outside world and he was innocent to all the troubles of the modern age. He didn’t know words like betrayal, lies and deceit. He would have no concept of lust, seduction and desire.

For Seunghyun - these actions, these gestures - he only does to teach him how to carve wood.

Jiyong felt a pain in his chest. Somehow, he didn’t like that idea.

“How about we do something new?” Seunghyun looks to the shelf and looks for an animal he hasn’t carved before. There were all sorts of birds and insects there. He had also carved flowers and fruits. His largest collection was of forest dwelling creatures.

Jiyong’s looked at the shelf and noticed instantly what was missing. For centuries he had been searching for a particular animal. “Wolves.” he mutters when he notices their absence.

“Ouch.”

Jiyong turns his head and sees Seunghyun standing up and turning his back from him. “I-I’m sorry, I was clumsy.” Seunghyun tells him. Jiyong looks at the knife in Seunghyun’s hand. It had blood on the sharp edge.

Fresh blood.

“Let me see.” Jiyong stands up and quickly dashes in front of Seunghyun, grabbing his hand and holding it up. He had a long cut on his middle finger.

Jiyong’s heart was beating madly in his chest at the sight of red blood dripping to Seunghyun’s palm. He was practically salivating. He grabbed Seunghyun’s wrist, feeling the pressure of the blood rush to the wounded area. 

“I’ll just clean this up -” Seunghyun was cut off when Jiyong suddenly ran his tongue on the insides of his palm, it clean, before placing the injured finger in his mouth and on it.

“S-Stop-”. Seunghyun tries to pull his hand away. Jiyong doesn’t let go and looks up at him with hungry eyes. “Jiyong!” Seunghyun pushes him away and Jiyong drops to the floor. Seunghyun stares at him for a moment. He looked confused and hurt. “That’s not the way to do it.” He steps out the cottage and leaves Jiyong sitting there.

Jiyong stays by the floor, breathing heavily. Seunghyun’s blood - it tasted so good. Better than anything he ever had. He could still feel the blood circulating in his system, restoring him some of his strength. It was amazing how a few drops of Seunghyun’s blood could have this effect. He his teeth clean.

 

He needed more.

 

-=oOo=-

 

That day, Jiyong stayed in bed the whole afternoon. He could tell Seunghyun was still upset at him. The man barely spoke to him after that. He still gave him food and water, still made sure the fire was alive but only that. Jiyong admits missing hearing him tell stories. He surprisingly misses hearing Seunghyun’s voice.

That’s why Jiyong expectantly looks up when Seunghyun stood beside his bed.

“I have to go out.” Seunghyun tells him without looking at his eyes. He was holding a lamp again. “Stay inside.”

Jiyong panics when Seunghyun reached the door. The sun had set and it was already night. It was dangerous to be outside, especially when there was a chance that Dongwook was lingering about.

“Seunghyun!” Jiyong calls out before Seunghyun could close the door. The man stops but doesn’t turn to look at him. “Be careful.” Jiyong tells him. The door closes and there was silence once again.

Unlike the other night, Jiyong waits impatiently for his return. He kept pacing in the cottage, looking at the door from time to time. He remembered how mad Seunghyun was when he pushed him. And how sad he looked afterwards.

He picked up the woodblock he was carving before. “Wolves.” Jiyong said to himself. He wonders why Seunghyun was so jumpy after hearing that. Seunghyun said before that their village was attacked. Could it be that wolves were the cause of that?

The door burst open and Seunghyun appeared at the doorway. This time, he didn’t make it to the bed and just crashed on the floor.

“Seunghyun!”

Jiyong went to him. “What happened?” Jiyong asked as he looked at Seunghyun’s clothes. It was torn in different places again. The blood stains were larger than last night’s. Seunghyun was shivering.

Jiyong dragged him to the fireplace, grabbed a cloth and wiped his face. “What have you been doing?” He watched as Seunghyun’s pained expression start to relax. “Where have you been going?”

Jiyong examined Seunghyun’s body. It was strange how much blood was in his clothes and how none of it belonged to Seunghyun. He wasn’t injured or hurt. Could Seunghyun be hunting boars during the night? What kind of traps does he set up? How far does he go and what does he do that makes him so exhausted? 

He grabbed a blanket and put it over Seunghyun.

“Making me worry about you…”

 

-=oOo=-

 

Jiyong wakes up from the sound of splitting wood. He finds himself curled up on the floor beside the fireplace, covered by the blanket he put on Seunghyun last night. He stands up and finds the usual bread, jam and milk laid out for him on the dining table.

He was getting used to it now. He was getting used to the life of humans. He was getting used to Seunghyun.

Contrary to his expectations, he was enjoying Seunghyun’s company. He even misses him when he steps out of the cottage. Sometimes, he even finds himself craving for Seunghyun’s warmth. Maybe he wanted Seunghyun’s blood. Maybe something else. But he wanted Seunghyun. He wanted to fill his whole being with Seunghyun’s life essence.

It has been two days since Seunghyun found him the forest. He hasn’t left the cottage since then. Every time he tried to even think of going out, Seunghyun tells him to stay inside. Today, he’d try his luck.

Jiyong opens the door and the object of his fantasies greets him, shirtless.

Seunghyun was standing with legs apart, pulling the heavy maul back over his head and swinging it straight forward. The green wood splits in two with a nice “crack”.

‘How ’ Jiyong thinks, as the sight of Seunghyun’s exposed skin overwhelms him.

Seunghyun wipes his forehead with the back of his hand and proceeds to grab another piece when he sees Jiyong. He ignores him and just went back to work again. Seunghyun grabs another piece and places it in the block. The wood splits instantly as the momentum of the heavy maul did the job.

Jiyong just watches. He was unsure of what to do next. It seems like Seunghyun was still mad at him. He had never been in a situation before that he needed to apologize for his actions.

Jiyong was about to open his mouth but Seunghyun was ahead of him. “Thanks.” Seunghyun finally looked at him straight in the eyes. “You took care of me last night.”

Jiyong chuckles. “Feeling better?” he asks as he rests his back against the cottage wall.

Seunghyun nods a couple of times. He effortlessly lifts the maul over his head and splits another large chunk of wood.

“I thought you were angry at me.” Jiyong said, looking at his shoes and sniffing. He tried to get Seunghyun’s sympathy so he spoke in a sad voice. “You didn’t talk to me all day yesterday.”

“I’m not mad at you.” Seunghyun answers back, dropping the heavy maul on the ground to comfort him. Jiyong tries hard not smile at Seunghyun’s reaction. “I was just surprised. That’s all.”

“Are you sure?” Jiyong asks him, an eyebrow rising.

Seunghyun didn’t answer and just kept on advancing towards him. Jiyong tried to step back but his back was already at the wall and there was nowhere else to go.

Seunghyun pinned him against the wall and Jiyong was motionless for a while. He willed for all kinds of vampiric abilities to appear to get him out of this situation but he was powerless. Jiyong let out an audible gulp when Seunghyun looked down at him. He could feel the raw strength that radiated from Seunghyun’s skin.

Seunghyun smiled and ruffled his hair. “I’m not mad.” Seunghyun still had a hand on his head and Jiyong’s heart was beating wildly because Seunghyun’s smile wouldn’t disappear.

“What’s wrong?” Seunghyun lifts his chin up. “You don’t look too good.”

“Nothing,” Jiyong insists. “It suddenly just got hot.” He tried to think of an excuse for his flustered cheeks.

Seunghyun looks at him with an inquisitive stare.

Jiyong’s eyes widen as Seunghyun suddenly grabbed his wrist. “Come on.” Seunghyun smiled, the excitement shown clearly in his face. He grabs a quilt that was left hanging out to dry.

“Where are we going?” Jiyong asks as he was being dragged further deeper into the woods. Jiyong didn’t know how Seunghyun was keeping track of the path but he seemed to know where he was going. “Where are you taking me?”

Seunghyun smiles at him reassuringly. “It’ll make you feel better, I promise.”

Jiyong lets out another audible gulp. What in the world could Seunghyun be planning?

And could someone please give him a shirt?

They arrived at another clearing. Seunghyun hangs the quilt on a tree branch and to Jiyong’s horror, started taking off his pants off.

“What are you doing Seunghyun??!!” Jiyong hides behind his palms. He has seen men before. Those men that he tricked to get to bed had the impression that he liked them. Jiyong only fed on them though. He never thought of doing the same thing to Seunghyun. He could never hurt Seunghyun.

“It’s okay.” Seunghyun laughed at him. Jiyong takes a peek and sighs in relief when he sees Seunghyun wearing undergarments. “Come on. You’ll love it!”

Jiyong hears a splash.

Jiyong takes his hands away from his face and his eyes immediately lit up as the view of the lake greets him. It was enclosed by a magnificent rock formation. Jiyong could spot a small cave hidden behind the waterfalls. The water was a sparkling blue green, reflecting the sunny weather.

Jiyong’s trance was broken when a drop of water went to his eye. Seunghyun was splashing water at him and laughing.

“AHHH! SEUNGHYUN!!” Jiyong scolds him. Being half-human, water did not have much effect on him. He didn’t hate water but it was ages since he last took a swim. 

Jiyong’s anger quickly fades as he sees Seunghyun motioning for him to come closer. He was still on the shallow part of the lake and the water went up only until his waist. Jiyong his lips again at the sight of Seunghyun skin.

Seunghyun shakes his head and runs a hand to his hair, making Jiyong swallow hard again.

Jiyong finally understood this unexplainable attraction to this young man. He didn’t want Seunghyun for his blood. He wanted Seunghyun.

Just that.

Seunghyun was smiling when Jiyong walked towards the lake. He was still smiling when Jiyong took off his shirt. His smile disappeared though when Jiyong started taking all of his clothes off. Even without the vampiric ability, Jiyong’s seduction was a skill by itself. That, combined with the immortal beauty of Jiyong’s youth, had made hearts stop. Literally.

He locks gazes with Seunghyun as he slowly descended to the waters. Seunghyun tried to speak, tried to break the spell that Jiyong seemed to be casting upon him. But then Jiyong advanced on him, making him step deeper into the lake. He stopped just before the waters reached his shoulders.

“It’s nice isn’t it?” Seunghyun asked. Jiyong was circling around him in the waters, like a siren enticing a sailor to follow her into deeper waters. Seunghyun reflexively reached for his neck, massaging the skin Jiyong bit days before.

Jiyong sees the involuntary gesture. He doesn’t need his mind reading skill to know that Seunghyun still hasn’t forgotten the ‘kiss’ he gave.

“I feel better already.”

Seunghyun’s eyes widen when Jiyong suddenly wrapped his arms around his neck. Jiyong bats his glossy eyes as he examined Seunghyun’s face. He lets a hand run through Seunghyun’s hair. He let the hand rest at the back of Seunghyun’s head and he pulled him closer, pressing his soft lips upon him.

Jiyong breaks the kiss and examines Seunghyun’s face again. If Seunghyun would pull away like before, he would understand. Seunghyun lifted his hands and Jiyong was sure that Seunghyun would push him away again. However, Seunghyun’s fingers only traced the lines of his face before holding his head in place for another kiss.

Jiyong could hear his own raging breath when they pulled apart. Jiyong grabbed Seunghyun’s hand and he led him near the waterfalls. Jiyong gave Seunghyun a frivolous smile as he let the falling water cool him down. Seunghyun had an open mouth while he watched. “Come here.” Jiyong disappeared to the other side of the curtain of water. It was dark inside and Seunghyun couldn’t see where Jiyong had gone.

The moment Seunghyun stepped inside the cave, he was met with Jiyong’s passionate kiss.  Seunghyun seemed to like it when he used his teeth and tongue, so Jiyong  kissed him with more fervour and want. Jiyong yelped when he felt Seunghyun’s hands lower down to his hips.

“Take me home.” Jiyong whispered.

Jiyong was smiling and giggling as he pulled on Seunghyun. They were holding hands and Jiyong was practically dragging Seunghyun to move faster. “Why so eager to come home?” Seunghyun told him with a sad face. He was still enjoying their swim.

Jiyong shook his head and rolled his eyes. “I’ll make you feel better, I promise.” Jiyong gives him an evil grin. This man doesn’t know what he’s getting in to. Literally.

The door of the cottage bursts open again and Jiyong kisses Seunghyun once they were inside. He wraps both arms around the man’s neck and his legs, around his waist. Seunghyun loses balance and they both fall on top of the bed.

“The fire.” Seunghyun sits up when he notices the flames were gone.

“Let me warm you up.” Jiyong pressed his palms into Seunghyun’s cheek and turned it to face him. His other s its way below the covers and into Seunghyun’s pants.

“J-Ji-Jiyong!” Seunghyun pulled back instantly. Jiyong laughed at Seunghyun’s outraged expression.

“Alright, alright.” Jiyong smiled to him, lifting his hands in surrender. “We’ll take it slow.”

 

-=oOo=-

 

Jiyong and Seunghyun spent all day in bed, wrapped in each other’s arms. The fireplace was lit and the whole cottage was warm again. Seunghyun was telling Jiyong one of his misadventures and Jiyong thought he could not feel any happier than this. He remembered Gummy’s advice and it seems like settling down was not such a bad idea.

“Seunghyun,” Jiyong called his attention once their laughter died down.

“What is it?” Seunghyun looked up at him. He was using Jiyong’s chest as a pillow again. He was fascinated by Jiyong’s heartbeat.

“When I’m better, I want you to come with me to the city.” Jiyong tells him. “I’ll take you to the dressers and he’ll make you nice suit.” Jiyong could feel Seunghyun tighten his hold. “We’ll travel the world together. You’ll see the pyramids in Egypt and the Great Wall of China. Would you like that?”

 “It sounds far.” Seunghyun buries his face in Jiyong’s chest. Jiyong could see him hesitating. Something was preventing him from leaving the forest but Jiyong was determined.

“I can’t stay here forever.” Jiyong tells him while patting his head. “I have to go someday but I want us to be together.” Jiyong holds to Seunghyun’s hand. “Will you come with me?”

Seunghyun looks up at him with such pure, sinless eyes that Jiyong feels his heart constrict again. “Okay.” Seunghyun nods. “If you promise to get better soon.”

Seunghyun relaxes in his hold and they spent the rest of the day like that.

When night came, Seunghyun released his hold on Jiyong. Jiyong was fast to react and he grabbed Seunghyun’s wrist.

“Stay.” He begged. “Stay here and lay with me.”

Seunghyun looked torn. “I need to check the traps and –”

“They will be fine.” Jiyong told him while pulling him back to bed. “I need you here.”

Jiyong would not risk letting Seunghyun go. He feels Dongwook would find him tonight and the vampires would not treat Seunghyun kindly.

Seunghyun looks to the door and back to Jiyong again. Jiyong gave him his most inviting smile that he knew Seunghyun wouldn’t have the power to resist.

True enough, Seunghyun slips back into the covers and Jiyong rests his head between his neck and shoulder. “Thank you Seunghyun.” Jiyong gave him a small peck before closing his eyes.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Smoke.

 

Jiyong opens his eyes to the smell of burning wood. He sits up abruptly and finds the four corners of the house blazing. He coughs as the smoke gets thick. He remembers Seunghyun and he finds the man beside him, sitting up same as him, but he was just staring into the flames.

“Seunghyun, wake up!” Jiyong yelled at him. A piece of the wooden ceiling breaks and falls down the dining table, sending it aflame.

Jiyong tries to get Seunghyun to snap out of it. Jiyong remembered Seunghyun’s house burned down when he was little. He had said he was the only one left. His parents and siblings must have perished in the fire and Seunghyun was left traumatized.

“SEUNGHYUN!!!”

His voice seemed to reach Seunghyun as he snapped back from shock. Jiyong took his hand and led him to the door. It was already on fire and Jiyong kicked it down so that they could get outside. They collapsed on the grass.

“Seunghyun, are you alright?” Jiyong coughed as he scanned Seunghyun’s condition. He lets out a relieved sigh when he finds Seunghyun only had minor burns.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry…” Jiyong continued to whisper to his ear as Seunghyun watched his house burn down. The fire had consumed everything, including his most beloved miniature collection. Jiyong could almost cry at Seunghyun’s blank expression. Jiyong hugged him, feeling sorry as he watched Seunghyun witness his home crumble to ashes.

“I’ve finally found you.”

Jiyong lifts his head and finds Dongwook standing in the shadows. Jiyong panics. This wasn’t the time for Dongwook to appear. He still hasn’t regained his powers and Seunghyun was not himself.

“Good job masking your scent with the greenwood.” Dongwook stepped closer. “Been tracking you for two nights and I really was ready to give up.”

When Dongwook stepped into the moonlight, Jiyong could see the scars in his face.

“A beast has been guarding the perimeter of this area.” Dongwook was a few feet away from him now. “Look at what he did to me.”

“Looks good on you.” Jiyong spatted back.

Dongwook laughed. “Always so feisty eh?” he clenched his fists, ready for a fight.

“Jiyong go.” Seunghyun motions for Jiyong to leave. “I’ll handle this.”

Jiyong shakes his head. “You don’t understand Seunghyun. You’re no match for them. They’re not human.” Jiyong tries to get Seunghyun to stand. “I’m the one they want. They won’t harm you once they have me. I want you to escape okay?”

“How lovely. Jiyong sacrifices his life for a human.” Dongwook laughs, trying to get the other vampires to laugh with him. “Like your father, you’re weakness are humans after all.”

Jiyong was frozen on the spot when he sees the vampirian council appear from the shadows. So many had come to take him back.

“Please Jiyong. Go.” Seunghyun tells him with closed eyes. “I don’t want you to see this.”

“Come now Jiyong.” Dongwook calls to him. “Enough talk!” Dongwook takes a step and in seconds was in front of them. Before Dongwook could grab Jiyong though, he was sent flying to the opposite side.

“S-Seunghyun…?”

Jiyong could only stare at Seunghyun’s arm that had become large and fury. Other parts of him started to transform too. His feet had become elongated and his legs stretched out. Black, hard fur came out of his skin. His face contorted into that of a wild wolf. He had onyx eyes that glimmered in the night. He sweet smile had become rabid.

Seunghyun transformed into a large wolf with human like posture. Jiyong recognized the creature from Jinu’s vision.

A lycan.

Seunghyun was a lycanthrope.

 

-=oOo=-

 

Lycanthropes were different from your usual werewolf. They don’t go crazy during the full moon and they can transform to a beast at their own will. When they transforms, they are not like werewolves who were half men and half wolf. They were either fully human or fully beast. But they retain a part of their human mind when they were beasts and retain a part of their beast-like strength when they were humans.

It started with Seunghyun’s mother and father. Both were lycanthropes. It was genetic. When he was young, they would tell stories about their origins and their powers. Lycans before could not control their bloodrage and killed hundreds of cattle, sheep and other animals in a single night. Since they lose their human reason during the bloodrage, they also attacked humans. They gained many enemies and were forced into the Great War against vampires.

Seunghyun’s mother and father participated in the Great War. They made Seunghyun promise to guard the house and wait until their return.

That night, they did not come home.

Seunghyun could not overcome the sadness he felt at the loss of his parents. It triggered his transformation. That night, sorrowful howls could be heard all throughout the village.

As an orphan, he did not have the means to feed himself. He transforms into a wolf during the night and steals cattle and sheep to survive. One night, a farmer went outside and caught him feeding in his pasture. The farmer fires a few shots at him and Seunghyun tries to get him to calm down and stay quiet but because of his unnatural strength, he had killed him accidentally.

It did not take long until the villagers suspected he was the beast. As a young boy, he was chained to a post and was left to be burned. But then he transforms into the monster they fear and went into bloodrage – a state in which the beast fully takes control of the being, only allowed to have their humanity back when they had satiated their thirst for blood, carnage and death.

Seunghyun wakes up to a burning world and he escapes to the forest.

He lives in a cave for a few months but then he began to build another home. He still held on to the promise he made to his parents. In his heart, he still wishes for them to return.

Seunghyun doesn’t risk being among humans again. The world had no place for bloodrage – it was too terrible and tragic. He could not bear to think he could rob another child of his parents, nor families of their homes.

He had lived a peaceful life in the heart of the woods, away from the humans, where they could both be safe.

It has been years since he had made human contact. When he finds a vampire preying on an innocent young man, he couldn’t help but bare his fangs.

That night he wakes up to loud yelling. Even if his cottage was in the middle of the woods, he could hear the shouting from the edge of the forest. He followed the source of the cries and he finds Jiyong lying on the forest floor.

The vampire was about to take Jiyong’s life but Seunghyun steps in, transforming into a wolf in front of him - it scares the vampire away.

For the second time, Seunghyun finds himself in between Dongwook and Jiyong.

 

-=oOo=-

 

He bares his fangs. He stomped his way toward Dongwook, stretching his long legs with every step. When he reached his maximum height, he growls.

“It’s him!” Dongwook pointed at Seunghyun. “Hurry. Call for the elders!”

Jiyong just laid there on the grass, petrified. He didn’t know Seunghyun was a lycan. It was impossible. He remembers the paw he saw before he went unconscious two days ago. Was it Seunghyun after all? Seunghyun did tell him he found Jiyong that night. Could it be?

Seunghyun also disappeared during night-time. Had he been patrolling the area as what Dongwook suggests? Did he get into a fight with Dongwook? Had he gave him that scar? Was that why he went home bloody and exhausted?

Jiyong looked up at Seunghyun.

He hated the lycans. He had spent centuries hunting for them and planning his revenge. Their race killed his father and he felt angry just by thinking of these wild beasts’ existence.

But Seunghyun, why does he have to be one?

He had shared a meal with him. He had slept in the same bed with him. He held him in his arms and he kissed him. He loved him. He loves Seunghyun. He loves his enemy.

“Get him!” Dongwook commands and members of the vampirian army appear from the sky, baring their fangs against Seunghyun.

Vampires and lycanthropes were almost equal in strength. Lycans used their speed and brute force during a fight and vampires utilized their supernatural powers. One vampire had used his power to summon a flame but it does not work against Seunghyun’s hard fur. They tried to take him down using mind control but Seunghyun took down the summoning vampire before he could do anymore damage.

The fight had become a blur in Jiyong’s eyes as he watched the fight in sonic speed. Amidst the fight, Jiyong didn’t notice the large boulder flying at him. It was too late to evade when he turned his head. He willed for teleportation but nothing happened.

“Seunghyun!” Jiyong shouts as Seunghyun stepped in to take the hit.

It looked like the attack hurt Seunghyun. The wolf momentarily limped while he walked and the fight had come to a standstill.

“My, my,” Sean appeared from the shadows. “So it is true.”

Gummy followed after him. “Good job Jiyong. You have found the lycan.”

Jiyong looked at Seunghyun. He could tell Seunghyun was surprised. “No.” Jiyong shakes his head as he looked at the beasts’ onyx eyes.

Dongwook was about to protest but Gummy silences him. “The title of General of the vampirian army suits you.”

Seunghyun drops his fighting stance at Gummy’s words. The beasts’ face relaxes and his ears drops low. The dangerous animal was no more and Seunghyun was reduced to a forlorn creature.

“Seunghyun, no, don’t believe them.” Jiyong shakes his head and tries to touch him. He could tell Seunghyun was recalling the moment when Jiyong tried to bite him. And that moment when he tried to his blood.

Seunghyun avoids him.

“I could never hurt you.” Jiyong tried to touch him once again. “I love you.”

Jiyong’s statement seemed to make Seunghyun listen. It looked like he believed Jiyong.

“Splendid Jiyong. You can stop acting now.” Jinu appears from out of nowhere. “Let me show him.”

“NO JINU STOP!”

The black cloud appears in front of Seunghyun. It showed an image of Jiyong. He was smiling sweetly to a handsome man as he led him to the bedroom. They sat on the bed and they shared stories.  When the man leaned in for a kiss, Jiyong bared his fangs.

It was not a pretty sight. Jiyong’s eyes were red with bloodlust and the man writhe wildly in Jiyong’s arms as he pushed him down. Blood was spurting everywhere and after the meal, Jiyong stood up and wiped his mouth with the back of his hands.

The image fades out and a more recent memory comes into view. It was of the Dark Gathering two days ago. Gummy was speaking to Jiyong.

“PLEASE JINU, DON’T!” Jiyong shouted.

The Jiyong from Jinu’s vision glared at the vampires in the room. “I’ll hunt every last one of them wolves.” He said.

Jiyong looks at Seunghyun and he could see Seunghyun’s heart crushing.

“Now you know Jiyong’s true identity.” Jinu pointed to Jiyong. “Why don’t you surrender?”

Seunghyun looked at Jiyong and the beast lowered his head. He gave up the fight. He had no more reason to fight. Even if Jiyong tricked him, he still loved Jiyong. The least he could do was help Jiyong accomplish his mission.

“No!” Jiyong yelled. “Don’t let them take you!” Jiyong ran to him. “Seunghyun, FIGHT!”

Dongwook blocked Seunghyun’s path and kicked him in the stomach.

“S-Seunghyun…” Jiyong called as his body curled in pain.

The sight of Jiyong in pain angered Seunghyun. So much that the beast in him took control of his human mind. His eyes had lost their humane shine.

The bloodrage.

The beast howled to the moon before attacking everything in its path. Dongwook was first to receive the beasts’ rage. The wolf had thrown him into the woods and the force of impact brings down tress in his path.

 The vampirian army tried to stop him but all their efforts seem to just slow him down.

“Do we need him alive?” Sean asked.

Gummy spoke in a sad voice. They were planning to keep him captive for study but - “There is no way to stop him now.”

“Finish him” Jinu commands.

The beast took down most of the vampires and went straight to the elders next.

“NO! STOP!” Jiyong comes in between them. He didn’t want them harming Seunghyun. Most of all, he didn’t want Seunghyun to become a bloodthirsty animal.

“Step aside.” Sean readies his fingers. He was a powerful vampire and his hands could do real damage.

“There is no use talking to him now.” Jinu tells him.

“SEUNGHYUN!” Jiyong tries to get the beast’s attention. “IT’S ME, JIYONG!”

The beast let’s go of a vampire and drops its body to the ground.

“You must believe me, I didn’t know this before.”

He looks at Jiyong with a deadly scowl.

“I know you’re still in there. Please turn back to the Seunghyun I know. You don’t need to do this. I don’t want you like this.”

The beast doesn’t listen and just runs after Jiyong.

“JIYONG!” Gummy shouts but Jiyong doesn’t evade. He just stands in the beasts’ path. He closes his eyes.

The wolf runs Jiyong down and a claw pierces Jiyong side. Jiyong’s blood was now spilling on the grass.

 The beast looks triumphantly at his wounded prey. However, the beast suddenly stops and stares at Jiyong’s weak figure.

His eyes had begun to change back and soon he was transforming again, all the way back to his human form.

“J-Ji-Jiyong!” Seunghyun held him in his arms. “What have I done?!” Seunghyun hugged him and cried.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU STOP ME?!” he shouted at the vampires who were watching.

“He could regenerate, right?” Seunghyun asked them more calmly now. “You have those powers don’t you?”

“He is losing too much blood. It is our life force.” Gummy answers him. “He cannot regenerate without fresh blood in his system.”

Seunghyun lets a hand change into a claw. Using a sharp fingernail, he pierces at his own skin and lets the blood flow.

“Come on Jiyong.” Seunghyun smears Jiyong’s lips with the red substance. “Take my blood.”

Jiyong doesn’t move.

Seunghyun looked at Jiyong. He was losing too much blood already. Anymore and he would have none left.

“He has dead blood in his system.” Dongwook appears from the forest. “He will not heal unless all of it is removed.”

Seunghyun thinks hard on Dongwook’s words. He looked at Jiyong’s broken body. He takes his claw and pierces the wound, making it deeper. More blood spills and soon the bleeding stopped.

The vampires whispered to each other. The lycan had killed the dark lord’s son. The Second Great War was upon them.

“Come now my child.” Jinu taps Seunghyun’s shoulder. “It is time for us to go.”

“Seunghyun is coming with me.”

The vampires gasp when they hear Jiyong’s voice. Seunghyun steps aside to reveal Jiyong in his glorious vampire form.

“Dead blood doesn’t suit me.” Jiyong bares his retractable fangs. After all the dead blood was removed in his system, it only takes him minutes to regenerate some of his strength. Jiyong’s heart seemed to beats into life when he sees Seunghyun smiling at him.

Seunghyun hugs Jiyong and tilts his head to the side. “Take what you need.”

Jiyong didn’t hesitate. He had wanted to taste Seunghyun the moment he met the man. He wouldn’t reject his offer now. Jiyong bites down Seunghyun’s neck as carefully as possible. He could feel his power coming back as Seunghyun’s blood flowed through his body. Jiyong’s blood felt so good inside of him and he feels his body coming back to life.

When he finished feeding, he looked at the vampires around who were eyeing them with red eyes. Seunghyun’s blood was so fragrant it would drive any vampire crazy with lust.

“Leave us.” Jiyong hissed. “Or face my bloodrage.”

Jinu seems to be deep in thought. He must have had another vision of the future. “Very well.”

Upon Jinu’s signal, the vampires disappeared into thin air all at once.

 

-=oOo=-

 

“Does it hurt?” Jiyong asked, examining the bite marks on Seunghyun’s neck.

“Not at all.”  Seunghyun looks out the carriage window.

“You’ll love our new home.” Jiyong smiles to him. “It has a bio-ethanol fireplace. You won’t need to split wood anymore. It has a remote control and you could change the colour of its flames.”

“How lovely.” Seunghyun smiles back.

“I placed it in our bedroom so you won’t miss it when you wake up.” Jiyong laughed.

“Perfect.” Seunghyun gave him a kiss.

“Seunghyun,” Jiyong asked when the carriage started to slow down. “Can I ask you something?”

Seunghyun was busy admiring the concrete buildings. They were on top of a mountain overlooking the city center. “Mm.”  he nodded.

“Do you know why the dark vampire lord died?” Jiyong held on to his hand.

Seunghyun puts down the small curtain he has been holding. “My father told me a story before. My ancestors had witnessed it a long time ago.” Seunghyun tells Jiyong another one of his stories. “A vampire lord fell in love with a human. They had a child but the mother had become sick. She had died and the vampire lord kissed him for the last time.”

 “It’s sad isn’t it?” Seunghyun frowns.

“It’s a happy ending, I think.” Jiyong smiles at Seunghyun to cheer him up. “Hey, Seunghyun-”

“Mm?”

The carriage door opens and a shined shoe lands on the steps.

“We’re home.”

 

END

 

A/N: Can’t decide theme for next chapter. Castle setting? Café setting?

Help...?