Tu me manques, Happy Tears

Mini-Jongin Guiding Manual

When Kyungsoo got out of the bathroom after his well-deserved shower that night, he felt his heart skip a beat.

 

The note Jongin left for him earlier that day (‘Don't be late, Kyungie!’ and the address of the restaurant scribbled on the side) was, for unknown reasons, on the ground. It seemed like it had fell, although Kyungsoo had no idea why or how.

 

Tilting his head in confusion, the boy opened his wardrobe to get dressed. He tossed his shirts and pants here and there and finally settled with a white, crisp dress shirt and light blue shorts.

 

“This should be okay…” He said, looking at his reflection in the mirror. But somehow Kyungsoo could not brush away the anxious feeling within him.

 

Did something happen…?

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

Kyungsoo jumped at the sound. It was from the door to his room. Miyoung had walked in, face pale and knuckles turning white.

 

“What?”

 

His heart was trobbing.

 

“Why didn’t you pick your phone up!?” Miyoung had never raised her voice towards him before and this made the said boy’s eyes grow wide. “Sehun and Baekhyun tried calling you hundreds of times! They even ended up calling me!”

 

“I—I was  showering…”

 

Kyungsoo made his way to grab his cell phone when his sister grabbed his hand.

 

“It doesn’t matter! We have to go now!”

 

“W—What? What’s going on? Why are you so panic—“

 

“Jongin got into an accident!”

 

Silence.

 

No one in the room moved.

 

Not Kyungsoo, not Miyoung.

 

The cell phone on Kyungsoo’s hand fell and broke into pieces.

 

***

The hospital was silent.

 

Kyungsoo almost fainted at the smell of blood and Miyoung had to hold his hand to make sure he does not fall, or even worse—faint. His chest was beating rapidly and his heart was threatening to break out of his ribcage.

 

Jongin…

 

Got into an accident…

 

Everything felt like a blur to Kyungsoo. He can still remember the familiar scent of Jongin earlier that day that wished him a ‘good morning.’

 

“Good morning, Kyungie!”

 

Smooch!

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in shock as he felt Jongin’s lips against his cheek. He felt himself turning red and immediately looked away.

 

“G—Good morning…”

 

“I hope you’re ready for our date later!”

 

Date!? Did he just say that it was going to be a ‘date!?’

 

He still remembered the way Jongin complimented his breakfast; though it was a simple meal of toast and scrambled eggs.

 

“Thank you for the delicious meal! You’re the best cook ever!” Jongin’s smile widened as Kyungsoo placed the plate in front of him.

 

“What’s so great about bread and eggs?” The shorter boy raised his eyebrows.

 

“Everything tastes better when you make them, Kyungie.”

 

But now life decided to conspire against him and Jongin is now unconscious in the ICU.

 

Everyone could only hope for the best.

 

When Kyungsoo and Miyoung finally reached Sehun and Baekhyun’s location, the two told them what happened. Long-story-short, The Do siblings discovered that Jongin had planned the whole thing with the help of Sehun and Baekhyun. They were there to cross the checklist of Jongin’s outfit and went home earlier, letting Jongin now that they will meet him at the restaurant. Sehun also explained how he received a call from the restaurant asking why he is not there yet though it had passed the reservation time. Curious, he headed towards the place to see a crowd surrounding a body which turned out to be Jongin.

 

“Why did you leave him alone!? You know he’s not used to walking by himself!” Screamed Kyungsoo furiously, eyes looking at the two then solidly at Baekhyun. “Especially you! I told you everything and this is how you repay me!? You piece of shi—“

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

Miyoung’s voice broke the tension and Kyungsoo’s hand that was halfway in the air aiming for Baekhyun’s face dropped to his side. He looked down, body shaking in fear.

 

“Kyungsoo…” Baekhyun said softly. “I’m so… so sorry… If I knew this would happen I wouldn’t have left him alone.”

 

“But you did.”

 

Kyungsoo’s voice was trembling. Tears started to pour and the boy refused to look up. Miyoung had slowly directed him to one of the chairs, making him sit down while patting his back. Sehun went to the venching machine and got him a bottle of water.

 

“Drink, it won’t make you feel better but at least you’ll calm down.” The youngest of the three boys said as-a-matter-of-factly. Kyungsoo did not respond but nevertheless took the flask and started to gulp.

 

“He’s still unconscious. The doctor is still performing surgery.” Sehun added afterwards. “I’m sorry for being so careless. Sorry I left him alone, hyung. If I could, I’d take his plac—“

 

“Don’t say that. Luhan hyung would be sad.”

 

How can someone who’s in so much pain still pay attention to others’ needs? Sehun’s mind said, but the thought of Luhan crying made him regret what he just said. It was as if he was implying that Kyungsoo would feel better if he was the one who got into an accident instead of Jongin.

 

And soon after that, everything fell into a pit of silence.

 

No one spoke a word. The only sources of noise were the flickering of the light bulbs on the ceiling and the click-and-clacking of the nurses’ heels.

 

MiMiyoung told Baekhyun and Sehun to go home first and that she and Kyungsoo will stay to watch over Jongin, but they both refused. The two boys felt like this was their responsibility as well, for they did suggest the idea to Jongin.

 

Now, all they can do is wait.

 

***

“Jongin?”

 

The larger figure in front of Kyungsoo started to shrink from his sight. He tried to run after it, but his feet would not comply. It was as if they were glued to the ground.

 

“Jongin!”

 

Kyungsoo shouted with all his might, but nothing came out of his mouth. It was as if he had gotten mute. Even he himself did not hear his voice. He tried to reach his arms out but the figure was on the brink of disappearing.

 

“Jongin, don’t go!” He tried again to no avail.

 

The figure disappeared in the darkness.

 

Kyungsoo screamed.

 

***

It was at the break of dawn when Do Kyungsoo woke up from his nightmare, his forehead drenched from the cold sweat. He noticed that his sister was sound asleep and so were Baekhyun and Sehun a few seats away from him. Most of the lights in the hallway were off; it was definitely darker than before.

 

Carefully, the boy got up and stretched. He must have tired himself out by crying.

 

Right, Jongin got into an accident.

 

Rubbing his eyes, he decided to head to the vending machine to get himself a drink. Kyungsoo settled in for a can of orange juice and sat back down. His eyes darted towards the ICU as he drank his juice.

 

How many hours has it been since Jongin had been in that room?

 

Why hasn’t anybody said anything yet?

 

Is everything okay?

 

His chest started to swell again. Kyungsoo looked down to see that he was still wearing the outfit he chose to go on the date with Jongin. Only now his dress shirt was crumpled, just like his heart. He touched his cheeks and found them to be warm—his tears were still wet.

 

“Jongin…” The boy mumbled to himself.

 

Funny, Kyungsoo thought. Usually, Jongin would be the one who looks for me when I’m not around. Now it’s my turn, huh…

 

A small smile escaped his lips and a tiny teardrop fell from his left eye.

 

And soon Kyungsoo began crying again.

 

Just like in his dream, his voice did not come out. It was as if there was a lump in his throat. He clenched his eyes tightly, not wanting to face reality.

 

“Hmm… Kyungsoo?”

 

The voice broke his alienation from the real world and Kyungsoo forced himself to open his orbs, which were met with Baekhyun’s sleepy ones.

 

His friend was trying his best to focus his gaze. He sat up and wiped the small trickle of drool off his mouth and sighed.

 

“Are you feeling better?”

 

“A little.” Answered Kyungsoo. “Do you want something to drink? I’ll get it from the vending machine.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head with a smile. “No, it’s fine.”

 

Silence.

 

“Is there any news?”

 

“No.”

 

It was sad, but true. Despite how long they had waited in the hospital, no one had came to announce Jongin’s condition. Not even the nurses who are usually in charge of informing such news.

 

Baekhyun regretted his question and gulped. He slowly started to stretch before standing up, taking a seat next to his friend.

 

“So you really are in love with him, huh?”

 

The bold question made Kyungsoo fluster. “W—What makes you say that?”

 

“I’ve never seen you so angry before. You’re usually the calmer one between the three of us.”

 

“Sehun is the calmest one.”

 

“A poker face doesn’t make him a calm person.”

 

Kyungsoo let out a weak laugh. It was true that Oh Sehun was the master of poker faces.

 

“I guess I am in love with him.” He admitted casually and Baekhyun nodded as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

 

“At least his feelings are returned then.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Whoops, I forgot to tell you.”

 

“Byun Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo girlishly squealed, weakly punching his friend. “Tell me!”

 

After a few giggles here and there, Baekhyun finally let out a small breath.

 

“He told me you were like his heart.”

 

The younger of the two froze and felt his cheeks blushing once again.

 

“Jongin said that without you, he would cease to exist.”

 

Tu me maques…” Kyungsoo whimpered, touching his beating chest.

 

“Exactly! That’s what I told hi—Kyungsoo, are you okay? Aw man, I made you cry again!”

 

Kyungsoo did not even realize he had started crying again. Baekhyun did not know what to do since he could not find any tissues so in the end used his sleeve to wipe his friend’s tears.

 

“I really love him, Baek…”

 

“Yeah yeah, I know.”

 

“Thank you…”

 

Baekhyun raised his eyebrow. “Why?”

 

“For telling me.”

 

***

It was around six-thirty in the morning when the doctor came out to personally greet Kyungsoo and the others. He was quite young for a surgeon and had a kind smile.

 

“Hello, you must be Jongin-ssi’s relatives.” The man said. “I’m doctor Zhang Yixing. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

Kyungsoo nervously shook doctor Zhang’s hand and bowed. “I—It’s nice to meet you, I’m Do Kyungsoo. How is Jongin?”

 

“Well, before I update you on his condition, may I know the relationship between you two?”

 

“We’re his distant family.” Miyoung cut in. “Jongin is currently living with us. He lived overseas beforehand.”

 

Doctor Zhang seemed to believe them as he started nodding while rubbing his chin. “Ah, all right. I would like to talk about his body a little bit, if you don’t mind, Miss—“

 

“Do. Do Miyoung.”

 

“Ah, well, I would like to have a word with you personally Miss Do.” The man turned to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and a (half-awake) Sehun. “The three of you may go see Jongin-ssi if you please.”

 

“H—How is he?” Baekhyun asked.

 

For a moment, doctor Zhang did not answer. Everyone started to sweat and Kyungsoo felt his heart dropping. His stomach started doing back flips and the tears were threatening to drop.

 

“Jongin-ssi is making a surprisingly very amazing recovery. He’s all right now. The nurses are currently moving him out of the ICU and into a normal room.”

 

It was the light at the end of the tunnel.

 

A catharsis.

 

Kyungsoo could not contain his joy as he practically wrapped his arms around Doctor Zhang. He had started to cry and Baekhyun and Sehun sighed in relief. Miyoung was smiling as well, unable to be happier for her brother than she already is.

 

“Thank you so much, doctor! Thank you!”

 

The boy bowed at least ten times and so did Baekhyun and Sehun, muttering countless words of gratitude before heading towards Jongin’s room.

 

Good things do come to those who wait.

 

***

Miyoung followed doctor Zhang into his office and sat down on the chair provided in front of his desk. The man grabbed a few X-Ray files and showed it to her.

 

“What are these?” Inquired Miyoung, staring at the bones.

 

“These are X-Ray results of Jongin-ssi’s bones. As you can see here—“ He pointed at the picture on the left. “—His bones are broken due to the car crash. Usually no one could survive such an injury. But here—“ Doctor Zhang pointed at the other file. “—You can see that his bones are already ‘glued’ back together. We haven’t done anything besides observing the cracked areas, but it seems like his cells have a rapid auto recovery. I have never seen anything so amazing before. It’s as if he has a self-repairing component in his body.”

 

Miyoung tilted her head in confusion. She was never really one to be good in science. But truth be told, she was amazed. Miyoung had no idea that Jongin had such a strong immunity in him. How amazing is it that his bones can rejoin after they have been broken?

 

What a special boy… She told herself.

 

“I’m terribly sorry for keeping him so long in the emergency room. My assistant and I were simply observing how such a phenomena could happen. We left him for a bit longer to see the changes and his bones have, in fact, glued themselves together without any professional aid. It’s truly amazing. I would really like to observe him a little bit more if you don’t mind.”

 

“Well,” Miyoung finally voiced out. “I don’t really mind, as long as you do not treat him as a lab experiment. I don’t want you taking cells or blood samples as you please. Jongin is a very special member of the family.”

 

“Of course. I just want to see how he recovers within the next few days. And since what happened to him is truly a miracle, the hospital is willing to cover sixty percent of the medical fees.”

 

The words made Miyoung’s pupil dilate. Did she hear him right? She did not have to pay the entire costs of Jongin’s hospital fees? Well, it’s not like she is stingy or anything but Miyoung does not have that much money to start with. Such help would mean a lot to her.

 

“Thank you so much.” The girl replied. “I truly am grateful that he’s unharmed. I owe you a lot, doctor.”

 

Doctor Zhang took his glasses off and grinned. “Don’t be silly, I did not do anything. It was Jongin-ssi himself who healed his bones. If anything, I would like to thank you for introducing me to such an amazing discovery.”

 

***

When Baekhyun and Sehun said that they would wait outside, Kyungsoo blinked curiously.

 

“Don’t you want to see him?”

 

“We do,” Sehun answered. “But you deserve to see him the most. We’ll see him later. Right, Baekhyun hyung?”

 

“U-huh! And Sehun’s boyfriend is coming over. We’ll wait for him in the front door. He brought Jongin some fruits.”

 

Kyungsoo was not given the chance to argue because both of his friends immediately fled. Raising his shoulders, he nervously grabbed the doorknob. His wrist slowly twisted the handle and pushed the wooden frame open.

 

The boy felt his heart beating rapidly once again.

 

He took small, baby steps deeper into the white walls and finally saw the edge of a hospital bed.

 

“Kyungie!”

 

And the next thing Kyungsoo knew, he was crying.

 

He ran towards Jongin who had his arms extended wide, a large grin on his face. A bandage was on his head.

 

He felt warmth.

 

Jongin was warm.

 

He was alive and all right.

 

Kyungsoo wrapped his shorter arms around Jongin’s body tightly, burying his head in his chest. He did not care if Jongin’s hospital gown was now soaking wet. He felt Jongin’s heartbeat and breaths and smiled.

 

He was still breathing.

 

His heart was still functioning.

 

His Jongin was alive.

 

“Kyungie why are you crying!? Are you sad!?”

 

The other boy’s voice had a hint of panic as he grabbed both of Kyungsoo’s cheeks, locking their gazes. Oh, how Kyungsoo wanted to melt into those beautiful orbs.

 

“W—I’m not sad…” Kyungsoo managed to choke out between the sobs.

 

“Then why are you crying? People cry when they’re sad, right?”

 

Oh.

 

Oh.

 

“Aw, Jongin…” The smaller male said sweetly, tears now flowing at a slower speed. “Sometimes people cry because they’re happy.”

 

“R—Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The two stared at each other for a little bit longer before Kyungsoo detached himself from Jongin, much to the other’s dismay. He sat on the side of the bed and the other’s soft locks, the smile he had on never leaving his face.

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

“I feel great! Because you were there the whole time!”

 

“Eh?”

 

To this, Jongin touched the area where his heart was and closed his eyes. He slowly listened to his own heartbeat. “You were here the whole time, Kyungie… With you, I can still function properly.”

 

Tu me manques.

 

Kyungsoo did not know whether he should smile, squeal or cry some more. He had never been so happy and exhilarated his whole life. All he wanted to do was press his body against Jongin’s and never let go.

 

“Don’t ever try to surprise me like that again, okay!?” He pretended to be angry to ease the tension as well as the riot in his ribcage.

 

In return, Jongin pouted. He started to fiddle with his hands. “I just wanted to show you how much I love you…”

 

I love you.

 

Did Jongin really just say that to him?

 

Can this day really get any better for Do Kyungsoo?

 

“W—What—“

 

“I love you, Kyungie!” Jongin repeated. “Hmm, yes! I definitely love you! I love you so much!”

 

“I—I love you too…”

 

“Kyungie,” The taller grabbed his hand, a firm smile on his face. “Will you be my boyfriend?”

 

Did Kyungsoo hear him right?

 

Did Jongin just asked him to be his boyfriend?

 

“I don’t ever want to be apart from you again! Sehunnie said that if you were my boyfriend we’d always be together!”

 

“I—Oh Jongin…” Kyungsoo’s voice was lithe and small. Everything Jongin had said to him made him go weak. I have to talk to Oh Sehun after this for teaching Jongin such things… “I’ll always be with you even if I wasn’t your boyfriend.”

 

Jongin tilted his head.

 

“Nothing, never mind. I… I love you too.”

 

“So is that a ‘yes?”

 

“Yes, yes, yes!”

 

The next thing they know, Kyungsoo was already wrapped in Jongin’s embrace once again. He snuggled against Jongin’s strong arms and inhaled the scent he loved and missed so much.

 

“I love you so much, Kyungie…” He felt a kiss on his forehead.

 

“I love you too…”

 

Jongin grabbed the other’s chin and their eyes met once again, but it wasn’t long before Kyungsoo had to close them because Jongin was kissing his lips.

 

Jongin was kissing his lips.

 

Their mouths molded against each other and though Jongin was inexperienced Kyungsoo could not care less because all he could think about was how mesmerizing Jongin’s warm breath were against his own.

 

“I love you so much, Jongin-ah.”

 

“Heehee, I love you more~!”

 

***

A/N: ta-da! <3 i hope this chapter wasn't too cheesy or whatnot. i did not want too much angst so ;D if you like this story be sure to upvote/comment! it'll mean the world to me. oh and talk to me on ask.fm/tumblr if you like! or my instagram, i love everyone who follows my instagram heehee~ OH AND A REMINDER THIS IS NOT THE END I'LL HAVE 2 MORE CHAPTERS WITH SO PLEASE STAY TUNED ;D