Brother?

Damnation

Hyunjoong

 

I wake up gasping for air and sweat trickling down my back. That nightmare again. My vision was blurry, I couldn't breathe and I heard screams around me. That very same nightmare has been haunting me for a really long time and I can't seem to get rid of it. The sunlight is shyly trying to invade my room and the clock is displaying 5 a.m. Going back to sleep is really not worth it as I'm too shaken up by the nightmare.

I get out of bed and shove the curtains aside to welcome the sunlight. The ground outside is slightly wet and the windows are covered with rain drops.

After taking a shower and eating breakfast, I start thinking about the conversation that Hyomi and I had last night. She was willing to exchange her phone number with me in case if something crucial happens. The story about the twins really fascinates me and my first priority is to find out who the soon-to-be leader is.

My phone signals me a new text message and I open it;

From: Hyomi

 

Father is going to visit his relatives today in another village and won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. Seunghyun will occasionally check up on me every 2 hours. If you want to know more of the story; meet me at the riverside today at 7 p.m.

Please don't respond back, they're unaware of me having a phone.

 

I stuff my phone into my pocket with a wondering look. Am I really doing the right thing? Hyomi is risking her life to give all these information to me willingly. Either way, I'll do my best to protect her. Whatever is going on in this village has to stop, but how can two people go against the majority?

Setting aside thoughts for a moment, I grab my voice recorder and stuff it in my shirt pocket. To make the hours pass quickly till it's 7 p.m; I'll make a mind map of this village, write down every information I have gathered so far and print out my photos of the village. I put my eyeglasses on, gather my writing equipments and start drawing the mind map.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyomi

 

''Make sure Hyomi behaves herself,'' my father says to Seunghyun.

''Don't worry, she will. At least under my watch,'' Seunghyun assures. I roll my eyes in annoyance.

My father pats Seunghyun on the shoulder and gives me a piercing look that means ''behave''. After closing the front door, Seunghyun turns to me, his eyes fixed on mine;

''Don't leave the house without my permission. I'll check up on you every 2 hours as I know you will be home anyway. I trust you,'' he says. He makes a movement to touch my cheek but I avert my face to the opposite wall.

''See you at 6 p.m,'' he says and walks out the door.

I lean towards the wall and bury my face in my hands. I wish my mother and Hyeji were here. Thinking of them gives me strength enough as I stand up and start pacing around the living room, thinking about what I should do to make time fly by until I meet Hyunjoong.

Seeing how messy the house is, I start by vacuum cleaning, scrubbing the floors and polishing the windows. After that, I handwash the dirty laundry and hang them on the washing line. Looking at the clock; it's 4.30 p.m. I have enough time to make my mother's famous ddeok. Hyeji and I loved that delicacy, it didn't taste like any other ddeok, this was special.

After prepping and making ddeok, they turn out to be a success and taste exactly the way my mother used to make them. I'm all exhausted and it's 5.30 p.m. I decide to take a nap as I want to avoid seeing Seunghyun at all costs.

***

I wake up by the sound of the front door opening and closing. Footsteps slowly entering the living room and staying quiet for some time. It's definitely Seunghyun. I hear him walking over to my room so I pretend that I'm asleep. I hear him leaning over the doorframe and observes me silently.

''She'd make a great wife,'' he whispers. My eyes widen and my heart starts beating rapidly. Thankfully, my back is facing him. My panic calms down as he walks into the kitchen, grabs some ddeoks and leaves the house after a while. I let out my held breath and look at the clock;

7.30 p.m.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyunjoong

 

30 minutes have passed by and still no sign of Hyomi. Is she okay?

I can hear the river flowing gently and the villagers ought to be home by now. I keep checking my watch and my hands are urging me to give Hyomi a call, but I don't want to risk getting her caught red-handedly.

Footsteps running hurriedly towards my direction caught my attention, I turn around and see Hyomi running with an apologetic look on her face. I turn my voice recorder on without her noticing it.

''I'm so sorry, I overslept and Seunghyun arrived later than usual,'' Hyomi says with a ragged breath.

''It's fine, glad you're not hurt,'' I say with a calm smile.

Hyomi smiles warmly and fishes something out of her pocket.

''What's this?'' I ask as she hands me the thin, frail paper. I turn the paper over and it's a picture with two twin babies.

''They were the ones who I told you about,'' Hyomi says. She points her finger towards the baby with the black hair;

''That's the one who survived the fire incident and is the soon-to-be leader,'' she says.

''I recognize those eyes...'' I begin, as my heart starts racing. ''It can't be,'' I say.

''It's Seunghyun,'' Hyomi verifies. My mouth slightly opens but I close it quickly and I clear my throat;

''He's the soon-to-be?'' I ask in surprise. Hyomi nods to confirm it.

''Don't mistake me as a paranoia, but, the baby with the brown hair... looks like you.'' Hyomi says insecurely and scrutinizes me.

I take a closer look at him, it eerily looks like me as a baby but that can't be. I was born in Seoul.

''He doesn't look like me at all when I was a baby,'' I lie.

''Hmm, maybe I was too into it. Sorry,'' Hyomi blushes and tucks her hair behind her ear. I waved it off politely and kept thinking about the fire incident.

''Oh, and please don't mention anything about this to to Seunghyun,'' she pleads. I make a gesture to zip my lips and she smiles brightly.

''I'm glad I have a friend like you,'' Hyomi says shyly. ''No one... has ever helped me like this before,'' she whispers. I hear her stifle a sniff and a tear rolls down her heart-shaped face. My hand slowly lifts her chin up and I wipe the tear off gently. I take her into my arms as she trembles with mixed emotions.

''It will be fine. I am here for you, whenever you need me,'' I whisper and she holds onto me tightly.

Luckily, no one is around to witness any of this. I look around, still holding Hyomi, and I witness a figure pass by again, the same I saw a couple of nights ago. I keep a straight posture as I don't want to worry Hyomi who finally regains calmness.

***

After walking with Hyomi half-way towards her house, we parted ways. When I reached my home, I got a text from her;

From: Hyomi

I came home safe and sound. Fortunately, no one is here. ^^

Thank you for walking with me and being there for me :)

 

I chuckle and place my phone on the counter. As I come to realize, whenever I think about Hyomi, my heart flutters which makes me smile.

I've been yearning to relax on my armchair for a while so I head towards it and sit comfortably. The only noise heard is the clock ticking away slowly and rhythmic, soon striking to be 9 p.m.

''The baby with the brown hair... looks like you.'' Hyomi's words echoing in my mind. It brings me back to the nightmare I keep having; the blurry vision, screams... unable to breathe.

I jerk up from the armchair with a ragged breath.

Perchance, is my nightmare really... the fire incident?

I hurriedly turn on my video camera to make an entry but a knock on the door interrupts me.