112

Damnation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RKj0w5Qd2w (Right click to open in a new tab)

T.O.P - Of All Days

Hyunjoong

 

After unpacking, I take a short shower, change into comfortable clothes and eat ramen noodles quickly as I want to get to know the village better and the surroundings. I take my digital camera with me and head out the door. It's late afternoon and the village is eerily quiet, even though there are villagers working in the fields. Anywhere I go, I notice strange-looking posters in every corner of the village. I look at the poster which has an eye surrounded with flames. On top of the eye it says with big letters: XIAN. I immediately recognize the word as it's in the Chinese folk religion which stands for an ''enlightened person''. It is known as ''Hwal Hyoen Gye Kuk'' in Hangul. It's a very complicated religion that even I can't understand. I discreetly snap a picture of it and move on.

''Hey you!'' someone calls out. I turn to the direction where the call came from and I see a young man almost in my age approaching me.

''Can I help you?'' I ask politely. The man has a well-built figure, high cheekbones and a strong jawline. Just like me. I get a strong feeling that I know him. How? I have no idea.

''I'm supposed to ask you that,'' he chuckles. He reaches his hand out and shakes my hand firmly.

''I'm Choi Seunghyun. Looks like you're a newcomer, am I right?'' he asks with a dark, fruity voice.

''Uh, yeah I just moved in. I'm Kim Hyunjoong,'' I say.

''How do you like the village so far?'' he asks kindly.

''Well, it's a quiet village. The villagers seem a bit... inhospitable though,'' I admit.

''Yeah, they tend to be like that to newcomers,'' he says. I nod slowly and I start thinking about the poster.

''Why are these posters hanging around everywhere?'' I ask.

''Ah, it's nothing to worry about,'' he assures. Silence.

''Have we... met before?'' I ask him questioningly, breaking the silence. I notice Seunghyun clench his jaw quickly.

''Don't think so, you don't look familiar,'' he says. He seems familiar to me though.

''By the way...'' he starts.

''Yeah?'' I ask.

''There's a rule here which everyone has to follow; no one can go outside after 10 p.m,'' he says.

''Why's that?'' I ask. He clears his throat;

''Wild animals tend to come here and they're quite harmful. There's been a lot of accidents which have caused deaths to some villagers,'' he says.

''I'll follow the rule,'' I say.

''Can I ask why you moved here? This village is not exactly popular,'' he says.

''I'm here on a job mission,'' I admit. He squints his eyes slightly.

''What kind of job mission?'' he asks earnestly.

''I'm here to film a documentary about folk religion,'' I say. Seunghyun gives me a serious look as he eyes my camera.

''The villagers won't like it, friend. They can be rather rude or irritated if they see you prying on their business,'' he warns.

''I'll be careful,'' I say lightheartedly.

''I better get going, it's almost 10 p.m. You should head back home as well. If you need help with something, I'm happy to volunteer. See you!'' he says and walks away. I nod and slowly walk back home.

***

KHJ's Video Entry:

''Entry 1.

I arrived at Jeungsan around 6 p.m. As soon as I got off, I got an uncomfortable vibe and the villagers were not welcoming at all. It's a very quiet village and the villagers seem calm if you don't disturb them. I've been warned to stay at home when the clock strikes 10 p.m. Apparently there are wild animals lurking around at night here. It's 11.30 p.m right now and no wild animals are seen from my window-

*Background screams*''

I turn my tape recorder off and hurry out. Someone must have been attacked. I rush out and follow the screams, only to be led by a big, locked gate. I can hear a young woman's screams behind the gate and a male voice. I'm surprised no villager has come out to help. I find a peephole and look through, which makes me gasp; A father is abusing his daughter and shouts verbal threats at her;

''You're just like your mom and sister! You never obey and show respect! Do you want me to send you off as well?!''

Another hit.

*The daughter yelps and cries* I can't do anything to help except witnessing the horrible situation. Should I call the police? I take my phone out and dial 112. I call as an anonymous person and explain the situation. Not wanting to interfere, I distance myself so I won't become noticeable. The screams fades after 5 minutes.

The police arrives 10 minutes later and bangs on the door. A man in his 40's opens the door. The police rushes in and looks through the house.

''Where's your daughter?'' one strong-built man asks in a hard voice.

''She's at the backyard doing laundry. What's going on, officer?'' the man asks calmly.

''Is everything alright?'' the daughter asks worriedly and approaches them while drying her hands with a towel. There's no sign of abuse on her. The officer and his men looks confusingly at them.

''We got a report that your daughter is being abused as screams were heard. Assuming now it's a false alarm since your daughter doesn't carry any bruises or bleeding,'' the officer verifies, ''Sorry for interrupting. Have a good night,'' the police say and leaves. The man and his daughter bow and walk inside their house. Before the man closes the gate, he looks out through the night to find the culprit who called the police. He won't notice me as I'm hiding and getting protected by darkness. After a moment of scrutinizing and mumbling, he locks the gate and I exhale from my held breath. As I turn, I notice a figure quickly passing by. I take a deep breath and hurry home.

Are there really wild animals here or is it a lie?

I decide to confront the daughter when her father is not around.

Next day:

 

I wake up at 9.00 a.m and do some intense morning exercise for a half hour. I take a relaxing shower, change clothes and eat breakfast. After that, I place a small microphone on my shirt collar so it won't be noticeable. Let's do this.

I lock the door behind me and walk casually to the man's house. Luckily, the gates are open and there's no sign of the man, but a sign of the daughter who's sitting on the porch. I approach her;

''Hi,'' I say kindly, she looks at me and stands up straight away. She has doll-looking moonstone eyes, light brown hair, rosy lips and clear, milky skin tone... which makes me realize that's she's very pretty.

''You're not supposed to be here!'' the girl warns.

''Sorry, I, uh, want to ask you a few questions. By the way I'm Kim Hyunjoong,'' I say and reach out to shake her hand. She hesitates but shakes my hand anyway.

''Kang Hyomi. You better hurry before my father comes,'' she says. I nod.

''I saw you getting abused by your father last night...'' I begin. Hyomi looks panicked.

''Ani, it wasn't like that...'' she murmurs. I frown and look questioning at her.

''Then?'' I urge. Hyomi sighs and admits;

''Okay fine. Yes, I got abused yesterday,'' she says.

''You don't have any bruises though,'' I say.

''I cover them with powder,'' she says. Clever.

''You were the one who called the police, right?'' she asks sternly. I slowly nod and look at the ground.

''Don't ever do that again,'' she pleads.

''Wae, and why did your father threaten you to get sent off?'' I ask.

''HYOMI!''

I see Hyomi's frightened look and I turn around seeing; her father and... Seunghyun?