Fly With Me

EXO One-Shots

Sehun cannot understand Luhan. It’s not that anything is complicated about them. In fact, it is as simple as can be. They’re friends. Can it get any simpler?

But that’s the problem. Is being friends what they both really want? Is it? Sehun is fine with it…Or so he thinks. But lately Luhan has been difficult.

---

“Do you want to watch Peter Pan with me, Sehunna? The third movie is coming up soon. Peter Pan is my favorite Disney movie, Sehunna,” Luhan bobs up and down excitedly, tugging on the younger but taller male’s uniform. Sehun looks around him nervously, in case people are staring at them. Sehun, unlike Luhan, has a bad boy reputation to maintain.

An image that has somehow taken a giant blow and is fast sinking ever since the arrival of Luhan.

Luhan the beautiful angel that has girls screaming for his name just by blinking a few times. Sehun thinks that it must be his perfect face. The way his every movement projects a certain frailty like that of a child. The way his face twists into a smile so readily; how he would light up and the world becomes beautiful just like that. Maybe its his nose; his dainty nose that Sehun envies so much, jutting out of his face with a smooth curve over the pointed tip of it. Sehun can’t explain how he knows all this, but sitting next to this pretty new student for weeks might have been why. Sehun would never admit to Luhan that he likes to steal forbidden, observing looks too.

Luhan didn’t only catch the girls’ attention. He certainly caught Sehun’s as well.

“Sehunna, please say yes? I haven’t been spending a lot of time with you lately. Are you avoiding me?” Luhan looks a little hurt and Sehun swallows bitterly.

The truth is…he has.  He has been trying to run away. Luhan makes him confused. He doesn’t understand what is going on. Sehun feels like the more he looks at Luhan, the more his insides ache. Why though? Why? Luhan brings out everything Sehun never felt before. He likes the way Luhan’s skin feels against his when they accidentally make skin contact. Its not like that is wrong at all, but Sehun can barely remember the last time a girl ever made him feel this way.

In fact, this might have been the first time anyone has ever made him feel that way.

Sehun clenches his fist. And this is why he shouldn’t be near Luhan anymore. Its dangerous. Luhan is wrong…

But Sehun wants all the wrong things with Luhan too. He can deny it all he wants in front of everyone, but Sehun can feel it in his head. Sadly, the conscientious part of him is about as weak as a dead twig.

“Hyung, why would I be avoiding you? Of course, I’ll watch,” Sehun nods weakly. He gives up. There is no turning away. He will just make sure no one will ever suspect him of having feelings for Luhan.

Luhan grins and Sehun’s heart almost stops. His insides are clawing and he feels an urge to smile back but he doesn’t. Luhan knows that Sehun is a cold boy. He doesn’t pay a lot of attention to anyone so Luhan is always content with Sehun’s half-hearted reactions. Luhan will be the life of the party between them.

“Great, see you tomorrow,” Luhan waves and throws a quick hug to Sehun, his arms draping around Sehun’s neck just for less than second. When he leaves, Sehun finds himself imagining the ghost of his crush’s gentle arms permanently wrapped around him, wondering what exactly would it feel like.

And that, he will never know, he thinks sadly.

---

Luhan tries. He tries very hard to tell Sehun he likes him…without words. Because Luhan is afraid of rejection. He is afraid of getting hurt.

Sehun hurts him a lot. Yet Luhan finds himself mending his own holes in his heart because Sehun doesn’t have time to do it for him. Luhan curses himself sometimes. Out of a million people on earth, why Oh Sehun? The boy who doesn’t give two cents about Luhan.

Its almost pathetic how Luhan still goes chasing after him like a lost puppy so desperate for love. Is it so wrong to want to be adored by Sehun? He’s much younger than Luhan, but he feels like a whole new world…like an elite level Luhan can never touch. He used to give Luhan cold, blank stares when they just met and its scary. As they warmed up, Luhan finds himself so gullibly taken by the boy’s charming smile and words. And Luhan swears he feels prickles of electricity on his skin whenever Sehun accidentally touch him.

If only those touches were intentional…

Luhan decides that he wasn’t going to let himself feel down because Sehun doesn’t show any reciprocation to his feelings. Because as far as Luhan knows, Sehun hasn’t kicked Luhan out of his life yet. He never rejects Luhan’s playful advances.

The chase is still on.

---

“I loved the movie! Did you?” Luhan exclaims once they are out of the cinema, earning funny stares from the children around them. Sehun thinks its weird enough that a couple of grown man (Sehun thinks of himself as a grown man, anyway) would go to line up for hours to get two tickets to the first showing of Peter Pan: The Lost Fairy movie. To get overworked is taking it to the next level.

But Sehun has to admit its Luhan’s little quirks that gets him every time. He slips right through the cracks that Luhan has unconsciously made in his life. Luhan looks adorable when he gets excited and laughs in a funny way, Sehun thinks. He likes the way Luhan sulks when Sehun doesn’t bat an eye to Luhan’s complaints about his homework. Sehun loves it when Luhan begs for a study session together because Luhan can’t seem to grasp the chemistry concepts in class as well as Sehun can. These study sessions always end up taking a whole night. Sehun would trudge home, mentally drained, but he would think of the way Luhan bites his lips while he racks his brain. Luhan always promises to buy him bubble tea the next day after their study session because Sehun would always have to patiently go over hours of lecture notes for Luhan. And Sehun is impatient…

But who can ever shout at Luhan? Sehun’s cold heart melts at the thought of him.

“I liked it,” Sehun replies breezily and he looks around them. The street is quickly becoming deserted. A few kids ran in their direction and a man goes after them. Luhan hums the song played at the ending credits of the movie, walking nonchalantly while swining his arms. Sehun sighs and pulls Luhan quickly to make way for the kids and the man that must be their father. Sehun might have pulled Luhan too suddenly or Luhan was just being an airhead as usual, but both boys almost stumbled down together when Luhan unexpectedly crashed into Sehun hard. Sehun gasps and his hands instantly wraps around Luhan’s body to stop him from falling over even more. Luhan’s fingers close around Sehun’s toned biceps to stop himself.

The kids and the man are far away. Their laughter is dying in the distance and all that is left is the sound of two boys’ hearts beating much too loudly. Sehun freezes out of shock, not expecting himself to react that way. They hugged a couple of times, but this…this is different. The way his hands flew to catch Luhan…to save him from falling. Its too…protective. Not in a friendly-way…

It feels more something a lover would do to save his maiden in distress, Sehun thinks.

Luhan slowly looks up to Sehun, their faces so close together that Luhan can see Sehun’s beautiful long eye lashes in detail. He opens his mouth to say something but Sehun pulls his head back and steadies Luhan, clearing his throat as he does so. Sehun has just made things ten times more awkward.

Luhan tries to stop stop hyperventilating inside. Its not like this is the first time they have been this close. But there was something in Sehun’s eyes just now…something Luhan hasn’t ever really seen before. It was a flash of worry, then it turned to cute kind of embarrassment like a young boy caught in the act of stealing…and just as quick as it appeared, it was gone…

Luhan pinches himself to stop imagining things. Sehun…the cold hearted prince of the school, his poker-faced best friend…Is he finally opening his heart up to Luhan?

“Why did you just pinch yourself, you idiot,” Sehun mumbles and stuffs his hands into his pocket, looking down and refusing to meet Luhan’s gaze.

“Nothing,” Luhan replies quietly. Something hurts inside. It’s a numb kind of pain, dull but unpleasant and heavy. Luhan decides to take his chance tonight.

“Sehunna…”

“Yeah?”

“How much do you love me?”

The question was so innocent, so pure and so twisted at the same time. Luhan was shocked by his own boldness but he can’t take it back. He watches Sehun intently as the boy’s face betrays its mask and a flicker of emotions flits past. Sehun’s eyes go wide and then he looks at Luhan with a smile on his face.

“I love you as much as Peter Pan loves Tinker Bell.”

Luhan’s world crumbles to dust. His head spins and his blood runs cold and foreign to his body. His face falls but he refuses to let Sehun see that. Afterall, he doesn’t want them to stop being friends…if being friends is what Sehun really wants.

Does Sehun know? Is this a genuine mistake on his part? Does Sehun mean it?

“That’s cool. Peter would never leave Tink, right? She’s…They’re best friends forever right?” Luhan can hear the hollow echo in his voice that is cracking already. He wonders if Sehun can hear it too.

Sehun stops walking and Luhan’s heart drops a beat. Is this…

“Sure, they’re best friends. Peter Pan and Tinkerbell forever,” Sehun smiles and Luhan can’t help but pulls up the last piece of his sanity to smile back.

“Let’s walk faster, hyung. I’m tired,” Sehun says and he tries to take Luhan’s hand to pull him forward. To his surprise, Luhan takes his hand away, out of Sehun’s reach, and he puts it into his pocket with unnecessary force. Sehun is a little stunned at the sudden…hostility. He takes his cold fingers away from Luhan and walks quietly next to him, wondering what is wrong with Luhan.

He doesn’t see the trail of a single teardrop rolling down Luhan’s cheek. He doesn’t see the quivering lips that wants to cry but can’t. He doesn’t hear the sound of his heart screaming as hopes and dreams of being lovers are torn apart and stepped on and burned.

Best friends…That’s all Sehun thinks of him. And there is nothing Luhan can do to change that if his Sehunna thinks of them that way…

“Are you okay, hyung? Did I say something?” Sehun’s eyebrows knit with worry. Sehun has moments when he is more…human. When he is more sensitive towards others. Lately he has had more of these moments that he would call normal. He thinks its because of Luhan. Sehun can’t help but care for him.

Luhan nods wordlessly and vigorously. They stop in front of the younger boy’s house, dark and tall as it looms over them.

“Goodnight, hyung. Sleep tight. Sweet dreams,” Sehun recites, hoping to hear something from the frozen statue that stands in front of him, looking grim and gaunt.

“Goodnight, Sehun,” Luhan replies and manages half a smile, because he figures Sehun wouldn’t sleep well if he leaves him feeling too disturbed about this whole incident. They exchange waves and Sehun walks into his house, scratching his head and sighing.

Should he have said something else instead? They are best friends aren’t they?

But then even as Sehun thinks about the two words, his heart tightens uncomfortably and he groans.

They are clearly not just best friends. Sehun likes Luhan…There is no point denying that anymore. He might as well have told Luhan, since it was obvious Luhan was expecting something else. Sehun feels like punching a wall. He has just stabbed a hole through Luhan’s heart, didn’t he?

And to think…Luhan is the last person on Earth and heaven that Sehun would want to hurt.

---

“Luhan…Luhan, hyung, talk to me, please,” Sehun begs Luhan as a familiar figure ignores him and walks away faster. Sehun loses it and grabs onto Luhan’s shoulder. Luhan makes a surprised noise but Sehun pushes him against the locker, ignoring everyone’s scared look as he pins Luhan up against the cold metal.

“What do you want, Sehun? People are staring,” Luhan mumbles as his bloodshot eyes flicker to the sides.

“I need to talk to you,” Sehun says in a commanding voice, different than his tone just a few minutes ago. Luhan doesn’t see the intensity in Sehun’s eyes…the fire dancing with ferocious souls in the pits of dark brown pupils.

“Can we do this somewhere else? Its so…public,” Luhan whines and Sehun sighs. He lets his arms down and the other students started talking in hushed voices. “That’s Sehun…and Luhan…”

“Aren’t they best-…”

“What is-…”

Sehun drags Luhan away from the scene and Luhan’s limp body lurches forward before he tries to keep up with Sehun. They turn a corner into an empty classroom and Sehun opens the door, gesturing for Luhan to get inside, which he does obediently.

“Sehun, what do you want? I’m not feeling too well,” Luhan says, sounding a little irritated, quite unlike his bubbly self that Sehun is so used to. He is a little taken aback but Sehun has made up his mind. This has to end. Sehun is sure of himself now. He will do what’s right.

He takes big, valiant steps to Luhan and looks down a little since the poor boy is shorter than him.

“Luhan…I…”Sehun seems to have lost his voice. He doesn’t know where all his guts went. He feels nervousness and doubt creeping in. He begins to second doubt his grand plan…

What if everything he thought about last night…is false? What if he is just imagining Luhan’s reaction? That this is nothing but his mind playing tricks on him because he is too infatuated? Too drunk by love?

“Sehun? Are you okay?” Luhan’s sweet, attentive voice pulls Sehun back to the situtation and he looks dead center to Luhan’s eyes. So beautiful….

“Hyung, I was stupid.”

“What?”

“Ask me how much I love you.”

“What?”

“Just ask me, hyung,” Sehun almost cries and his voice rings with urgency that surprises Luhan.

“Okay…Sehunna, how much do you love me?”

“I love you, hyung, as much as Peter Pan would love Wendy. I love you as much as he doesn’t want to leave her in the human world. I love you as much as he wants to take her to fly with him, holding her hands. I love you as much as he wants to take her to Neverland to stay young and together. I love you as much as he wants her next to him forever. Luhan-hyung, that’s how much I love you.” Sehun hands are clasping on Luhan’s hands tightly and hopefully. His eyes have never been filled with so much emotions. He has never felt so vulnerable and useless. He has never been this weak. But he has never been in love too…

Luhan is struck speechless. Water brims his eyes, threatening to spill. Sehun looks at him in horror.

“Hyung, I’m so sorry, I just- I don’t know what came over me, I’m sorry, I will go away, I will leave-”

“Sehunna, no,” Luhan interrupts the flustered Sehun and half laughs, half cries as he encloses the skinny boy in a warm, loving embrace. Sehun laughs too and Luhan smiles at the sound because there is nothing else in the world he loves to hear other than Sehun’s lively laugh.

“Sehunna, let’s fly to Neverland together,” Luhan croons, his voice muffled by Sehun’s uniform as he hangs on for dear life. Luhan giggles a little and Sehun grins. He inhales deeply, the sweet addictive scent of Luhan. He is free from the reigns that had been holding him back from doing this. Now every touch, every word, every glance…will be more precious.

“Sure, hyung. Where is Tinkerbell? We need her to fly don’t we?” Sehun chuckles and squeezes Luhan with his strong arms. Someone shouts outside the class and through the clear window, Sehun can see one of his football teammate Jongin, his hair decorated with distinct corn rows and his muscles showing nicely through the thin football uniform. Sehun couldn’t help but picture the running Jongin in a short, skimpy and sparkling green dress with green shoes and giant cotton fluff stuck in the center of it.

Jongin the Fairy. Jongin Tinker Bell.

Sehun laughs to himself and Luhan lets go, jumping at the sudden reaction. Sehun scractches the back of his head shyly.

“That didn’t happen,” he mutters.

“What just happened?”

“I did not imagine Jongin as Tinker Bell…complete with the outfit,” Sehun says quickly and Luhan breaks into fits of laughter, his face instantly lighting up like a thousand watts bulb.

“Stop it,” Sehun whines and Luhan ceases laughing.

“Oh Sehun, you are one of a kind. Too cute,” Luhan cooes and wraps his hands around Sehun’s neck. Sehun grins and on impulse, plants a quick kiss on Luhan’s forehead, his red hair brushing over Sehun’s face. It tickles.

Luhan looks at Sehun in a new light, it seems. He lets loose the barrier that has been holding him up. He gushes sweet, glorious, loving aura to the boy before him, standing tall, happy and blonde as a Barbie doll.

“Sehunna, I would love to fly to Neverland with you. I want to stay young forever,” Luhan says and buries his face in Sehun’s chest again.

“You already look young, hyung,” Sehun grumbles.

“Babe…You call me babe, got that?”

“Yes, babe,” Sehun does a mini salute and Luhan pokes his side. Sehun pouts and starts messing up Luhan’s hair.

Sehun realizes has never felt this way before. He thinks its just Luhan working his magic on him. Luhan, the boy who still believes in Peter Pan and Neverland…

And in Peter’s love for Wendy.

Sehun is starting to believe in it himself. 

 


 

A/N: This is my first...er.....ever. Dedicated to Mrs. Zhang Shelly who ships HunHan like its not even funny. What do you guys think? <3