Through My Window;

Through My Window;

 

"Chanyeol! Park freaking Chanyeol!"

 

Chanyeol jumps on his bed with his headphones on, jamming to some music.

 

"Earth to Chanyeol!" I shout and frantically knock on the glass pane.

 

He finally responds and removes his headphones so he can hear me. He opens the window and his usual smile creeps onto his face.

 

"Hey! You're early today. What's up?"

 

"Mum bought pizza, had leftovers, so I thought you might want some." I grin as he beams at the sight of it.

 

"Thanks." He doesn't hesitate to grab the plate from my hands. "So what are you up to today? Mixing beats? Because if that's what you're doing, make sure I'm the first to hear it."

 

"You're always the first, Chanyeol. No one really appreciates them, actually."

 

"What a pity. You have talent!"

 

"So do you, in terms of rapping. Right, so how did the audition go? You have to mention every detail, alright." I prop myself against the window sill, leaning out to hear his story.

 

He smiles with his teeth showing, as if he's the happiest person in the world at that moment, and he rants on and on, with me laughing at how he imitates the judges' reactions.

 

---

 

Chanyeol's a very happy person. You can describe him as a ball of sunshine, because really you can't help but smile when you see him smile. It's as if nothing makes him unhappy, really. But that is what other's think about him, and that's what people think of me as well. But both Chanyeol and I know, that behind our happy facade, behind our strong exterior, we too, crumble a little inside.

 

He's the only person who's seen me cry. Mainly because well, my room window is facing his room window. I never meant for him to see me drowning in my own tears, but I was tearing up so much and he started sticking notes on my window to cheer me up. That's how we became friends. I've seen him ball himself up and lean against the window once, feeling unhappy because of an argument with his close friend at school. He told me that he tried to hide his sadness at school, but immediately broke into tears once he shut his room door.

 

Others might have seen the happy side of us, but only the two of us, have seen each other tumbling down, and we're always there for each other, to get us back up.

 

---

 

I peek out my window, squinting to see if Chanyeol was in his room. The room was pitch black, so I guessed he was either not around or maybe he was having a nap. I doubt the latter because he's always so ecstatic he never really gets exhausted. There are times when he feels tired of smiling, but he says that's how we move on. How we see tomorrow as a better day. How to achieve true happiness. I completely agree.

 

I stick a note with a sad face on his window, in hopes that by the time I get back from extra class there willl be a note on my window instead.

 

---

 

Chanyeol doesn't reply and I can't help feeling a little empty.

 

---

 

After five days, there's been lots of sticky notes of various colours on his window pane, but there was nothing on mine. Chanyeol has been gone for days, and he didn't even tell me where he went. We don't have each other's contact numbers since we just live beside each other (mostly just talking through the window). Mum doesn't really talk with Chanyeol's mother either, I doubt they know we're friends. Which explains why mum got angry at me for sneaking food into my room and  then finishing everything off. "You eat like a monster," she says, and I tell that to Chanyeol, who guffaws.

 

---

 

The eighth day, and still no sign of Park Chanyeol. I was starting to get angry really (I try to hide it), so I decided to make my way to his front door to ask his mum where he went. It'd be awfully weird though, seeing the fact that she doesn't even know me despite being neighbours for seven years.

 

I head downstairs and hear mum chattering away outside. She's talking to a neighbour? Wow, that's surprising.

 

"Mum, who are you talking to?"

 

"Oh, the new neighbour. She's my primary school classmate!" She smiles, and I smile as well, although not really interested.

 

Then it hits me.

 

My house is at the corner of this street, so there's technically only one neighbour that we can talk to by just standing in the house compound, and that would be Chanyeol's family. What does she mean new neighbour, she can't possibly just found out about the existence of Chanyeol?

 

I run back up to my room only to see that there was a new kid in Chanyeol's room, and when he the lights, I realized that all of Chanyeol's things - his posters, stack of books on the table, guitar, practically almost everything, was out of sight.

 

Chanyeol had left, and he didn't say anything about it. Shocked at the fact that now Chanyeol won't be the person I'll see when I look out my window, for the first time in seven years, I pull down the blinds and silently cry to myself. Now there's no one left I can pour out my sorrow to.

 

---

 

The next morning, I slowly pull up the blinds, and notice that my sticky notes were all gone. They might as well be gone along with Chanyeol. But to my surprise I found two notes on my window, one that I recognized as Chanyeol's writing, the other one with squiggly writing - unknown.

 

"Hey, I think he missed out a note for you. Found it on the floor this morning."

 

He must have guessed that that was how Chanyeol and I communicated. Right next to it was Chanyeol's crumpled note.

 

"Moving house tomorrow. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, I didn't know how to tell you because I might just bawl out in front of you and it'll be so embarrassing. I'm glad that we've been close friends for these seven long years, and well, both of us know who we truly are, so even though we might be apart, I hope you won't forget our friendship. Ps. I've got accepted by the company, so do anticipate my debut!" Yeol.

 

I hold in my tears and scribble back a note to the new neighbour.

 

"Thanks."

 

---

 

My blinds are usually down because when I open them I feel as if I might be invading his privacy, and somehow I don't feel secure anymore. It's not tower 'Chanyeol' over there anymore. I learn that his name in Sehun, (thanks to my mum's loud conversations) and he's the same age as me. Chanyeol was two years older, but it still felt like he was my age. On the other hand, Sehun was a very reserved person (thanks again to mum's conversations) and he didn't talk much, a complete opposite of Chanyeol. According to mum, he's really mature for his age, and he used to be one of the top students in his previous school.

 

So I have acquired information of my new neighbour just like that.

 

---

 

"Have you tried talking to Sehun yet? I mean, well he's your age, and since he's smart, perhaps you can get him to tutor you."

 

"No thanks."

 

"Anyway, he goes to the same school as you, so you can carpool starting this week."

 

"I'll just cycle like how I used to."

 

"It's dangerous."

 

Perhaps more dangerous if I were to sit in his car.

 

It was when I wanted to get a bit of sunshine, so I pulled up my blinds, just a little. By coincidence, he was practicing some fancy dance moves, and I could hear the music he was dancing to, although almost inaudible. I just got so fascinated I forgotten what I was about to do, and I just sat there watching him dance through the blinds like a creep.

 

And apparently, he saw me, and his face turned from seriousness and freedom to a mixture of anger, shock and maybe along with a tinge of pink on his cheeks. He pulled down his blinds instead, and I never opened the blinds ever again.

 

---

 

"No, no, no, no, no. I'd rather die." I complain to Luhan, the exchange student from China who sits beside me in class.

 

"Why won't you carpool? Your bicycle is a wreck, seriously. Besides, he's good-looking, smart, seems quite rich, and most of all, he smells good."

 

"Oh my goodness, Luhan! Why of all things and of all people?"

 

"Hey, he's using good cologne. I shall make myself a mental note to ask him where he bought it."

 

I face palm, and once again I think of Chanyeol, because he's really the only person who would hear me out.

 

---

 

It seemed like a good timing for my bicycle to break into pieces when Sehun's mother asked if I wanted to carpool (for the sixth time in two weeks even after I declined each time). I told her I could walk, there was no need to trouble her, but it was as if she was trying to make me become friends with Sehun, and ultimately I lost, and I ended up sitting next to Sehun in the car.

 

There was a gap between us, and I appreciated it. Mrs Oh tried to make conversations between us, but Sehun just stared out of the window, mind occupied on something else. I didn't mind.

 

---

 

"So you finally carpooled?" Luhan asks tons of questions immediately after I nod.

 

Sehun who sits four rows behind me glares at me (or maybe that's just how he normally looks at people and I'm overreacting) when I smack Luhan so he can shut up. Eunji who sits in front of me turns around and congratulates me for managing to shut Luhan up in her Busan accent.

 

Luhan obviously doesn't get it, and stares at her with a bewildered expression.

 

---

 

Sehun doesn't wait for me when class ends, and I end up searching the whole school for him. Thanks to the school council president - Kris, I manage to find him under a tree alone.

 

I put on my facade once again, and there is no sign of rage on my face anymore. I approach Sehun and asks if I can take the seat beside him. He doesn't say anything and merely nods

 

"Where have you been?" He mumbles in monotone after a moment of silence, and I notice that he has a lisp.

 

"Looking for you, actually. You didn't even tell me where to wait after school is dismissed. For all I know you might have left me at school."

 

"Don't you have friends?" His reply was somewhat harsh.

 

"What do you mean- oh. Do you have friends?" I ask back when I realize although he is popular at school, and sometimes there are people talking to him, there's never anyone who walks with him all the time, he doesn't eat in the cafeteria, and before this, he was waiting alone. He was lonely.

 

"Don't think so." He mumbles, expression not changing one bit.

 

"Well... I guess we can be friends. And maybe you can be friends with Luhan as well, that Chinese boy who sits next to me."

 

"Mm." He stands up, and walks away abruptly.

 

"Hey, wait, where are you going?"

 

He turns back to look at me, then he points to a car which I recognized as the car I sat in this morning, and for the first time, I thought I saw his lip twitch a smile.

 

---

 

I jolt up from my seat and drop my pen when I hear someone knocking on my window. As if it wasn't bad enough, I knocked my head on the table when I bent down to pick up my pen, causing my uncapped bottle of water to spill all over me and the two page essay I was working on.

 

"DAMN YOU OH SEHUN!" I bellow, and the knocking stops.

 

I pull up the blinds only to see Sehun staring at the disaster that I'm in, slowly retreating when he realizes that I'm really pissed.

 

"Is this a bad time?" He half-whimpers. "Mind explaining what I accidentally caused to happen?"

 

I sigh, and he throws a towel over for me to dry my hair.

 

"I say this is all your fault, but perhaps you might think that I'm just really clumsy. You gave me quite a shock so I kinda jumped and I dropped my pen, and when I bent down to pick it up, I knocked my head on the table, and my plastic bottle just had to fall when it was uncapped and now my floor is all wet, and my essay is ruined. Two pages, Sehun!"

 

He stares at me for a while, and finally replies me the most unexpected answer.

 

"I'll rewrite the essay for you. It's due tomorrow, right?"

 

---

 

My blinds are once again pulled up, and I see Sehun every single day like it's a necessary thing to do. Once in a while I can see him practicing a new dance, and I'd make stupid faces to distract him. It usually ends up with me being drenched in water.

 

Lately, the songs Sehun dances to are my mixed beats, and he enjoys listening to them. He has friends, his closest friend being Luhan, and several others like Baekhyun and Jongin. He smiles more often, and he actually laughs once in a while, a rare thing to see in the first few weeks since I met him. We talk about all sorts of things, and mum would let me sneak him some homemade cookies when she knows that I talk to him through the window.

 

One day, he sticks a note on the window. It states that he's gone to participate in a dancing competition, and if he wins, he might be enrolled to enter a dance school. It reminded me of Chanyeol, and tears spring back to my eyes, wondering if Sehun would leave just like how Chanyeol did. Then, I'd probably have a new neighbour, and I don't even know if we'll get along. I guess I was lucky with Chanyeol, since we had the same kind of lifestyle, and in Sehun's case, it was because we were classmates and our mothers were childhood friends. I don't know how it'd be like if Sehun left.

 

---

 

He didn't win first place in the competition, losing to a Chinese called Zhang Yixing, but he still managed to go to dance school because the judges acknowledged his talents. He apologized for not being able to be neighbours with me for a longer time, and that he was glad that I helped him made friends and feel less lonely, and thanked me for being there to encourage him when he was down. I held back my tears (I don't cry in front of Sehun, unlike Chanyeol) and I wished him all the best. The last thing we had was a goodbye hug, but at least, he left his contact number.

 

"Anticipate my debut!"

 

---

 

It took longer for the next neighbour to come along. The house was empty for a month before a family of four moved in. I leave my window open, having no intention to pull down my blinds anymore.

 

"Hello. I didn't know our windows were facing each other."

 

I looked out my window and saw someone with good-looking facial features checking out his room.

 

"Hi, nice to have you as my new neighbour. The others came and gone, so I do hope you won't be going anywhere. I don't suppose you have plans on going to any audition or some competition?"

 

"Nah, I'm just going to laze around in this new town. Had too much going on in my previous city. The name's Kim Myungsoo by the way. Just a heads up, I don't usually talk a lot, but I'm excited to move in to this new house so I'm currently very happy, so if I don't talk to you the next day I hope you don't feel surprised."

 

"Oh, it's okay. We'll get along soon, just like how it was with the previous owners of this particular room you're in. I sincerely hope you don't leave in a week."

 

"I don't think I want to leave that soon either, but it's nice to meet you. I'll just get back to doing my thing, goodbye."

 

I guess I'll experience many things through this particular window. Although I don't want the memories I had to go, I still anticipate whatever is coming next. For now, to become buddies with Myungsoo.

 

A/N: So this was just a random thought/inspiration I had that day, and I wrote this till midnight, so forgive me if there are several grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, and I'm really sorry if everything seemed too rushed and how it isn't detailed like how some of my other stories are. But hey, it's a one-shot. Kbai, thanks for reading! Do leave some comments :3