While the Cameras Roll

While The Cameras Roll

“I know it’s hard, but hey, we wouldn’t have a job if it wasn’t.” Masaki pushed his glasses up and smirked toward him, waiting for a hint of amusement to lighten the mood. Manato simply continued to frown down at his coffee. It was black, much like his current outlook on life.

The older man sighed heavily. “I just made an joke and you didn’t even smile. Guess it’s a good thing I didn’t pursue a career in comedy.”

Manato swirled a spoon around his hot drink carelessly. Some of the searing liquid splashed out of the Styrofoam cup and landed on his hand, instantly stinging.

“Manato-kun,” Masaki began as he dipped his napkin in the ice water the waiter had left and then applied the cool paper to the aching flesh, “in all seriousness, you’ve got to stop thinking about it. You knew what you were agreeing to when you signed up for this job. The things we do seem very personal at the time we do them, but they’re not. It’s just work. You’ve got to remember that or you’re going to keep getting hurt.”

Ironically, being told straight out that it was hopeless and everything they did in their occupation was a lie stung almost as badly as his unrequited love. Only almost though.

He tried to hide his gloominess in the hopes that the older man would stop gazing at him so intently as if waiting for him to burst into tears. For the first time since he’d arrived at the small café, Manato smiled. Masaki was correct. As much as Manato didn’t want to hear it, there was no way to deny the truth. He shouldn’t have burdened his friend with this in the first place.

“Of course, you’re right, Masaki-san. I was confused but it won’t happen again.”

The older man didn’t look convinced. Mercifully, before he could comment the bell above the door jingled signaling someone’s entrance, and the very person they’d been talking about entered the café. The cold wind from outside had blown his dark hair into disarray, leaving it messy and curled slightly at the ends. His cheeks and nose were bright pink from the icy winter temperatures biting at his face. Manato felt his heart lurch as he took in the sight of the deep purple scarf wrapped snuggly around the man’s neck.

Their eyes met and Haruma smiled before making his way over to their table. “Mind if I sit?”

Manato ignored Masaki’s worried look and nodded. The dark haired boy sat in the chair opposite him. At first, Manato was upset by this, but then he realized that their knees bumped under the table and he felt his stomach twist happily. Haruma removed his gloves and slowly unwound his scarf, folding it carefully and placing it on the table in front of him where he ran his hand over the soft material fondly.

“This was a very thoughtful gift, Manato-kun. Much more practical than the Christmas present I gave you.”

Manato blushed and looked away. “No, no! The candle smells very nice. Thank you again for it. You didn’t have to get me anything.”

Haruma laughed. “Yes, I did. Gifts were mandatory for the company party. You’re so funny, Manato-kun.”

He tried to smile quickly so that his disappointment wouldn’t be obvious. He’d thought the dark haired boy had given him a present to show that he cared, that he was someone that meant something to him outside of work. That’d been the reasoning behind the scarf he’d carefully picked out, wrapped and shyly handed to this oblivious boy across from him. Manato was extremely unhappy to find out the same hadn’t been true for Haruma.

“What are you doing today?” Masaki intervened when Manato uttered a weak chuckle.

“I’m meeting my girlfriend to go ice skating.”

The fondness in his tone made Manato want to throw the table against the wall because of the injustice. Why couldn’t Haruma sound like that when talking to him?

“She’s supposed to be here soon. Would you like to meet her? I can ask her if she has any single girl friends for you, Manato-kun.” Haruma winked and nudged his knee under the table.

Closing his eyes to block out the tingling on his leg where he’d been touched by this beautiful, soft spoken, stupid boy, Manato paled. He had absolutely no desire to see the person that owned Haruma’s affection. He didn’t really have a desire to see any girl, period. Yeah, he could get it up for them when he had to and had dated them before, but he’d come to realize that he definitely preferred guys. Specifically, this guy.

“Thank you, but I’m meeting Kento-kun in awhile.”

It wasn’t entirely a lie. Kento had asked if they could discuss switching positions before their next filming—he wanted advice on topping. They just hadn’t agreed on an exact date or time. Luckily, Haruma didn’t know that.

The dark haired boy’s face fell. His shoulders slumped and his bottom lip poked out in a cute pout. “I didn’t know you and Kento-kun spent time together.”

Masaki snorted. “You sound like a child. I’ll meet your girlfriend if you’re so interested in showing her off.”

“No, that’s okay.” Haruma shook his head and pulled his cellphone from his pocket. “Manato-kun, would it be alright if I go with you to meet Kento-kun?”

Manato blinked in confusion, turning his head to the side like a puppy to give Haruma a questioning look.

“Don’t you have plans?”

“It’s too cold out to go ice skating. I’ll tell her I’ll see her tomorrow,” said the dark haired boy matter-of-factly, already texting away on his phone before Manato had even consented to the change in plans.

Manato cringed, mentally cursing himself for lying.

He jumped in surprise when his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and read the message with wide eyes.

From: Masaki-san

Tell him this message was from Kento and something came up so you can’t meet.

Manato sent Masaki a grateful look. The older man rolled his eyes and nodded toward Haruma who was still absorbed in his own phone.

Manato cleared his throat to get his attention. His breath caught for a moment as Haruma’s dark eyes met his own. “Uh, Kento-kun texted me and cancelled our plans, so there’s no need for you to not see your girlfriend.”

“I don’t feel like seeing her today, anymore. Instead, I think we should do something fun together.” He winked toward Manato, and Manato couldn’t help but to laugh nervously. The dark haired boy slid his gloves back on and stood. He held the scarf out to Manato and smiled irresistibly. “Will you put that on for me? I never seem to do it right.”

Manato swallowed thickly and tried to calm his racing heart. From the corner of his eye, he could see Masaki frowning at them. Ignoring the older man’s disapproving stare, he stepped forward and slowly draped the scarf around Haruma’s neck. The dark purple color contrasted with his pale skin, making it seem even more perfect and smooth, and it brought out the blackness of his soft hair and dark eyes.

His hand lingered for a moment on Haruma’s chest where he’d adjusted how the ends of the cloth fell. Underneath his palms, he could feel warmth and the steady rhythm of the other boy’s heart. They were so close, so painfully close, and Manato wanted to lean forward and fit his lips where he was only allowed while the cameras rolled.

Haruma’s hand touched his own, bringing him out of his trance. Too late, he realized that he’d been staring at the dark haired boy’s mouth. His ears burned in embarrassment, but Haruma caught his gaze before he could duck his head.

“We should go.”

Manato could only nod hopelessly in response, not caring in the least where they were heading or what they were going to do as long as he got to be near Haruma for a few more minutes.

*****

A/N: This didn't turn out like I'd planned. If anyone is interested, I'll make this a chaptered fic, otherwise, I'll probably leave it as it.