A Goddess in Green

Window Pain

 

 

Chapter 2:

 

 

What color pink would you say this is?”

 

I dont know... light pink?” Jessica sighed sarcastically at her best friends predictability.

 

Tiffany pulled that tube of lipstick out five minutes ago and just stared at it, as she did whenever she got a new beauty product. It was always the same, she'd ask Jessica what shade of pink she thought it was and when she answered incorrectly, would correct her by saying it resembled a shade she already had but was distinctly different and never failed to tell her why. Jessica didnt understand her friends obsession with the color. She liked pink just fine but couldnt tell Tickle me Pink from Funky Fuchsia. Tiffany however, could see two seemingly identical pinks and swear one was Salmon and the other, Jumping-River-Fish. Every single product she bought had its name clearly printed on the side. This one was called Twinkle yet Tiffany insisted that it looked like Pearly Pink.

 

It really makes my eyes pop doesnt it?” She gloated as she drew the tube over her lips. Tiffany had gorgeous eyes; she knew it, Jessica knew it, everyone knew it. If Sica was the Ice Princess then Fany was the Eye-Smile Queen.

 

Your eyes always pop, my Queen” Taeyeon said with a fake bow. The two made eyes across the lunch table in a way that, if seen by a teacher, wouldve gotten them both suspended for ual conduct.

 

Keep it in the bedroom you two.

 

And as if hearing Jessica's thoughts, a french fry flew across the table and hit Taeyeon right in the face.

 

Save it for the honeymoon ByunTae!” Kwon Yuri laughed and high-fived her partner-in-crime, Im Yoona, on a perfect shot.

 

Why do I hang out with these losers.

 

Jessica wore a half amused smile as she brought a hand up to rest on her face. She was exhausted. The events of the night before still weighed on her body and she was beginning to regret the long nap she had taken, thinking maybe her mother was right this time. In her groggy state of mind she had almost completely forgotten that it was actually the girl next door who had kept her awake.

 

--Ok?” She looked up to find Sunny looking at her with concerned eyes.

 

What?” She responded, noticing that she had dozed off for about five minutes.

 

I was just asking if youre ok, you seem a little out of it today.” Sunny placed a small hand on Jessica's back.

 

Oh, yea. I'm fine, just tired is all--”

 

What else is new” Everyone said in unison. Sunny shot them a look and turned back to Jessica for her to continue.

 

I didnt get much sleep last night...” She finished.

 

At this, the whole table stopped and turned to stare at the brown haired girl, mouths gaping.

 

You didnt get much sleep last night?”

 

Did someone tape your eyes open?”

 

Isnt that one of the seven signs of the apocalypse?”

 

The whole table was taken aback, trying to think of the last time Jessica Jung ever had trouble sleeping. Yuri seemed to have recalled one instance back in grade school when Yoona chased her around with a cucumber threatening to put it in when she fell asleep, but that was the only thing they could think of.

 

Seriously guys, its not that big a deal,” Sica defended “I just had a long night. I plan on going to sleep as soon as I get home.”

 

You better,” Taeng said “or else the balance of the universe will be displaced and life as we know it will crumble into nothing!” She threw her hands up and her head back, over acting the alleged fall of mankind.

 

She's such a dork.

 

After a few laughs and another french fry to the face, the conversation had shifted from Jessica's sleeping habits to the party that had taken place the night before. Apparently Yuri won twister three times, Sunny showed up wearing a ty Santa costume, and a freshman named Kyungsoo got drunk and started singing carols to everyone.

 

She wasnt gunna lie, it sounded pretty fun. She almost regretted not going, it wouldve saved her a lot of frustration and conflicting homoual thoughts.

 

On second thought, she was better off at home.

 

So you guys know that girl Seohyun?” Yoona started.

 

Jessica's ears perked up at that, Seohyun was one of her sisters best friends. Even though she was a senior, she mostly preferred the company of underclassmen because of her child-like nature. She never exactly fit in with her class, she was the youngest senior because she was graduating early. Everyone called her 'Innocent' and said she came off as snobby because of her polite way of speaking. Little did they know that was just Seohyun, she was always very respectful and that was one thing Jessica found both adorable and annoying about her.

 

Last night at the party she said an old friend of hers was gunna be transferring here next semester.”

 

A transfer student?

 

Jessica's heart skipped a beat, maybe two.

 

Really? I didnt see Seo at the party, who did she come with?”

 

Krystal dragged her, but she left after we broke out the booze”

 

Leave it to the Makne to run from a good time” They all laughed at that, Taeyeon doubling over like it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard.

 

Jessica was still trying to catch her breath.

 

Did she say a transfer student? As in, a new person entering our school? Possibly in our grade? Could it be...?

 

I forgot what she said her name was, but apparently she's a really great dancer. Better watch your back Yul,” Yoona said pointing a fork at the black haired girl “she might just take your title.”

 

Yuri, who had a mouth full of pasta, waved her hand in the air as if to say 'I'm not worried' and continued to eat.

 

Yuri was widely recognized as the best dancer in the district. Every so often a rich alumni by the name of Park Hyojin would throw a big party at her mansion, and the main event of the night was always a massive dance off. Yuri had been the reigning champ the last 2 years when she stole the crown from a senior named Son GaIn. Since then no one has even come close to beating her, though many have tried.

 

I doubt she's that good. I mean Yul is kind of a god when it comes to dancing.” Tiffany exaggerated, earning a defensive glare from Taeyeon.

 

If it really is the girl next door, Jessica thought, that would explain the muscle tone.

 

Jessica quickly stopped herself from recalling the scene she'd witnessed yesterday. The last thing she needed was to get all hot and bothered at the lunch table, but she couldnt stop a small blush from spreading across her cheeks at the mere reminder.

 

Look! Sica likes Yuri's dancing too!” Taeyeon exclaimed. All eyes were suddenly on Jessica, which only proved to deepen her blush. She waved her hands in defense, but the redness of her face made any effort for retaliation very unconvincing.

 

Goddamn you Kim Taeyeon

 

Jessica rose from her seat, now embarrassed by something what wasnt exactly true, and threw out her untouched lunch tray.

 

This was already proving to be a rough day and it wasnt even noon. After careful deliberation, she decided to skip the rest of the day and make up for the sleep she'd lost. Not having a car or license, she called her mom and told her she was sick- not exactly a lie- and she said she was on her way.

 

You know, Yuri could just bring you home?” Tiffany said with a wiggle in her brow, mocking the awkward situation at hand. Yuri didnt agree nor decline, she kept her gaze steady on the table and started twirling her hair between her fingers.

 

Hey, would you stop? Sica's obviously not feeling well” Sunny spoke up turning to face her seemingly 'ill' friend. “Feel better ok? Get lots of sleep and drink lots of fluids” She said with her signature aegyo, which they all found absolutely insufferable.

 

I will, thanks.” she replied with a forced smile.

 

By the time her mom arrived Sica was already waiting outside, watching the snow fall over the parking lot, painting the cars a new shade of white. She didnt want to go home but she didnt want to stay at school either.

 

Maybe i'll walk one of these days.

 

She entered her moms car and was greeted by a warm blast of air directly on her near frozen face.

 

Then again, maybe not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first thing she noticed when she walked upstairs was the loud, muffled sounds of Rhianna's Umbrella permeating the walls. Creeping down the hallway, Jessica knew she would have a hard time falling asleep with the R&B artist singing in her ear so she went to the only logical place it could be coming from.

 

As she walked into Krystal's room, she jumped at the sight of her little sister playing Donkey Kong on her bed.

 

Jesus Christ, you scared me!?” Jessica screamed, throwing the nearest object she could reach-which happened to be a hairbrush- at her sibling. “Why are you even home? Shouldnt you be at school?” she asked.

 

Shouldnt you? I came home like two hours ago.” she said matter-of-factly.

 

Turns out I passed out last night at Sooyoung's and Sulli called mom and told her I was staying over her place. Aint she the sweetest?” Soojung asked with a smile on her face, never peeling her eyes away from the TV screen. “Anyway, when the school called to tell her I wasnt there, mom called me and I told her that in the midst of our studying, Ssul and I forgot to set our alarms. She totally fell for it.” She added with an innocent tone of voice. “Why are you home so early?”

 

I just... needed sleep.” Jessica answered, a little shorter and less exciting than her sister.

 

You look pale, are you sick? Is that why you didnt come to the party?” Krystal asked.

 

When did she look at me?

 

Uhh... yea. I haven't been feeling well.” The older of the two explained. Again, not exactly lying.

 

In her surprise, Sica had almost completely forgotten what she came in there for. It wasnt until she noticed how quiet it was, save the soft sounds of Donkey Kong, that she realized Krystal wasnt the source of the loud music.

 

What do you want anyway?” Her sister asked, eyes still on the pixelated gorilla, “You rushed in here like you were on a mission or something.”

 

I.. thought you left your stereo on again...” Her voice trailed off.

 

Oh yea, the music right? The new neighbor's been bumpin' all morning. Her playlist isnt bad though, mostly 2000's hip hop songs.” Krystal bobbed her head to the music.

 

Jessica gave a simple “Uh Huh” and told her sister she was going to take a nap. Honestly she did like the music choice but she knew that she had to lay down the law fast if they were practically going to be roommates. This volume of music was unacceptable and she planned on telling her new 'friend' just that.

 

The small brown haired girl stormed upstairs and opened her window, feeling a large gust of icy wind against her body. The neighbors window was wide open and the music became very loud, and very clear. The song had changed, it was now Destiny's Child's Say my Name, one of Jessica's favorite songs from her childhood. She almost lost her nerve in the music but once again her desire for sleep trumped all other feelings.

 

She stuck her head out the window and gave a moderately loud yell, but the music was too loud.

She tried a little louder and banged her hand on the window sill but still nothing.

 

This girl... She thought angrily.

 

Jessica was about to reach her wits end when she looked down and saw the myriad of beanie babies at her feet. She picked up one of her least favorite (a bear), gave it a quick kiss for luck, and sent it sailing through the neighbors window, landing not-so-softly on the hard wood floor.

 

Nailed it.

 

A few moments later the music got softer and Jessica began to think twice about what she had just done. What if she was mad?

 

Oh my god she could still be a serial killer. I just gave her a reason to kill me. I mean if she doesnt like beanie babies. Or bears. Please like bears.

 

In the middle of her panicking, she saw a hand reach down and pick up the doll she had just thrown. She watched as slippered feet walked over towards the window, and she gripped the sill with white knuckles mixed with fear and anger. Time to meet the new neighbor.

 

The first thing Jessica saw was her outfit; red and white cotton shorts and a large green T-shirt that hung perfectly off one cream colored shoulder. As she stepped more into view her hair became the center of focus, it was beautiful. Jessica had seen her hair the previous night but it was tied up and pretty unremarkable, now it was down in flowing locks of yellow that poured over one shoulder and was being whipped up by the wind. Her face looked more lost than angry, her eyebrows were up and was slightly agape. Her eyes were big and brown guiding her head in all directions, searching for the cause of this peculiar happening.

 

She looked like a child who'd lost her mother, it was almost cute until her gaze landed on Jessica.

 

Did you just...?” She held up the beanie baby, causing Sica's muscles to suddenly cramp up.

 

She didnt answer. She couldnt. This was no serial killer, this was a goddess. A goddess who was standing in front of her, holding her beanie baby in her godly hand. The beanie baby that she had just thrown through her window out of anger.

 

I uh...” she attempted, watching the expression on the others face raise to a more inquisitive state.

 

Another gust of wind blew by, causing goosebumps to appear on Jessica's skin. Winter had never been so cold.

 

Get it together, you have a mission to complete. You cant back down now. She snapped herself out of her daze, her expression quickly becoming assertive.

 

Yeah, I did. Could you turn down your music? Its like, really loud and I'm trying to sleep.” Jessica said, her words bitter and tone extra sassy. She wanted to show this new girl that she couldnt just come into her town and do whatever she wanted, no mater how drop-dead-gorgeous she was.

 

She was not prepared for the blonde girl's response. Not remotely.

 

Oh sorry, of course. I didnt realize anyone was home.” A smile. An angelic V-shaped smile crept across her face. Jessica melted.

 

How do I even answer that? Why is she being so nice about this? , I dont know what to do.

 

That's ok, um... Just dont let it happen again.” She went to close her window but was stopped by a husky voice.

 

My name's Kim Hyoyeon by the way.” She was leaning out the window now, her long hair swaying in the breeze. Another award winning smile chipped away at the ice around Jessica's heart.

 

She really is a goddess

 

Jessica Jung.” She stated with fake nonchalance.

 

Great to make your acquaintance Jessica Jung.”

 

Yeah I guess...” She turned to walk away, but in her fluster forgot one important thing;

 

And it nailed her in the back, literally.

 

You forgot your beanie baby!!” Hyoyeon yelled across the way. By the time Sica had turned to look, Her neighbors window was already down and she was making a childish face at her through the glass.

 

Well played Kim Hyoyeon, well played.

 

She slammed her own window and kicked the bear on the large pile of like creatures at her feet.

 

She crawled onto her bed and lay there for a few minutes, still faintly hearing Destiny's Child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kim Hyoyeon huh?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Say my name, Say my name~”