" I asked you to marry me, remember?"

Baking Goddess

 

Greetings! OMG OMG OMG. 

I hope you guys are still with me and you didnt leaveee T.T I havent really got time lately since college, assignments and all that... but yayyy! Holidays now so hereee's an update!!!

Give a shoutout to me down there in the comments if you're still here! Hope you guys enjoy this chappie <3

……………………………

< flashback>

“ Its been a long time right?” Hyun Joong grinned at Haneul. She could feel a hint of red colouring her cheeks when he looked directly at her.

*blinks blinks*

“ I cant believe this is you,” she said , in shock.

He laughed. It was that same laugh he had as a child, only now, his voice has changed… it was more mature-sounding. The corners of her lips curved a tiny bit.

*snaps back to reality*

Haneul quickly looked away and scoffed. “ Stop feeling so proud of yourself pabo-joong.”

“ and why not?” he retorted playfully.

“ …..”

“ You gotta admit, you didn’t expect this, did you?” He smiled and waved at his entire frame. Square shoulders, strong arms and a fit body. This was completely the opposite of what Haneul thought Hyun Joong would look like! Though, never in a million years would she admit that. Well, not now at least. Her best friend looked, good.

Haneul rolled her eyes and gave Hyun Joong a good long stare. “ I don’t care,” she said.

< end of flashback>

 

“ Haneul ah, what’s the flavours today?” Daehyun asked, approaching the work table in their kitchen.

“ Candies. We’ve got Cotton Candy, Fudge and Gummies,” Haneul replied mechanically as she mixed in the ingredients in her magic bowl .She just thought of these recipes a few days ago, and now they’re put to the test.

“ Wowww,” Daehyun bubbled, eyes all twinkly, beside his sister looking at the colourful bowls on the table. Bowls of colourful and yummy gummies of all shapes and sizes, cotton candy flavouring was obviously too much. He cheekily grabbed a handful of gummies and ran off before his sister noticed.

“ YAH OPPAAAAA!” Haneul yelled after the running Daehyun.

The workers helping her laughed at the antics of the two siblings. Haneul sighed and muttered under her breath.

“…. And he wonders why I don’t finish on time.. “

………………..

“ Dongwoon ah, can you take the cashier today?” Chaerin approached Dongwoon, who, at the time was munching on a sandwich.

“ Mwo?” he mumbled and Chaerin pulled a face.

“ Don’t talk with your mouth full, pabo… Aishh, how many times must I tell you,” she huffed.

He opened his mouth to speak again, but closed it quickly after noticing her glaring. He munched quickly, swallowed then spoke.

“ Me? At the cashier?” he spoke with uncertainty.

She nodded , “ Daehyun oppa thinks you’re ready to take on the cashier,” she smiled.

“ Cheongmal-yeo?”

Dongwoon gulped. Taking on the cashier is a huge responsibility. You need to be friendly, efficient and you need a good memory. He had all those of course, but still, expectations ran high.

All of a sudden, he received a light punch on the shoulder.

“ Yah, your face … its pale,” Chaerin peered closely at Dongwoon’s face and he stepped back, embarrassed.

“ Its not,” he mumbled then straightened up.

“ Sure,” she remarked playfully. “ Do well Dongwoon ah, today is one of those busy days. We’re trying out new flavours for our cupcakes!”

“ Deh, You can count on me!” he said with passion, a determined gleam in his eye.

In the kitchen, everyone was all over the place preparing for the day. Cupcakes sat lazily in the oven, baking slowly. Sweet aroma wafted in the air, lightening the mood, and putting a smile on everyone’s face.  Icings sat in colourful bowls on the worktable, waiting to colour and decorate the cupcakes.  Some finished cupcakes lined up in colourful trays, ready to boast of their unique flavor created by their baking genius, Lee Haneul.

Haneul looked on proudly at the finished product. A smile of deep content etched on her pretty face.

……………………………………

“ Annyeong!” a bright voice greeted  and Dongwoon looked up with a smile, recognizing the voice almost instantly.

“ Annyeong!”

“ What’s the special today Dongwoon ah?” she asked and peered curiously at the cupcakes.

“ Candies. We’ve got fudge, cotton candy and gummies. They’re running out fast though. Which one would you like?”

Minzy looked at all three hungrily. “ I JUST finished working out and these fellas tempt me. Give me the cotton candy one please!” she smiled. He wore a smirk on his face.

“ Sure, and drinks?”

“ Plain water , please..” Dongwoon nodded and prepared her order.

“ Where is Haneul anyways?” Minzy asked, looking around the shop for her friend. Dongwoon shook his head, “ She’s out for a while. She’ll be back soon though.”

“ okay..”

…………………………………………

Half an hour later, two tall guys and a girl walked into the shop.

“ Ooooh oppa, how did you come to know this place?” the girl chirped and looked at Hyun Joong, smiling. He shrugged, “ Its my best friend’s shop,” he replied.

Hyun Joong’s friend, Lee nodded approvingly, “ Something smells really good,” he commented. Hyun Joong smiled and walked to the counter when he saw that his brother was tending to it.

“ Hey kiddo,” he greeted Dongwoon, whose face broke out into a smile when he saw his brother come visit.

“ Hyung!”

“ I didn’t know you were coming, finished class?” Dongwoon asked.

“ Neh, thought we’d stop by for a drink,” Hyun Joong replied casually.

“ What can I get you then?” Dongwoon asked politely at the three of them.

Hyun Joong immediately picked chamomile tea, Lee chose coffee and the girl (Jiyeon) chose juice. “ Don’t you want to try our cupcakes?”

Lee gazed thoughtfully at them. “ I’ll have one, the fudge one please,” he decided.

“ Make that two,” Hyun Joong added.

“ One gummies cupcake, please,” Jiyeon smiled at Dongwoon.


“ Neh, one moment please…”

……………………………

“ Ommo,” Minzy breathed out, and her small eyes peered curiously at the guys seated opposite of her. It was Hyun Joong! She was sure of it!

“ Seeing him real close, wow, he really is good looking!” She marveled, and decided to watch him.

“ Stalker mode : On,” she giggled.

……………………………………

The three friends eventually got out their books and started what seemed to be a study group session. There were less people in the shop that day, so it was fairly quiet. After an hour, a figure emerged from the kitchen. Hair neatly pulled back into a ponytail, wearing a cute yellow apron, Haneul brought out a tray of freshly baked chocolate croissants. 

She set them carefully on the table, and with Dongwoon’s help, arranged the chocolate croissants neatly in rows. “ Noona, can you take the cashier for a bit? I gotta go to the washroom,” Dongwoon asked.

“ Neh, go go..” she ushered him away.

Within minutes, a group of guys happened to walk into the shop. One of them nudged the other and pointed to the counter, specifically at  Haneul.

“ Annyeong haseyo!” she greeted them politely. The guy wearing the black jacket smiled back at her, “ Yeh, annyeong!”

“ What can I get you?” she asked them.

“ What do you have?” the guy replied calmly, whereas his friends were buzzing around him gaping at Haneul like annoying flies.

She glanced briefly at them, and one winked at her. Haneul rolled her eyes, and got what the other guy asked for.

“ Here you go, have a nice day,” she said quietly. The guy merely smiled, nodded and walked away. Then his friends took his place and began reciting cheesy lines at her.

Hyun Joong watched in interest at her reaction towards them. A small smile etched on his face in amusement. He saw that she was tapping her fingers on the table, a sign she was annoyed which made him smile more.  Observing these, he finally understood what Daehyun meant by she hates certain types of guys. The ones who flirt and act like they can get any girl they want.

........................................

“ Hyun Joong ah, I think I killed enough brain cells for today. Im heading home,” Lee yawned and closed his book. He glanced briefly at his friend while packing, “ Are you coming along?”

Hyun Joong looked up from his text book, a pen in his hand and smiled. “ I think I’m going to stay a little while longer,” he said.

“ Suit yourself! I’ll see you later yeah?”

“ Jiyeon ah, let’s go,” Lee tugged at her bag. Jiyeon nodded and left with her cousin.

“ Take care!” Hyun Joong waved and returned his attention back to his textbook.

An hour later.

Haneul stepped out of the kitchen later that evening and smiled to see that her chocolate croissants were almost sold out. She grinned in satisfaction and scanned the shop, quietly observing that the number of customers had lessened already. Her wandering eyes stopped though, at a figure hunched over on the table.

Curious, she walked quietly towards the person. That messy brown hair seemed familiar somehow. Once she got close enough to see the face, she gasped.

Eyes wide with surprise, she stared at the figure of a sleeping Hyun Joong on the coffee table, with his books spread around him. She peeked at the title of one, “ Marketing.”

“ Hyun Joong-shi?” she called out softly. The only reply she got was a soft snore. She smirked to herself, and whipped out her phone, quickly snapping a picture of him. Intending to embarrass him later on.

She poked his shoulders softly. “ Yah…”

“ Yah yah, pabo-joong you’re drooling.”

“ Pabo-joong wake upp!”

Finally, Hyun Joong’s sleepy eyes opened, slowly though. He just stared blankly at Haneul before finally realizing who she was.  “ D-did I sleep?”

“ You drooled,” she smirked.

Immediately he wiped his mouth but it was dry. He scowled, and slowly rose to sit up properly on the chair, apparently still feeling groggy. She crossed her arms, “ What are you doing here?”

“ Had a study group, see?” He waved at the books in front of him.

“ Yourself?”

“ No, my friends were here. They left already,” he replied.

“ Oh..,” she breathed out and looked at his pale face. Suddenly worried she asked him, “ Did you eat?”

He nodded quietly. “ Had some cupcakes just now, yours. They were delicious, Haneul.”

She blushed suddenly, and quickly replied, “  That’s it? Just cupcakes? Where’s your balanced meal pabo-joong?”

“ No time, had a full schedule today,” he shrugged and she scowled at him in annoyance.

“ You should eat something. Even the others didn’t eat anything yet.. Aigoo, you Come to the kitchen,” she sighed and walked back to the kitchen to fix them all something to eat.

Hyun Joong stared at her wordlessly, but nevertheless he got up and followed her to the kitchen. He walked through the doors to the magical workplace where all the good treats are lovingly created. He gazed at the cute, simple décor and the efficient appliances, nodding in approval of the standard they had back here.

…………………………………………

“ Its just ramen, but eat up,” Haneul passed a bowl to Hyun Joong who accepted it gratefully.  She had already passed the other two bowls to Chaering and Dongwoon who decided to sit outside.

“ I didn’t cook this for you only, just clearing that up before you get too excited,” she said suddenly with her back facing him.

Hyun Joong opened his mouth to say something, but decided otherwise and turned to enjoy the hot bowl of ramen instead. Haneul made them both a cup of hot tea and sat beside him, a book in front of her. She studied the content intently, while sipping the hot tea and him eating his bowl of ramen.

“ What are you reading?” Hyun Joong asked curiously.

Haneul glanced at him briefly before replying, “ A recipe.”

He edged his chair closer to hers, and craned his neck to see what recipe she was looking at. Haneul stiffened.

“ What recipe you looking at?”

“ Something new to bake,” she replied, got up and walked off to the pantry to get ingredients.

Hyun Joong looked in amusement at Haneul, but quickly hid his smile by drinking his hot cup of tea. Soon enough, she came back with a basket filled with ingredients.

PLOP!

“ Do you mind if I watch?” he asked her. Haneul looked up and shook her head. “ You can stay if you want. I’m just baking..”

……………………………………………..

He looked in interest at his friend baking. She seemed so absorb in the whole process of it. You could tell that this is her passion, because the light in her eyes were pure joy and excitement. She smiled and hummed a song while baking.

Hyun Joong stood up and approached her. “ You really like this, don’t you?”

She nodded quietly, and carefully mixed the ingredients together. “ Can I help?” he asked. Haneul took her time answering him. She peered closely at Hyun Joong before nodding.

“ What do I do?”

“ Come here,” she said softly.

…………………………………………………

 “ Careful, careful…”

“ Arasso, I’ve got this.”

“ You sure?”

“ Trust me.”

After a while, they were finally done and beautiful donuts sat nice and fat on the trays. Haneul grinned at them in satisfaction. “ It worked!” she bubbled happily.

Hyun Joong laughed seeing her so excited over the donuts and suddenly a lightbulb went off in his head. He grinned mischievously.

“ Shall we decorate it?” he asked.

“ ommo! Of course, I prepared them already, you can choose there.. You decorate these, I’ll do these,” she smiled.

“ Then we’ll ask Daehyun to pick which is the best design for the shop!” she laughed.

“ A competition? You’re ON!” Hyun Joong laughed.

“ I’ll win,” Haneul said confidently.

“ You have no idea who you’re up against Haneul,” he said dangerously but she rolled her eyes at him.

……………………………………..

Finally they were done frosting and magically transforming their donuts and Haneul hates to admit it, but his frostings looked pretty good. Especially the pink one.

“ Let’s show these to oppa when he gets back,” she said and Hyun Joong nodded.

“ I want to ask you a question though, if you don’t mind,” she said quietly all of a sudden. Noting the change in mood, he nodded. “ Go ahead.”

 “Why did you come back?” she asked.

For a few moments, silence stretched in between them before he finally broke the spell.

Hyun Joong suddenly picked up a smaller version of the pink donut she was eyeing earlier on.

A mini donut. Her eyes widened in surprise.

“ Do you remember this?” Hyun Joong smiled cheekily at her and extended the pink mini donut to her.

She took it from him and peered at it closely, before looking up at him. A flash of memory from the past hit her, and she stared wide-eyed at the donut in memory.

He saw her reaction and continued, “ Yeah, I asked you to marry me, remember?”

…………………………………………………

“ …. I asked you to marry me, remember?”

Wide-eyed, Dongwoon retreated away from the door and lay flat against the wall, eyes wide open. Shocked. “ That voice, that’s hyung’s voice…” his mind whirred in overdrive.

“ In the kitchen, its just Haneul noona…”

“ OMMO OMMO OMMO!!!”