ONE OK ROCK- じぶんROCK

Mix-It-Up Playlist (Music Video Review Shop)

Before I get started on this review I just want to say the main reason I do this. I do it for myself to get my thoughts and ideas across but not only that but to expand my view on music. I want to review different songs and artists and genres so I can appreciate other kinds of music. In doing this, my true goal, is to help other people do this as well. I want to get other artists who may not be well known and maybe you will find them and really fall in love with them. I want to help expand the appreciate of music that is from all over the world and from all different styles because Music is Universal!

That's why I do this and will continue to do this. That being said, I will begin my first review on something other than Kpop and Korean.

 

 

 

 

 

English Lyrics: (Click Here)

Since this isn't Kpop, and because Kpop is really big on here, I'm going to start by giving a small background on the group and maybe in the future I will add this into the review. Or Maybe I'll have a full review on just one group and add the history there.

Anyways, ONE OK ROCK is a rock group from Japan. They say they are more punk and emo with their music and I don't disagree. Originally, there were 5 members, but due to legal problems one has left. They have been around since 2005 and are a fairly well known group. Also, for those Kpop fans (mainly FT Island), Hongki (the lead singer of FT Island) is a fan of ONE OK ROCK. Not only that, but Taka (the lead singer of ONE OK ROCK) and Hongki are friends. They have taken pictures together and Hongki at one point in time mentioned him in a twitter post.

Anyways, I'll end it there and I hope that this made you want to give this group a chance.

The Song

I'm going to start off by saying, I am very fimiliar with this band and they are one of my favorite bands of all time. That being said I'm aware of their other songs and this isn't my favorite. However, ignoring that fact, I can say this song was really well done. じぶん or Jibun in Japanese means kind of like 'One's self' or 'One's person.' That being said, the song focuses a lot on being yourself. It talks a lot about being almost like in a daze. You lose you beliefs and things just to go on with the normal day to day routines, but this song encourages you to break away from that and remember you are alive and you are you.

This song has a really great meaning to it. And the lyrics are wonderful. Not only that, but the instruments are well played and the tempo change was really well done. Over all I love all the differen aspects of this song and it was arranged well. Not only this, but the lead singer, Taka, has a crazy amazing voice. this song doesn't show it off enough, but he used to be in the JPOP group NEWS. His voice is amazing.

ONE OK ROCK sometimes have songs that can be a bit more hardcore than others. This one isn't like that. If you like rock or alternative this is a really great song to check out. And it has a great message.

 

The Music Video

I'm going to start by saying, this is the reason I choose this song. I love the music video. It's a good place of showing of the members of the band and their ability to play while actually having a storyline that actually goes with the lyrics.

I really loved this cartoon story that went through out the video. My personal favorite part was when the cartoons walk in front of the band while they are playing and they just stop and look at the cartoons. It was just so funny and comical and it really was a great touch for this band. I loved their background with the black and white with splashes. I loved the TV's. It was a great way to combined the twopoints of the video so that it wouldn't be disconnected and seem like two different videos.

However, even though they were able to combine the two different scenes, I will have to say the animation is a little hard to get used to. It's an odd style that isn't anime which most people think of when people say anything about Japan. That being said this had a rougher almost grunge type look. It isn't an attractive style nor is it clean. It's very sketchy. But, it works. It looks good because of the song and the music the band is playing. If this animation was used for a 2ne1 video... it wouldn't make sense. So I really love the animation because it suits the video... overall though, I wouldn't want to see the animation anywhere else.

Also, continuing on, during the animation, you see scenes played out. There's an actual storyline involved and I personally loved. It was well thought out and it goes with the point of the song as it should.

 

The Dance

There is no dancing in this unless you want to continue the members messing around and playing each others instruments. If you watch the video they actually change positions. The drummer plays the bass for a while and vise versa. It's very jittery and jumpy and it works.

 

The English

This song doesn't really have English. I think they use the word 'MY' once but that's it. However, this band does have a lot of songs that use English and I have to say Taka is usually really good at pronouncing things and the English sentences are usually structred decently.

 

The Outfits

Now when I first saw this video years ago, I couldn't help but think they really looked like Green Day from the 80's. They have the punk look and there's not much I can say about it. It's rock music and it's not like Kpop where they are trying to give you eye candy. Overall, I like their look, but I wish their hair was neater.

 

The Overview

Overall, this song was well done but the Music Video was even better. This is a fun and interesting video to watch. It's a little different but not completely out there that you question what's going on. It's fairly straight forward and goes with the song. The song was good, but not ONE OK ROCK's best song. However, this may be their best video if not one of their top.

 

The Verdict

Since I love ONE OK ROCK there hasn't been anything they put out that I disliked. But this is a rock song and not many people like it. I personally feel the song was well done adn everyone played their intruments well. It was a well made song.

The Music Video was great. Though, again because it is rock, people will think differently. But for a video it matches the song perfectly and fits in with the theme and genre.


I hope people reading this will give this song a chance since it isn't kpop. If you don't like suggest something to me. I want to listen to new music too. I hope everyone will suggest songs that I wouldn't normally listen to. Anyways I hope you enjoyed.