It has to be You

It has to be You

 

Chicago, 14.02.2014

The studio is already packed. About 200 viewers have occupied their seats when the host, Oprah Winfrey, appears. The audience give her a round of applause. And when the director gives the signal for the live broadcast, everybody is silent.

Oprah: “Hello everybody, welcome to the 'Next Chapter'. Our guest today is special. He's still young, handsome and just recently won the awards for the best supporting actor at the Golden Globe and Screen Actors' Guild. Let see if he can bring home the Oscar next month. This young man is known not only as an actor but also for his good heart. He recently joined my foundation to Africa to provide better health and education access for young women. Please welcome Siwon Choi.”

The audience clap their hands. There are wolf whistles when a tall muscular handsome man with short black jet hair appears. He shows his dimpled smile while waving his hand to the audience. He approaches Oprah and kisses her cheeks.

Oprah (OW): “Welcome Siwon. How are you?”

Siwon (CSW): “Never better. Thank you.”

OW: “My female audience were jealous because you just kissed me.”

CSW: “Hahahaha.... They shouldn't be [flashing his dimpled smile].”

OW: “How do you feel right now, after winning two awards? You're relatively new to Hollywood.”

CSW: “I feel great. It's quite shocking actually, considering this is my first Hollywood movie. But I'm thankful to director Brad Pitt and lead actor Leonardo di Caprio because they helped me a lot during the shooting.”

OW: “The movie 'It has to be You' is about homoual couple. You are Leo's boyfriend here. How could you transform into an effeminate man for this movie?”

CSW: “It wasn't easy in the beginning because I'm quite masculine myself. But I watched several gay movies like 'Philadelphia' and 'Brokeback Mountains' and I got a glimpse on how to express my character in front of the camera. I also talked to some gay friends and they told me their experiences, the bad and good sides, of being gay especially when they first revealed their identity. They told me the feeling of being despised, being rejected, being bullied. Some of them still think that equality doesn't exist and it's quite sad.

Brad also helped me a lot so that I can get into my character. I also spent a lot of time discussing with Leo on our roles, exchanging our ideas on what to do in front of the camera and giving inputs to each other's acting. I'm glad it turned out well.”

OW: “'It has to be You' won a total of 12 awards in the Golden Globe and at the Screen Actors' Guild, including for best movie, best director, best actor and best supporting actor. What is your chance to win an Oscar? It's two weeks from now.”

CSW: “Frankly speaking, I didn't expect to win any. I mean, I'm new. People have only known me as Siwon of Super Junior. Yes, I played in several TV series back in South Korea. But my debut in Hollywood is through this movie. Although I have won at the Golden Globe and in the Screen Actors' Guild, I won't expect too much at the Oscar. It's like another battle for me.

OW: “So, your achievements are beyond your expectation?”

CSW: “Absolutely. It's the best present for me. Being recognized and being awarded for my acting are something I have dreamtof.”

OW: “We're gonna talk more about Siwon's personal life. We'll be right back after the break.”

 

***


OW: “Welcome back. Siwon, are you still part of Super Junior?”

CSW: “Yes, I am. But I am focusing more on acting now.

OW: “Why?”

CSW: “I love both acting and singing and dancing with the group. But I was at a crossroad last year that the management asked me to choose. And I chose acting. Now, I know I made the right choice.”

OW: “Back to your role as a homoual in the movie. You made a comment, and I quoted this from The Yale Globalist: 'I do not wish to acknowledge homouals as I have been taught that God created Man and Woman with specific characteristics and duties'. People accused you of being homophobic. Tell me why did you make this comment?”

CSW: “I was aware that my comment sparked public controversy. A lot of people hated me. The interview took place in 2007 when I was 21 and frankly speaking I didn't know my ual preference at that time. If I could turn back time, I wouldn't say that.... since I'm one of them.”

Gasps and noises come from the audience.

OW: “What are you trying to say, Siwon?”

CSW: [Siwon blinks his eyes repeatedly, trying to hold back tears. He takes a deep breath before answering] “I'm gay.” [He fidgets his fists and looks at the floor]

Oprah stretches her hand to Siwon's and squeezes her guest's hand as a sign of encouragement.

OW: “Do you realize what you just said?”

Siwon only nods while he fixes his eyes on the studio floor. He can hear whispers coming from the theater.

OW: “We'll be right back.”

 

***


New York, 14.02.2014

At a music studio in downtown New York, a young man in his mid-20s is humming notes from a piece of paper in front of him. He listens to the music coming out of his headphones before checking the notes again, humming the same song over and over until he knows he can sing it perfectly.

Hey Marc, please come here,” a 55-year-old man with gray hair in his suit is sitting on a couch, watching TV. The man is none other than David Foster, a famous producer-songwriter-arranger. He is working on a new album for a South Korean singer, who had debuted in his country for eight years but is going to break into the US market on his solo project.

What is it Mr. Foster?” the young man sits next to the composer, while his eyes start to look into a talk show at the TV. He keeps calling the producer in a formal way although David has repeatedly asked him to call him by his first name. The young man still thinks it's rude and impolite to call someone whose age is double from his own just with his first name.

Isn't the guest your band member?” Davis asks.

Marcus Cho – formerly known as Cho Kyuhyun, the magnae of Super Junior – stares at the TV screen and his eyes nearly pop out of their sockets. His heart starts to beat fast. He feels the world is spinning when he hears the man's latest statement before the commercial break: “I am gay.”

What are you doing hyung? Why did you say that? You're just digging your own grave.” Kyuhyun can't believe his ears. Siwon finally comes out of the closet. Those three words were the reason why they broke up a year ago.

 

***

Flashback

Seoul, 13.02.2013

Kyuhyun threw a tantrum on his boyfriend. He couldn't understand the way of thinking of the man, who was only two years older than him.

I won't let you tell the world that we are dating. No way!” Kyuhyun shouted at Siwon. “Do you realize the consequences? Are you even aware that all this time people have been suspicious with our relationship? Do you even notice there have been many rumors about us? Check the Internet, Siwonnie!”

Siwon sighed. He was desperate. He could no longer tolerate this. All he wanted was to be honest with his feeling. And that feeling was deeply in love with Kyuhyun. Apparently, in Korea, just like in many other countries, homouality remained a taboo. Although their senior Hong Seok-cheon publicly said that he was gay but he had to go through difficult years of rejection not only from the entertainment industry but also from the society.

It was understandable if Kyuhyun was afraid. He was afraid of what the society would think of them, how the public would react upon their honesty with their preference. His parents have accepted the truth that Kyuhyun was madly in love with Siwon. It was love at first sight for Kyuhyun since day one he joined Super Junior. He had to suppress his feelings for about two years before Siwon started to notice his existence and loved him back. His parents have recognized Siwon's feelings for their son when Kyuhyun lied helplessly after the 2007 accident. They saw him broke down, cried his heart out next to Kyuhyun's hospital bed. They knew. They always knew that Kyuhyun's feeling was reciprocal.

Siwon might not understand the insecured feeling because he was one of the most valuable assets of SM Entertainment. Born with a silver spoon, Siwon always had the easy way in his life. He was enrolled to the best school in Seoul. Although his father had opposed him being a singer/actor but at the end, he supported him. Mr. Choi Kiho was quite famous among chaebol (conglomerates) thus preventing Siwon from receiving mistreatment from the society.

It was the umpteenth time that they fought on their relationship. After more than three years of dating, Siwon felt it was time to tell the world about their relationship. He had given hints to Super Junior fans, the ELFs, on their special relationship and they were even earned the nickname “WonKyu”.

Every time Siwon posted a picture or a text on his twitter or weibo accounts that connected to Kyuhyun, the younger one was furious. He was happy inside but he couldn't stop feeling anxious. In short, he was scared like hell.

Kyu, Baby, why don't we try? I'll try to talk to Lee Soo-man songsaengnim [teacher], maybe he understands our situation,” Siwon tries to persuade his boyfriend.

Wrong move. Kyuhyun went ballistic. “Are you crazy? He will be the first to chop my head. Not yours. It's my head. You're his golden boy. You will be safe. He won't touch you. But me? He will kill me.”

Kyu, you're over reacted.”

You just don't get it, do you? You think you can solve everything. Has your father accepted the fact that you are gay? Have you told him that we are having a serious relationship? Huh?”

Silence.

That's what I thought. You're just a coward. How can you tell the world? How can you face their reaction? I... I can't do this Siwonnie. I can't feel insecure all the time.”

Baby, I'll protect you.”

You won't be around 24/7. You have your own schedules. You're busy with your dramas.”

Siwon was speechless. Kyuhyun was right. They only had limited time to meet, to cuddle, to make love. And the last thing he needed was getting in a fight with his boyfriend.

He had tried to speak to his father, telling the old man that he would not be able to become the heir of the company, that he would not give him grandchildren because he only loved Kyuhyun. But his father insisted that Siwon must get married to a woman even if the family had to arrange for the marriage for him. His father even tossed the idea that Siwon could still keep Kyuhyun as his boyfriend as long as he lived normally with a family. Listening to the idea alone had boiled Siwon's blood and if it wasn't Choi Kiho who said it, he would have sent whoever said it to hospital.

Siwon approached Kyuhyun, hugging the younger tightly. “I'm sorry. I was selfish. I love you very much and I want to tell the world that you are mine. And I'm sorry for being a coward. I'll tell my father soon and I hope he understands.”

Kyuhyun gasped when he felt his shoulder was wet. “Hyung, please don't cry. I'm sorry... I'm sorry for... For us. I'm sorry I'm too scared to face the world. I just can't hyung. I can't face people who will despise me. I'm not strong like you are. I'm tired of the pressure from the management to hide our feelings, to not show it in front of our fans.”

Siwon pulled away from his boyfriend, stared at the beautiful face before him. He wiped his tears and looked into Kyuhyun's eyes. “Once my father accepts our relationship, I want us to publicly date.”

Oh God! You still don't get it. There's no way your father will approve this relationship. There's no way we can publicly date!” Kyuhyun sighed. He was too exhausted to explain everything to the tall guy. Either Siwon was a complete idiot or he was too oblivious on the young one's fear.

Hyung,” Kyuhyun spoke in a very soft tone. He had to do this, for the sake of both of them. He took a deep breath, looked into Siwon's dark orbs. “I think.... it is better for us to break up.”

There! He said it!

Siwon was stunned. He couldn't believe what Kyuhyun just said. No, this was not true. This couldn't be happening. He stared at the hazelnut orbs and he saw sadness and pain but also determination. How could Kyuhyun ask for a break-up when Siwon wanted their relationship to be exposed.

No!” That's all he could say. He would oppose the break-up, no matter what.

Hyung... It's the best for us. Chase your dream. Be the best actor. You don't have to worry about me anymore. We don't have to keep thinking of what the society would think of our relationship. I will pursue my own dream, be a good singer. Please... Please, let me go.”

Tears started to roll down Kyuhyun's cheeks. No answer from Siwon who just stood there like a marble David statue. Kyuhyun sighed before picking up his backpack and exited Siwon's apartment. Just before he closed he door, he turned around and whispered: “Good bye hyung.”


***

 

Chicago, 14.02.2014

OW: “Hi everyone. We are back with Siwon Choi. You just made a confession, telling the world that you're gay. Why now?”

CSW: “I've always wanted to get out of the closet since years ago. Last year was actually the time when I had the strongest desire to confess publicly. But my boyfriend opposed that and was very furious. You know, being a gay in Korea was not easy. Especially since I'm a celebrity and my fans have high expectation from me. They always portray me as a perfect man. The truth is I'm not perfect.

They always worship my physical feature. Well, I work very hard to stay fit and have this body but I don't think they see the process. They always mention of me being born in a rich family. It's true that somehow, my father has an influence among Korea's businesses. But people often forget that I have gone through hours of training to join Super Junior, to be an actor.

When I was first cast in 'It has to be You', I have these thoughts 'what will happen if I confess, will the people accept me for who I am'. I was scared, I still am. But I think being honest is more important. All I ask from the society is acceptance.

Just accept me for who I am and what I am.”

OW: “Do you have any fears or worries after your confession?”

CSW: “Of course. I have fears that people will discriminate me or bully me. But I've seen other celebrities who reveal their homouality and they are fine with that and that the society accept them. They enjoy their lives and I wish I can be like them.

OW: “Do your parents know?”

CSW: “Yes. I told them the moment I realized that I fell in love with my boyfriend, it's about four years ago. My father was angry, disappointed and frustrated. I couldn't face him for months, feeling that I was, I am, a disgrace to the family.

My mother struggled hard to accept me. She talked to my boyfriend's mother a lot before she was able to embrace me. These two ladies realized that my love to my boyfriend was not just a phase in our life, that whatever happened we both love each other and that no matter what we are still their sons. [Siwon's eyes are teary and his voice cracks]

I'm glad that my father has finally accepted the fact that I am gay. We have come to good terms. We start playing catch-and-throw again. We have lunch and dinner together whenever we can. We can talk heart-to-heart again.”

OW: “Now that you finally tell the world, what is your plan in the future?”

CSW: “I'll keep focusing on my acting career . You may have heard that I already got a role in the 'Two and a half Men', so it's gonna be a huge leap in my career by starring in a famous drama series. I hope people will support me in this drama.

As for the movie, I will start shooting 'Ocean Fourteen' along with George Clooney, Andy Garcia, Matt Damon and Brad Pitt, among others. It's gonna be a great experience to work with big names. I'm looking forward to collaborate with Brad again. He's a genius. I hope I meet their expectation.”

OW: “What about your personal life? Do you plan to get your boyfriend back?”

CSW: “I wish... [Siwon is silent]. I have never meant to hurt him, or make him insecured. I just want him to be proud of me, having me as his boyfriend. I wish he can forgive me and take me back because... I still love him. Call me cheesy but it's just like the movie. It has to be him. I don't think I can love somebody else.”

Claps are heard from the audience.

OW: “Tell me about your boyfriend.”

CSW: “He's a singer. He is a great singer. His sultry voice is so beautiful. You should listen to him singing. I heard he's in the process of making his first international solo album now. I wish he can gain a success. He is a rising star, forever shining in my heart...”

Siwon sobs. Memories of Kyuhyun flash in his mind from their first meet, their confession, their first kiss to their first love-making. Everything about Kyuhyun has always been beautiful. The break-up took its toll but Siwon manages to overcome the pain by focusing on his work. He cannot lie though that he misses Kyuhyun so badly that he will do anything if Kyuhyun takes him back.

OW: “ Will you share his identity with us? I will completely understand if you say no.”

CSW: “I wish I can shout his name to the world, I really wish. But my wish was the reason of our break-up. I just want to protect him, protect his dream. I just wish he lives happily, with or without me.”

OW: “Do you think you can be happy without him?”

CSW: “No. I have sleepless nights thinking about him. Honestly, I've been crying most of the nights remembering our special moments, especially during special days: his birthday, my birthday, our anniversary day, Valentine's Day, Christmas... It's so painful to celebrate those days alone and I'd rather forget that those days should be special for us.”

OW: “Do you realize that today is the Valentine's Day?”

CSW: “Of course. We broke up a day before the Valentine's Day last year. And I'm sorry to spoil the mood with my sad story.”

OW: “Everyone, my producer just informed me that someone wants to talk to Siwon. So, we're gonna have a conversation through Skype, after this break.”


***

 

OW: “Welcome back. Siwon, we are linked to New York because someone... Oh no, there are two people who want to talk to you. Can we get the connection now?”

Once the producer nods, Oprah turns to the giant screen behind her. Siwon follows suit, shifting his body so he can face the screen.

OW: “Oh, hi David! What a surprise.”

DF: “Hi Oprah! Sorry for the sudden call. Hope I'm not disturbing your show's rundown.”

OW: “What is it David? I didn't know you're a fan of Siwon [laughing].”

DF: “I watched his movie, it's great! Congratulations young man, for the awards.”

CSW: “Thank you Mr. Foster.”

DF: “Actually, I'm calling you for someone whom I've worked with. He's a very talented singer. He's still young but I believe he's gonna get fame soon. His album will come out in two months.”

OW: “Who is it? Now, I'm curious. And what's he got to do with Siwon?”

DF: “I'll just let him talk. Marc, please come here.”

The screen shows David moves to the next chair and the camera captures a skinny young man with beautiful facial feature sits in front of it. He looks nervous. He coughs before start talking.

OW: “Oh hi... Please introduce yourself.”

CKH: “Hello Ms. Winfrey... My name is Marcus Kyuhyun Cho.”

Siwon is sweating. His heart drums fast. His eyes are watery. Seeing Kyuhyun's face again after a year, although only through the screen, nearly makes him break down again. He tries hard to control his emotion. How he misses the beautiful face, the plump lips, the hazelnut orbs, the sweet smile, the sultry voice. He still loves Kyuhyun, he knows that.

OW: “Just call me Oprah. So, you are David's protege.”

CKH: “Yes, I am. I'm currently working on my album. I hope it's going to be a success.”

OW: “What is your reason to call Marc?”

CKH: “I need to speak to Siwon hyung.”

OW: “Excuse me, hyung?”

Oprah looks confused but Siwon quickly explains that the Korean word “hyung” is used to address an older brother for a man.

OW: “OK, please tell Siwon anything you want to say. Can you see him now?”

CKH: “Yes.”

Kyuhyun is blushing. His voice is hoarse. He sheds tears rolling down his cheeks with both hands. He takes a deep breath before starts talking.

CKH: “Hyung, how are you?”

CSW: “I'm fine Kyu, I'm fine.”

CKH: “You're a bad liar, you know. You lose weight, you're lack of sleep. Don't work too hard.” [sobs]

CSW: [chuckles] “Kyu, you are losing weight yourself. You're so skinny. Eat well, okay?”

CKH: “I... I... [Kyuhyun is looking at anywhere but the camera. He is obviously nervous]. I'm sorry Siwonnie. I'm sorry for breaking up with you. I thought things were going to be better. I was wrong. It hurts hyung, it hurts...”

Kyuhyun doesn't care anymore. He doesn't care that he is crying in front of million viewers. He only knows one thing: Siwon was right. Siwon is right about being honest with his feeling. Siwon is right that he loves him. Kyuhyun has lied to himself for a year and he's tired. He's tired of unable to love and be loved by Siwon.

CSW: “Baby.... Please, don't cry. I'm sorry for not fighting for our love. I'm sorry for giving up on you so easily. I should have fought harder. I'm sorry for being a coward.” [Siwon is crying hard]

CKH: “I'm ready now hyung.” [Kyuhyun says in a whisper, but still audible]

CSW: “What?”

CKH: “I'm ready to tell the world that I love you. You're the only one hyung. Only you.”

CSW: “Baby... I love you very much. You know that, right?”

CKH: “I know.”

CSW: “Kyu, Baby... I never agree to our break-up. I still love you. I will always do. Tell me what should I do to make you come back to me.”

CKH: “Will you take me back hyung? I can't live without you.”

CSW: “Anything for you Babe...”

Kyuhyun is unable to continue with the conversation. He cries hard. He covers his face with both hands but everyone can see that his shoulders are moving up and down very hard. David tries to comfort him, soothes the young man.

OW: “David, can Kyuhyun continue? Does he still have anything to say?”

David says something in low tone to Kyuhyun, who only nods.

DF: “Oprah, do you still have any minutes left?”

OW: “Yes. We still have five minutes.”

Kyuhyun comes closer to the camera. His eyes are puffy and red. But he has calmed down.

CSW: “Kyuhyun, Baby, are you okay?”

Kyuhyun nods

CSW: “I love you Kyu, I'll fly to New York after this show. We definitely need to talk. But I want you to believe in our love. I want the world to know about our relationship. Whatever the consequences are, I'm ready to face it. Please, please love me Kyu.”

CKH: “Siwonnie, I love you and I have thought of what you said. I'm ready now, I'm ready to tell the world about us. I'm sorry it took me a year to realize that I miss you so much.”

CSW: “Wait for me Babe, I'll be there soon. I love you.”

CKH: “I love you too Siwonnie. I'll wait for you. And I thank David and Oprah for giving us the chance to speak.”

OW: “Thank you Marcus and David, from New York.”

The line was off. Oprah turns to the audience and she sees a lot of them are wiping their tears away.

OW: “Wow! What a confession. How do you feel Siwon?”

Now that Siwon knows Kyuhyun agrees to take him back, he can't control his emotion any longer. He cries hard, not of sadness but of happiness. He can't wait to catch a plane to New York. He doesn't care what the media will write about him. He doesn't want to know what people think about him. All he cares about right now is that he will get his Kyuhyun back.

CSW: “Thank you Oprah, thank you.”

Siwon approaches the host and hugs her tight while still crying. Some women in the front row are crying in their seats. Oprah's eyes are watery but she is still able to control her emotion.

OW: “Wow, you must be very happy.”

CSW: “No words can explain my feelings right now. I just can't wait to be in New York.”

OW: “It's good that you finally get your love back on the Valentine's Day. Everyone, please remember that love needs to fight for. Happy Valentine's Day and spread love to the people near you. Bye everyone.”

The audience give Siwon a standing applause and he bows to them, feeling grateful that none of them throw rotten tomatoes to his face.

 

***

 

New York, 15.02.2014

The sun shines brightly although the weather remains chill. There are still traces of the Valentine's Day celebration along the street heading to a recording studio in the downtown. A taxi approaches a tall building and a tall handsome man steps out. He is carrying a backpack on his left shoulder while his fingers keep a hidden necklace on his chest.

The man comes to the receptionist and asks to meet David Foster. He is then ushered to David's working room and is welcomed by the producer. After a short chit-chat, David takes the man to a studio room where a younger man is singing while closing his eyes. It's obvious that the young one tries to get the feeling of the song he is currently listening through his headphones.

Marc, you have a guest.”

The said man startles from his seat. He is wondering if his guest is the man he has been missing a lot. When he sees his guest, Kyuhyun can't help but runs to him and hugs him tight. Tears escape his eyes.

Siwonnie, I'm sorry...” he sobs hard in the tall guy's broad chest. David already left the room, giving some privacy for the lovers.

Baby, I'm sorry too. I'll say it again. I'm sorry for giving up on you so easy. I wish I fought harder for our love. I didn't. I'm sorry that you have to go through such a hard time.”

I love you Wonnie, I still do.”

I love you too Baby. Please stay with me forever. Please grow old with me.”

Kyuhyun pulls away, staring to the dark orbs. He tiptoes and kisses the older's lips. The kiss is tender and soft. But soon it gets more passionate before they both take a break to breathe.

Kyu, I really mean it when I said this. My love is only for you. It has to be you.”

The two love-birds sit on the couch, talking on the progress of their career, how they survive the miserable days, how Super Junior members – especially Eunhyuk, Donghae, Heechul and Leeteuk – keep them informed about each other's activities. They feel thankful that although they were miles apart, their friends still support their relationship. And they are more than grateful that they overcome their fears, stubbornness and stupidity for their love.

 

***

 

Los Angeles, 23.02.2014

Rows of limousines are approaching the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, Los Angeles. A-list actors line up and pose at the red carpet while fans are shouting their names. Two men step out of one of the limos. Both are tall, good looking and the taller one has his hand around the other's waist. When they reach the red carpet, they are stopped by Ryan Seacrest for an interview.

RS: “Hello Siwon, how are you?”

CSW: “Very well Ryan, how are you?”

RS: “Never better. I see you're wearing Armani for this event. You look great.”

CSW: “Thank you.”

RS: “Ready to win another award?”

CSW: “Naahhh... I won't expect too much. Other nominees are big names and they are great in their movies. Just being nominated is already something for me.”

RS: “So this is the man who captures your heart?” [Ryan looks at Kyuhyun]

CSW: “Yes. I'm glad we're back as a couple. And please support Kyuhyun, his album will be released in less than two months.”

RS: “So your album is produced by David Foster. How do you feel about it.”

CKH: “I'm kinda nervous but I believe Mr. Foster has Midas touch and I work really hard for this album. And now I have Siwon back, I feel really really great.”

RS: “OK gentlemen, good luck with your Oscar nomination Siwon and good luck for your album Kyuhyun.”

CSW & CKH: “Thank you.”

The two men wave their hands to the awaiting fans before entering the venue.

Four hours later, the Academy Awards ceremony ends. The winners bring home their Oscar trophies with pride and smile on their faces. Fans are still waiting for the Hollywood stars to come out of the venue.

But inside a limo, two men are busily kissing each other. Siwon's lips are nibbling Kyuhyun's and the young one emits moans from the kiss. The tall guy inserts his tongue, exploring the hot cavern he misses very much.

I love you Kyu. It has to be you,” Siwon whispers in Kyuhyun's ears before kissing his boyfriend again more passionately.

Siwon's right hand holds Kyuhyun's nape to deepen their kiss while his left hand is holding the Oscar.