The reality

Virtually hiding from Luhan

Chapter one- The reality

A typical high school life, advanced technology, easy life, the first world. The anti-social prick by the name of Yuan Kai Ling entered the school grounds rather early in the morning, typical of her. She was a Chinese born girl, Korea just seemed to interest her so she decided to study there, with her mother while her father and sister stayed in China.  She rushed to the library to return some of her overdue books and hesitantly paid her library fines. Kai Ling wasn’t that wealthy, her mother worked as a cleaner in this country. Kai Ling sometimes worked for her money so she couldn’t afford to waste it on stupid fines, but despite her being forgetful about returning books, she loved reading.

She browsed through the shelves and pulled out a book, and sat on a nearby couch. *The only place I can read is here, at the dorms, I’m too distracted.*

Luhan rubbed his eyes and squinted as he tried to open them. The sun was right at his face. *Aiya, I forgot to do my math homework. Okay whatever.* He walked out of his room and expected the cook of the group, Lay to have breakfast prepared on the table.

The table was empty.

“Lay! Why didn’t you cook a single thing like you usually do?” Luhan called out, only to be greeted by silence. He looked around the area before realising the time.

*I just absolutely hate all these people.*

 

The EXO-M boys chuckled as they stared at the empty seat where Luhan was meant to sit. The teacher had arrived and started calling the roll, the boys tried their best not to laugh when there was no reply for ‘Luhan.’

*What are those arrogant kids laughing at? They even disrespect the teacher.* Kai Ling thought to herself. She shook her head and pulled out her writing materials and note book.

“Class, I set math homework yesterday. Please take it out.” Mr Yoon ordered. The students shuffled and turned their pages of their exercise books but stopped to stare at the classroom door.

“Mr Yoo! I’m sorry for being late.” Luhan called out, panting with his books in his arms. His hair wasn’t as neat as it usually would have been and his tie was messy.  The EXO-M boys giggled quietly and the girls cooed at how adorable he looked with messy hair.

“Alright Luhan, please take a seat and pull out the math homework I set yesterday.” Mr Yoo ordered. He wasn’t really a strict teacher, he didn’t mind if students were late to class, as long as it wasn’t more than once a week. However, he really did expect students to study and complete their work.

*Oh my god, I should have walked in five minutes later and I might have a chance to avoid this.*

“Luhan ge didn’t do his homework.” Chen stated, loud enough for the boys to hear.

“Luhan barely does his work. He’s a lazy who slouches on the couch or play games.” Kris added.

“Luhan ge needs to get off the internet and go out for a walk, he might get fat.” Lay said.

“No no! That guy is the last person on Earth to get fat, he’s sitckly.” Tao added to the gossiping session.

“Luhan will fail school, I expected more from a Beijing boy.” Xiumin sighed.

“Shut up you goats.” Luhan hissed. He frantically flipped his math note book to a random page filled with numbers. *I’m sure Mr Yoo is blind enough to see this as the work he set yesterday.* Luhan smirked slightly but it quickly faded away.

“No, that won’t work on me you disobedient child.” Mr Yoo said as he walked passed Luhan’s desk. Luhan’s face fell as he tried to think up a reasonably excuse.

“My dog ate it.” He stated. The class let out a few laughs, how uncreative.

“Luhan, back in the days when I went to school and didn’t do my homework, I told the teacher my homework was dog food and my dog ate it all the time, she totally believed me.”

“Mr Yoo, I-”

“I wonder which type of dog food looks like a white piece of paper with writing on it, does anyone have an idea?”

Luhan was slightly panicking but he knew he had to be honest. “I didn’t do it.”

“I thought so too, you’re late and you didn’t do your homework. Talk to me after class.”

“Yes, Mr Yoo.” Luhan replied as he landed his head on the table. It was probably the sixth time in two weeks Mr Yoo had suggested to see him after class, and Luhan basically already memorised what Mr Yoo would always say.

*Is this what popular kids are like? Lazy, arrogant and non-studious.* Kai Ling thought to herself as she proceeded with the set work. She usually kept quiet in class and did all her work at school so she could relax once she got back to her dorm.

“Luhan, Luhan, Luhan. I know final year of high school hasn’t started that long ago but you actually have to work hard this year. What if you don’t get into university?” Motherly Lay asked.

“I know what I’m doing, just because I don’t do my homework it doesn’t mean I’m completely stupid. The term has merely begun! Who knows, maybe I’ll end up being the smartest in the whole class.” Luhan replied, staring blankly at the set questions. He rubbed the back of his neck and just couldn’t find a way to focus on his work.

“Duizhang, can you help me?” He serenely asked.

“ off.” He replied. Luhan knew Kris didn’t mean it, he was just the type to shove people off like that because he found it funny. Luhan also never got offended, they were used to each other.

Luhan stood up from his chair and eyed Kris as he sarcastically yelled out, “You know what? I’m sick of all this crap you give me, we’re not friends anymore. YOLO.” None of the boys laughed, no one found it funny. Luhan never really had a good sense of humour, they just saw him as abnormal yet he’s adorable in the eyes of many girls. He was indeed blessed with good-looks.

“Oh what was that Luhan? I forgot to laugh.” Kris smirked.

“I hate you.” Luhan replied as he turned back to his desk and sighed. The boys had become so much more studious now that they were completing their last year of high school and it annoyed Luhan a lot, since he was the playful type.

“Lulu, you seem to be having a lot of trouble, are you alright?” One of the prettiest girls in the school, Kim Yoorin asked. Luhan smiled and rested his head on the table.

“I’m fine, just a bit tired.”

“Hehe,” she laughed with her soft and gently sounding high voice, “Oppa really should sleep more neh?”

Kai Ling looked from the other side of the class room and wanted to puke. She wasn’t jealous of Yoorin, she just didn’t like her because she was so fake and flirtatious. Except truth is, Yoorin was also academically successful. *That won’t make me like her, I swear she has an inner . No one has seen it but I definitely have.*

Kai Ling lowered her head and decided to finish off the last question before staring blankly outside the window, watching a bird couple teach their baby how to fly. She somehow found the nature outside amazing, or maybe she just found the typical nature amazing since she rarely spent her time outside.

Yoorin had just finished her sweet talking with the adorable Luhan, she walked away from her desk and gave Kai Ling a small smile.

*I like to call that the face.* She thought to herself. Kai Ling perched her cheek onto the table and decided to have a little nap, since she was rather tired. She was unnoticeable, invisible, so no one would actually care what she did. Not long after that, the bell went off signalling for the next period.

“Well that’s the end of today’s lesson, you may all proceed to the next class.” Mr Yoo announced as the students rushed off, he turned to eye a frowning Luhan, “I’ll have a little chat to you, and I’ll write a note to explain to your second period teacher.”

*Hahaha, I hate you.* Luhan depressingly thought to himself.

“Laters little deer, have fun.” The boys waved off. Kris smacked his hand onto Luhan’s back hard, “Next time, do your damn work you brat.” He said before dashing off with a bright smile on his face.

*Huhu, I want to cry.* Luhan yelled in his mind.

“Luhan, Lulu, little deer.” Mr Yoo started.

“Yeah?”

“Do your work, seriously.”

“I can get straight A’s, it’s all good. You know natural intelligence, don’t underestimate my Chinese brain.” Luhan smiled adorably. *Wait why am I using that smile on a male teacher, that’s disgusting and I don’t want to try and seduce an old man.*

“Luhan, third year high school right now, I know it just started but-”

“But I have to work really hard for university, just one more year to work hard for and university will be more laid back, right?” Luhan recited.

“See you understand.”

“I do understand sir, just that you also say it so many times I happened to memorise it.” Luhan stated with a little smile across his face.

“Luhan, you’ve always been my favourite student.” Mr Yoo said before patting Luhan’s back. He uneasily smiled back, not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing. Either way, he quickly dashed off to his next class after taking the note Mr Yoo wrote. *I hope this day ends quickly because I really want to go home.*