Distractions and Repairs

say CHEESE...||*

“You took forever.” Ranee grumbled as they walked along the block, her hand in Onew’s.

Taemin gave a light shrug. “Sorry, I had something to do.”

The girl gave him a slight push with her free hand. “This is important too, don’t you want Jonghyun to have a good birthday? What were you doing anyway?” She narrowed her eyes at him in a mockingly suspicious glance.

“I just had a tutoring lesson.”

“Ah~” Onew nodded in understanding, “Your grades do need a little help.”

Ranee elbowed him lightly. “Shh, don’t talk about slow people, you’ll hurt his feelings.” She joked. “You should have just brought your tutor with you, you’re gonna invite her to the party right?”

“Yeah, I think I will.” A small secretive smile flickered across Taemin’s face, disappearing just as quickly as it had appeared.

“Good, you need as many lessons as you can get.” Onew joked as they reached the shop. He held the door open for his girlfriend and she ducked under his arm to get inside, eyeing the surroundings.

“I heard Key is inviting Kyo Rin.”

Onew snorted, grabbing a basket. “I bet that’ll be fun.”

They walked through the aisles, picking decorations and such as they went.

“I think they’ll be cute together.” Ranee said, examining a package of balloons. “Aside from the arguing, they make a really good pair.”

Onew glanced at the younger boy, who was staring at a display of plastic cups. “You seem out of it, something wrong?”

“No.” Taemin glanced at him, his hand clenching around his phone in the pocket of his jeans. “Just thinking. I should get going soon, there’s some stuff I need to take care of.”

“How can you leave early and come late?” Ranee pouted, throwing the package into the basket.

Onew frowned. “So rude. See you later then.”

“Yeah, later.” Taemin waved and walked off with a fake
smile.

He had to get home to plan, to make things perfect. It HAD to be perfect. For her; for him. For them.

-

EunAe had an expectant look on her face, though she couldn’t find it in her to meet his gaze as he searched her face. They were silent for a while; just standing there with her leaned up against the brick wall outside of the restaurant, Yoochun standing with his hands in his pockets in front of her.

After a moment he spoke. “I don’t like this.”

One of her eyebrows arched in a questioning manner, nearly disappearing behind her bangs. She couldn’t make herself speak, there was a dry lump forming in just remembering their argument.

“Not being together, fighting.” He clarified. “This – it’s stupid.”

She cleared first to prevent her voice from wavering. “Then are you thinking straight now?”

“I’m sorry; I know I shouldn’t believe everything I hear. You wouldn’t cheat, I know but it’s hard not to get jealous and suspicious with these feelings. These damned feelings.” He said with an aggravated sigh.

He gave a small smile, opening his arms in an invitation for her to step into them. She complied, resting her head against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

“I thought relationship stuff was supposed to get easier after high school. Here I am more than halfway through college and we still can’t get it together. Maybe I should leave you for a high school kid.”

“I’m sure Taemin would be willing.” He joked. “Let’s go in now.”

EunAe slid into her spot next to Soelhee, Yoochun sitting beside her with his arm around her waist.

“Well well,” Soelhee said, moving her cup away from her. “The happy couple is back together.”

“Good.” HyoRa said. “You two are good together.”

Yunho nodded in agreement, lightly squeezing Jooni’s hand. “It would have been awkward if you didn’t. We’d have to pick and choose who we hung out with on what days so you two could avoid each other.”

“You didn’t hear? She’s leaving me for Taemin.” Yoochun grinned mischievously.

Jooni swatted playfully at EunAe. “Oh, you cougar you.”

-

Her mood was distinctively different, Taemin noted as he studied with EunAe the next day. He snuck curious glances at her, trying to understand what was different. Maybe she was happy just to be near him? It was what he hoped for but knew it wasn’t true.

When it was time for her to leave, he walked her to the door with a small smile, enjoying the happy expression on her face.

“So,” He said, pausing while she slipped on her shoes, “ JongHyun’s birthday is this weekend, it’d be great if you could come.”

EunAe grinned and nodded. “Yeah sure, just text me with the time and place. I don’t think Yoochun can come though, he works every other weekend.”

“Yoochun? You two are back on good terms?” Taemin concentrated on keeping his facial expression still, fighting the angry emotions building up inside.

“Yep.”

The smile on her face wasn’t so beautiful anymore, still pretty but not in a way that he could bring himself to like. “That was fast.”

“Yeah, I know. My friends kinda helped.” She adjusted her bag on her shoulder. “Well, see you later.”

“Yeah, see you.” He gave a lazy wave with a false smile.

Taemin leaned against the doorframe, watching her as she left. After he’d closed the door he scowled, his eyebrows furrowing and bringing an evil beauty to his pretty face.

He’d see her alright, everyday if he’d like, but never with Yoochun again. Not if he could help it, and he could. It was time to tighten his grip, he decided as he wandered over to his computer.