Chapter 3

Star-Crossed and Meant To Be

To say that things were awkward was to say the least.

Junhyung glanced over to Chaerin’s office.  Her back was to the glass window and he frowned. He didn’t want to jump to conclusions but he was beginning to think that she was avoiding him. Ever since he took her home a few days ago, he couldn’t seem to get a minute alone with her. She always seemed to make excuses. 

Yet, he was somewhat grateful for not being able to get her alone. He had not been able to stop thinking about her since that night. The feeling he felt at that moment when they stared at each other as his arms tightened around her…was indescribable. It scared him greatly because it was something he had never felt, not even with Hara.

A sudden knock at his door interrupted his thoughts.

“Come in” he said.

The door opened slightly and Hara stepped inside. She smiled at him but he only smiled a bit before it turned into a frown once more.

“Are you leaving?” he asked.

Hara nodded as she came around the desk and sat in his lap, her arms wrapping around his shoulders. He glanced out into the main area, his eyes going straight for Chaerin’s office.

“I’m going to miss you” Hara said into his ear.

He tore his eyes away from the outline of Chaerin’s figure against her glass office window.

“You’ll only be gone for the weekend” he said nonchalantly.

He looked down at Hara’s face. She pouted slightly at his response.

“A very long weekend” she corrected.

He chuckled slightly.

“Okay, okay” he said.

He looked out his window once more. Hara hugged herself tighter to him.

“Are you okay? You seem distracted.”

Junhyung sighed and closed his eyes. Hara kissed his face and he turned the chair away from the window. He didn’t want anyone to see this, especially not Chaerin.

“I’m just a bit tired” he finally replied.

Hara frowned.

“Maybe you should go home and rest” she suggested.

Junhyung shook his head.

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me.”

Hara looked unconvinced but Junhyung smiled at her and she sighed, nodding her head in understanding.

“Okay…I have to go. I’ll call you once I land in Japan.”

She stood up and looked at Junhyung expectantly. He stood up slowly and glanced out the window briefly before he took her in his arms and kissed her goodbye.

“Be careful” he said as he pulled away.

Hara nodded and waved goodbye before she exited his office. The other models were waiting for her in the lobby. Junhyung watched her go but once she closed the door and disappeared, his eyes went straight to Chaerin’s office.

He took a deep breath and exited his office. He made his way over to the studio to watch the latest photo shoot. It was there that he saw Zico.

“Oh, Junhyung…” Zico said.

Junhyung approached him and greeted him.

“Missing Hara already?” Zico asked.

Junhyung looked around the studio.

“Yeah…”he replied.

He noticed they were standing in the same spot Chaerin had used to sleep on. Inside his head, Junhyung was yelling at himself. Why couldn’t he stop thinking about her?

Junhyung glanced at Zico. He was currently loading up his camera. Junhyung noticed the young model looking at Zico with slight awe in her eyes. Junhyung wondered if Chaerin looked at Zico the same way.

“What is the shoot for?” Junhyung found himself asking.

Zico smiled.

“Chaerin’s clothing line” Zico replied.

Junhyung felt his mouth twitch at the sight of Zico smiling so freely as he talked about Chaerin. Even so, he couldn’t deny that the sound of her name made his heart beat a bit faster. This might be his chance.

“Shouldn’t she be here?” he asked.

Zico looked around the studio.

“Yeah, she will be here soon.”

Junhyung almost sighed in relief.

“Mind if I stay?” Junhyung asked.

He didn’t look at Zico, instead he kept his eyes on the main door, waiting to see Chaerin walk in.

“Actually…”

Junhyung turned his head to look at Zico. They caught each other’s look and Zico opened his mouth slightly, only to close it right up and shake his head.

“Nevermind…sure, you can stay” he replied.

Junhyung raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“Something you want to say?” he asked.

Zico shook his head.

“No…it’s just that-”

Junhyung noticed Zico’s face was starting to turn red.

“I wanted to talk to Chaerin” Zico finished saying in a low voice.

The door opened and they watched as Chaerin entered the studio. She walked towards them but her eyes widened once she realized Junhyung was there. She managed to smile a bit as she greeted them. Junhyung tried to look at her eyes but she kept them focused on Zico or anywhere else but him.

“I’m going to go check on the models” she quickly said before walking over to the many models.

Junhyung frowned, sticking his hands into his pants pockets as he watched her get further and further away. Junhyung looked over to Zico, who was busy watching Chaerin as well.

“Well, I better get to work” Zico said with a smile as he walked off, making his way over to Chaerin.

Junhyung didn’t say anything. He walked over to a chair and sat down, deciding to stay as long as he needed to. He sat patiently awaiting for the one moment of weakness in which he could get Chaerin alone long enough to talk to her. But there was never a moment to strike. Zico stayed at her side all throughout the photo shoot and she refused to get anywhere near Junhyung. He sighed as the photo shoot finally came to an end. He stood up from where he was sitting and finally decided to walk over to the pair he had been watching.

“All done?” he asked once he was near enough for them to hear him.

Zico nodded but Chaerin averted her eyes.

“It’s pretty late…” Zico began to say but Junhyung cut in.

“Yeah, I should be going” Junhyung said.

He stared at Chaerin’s figure.

“I was hoping I would be able to talk to you, Chaerin” he voiced.

Chaerin bit down on her lower lip as she lifted her head, but her eyes looking around.

“You should have said something sooner…but can it wait until Monday?” she asked.

Junhyung frowned. Zico let out a laugh as he stepped closer to Chaerin.

“I can wait, Chaerin” he said.

Junhyung furrowed his eyebrows.

“Wait? Wait for what?” he asked.

Zico grinned, his face getting red.

“I…uh, I mean, we are going on a date tonight” Zico replied.

For the first time in days, Chaerin looked at Junhyung. Their eyes met and for the smallest of moments, they were the only people in the world.  Junhyung was the first to look away and he smiled.

“That’s great. Where are you guys going?” he asked.

He looked at Chaerin and he could see the relief in her eyes. It hurt him. She looked at him, this time with confidence.

“Just a movie and some dinner” she answered.

Junhyung forced himself to keep smiling.

“Then you two should get going” he said.

“Didn’t you want to talk to me about something?” Chaerin asked, somewhat hesitant.

Junhyung shook his head.

“I just wanted to collaborate on making a dress…for Hara. Her birthday is coming up.”

It was a complete lie. Chaerin smiled.

“I would love to help you. I’m in.”

“Okay…well we can talk about it next time. I’m going home and you guys have a date to go to.”

Junhyung gave Zico’s shoulder a small pat before he turned away.

“Have fun” he voiced as he walked out the studio.

He let out a big sigh as he leaned against the wall, a frown on his face. Whatever he was feeling, it was getting out of control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 “I’m crazy” Junhyung said to himself as he caught sight of his reflection in the rear view mirror.

He shook his head and took a deep breath as he placed his head in his hands. He really was crazy. What was he even doing here in the first place? He stepped out of his car and made his way over to the hotel entrance. He didn’t bother to go to the reception desk. He knew exactly what room he was looking for. He stepped into the elevator and glared at his reflection. He finally had to look away. He couldn’t look at himself right now. The doors opened and he stepped out, making his way over to the room at the end of the hall. He knocked and waited.

The door opened and he pushed his way through.

“Junhyung?”

He looked at Hara as she looked at him in shock.

“What are you doing here?” she asked as she closed the door.

Junhyung stayed silent as he flung his jacket off and grabbed her waist, pulling her against him.

“I just wanted to be with you” he said in an urgent voice.

He gave her no chance to talk as he kissed her fiercely and pulled her towards her bed. Yes, he was crazy. He was crazy because he traveled to Japan in order to escape Korea, in order to be with Hara, so he could force Chaerin out of his mind. But as he began to undress Hara, he saw Chaerin’s face instead and no matter how much he wanted to, he couldn’t see Hara’s face. As he looked down at Hara, she looked up at him, her eyes and hair exactly like Chaerin’s.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

Junhyung didn’t say anything. He just leaned down and kissed her once more as his hands pulled at her clothes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chaerin stared at the dress in front of her with sadness. It was a very beautiful dress, made for a beautiful woman…who was Junhyung’s girlfriend. She looked away from the dress and stared down at her hands. Even though she knew better…she had managed to develop a big crush for Junhyung. She could barely stand being around him because with each passing day, she felt more connected and more attracted to him. She couldn’t keep her eyes or thoughts on anything other than Junhyung.

Chaerin frowned. It had been almost three weeks since her date with Zico and even though she had a great time, Zico seemed to have noticed that she wasn’t really interested in him. He told her it would be better to remain friends in order for him not to get too attached to her. Chaerin hated herself. She knew Zico really liked her. He told her himself. Yet she liked Junhyung, who not only was a close friend but also was really in love with Hara. And yet….sometimes she thought that maybe…just maybe….

Chaerin quickly shook her head and sighed in frustration. She needed to get over her crush, and fast. What better way than to help him give a present to his girlfriend? Sooner or later it’s going to hit Chaerin hard and she will forget about Junhyung. She picked up her needle and started going to work.

Junhyung walked in and stopped as he saw her working. He loved the way her hands moved. They were fluid and very precise. They looked so small but they were so strong. They suddenly stopped moving and he let his eyes travel up her arms and stop at her face. She had her face turned away, concentrating on a drawing that was on the table. She bit on her bottom lip as she ran ideas in her head. Junhyung smiled as he continued to watch her struggle. After a few minutes, he made his way over to her. He stood next to her, silently watching her. She didn’t notice and he leaned closed to her, trying to see what had her attention.

“What?” he asked.

She jumped and turned her head to look at him.

“You scared me” she said in a low voice.

Junhyung smiled.

“Am I that ugly?” he asked.

Chaerin laughed.

“No, not that ugly” she replied.

She laughed more as she saw his face fall.

“I’m kidding. You aren’t ugly at all. In fact, you are very handsome.”

They stared at each other as those words left . Chaerin cleared and looked away.

“I mean…you’re good looking.”

She winced.

“No, what I mean is that you are nice to look at- Not that I look at you like that-”

He laughed as she babbled. She blushed, hiding her face with her hands. Junhyung frowned slightly and reached out, pulling her hands away from her face.

“Don’t hide your face. I like looking at it” he whispered.

Chaerin’s face turned red.

“Junhyung…”

He came closer, their bodies only a few centimeters apart.

“It’s not the only thing I like looking at…” he started.

He had noticed her from the very beginning. Her eyes, her golden hair, her beautiful smile, and the way she laughed, the way she always seemed to be too focused to notice that he was watching her. She pulled at her hands but he didn’t let them go. They caught gazes and she frowned as she violently pulled her hands away.

“I have to go” she quickly said.

Junhyung panicked and he grabbed her arm. Chaerin froze. Junhyung looked at her with a desperate look and Chaerin looked at him with a scared look.

“Don’t go…” he said in a low voice.

Chaerin looked away.

“Please let me go” she pleaded.

His grip tightened over her arm. He pulled her towards him.

“Junhyung…don’t” she said.

“Look at me” he commanded.

Chaerin refused but that only made Junhyung place his free hand gently on her cheek. He lifted her face to look at him.

“Tell me the truth. I want the truth, do you understand?”

Chaerin hesitated but eventually nodded. Junhyung stared into her eyes for the longest time. It was something he had wanted to do for a while now. By now…he knew that what he was feeling for her wasn’t lust or anything simple. He liked her…a lot.

“Do you feel something for me?” he finally asked.

“No” Chaerin quickly replied.

“I told you I wanted the truth Chaerin” Junhyung replied.

She felt her heart pound harder as he said her name. What could she do now?

“I…like you, Chaerin. I really do. And these feelings are killing me because I want to touch you and hold you. I want to kiss you and do everything else imaginable with you. I really don’t know what to do…but if you tell me the truth…I will find a way.”

Chaerin searched his eyes with her own eyes. He was sincere and that only complicated things, for the both of them. She looked away as she felt her tears fall.

“I feel the same….I’m so sorry” she said through her sobs.

She truly was sorry. She never meant to like him, it just happened. She didn’t do it on purpose. Junhyung slowly let her go but she didn’t move. He smiled a bit as she continued to cry.

“It’s okay…It’s going to be okay” he whispered.

Junhyung stepped closer to her and she looked at him. Her glassy eyes were so powerful that they pulled him closer. He bent his head down slowly, giving her plenty of time to stop him but she did nothing. He got closer and closer until finally, his lips connected with hers. He instantly nudged her lips with his, begging her to respond to him. Her lips slowly moved against his. Her lips were soft, just like he had imagined they would be. Junhyung leaned more into the kiss, his arms wrapping around Chaerin’s body. When they broke away, she couldn’t help but cry with a smile.

“I’m sorry” she said once more.

Junhyung touched his lips gently. The kiss was unreal. It left him speechless. He shook his head at her. Chaerin opened to say but was caught off as Junhyung placed his mouth over hers once more in a gentle kiss. He took her in his arms and hugged her tightly. She hugged him back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it took so long to update this. I was busy with college crap like exams and papers. Bleh! But anyway I am on spring break for a week. I hope to update once more during the week but we will see how that turns out. Thank you to everyone who has read and commented so far. I'll try to not be absent for long periods of time in the future.