Paths Crossed

Love at a Distance (거리에서 사랑)

III

 

 

Today's the day. 

She sighed, her lips formed a line while looking forward to a favorable outcome when she comes back to Los Angeles. She's on her way to the airport going to Seoul to discuss something with the Shin Motor's CEO himself, Shin Soo Hyun. It's not actually on her monthly itinerary to fly anywhere this soon, but since this is one of the most important business deals their company has to settle, she has no choice. She reminded Jana of the things she has to do in the company while she's on leave for a week. Her arrangement schedule should've just been three days in Seoul, but knowing her mom who always asks her to take a break from work, she just extended it for a week. She commit to memory what they've talked to two nights ago during her visit at their house.

"Mom, you don't have to worry, really. I'm fine." She let her mom understood.

"Oh, yes. I exactly know you are. Look, you've gained eyebags and lose weight because you're fine.." Her mom paused, "Tell me, when are you gonna do the things that make you truly happy?"

"I'm happy working with the company, mom... I've been doing better, and I'm... I'm really happy." She looked away while saying those words, but managed to smiled at her mom.

Her mom stared at her intently with worried face. For a while she thought her mom would cry, but she didn't. Instead, she hugged her as if giving her enough strength to face every challenge that would soon come to her life. "I'm always here, child. Mommy is always at your side." Her mom almost whispered it on his ear while still giving her a hug.

For the second time that day, she genuinely smiled.

"Hey, from now on, you should've take at least three weeks for a vacation every year, understood?" Her mom suddenly said in authority after pulling out on her.

"Nope. I can't mom. There are lots of business matters I have to attend to, I can't just have a vacation leaving my employees with ----"

"I've said my word. Please try to understand your mom. I'm old now, I just want you to take a break even for that short span of time every year. And please, take time to find someone.. you know.. How can I have grandchildren when you don't even have a boyfriend?"

"Mom! That's still not on my timetable. You see, the company is still my priority. Anyway, I'll think about it when I reached around thirty----"

"Oh, no! No, no, no.. Don't even think about that! Oh my Gosh. Thirty? will I still be alive when you reached that age?" Her mom almost shouted with her eyes widened and the face in horror as if the thing she said is really... scary. 

She couldn't help but laugh at the reaction of her mom. Whenever she's with her, she felt everything is going to be alright. In a little while, her mom joined her crazy act. They laughed whole-heartedly together.

She smiled at the thought, not noticing the driver caught a sight of her expression on the front mirror.

After more or less half day of travel on air, she finally set foot on Incheon International Airport. An hour later, she'll be in Seoul. She felt really tired though all she'd done on the plane were to sit, visit the comfort room, and vice versa. She promised herself she'll be sleeping the minute she arrives in the hotel.

It's not her first time being in South Korea, though. But she realized she miss everything in the place. She's been here for a couple of times in her existence. It's currently her third time. Her eyes surveyed the entire place where the cab passes through on their way to the hotel where she has reserved a room for a week. She took the brochure out of her big shoulder bag and took a glance at the hotel.

Grand Hyatt. Hmmn, this place is, indeed, as grand as it's name.

An hour after, the cab pulled off just in front of the huge, multi-storey establishment in which it marked "Grand Hyatt". Though she went in several luxurious hotel in the USA and in other countries, she still feel the need to take a tour of the beautiful panorama around the hotel. She suddenly sensed excitement from the idea. She forgot she was actually tired moments ago. She chuckled at herself. She hasn't thought she could have light feelings and get the excitement she has now just being by herself in a foreign place, aside from being with her mom.

She felt free.

Yeah, because you came here for business in the first place. And if so, you only have a week of this so-called freedom.

She frowned at her own thought. She slightly pinched her cheeks while cursing her opposite notion. It was then that she realized she was still standing like a beggar on the sidewalk... and the humiliating part was that, he forgot to pay the cab driver who's now waiting for her fare!

What am I thinking? Ugh, this is embarrassing.

Good thing the driver doesn't look like he's losing his patience. She was relieved that he gave her a pleasant smile after receiving his deserved fare.

"Chungmal Cheosonghaeyo!"

"Nae. Gwaenchanha, Agassi."

She smiled apologetically to the cab driver before he left.

She dragged her wheeled luggage into the hotel and asked on the front desk attendant for the reservation she has made. A bellboy came to help her with the luggage and lead her to her suite unto the eighth floor. After giving the bellboy's tip, she roam her eyes around the room she is in. It was beautiful.

Hmm.. I could stay all-day in here. But, I have to settle everything what I've went here for.

She didn't bother to fix her things. She dropped her tired body unto the soft queen sized- bed and in no time, she's unmindful of the world.

 

 

 

DONGHO stirred in his sleep on his office couch while clinging unto his Winnie the Pooh plushie. Though the settee's small, he managed to fit in just fine. He stayed dozed off until...

"Holy Cow!" He got up on impulse with eyes widened and a little rough breath. He blinked several times holding his chest. He just dreamed. And it wasn't just another lifeless dream he had.  It felt... real. It's the same dream he's been having for almost a month now.

In his dream was a very beautiful girl. He doesn't know if he'd seen her around or not, but he felt his heart beat hard like crazy. Even now that he's already conscious.

What the heck is happening to me? And what's that freak girl has to do with me? Surely she isn't someone I know...

He took time to scan his memory of the girl.. that pretty face...Oh, no.. that freak's face! But, no matter how he thinks of it, he really doesn't know her. Then, something hit him.

Ohmo! Was she one of those flings I've forgotten about and broke her heart? I certainly can't contest to that. Girls can't resist my type.

And now, she's planning on revenge by making me dream of her. Oh, no!

He shook his head hoping to shove away what he's feeling right now. His lips twitched while thinking what had happened.

"Anya." He more of saying it to make himself feel better. He stood and walked around. 

"Wait, what if it's gonna happen? No, it couldn't be.." He felt goosebumps all over his body. "There's no such things...No, It can't be real." He let out a forced laugh.

"It's not gonna happened, right Eli?" He went near the cage and talked to the innocent pigeon busy doing something else.

The pigeon stopped rolling around, stood still, and leaned over. He seemed clueless of what he's kid-like boss was saying.

"Coo~..coo~cooo~"

"Nah. You don't even understand yet you answered." He finally realized patting the bird on the head.

You've asked me, I was just giving an answer. it's not my fault you're no multi-lingual. The pigeon made a snort on his mind.

He sat back on the couch still having the thought when his phone rang. He went to get it on his table then answered.

"Wae eomma?"

"Where are you?" His mother asked sweetly.

There's something fishy going on.

"In the petshop, mom.. Wae?

"Hmmm.. I've got an errand for you to do. You do like that, don't you?" his mom giggled as if predicting what's on his mind.

"Ya Eomma! I can't do that! Isn't there anyone else to do that one?!"

"Ppang Ho-ya! Don't use that tone on me! You're really getting used to scream on me, Ppang Ho~"

Eomma! Stop calling me like that!~Ohmo~ my body aches, I think I need a loooot of rest and----"

"You're not lying to me right now, are you?" His mom's tone sounds dangerous.

He gulped down everything in his mouth, not knowing what to say next. One of the greatest fears he have is to hear this tone from his mom. He really doesn't know why, he just do.

"Now, cat got your tongue little boy?" He's mom mockingly said as if knowing he just made up an excuse. A lousy one.

"Err-- yeah, yeah...Alright! You win." Dongho sighed in defeat. He has never won against his mom when it comes to reasoning.

From the tease tone, his mom's voice turned sweeter this time. "That's my sonyeon.. Now, here's what you have to do..."

 

 

I THINK THIS WILL DO.

After taking some time mixing and matching what to put on, she finally settled for her attire. She's wearing a simple white tank top in a red comfortable cardigan and a black middle thigh- length shorts. On her feet is a pair of plain red doll shoes. She just pony-tailed her long all natural black hair and put a light make-up on her face. She's not used to contact lenses, instead, she put on her beloved eyeglasses.

She's about to go to the supermarket to buy some instantaneous food if ever her laziness comes into picture. There's food service, of course, but she just wants to go around and feel her temporary "freedom".

With that thought, she glanced herself on the mirror's reflection once again and..

"Off to go!"

 

 

I knew mom has planned this. Now I wish I had a dongsaeng to run for her errand instead of me.

Dongho dashed out of his car in front of the nearby supermarket. He removed his sunglasses and flipped his side bangs which covered his eyes. He has a long list of stuff to be bought plucked in his pant's back pocket. He's supposed to drag Yoo Jin along but he realized no one's gonna feed the animals and man the petshop. He reached for the sheet of paper while heading to the entrance. He examined everything listed on it while pushing the cart into the dairy section turning to the shelves and the list back and forth. When he found what he's looking for, he lazily reached four gallons of fresh milk, two medium- sized cubes of butter cream, and a pack of coffee creamer.

He's actually in no mood for shopping right now. He wants to sleep with Winnie... In peace. He puffed out loudly unminding the shoppers near him. He moved past the dairies and this time, dragged the "push" cart unto the next stop: beverages.

 

Meanwhile...

A bar of chocolate: Check. Two cans of pineapple juice: Check. Four coffee-latte in can: Check. Tomato juice... Na-ah. Need to find a couple of them still.

"There you go."

She's carefully looking through the tomato juice in all-red can's nutritional content in her hands when she heard a loud gasp just somewhere near her. She's no butting-in-others'-business type of person, but at that instance, something urged her to at least glance the one who did it. Still holding the can of tomato juice up right at the side of her sight, she slightly motioned her innocent face directly to the person, whom she knows in close proximity to her.

 

Dongho noticed a medium-sized girl's figure just few meters away from him after pulling up from squatting to reached for a carrot juice in can. He furrowed his eyebrows that it almost formed a line while trying to eye the girl clearly. He thought she seemed familiar. He walked forward just enough to see her face up closer this time. He loudly gasped, his eyeballs almost plunging out of his eye sockets looking intently at that face.

Holy cow!

The girl, who seemed to take notice of the sound he made, innocently turned to his direction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Their eyes met dramatically for the first time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.seoul.grand.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-seoul-grand/index.jsp?language=en&src=phd_gh_ppc_google&mckv=HBpL62Rl

I used this site for the hotel information. keke :)))

Today's the day of my last interview for job application.. and guess what?! I did.. well. hehe. I think that's fine for now. Thank God I didn't felt nervous and stuttered in front of the interviewers. xD

Next: Chapter four! :)))