The Jungle without Trees

Love at a Distance (거리에서 사랑)

Chapter 1

 

"Here kitty, kitty, kitty... Yuhooo!."

Oh, Man. Where's AJ this time? He's suppose to have his lunch by now.

 

"Where are you, little thing?"

 

AJ is an American bobtail who's really a playful, friendly, energetic and an extremely intelligent cat. Most of the time, he doesn't need to be instructed to do that and this stuff because he follows some kind'a routine. AJ usually gets up at dawn, roaming around the pet shop as if patrolling every side of it in search for a burglar. He then goes his way to his dining area and eats like there's no tomorrow. His playfulness usually appears everytime -- seeing the other animals doing something, he immediately goes, tries to barge in and does some sort of silly moves to show the audience. His sweet side comes out whenever people (usually pet owners and pet seekers) he thought could bear his personality comes in the shop. AJ has been with him for almost five years already from the day he witnessed the kitty's eomma brought him to life. He then find him so cute then, and decided to ask him from his owner, which is his buddy. And so, that started their loyal friendship. 

Dongho went in and out of his cozy pet shop in search for the missing AJ, but he's nowhere to be found. He then, proceeded to his mini office right at the other end of the shop in front of the main door. And voila! There's this kitty almost reaching the cage he hang just around one and a half meters away from the ground. AJ is a big cat, plus he found a better way to play with the target by stretching his body on the surface of around five books in pile (around 8 inches altogether) so no wonder he almost got the poor pigeon residing in the cage, Eli.

"Oh, no no no.. AJ, stop that, you might hurt Eli", he gets closer extending his arms to get AJ away from the pigeon.

"Meeeoow...meow", AJ stared at him, then gets off Dongho's arms and started himself as if saying Hey, I'm just trying to be friendly here. He smiled at the thought. "Now, AJ.. don't you know what time is it? it's past twelve and you need to put something on that ..." pointing at the cat's belly and added, "..tummy and get yourself full, Arasseo?"

"Ngeeooow.."

"Go outside the office and find your food plate, eat them all, or else..." the boss grins, and the next thing he knew.. "Meow!" The cat left without having a second look. 

He couldn't be happier with his pets around. It's like giving him the energy he needs everyday. He is managing his own pet shop for more than three years now and he loves his life routine, so far. He wakes up, smiles on the mirror, takes a bath, eat up, straighten up for finishing touches, leaves home to the pet shop in his red Jaguar F-type Roadster, and stays for the whole day til six in the evening.

He's 26 but still enjoying his life without attachments. It's not that he dislike relationships, or flings in that matter, but right now, he's more focused on devoting himself expanding his businesses and with his pets alone. Besides, he has high standards for a girlfriend. First, she should be at least 170 cm or 5'4 tall. The girl should also be sweet, caring, understanding, and most of all, beautiful.

Aside from the pet shop, he also manages, with his dad, their family business, the Shin Motors, which has been operating for almost four decades since his grandfather, Shin Ji Soo, established it.  The business has created it's name in South Korea, and now expanding up to the international market.

He stretched his legs and hands on the opposite directions and make a funny yawn while on his swivel chair. He took a glimpse on the big chime clock on the wall in front of him.

8:05 am.

Ahh, too early! Maybe I should've stayed at home for a while. Nah, bad idea, I might've not awaken at all. Perhaps I can go for a ride in the city. Yoo Jin would be here in a while, anyway.

"hmmn ...na na na..la la... hmmmmm.. paparampampam.." He hummed a song he had made up in his mind while reaching for the car keys on the table. He took Eli's cage with him. The poor bird just sat on the thin tube attached inside the cage while seeming to wonder where his boss would take him this time.

Oh, no! Not near AJ and the gang >_<, thought that freaked out the Pigeon.

Dongho walks energetically towards the office door directing him to the wide pet area where his beloved are doing their pieces in such cute ways. He placed the cage where not anyone, especially AJ, could get their fatal claws to Eli.

"Oh, come on buddies! The morning's too great to start animal wars. Easy. Nah, makes you look older, little Jumbo!" he talks as if his two year old healthy bulldog in a spacious dog house could comprehend.

"Now, how are you doing, you sweet, teeny-meeny, Hoony?" the boy in a man's physique's now talking to his all- white furred bunny as if it's a year-old infant. "You miss your mom already? Nonsense. You can consider my pretty eomma yours, too."

The bunny slightly moved his pink nose, eyes still on Dongho.

"Anya, she won't be mad! In fact, she'll be happy to have you as a son." He grinned at his own tease while patting the oblivious bunny's head.

He greeted "everyone" around before proceeding to the exit door. But before he could touch the knob, he finds AJ right before the door as if preventing him to go away.

"Meow."

"Hey, aren't you suppose to eat your breakfast, huh?"

"Meoooooow."

Ah, this cat 'meooows' a lot.

Dongho took AJ by his left arm and glided to the Kitty's dining area. Surprisingly, AJ just finished half of his food. He didn't even touched his water. It isn't like him.

He looked at the cat intently. "Now, what's wrong, Kitty? Hmm. Have you realized you're eating too much since forever and now you're starting to have a diet? Ohmo! Wait, Are you, by any chance, courting a pretty feline on the neighborhood? Oh,I knew it! But, you're still five years old! Nah, too young to be a namjachingu. Tsk tsk."

For a moment, AJ just stared at him as if just realizing how talkative can his boss be.  He yawned. Then, sit on the tiled floor, and in a little while, lay down. 

Dongho, being the cute that he is, tried to wake the sleepy kitty by motioning those tiny legs up and shakes them nonstop. He giggled.

"Oppa Gangnam Style!" He forced the sleepy cat into dancing while singing the lyrics cheerfully.

"Heeey, y lady..hu..ho..huhooo.."

Annoyed, AJ roared his cute roar and tries to bite Dongho's finger playfully. Dongho let out his amused, manly laugh and run around like a youngster causing AJ to go after him and do the "catch me game".

"Hey, what's going on in here? Oppa?" a sweet girl's voice filled in the room.

Just in front of the door stood a pretty girl dressed in simple black and white stripped blouse matched with white skinny jeans. On her face is an intrigued expression of what caused the couple of outrageous fellas to go around like crazy.

"Yoo Jin ah, you're.." Dongho and glanced on his wristwatch in between the laughter while still playing with AJ, "eighteen minutes late!"

"Ya, you only got here on time today and you talk as if I'm the worse person in this shop!" Yoo Jin chuckles while heading towards her table having the jokey say-something-and-i'll-kick-you-out look.

He crinkled his nose noticing the furry thingy under Yoo jin's left armpit.

No, it isn't what you think it is, He sneered at the thought.

Yoo Jin sat behind the attendant's table and placed the furry thing on it.

"Gwiyeopta, isn't she?"

"Wow, A kitty girl! You surely got AJ a perfect yeojachingu.. But where'd you got her?"

"I bought her from your rival pet shop."

"What----?!"

"Nah, aunt gave her the other day. I just thought she might get bored being alone at home, so I brought her here instead. At least AJ and the rest of the cuties we have here will keep her company."

"Yeah, right. And what name should we give her?" He touched his chin and look up to the ceiling like finding a lizard.

"I've already thought of that the day I had her. It's Joycee."

"Nah, how about whisker?"

"Joycee."

"Hmmm.. Kitkat?"

"Joycee."

"Missy."

"Joycee."

"Angel, pleaaase?"

"J-O-Y-C-E-E."

"Fine. Joycee, then."

"Aww! Thanks, Oppa." Yoo Jin joyfully giggled and patted her cousin's head like a dog. "Good boy."

"Duh," Dongho rose his eyeballs like a girl. They laughed together.

 

MEANWHILE...

 

 

 

*OMG! I can't believe I've finished a full chapter :P (I normally gets excited to write stories, but none of them even reached to half of the chapter >__<) Next chapter would be the leading lady's turn~ wehehehe :)))