The Attraction

The Wish

 

Kai's POV 

*Wow look at this ddukbokki!! This whole plate is for me?!! This lady is really nice, but I wonder why she's being nice. I wish I could get some ice cream after, but I don't want to take advantage. She's really pretty too, for a foreigner. She speaks good Korean too. She must've been here for a while. Wait, did she just ask me to stay with her? As in live with her? She's nice but I don't even know her. I wonder if she has a boyfriend, she's so pretty; like an Angel. That's it, maybe she's my Guardian Angel or something.* 

I watched her get up and serve us some water. She had nice dark long hair that was in a half pony-tail. I could see her big eyes through her bangs, she looked so different compared to every girl in Korea. She had long eye lashes and her skin was a little tan and taller than a lot of older women I've seen. My heart started beating fast and I could feel my hands getting a little sweaty, all of a sudden I felt really hot.

*Why am I feeling like this? Am I getting the flu or something? She's coming back!* I looked back down at my ddukbokki and started eating quickly. 

"Here's some water." She said as she placed the cups on the table.

"Thanks." I said politely. I kept my eyes on my food, I didn't want to look at her because my heartbeat was starting to slow down a bit. "Do you want me to live with you?" I asked bringing up the question she asked me before.

"Yes, well only if you want to." She said.

She was so pretty and nice, and I wouldn't have to beg anyone for food or stay out in the cold. 

"Okay, I'll stay with you." I said moving my ddukbokki around my plate. 

"Oh, okay. Great." She said with a smile. We kept eating and she asked me a whole bunch of questions. I wanted to ask her some questions too but I didn't want to seem disrespectful.

"So do you go to school?" She asked curiously. 

"Yea." I said.

"How long have you been on your own?" She asked.

"Two days." I said calmly.

I looked up at her and she just looked at me with this sad face, her eyes were shiny; like she was about to cry or something. My heart started beating fast again so I looked back down and kept eating. I didn't want her to pity me, I knew she didn't feel the same way about me, I mean I'm only a stupid kid. I'm actually kind of glad my parents left. I hated them anyway, always yelling at each other and slamming doors and throwing stuff. I hope I can stay with her for a while. 

 

Your POV 

*Two days?! he's been homeless for two days?!! This poor boy!!* My heart was hurting so much. I was kind of glad that I ran into him like this. I wonder what would've happened to him if I just kept on walking.

"Wow, I finally said, trying not to sound too worried. "Where did you sleep?" I asked. 

"Jimjilbang. My parents gave me 10,000 won before they left. I spent it all yesterday though." he said. Kai finished his food before me and started picking at the Kimchi. After he finished he leaned back and crossed his arms.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say anymore. I wanted to know more but at the same time it would've only made me sadder. I finally finished my ddukbokki and pushed the plate aside. I reached for my purse and took my wallet out. "I'll pay for this so we can go." I went up to the ajumma at the register and handed her the money, when she gave me my change I bowed and thanked her. 

We started walking side by side. He was very mature for his age, I guess he felt that he had to grow up quickly since his parents left him. I kept feeling sympathy for him and I also kept thinking about Valentines day. It was a month away and I was still single. I've been here for a year now and I knew moving here wasn't going to be easy but I didn't think it would be this hard to meet a guy, I guess they're not into foreign girls or something. I guess Kai would be with me for Valentine's day though. *I wonder if I should do something with him, nah that'll probably be weird.* I didn't really think this through when I asked him to live with me. It was a stupid thing to do. *I'm surprised he said yes, I thought he would be afraid that I was a e or something.*

We walked past this store with a TV in the window, it had the news on. I stopped to listen to it. The lady was saying how there was going to be a meteor shower tonight, the first one in 1,200 years. After listening to it for a few minutes we continued walking. I looked up at the sky and saw the full moon, It was so beautiful and bright. We walked in silence for the next four blocks. We turned the corner and finally reach my apartment. 

"Why did you move to Korea?" Kai asked, breaking the silence. 

"Well... my friend came to America from Korea. We became really close and she showed me how wonderful it was here. She taught me some things, from the culture to the food, everything else I just explored on my own. I fell in love with Korea, and I was sick of living in the States; so after years of studying and saving up, I finally moved here and became an English Teacher."

 

Kai's POV

*So she's a Teacher huh, awesome. Now I know something about her. Now I just have to find a way for her to tell me more.*

"Really? Which school do you work at? I asked as we went to the elevator. I was nervous about living with her but I was also happy that I was away from my crazy parents. I hope I never have to see them again, I heard my Dad say something about moving to the States and my Mom said something about staying with her sister, but when it came to me, neither of them wanted to take me. My Dad didn't have money to take me with him and my Mom said she was sick of looking at me because I looked just like my dad. *Some parents I have.*

"I work at this public school a few blocks away." She said as she pressed the button on the elevator. She pressed the 6th floor. 

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Well you can call me Miss Kim." She said.

"Kim? Why do you have a Korean name?" I asked.

"I changed my name before I moved here. I've always liked that last name." She said

"That's my last name." I said. 

"Oh really? Well it is a common last name I'm sure." She said with a smile. 

We got to the 6th floor and I followed behind her as she walked to her apartment. She unlocked the door and went inside. She lived in a nice apartment. I think its called a condo from what my Dad explained. We took our shoes off and walked into the living room.

"Well this is it." She said. "Its pretty small but I'm sure we can manage. "