Human-like.

Sincerely, Your Cupid

Chanhee's POV

I found it a bit odd when L.Joe decided to occupy a vacant seat in the classroom, mostly when that specific seat had been empty for months now. There was a kid who used to sit there, but he had transferred out awhile back. I don't remember the guy much, except for the fact that he was always quiet. Most of the time, no one knew he was there at all. The teacher would mark him absent more times than he should've. I only remember this well because that was when the kid actually talked. To remind the teacher to fix his mistake.

There was one other time he spoke out too...

I can't seem to recall it though.

When the bell struck, allowing everyone to head out to lunch, I remained in the classroom to keep L.Joe company. "How's school so far? You remember anything?"

The cupid issued a brief shrug, "If I ever fell asleep during lessons when I was alive, then I definitely remember doing that." A quiet laugh slipped out from his lips as he settled himself on top of the desk. 

"That's it, huh?" I hummed, pulling his chair out and seating myself in it, "Well we still have everywhere else to travel to. You'll eventually find your memories." As a sign of reassurance, I gave him a gentle pat on his frail shoulder. He was so thin. I wonder if he ever ate at all. At least, when he was able to. 

"You don't have to go through all of that for me. Now that I think about it, regaining my memories is useless. I'll be gone soon anyway." He offered me a faint smile, but his eyes appeared to be in dismay.

As depressing as his words were, it was the reality. I've just been having trouble engraving those words into my head, which is probably why he often reminds me. Could he tell?

"If you're going to give me the love of my life, then I'd like to give you something in return as well." I replied, resting the side of my head on his arm while my eyes traced the outlines of the tiles on the floor.

There was a brief silence before the cupid inhaled sharply, "Thanks for your effort, Chanhee. But that's not how it works anymore." I could sense that he was smiling, trying his best to place the most believable grin on his crooked lips; trying his best to uphold a strong front, but I refused to witness it. I couldn't stand it when he forced himself to wear a smile. 

I was about to reply when another student cracked the door open, taken aback when she spotted me. When I caught a glimpse of her, I immediately held the same expression.

"What are you doing here?" I casually called out to her, ignoring L.Joe's confused glances shifting from me to her, and so forth.

"I'm looking for Mr.Kim. But he's... obviously not here." She let out a forced laugh, "It's been a long time, Chanhee. How come you're here by yourself?"

Just as I parted my lips to tell her I wasn't alone, my head served me justice and I found it better to leave the idea of imaginary cupids out of the conversation, "I was hoping I could manage a nap before next class starts." I lied, laughing at my own excuse. It was then when I noticed her drawing even closer to me. L.Joe's expression was still just as confused as it was when she first arrived.

"You know..." She started, rocking back and forth on her heels as her voice trails off for a moment, "I've... I've missed you."

What.

I raised a brow in question, "Huh?"

Before I could let out any more than that, her arms already folded around my neck, giving me a gentle hug. My body immediately stiffened.

Normally, like any other guy, I'd be completely ecstatic about something like this, but when my gaze landed on L.Joe's expression, the feeling never came up.

The color in his eyes washed away, leaving only hints and traces of distant shadows. His complexion became completely pale; if I didn't know he was cupid, I would've assumed he was either a ghost, or dead. But what really struck me was the way his lips trembled, the way his words scrambled on top of one another to escape, but never found their way out, the way his chest rose with every torn breath, every shredded exhale.

His whole frame appeared to be wasted. Like all of the life left inside of him had been brutally ripped out from his lungs.

And I didn't see his wings anymore. For the first time since he arrived,

I saw a human in him.