CH 21: Sureties and Lies

The Shadow of the Guardians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Loss is a surety

Hope is a lie

Everyone knows

That one will die

 

*************************

 

The fight had finished before dawn had even begun to show signs, and yet everyone was too wired to go back to sleep. They all knew that exhaustion would be welcoming them with open arms the following evening but decided anyway to simply break camp and continue their travel; they still had a long way to go before they reached the Shadow's stronghold. And so they set off, all twelve traveling together for the safety afforded them in the night.

As the first rays of sunlight began to peek over the mountains, Suho montioned for them all to stop. "Let's have a quick breakfast," he said, the first words spoken since they set out. Everyone agreed and set up a quick miniature camp, and soon the eggs were scrambled and cooking over a small fire, the scent making Chanyeol's stomach growl with hunger.

Baekhyun laughed and looked up at him with a mischievous glint in his eyes, long fingers playing with the hem of the taller boy's shirt. "What are you, a wolf, growling at everyone?" He asked teasingly, and Chanyeol grinned back at him without answer.

"I'm cold," the small boy said suddenly, and cuddled into Chanyeol's side to wrap his arms around his waist; the look on the Phoenix's face was priceless as he considered his options before slowly hugging Baekhyun closer.

Rolling his eyes at their silly display, Sehun turned back to rearranging his pack. In the swift breaking of their camp something in his pack had become dislodged, and with every step for the past several hours it had poked him in the back, earning a small bruising area near his hip. He would never inconvenience everyone else and ask to stop, but now that they had a moment's break he was going to take full advantage of it. Pulling out the offending object, he gave the thick book a dark glare before trying to find a new place in his pack for it where it wouldn't be such a pain in the... hip.

"Why in the world did you bring that?" He heard, and looked up to see LuHan standing above him holding two small bowls containing breakfast. Sehun's stomach gave a low rumble and he gratefully accepted the proffered bowl with a small smile. LuHan settled down next to him, but made sure to give Sehun's pack a pointed look, reminding the Raven of his question. 

"Oh, uh..." Sehun started, then paused while trying to decided t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter