CH 13: Hope In Light

The Shadow of the Guardians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The Light will break through and give us hope."

-A mantra repeated by inhabitants of Earth

 

*************************

 

They only took a short time to rest up; The Shadow was surely gearing up for an attack and they couldn’t know when to expect it. So about and hour after Kris had slammed the door, Kyungsoo stood to his feet and popped his knuckles in the air in front of him. Baekhyun shivered at the hated sound but like everyone else, trained his eyes on the Snake. He was their only hope. Kai had tried to teleport several times with no success; he couldn’t teleport through the ground and it was effectively blocking his ability.

Kyungsoo moved hesitantly over to the wall opposite the door, as far from the hallway as possible, and placed a hand on the sturdy wooden beams there. He stayed in that position for a moment before asking for someone to remove the wood as it was in his way, and with no further asking Xiumin simply walked over and used his strength to rip the beams out in a matter of moments. Dirt and dust filtered through the air, causing everyone to shield their eyes from the particles and turn their faces away as Kyungsoo started his tunnel.

It took a while; it wasn’t such a simple matter as moving Earth out of the way. There was nowhere else for it to go, and so he would use his ability to push the Earth in front of him into a compacted ball and drop it back to the side. He could only go about half a foot a minute, and so it was nearly four hours of the painstaking process, sweat running down his face and dripping off of his nose as he focused fully on creating their getaway. Baekhyun stood only right behind him, a small globe of light in his hand so that Kyungsoo could see his work, and the others followed closely behind, wary glances behind them as they climbed the freshly made tunnel to safety. Kris and Suho brought up the rear, making sure everyone could keep up and that they weren’t yet being attacked.

Baekhyun observed the boy in front of him, tension in the lines of his back as he pushed his will against the solid mass of Earth in front of them. He couldn’t help but feel both amazed at Kyungsoo’s powers and yet pity for the boy… he was the only one having to work so hard and exhaust himself. Yet, anyway. Baekhyun had the feeling that there would be a fight waiting for them when they emerged from the tunnel; The Shadow was everywhere and it was sure to know where they had gone.

He sighed and glanced behind him yet again, taking in the tired eyes of their only healer as Lay struggled to make the climb. They had been taken by surprise back in the hidden room, and more than half of them had been injured before they truly realized what was going on and fought back. Lay had to heal them all several times over just to keep them alive and the toll on the healer was showing in the true exhaustion on his face. He kept up, though, a grim determination in the lines of his jaw and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter