Best of Friends

Love In The Ice

 

*When are you going to wake up to reality, Maki?" Yuya stared at his best friend as she cried over another man who left her.
 
"You don't understand." She sobbed.
 
"I know everything about you, Maki. What don't I understand? I have always been telling you that that guy was a total jerk."
 
"Can't you just make things sound better?"
 
"Sorry, I can't help it. He really was a jerk." He sighed. "Maki-chan is really sad, isn't she?" He looked at the girl leaning on his shoulder. She nodded. "Shall we get some ice cream?" He saw her smile at his childishness but he never failed to make her smile. "Last one gets to reach the shop treats the other." He laughed then started running.
 
"Hey! Don't you dare cheat, Tegoshi Yuya!!!" She then stood up and went after her boyfriend.
 
 
---------------------
 
 
See that scene above? That has always been my role in Maki-chan's life. We have been best friends ever since grade school and to tell you the truth, I know every little detail about her life. I am her punching bag, her pillow, her comforter. But as you see, she only takes me as a friend and nothing else.It's really fine for me but of course it would occasionally hurt. Especially when I see her crying over another man.
 
 
"Teddy~" Maki-chan called me. Don't laugh. She has given me that nickname since she said I looked like her first teddy bear. And, yes, she would just hug me and tell me I'm the best teddy bear she ever had.
 
"You want some ice cream, Maki-chan?" I smiled brightly at her.
 
"Is my teddy bear sad today?" She looked at me.
 
"Oh, me? Of course not! I'm just a little stressed... I want to loosen up a little." If only she knew how much I liked her.
 
"Hey, are you sure you want some ice cream? I feel like treating you to that new Ramen House." Ramen? That would be great!!!
 
 
I did not have to say anything since my bestfriend knew me enough. She dragged me to that restaurant. But I just wished I hadn't agreed to come with her.
 
"Yuya-kun. I would like you to meet Jun-kun." She smiled as the guy who she just introduced kissed her. Yes, it tore me to peices. "He owns this restaurant and he was really excited to see you."
 
"Oh. That's... great." I forced a smile.
 
"Uh, hey, I'm Matsumoto Jun. It's nice to meet you, Teddy." The guy smiled ridicculously at me.
 
"Don't call me by that name. You barely know me, Jun-kun." I was smiling as we exchanged glares.
 
"Stop it, you two. We'll have the house's speciatly, Jun-kun." She smiled sweetly at the guy.
 
 
"I don't like him, Maki-chan." I whispered as Jun walked to the kitchen.
 
"You'll get used to him, Teddy."
 
"He looks like a jerk."
 
"Come on, Yuya-kun. He's better than all the others, I promise." She used her puppy-eyes on me.
 
I sighed and she giggled. "Stop using that technique on me, Maki-chan."
 
"Why? But it never fails." She whined.
 
Because it makes me like you more. I thought.
 
"Your ramen is... served." Jun put down two large bowls of noodles in front of us.
 
 
After eating, we had a small chat. There, I found out that Jun was a couple of years older than Maki-chan and he was a son of a very rich cook. Well, that was how he described his father. Anyway, he said that Maki-chan was his second girlfriend and he was hoping that she'd be his last. And to tell you the truth, he didn't seen to be an honest man. With his looks, I bet that he has other girls other than my lovely Maki-chan.
 
"I think we should talk alone, Maki-chan." I stood up and looked at my best friend.
 
"This is important, Jun-kun. I'll see you tomorrow." She said sweetly at the man and kissed him on the cheek. It really made me jealous watching her kiss him. Yes, she kisses me on the cheek too but that meant only friendship between us.
 
 
"Yuya-kun, please don't have him investigted this time." She said as she handed me a cup of ice cream. Yes, I have always been the one to find out the truth behind her boyfriends. And she would always have to break up with them.  "I really like Jun-kun and I don't think I can leave him."
 
"You always say that everytime you have a boyfriend."
 
"I'm serious this time." She sighed. "I you do that, I'm afraid I have to stay away from you."
 
"Maki-chan... I'm just trying to protect you."
 
"But you're not my father, Yuya-kun." She looked at me. "As my bestfriend, can you promise to support me in this relationship, Yuya-kun?"
 
I sighed. How can I not when our friendship is at stake? A smile slowly grew on Maki-chan's face. Really, the two of us can understand each other even without words. 
 
"You know, you're cruel. Using that method on me is quite heartless, Maki-chan." I chuckled.
 
"Is there any other way to convince you?"
 
"I'm afraid none." I s my arm around her shoulder. "Well, as long as my bestfriend is happy, I'll support her. But here's the deal, don't tell me I didn't warn you about that guy, okay?"
 
"Here we go again, Teddy." She leaned on my shoulder.
 
"Seriously, he looks like a womanizer."
 
"Stop it, Teddy."
 
"Sure, sure... but he really looks like..."
 
"I said stop it."
 
"Oh, alright, miss PMS."
 
"Don't call me by that name, Tegoshi Yuya." She glared me. Oh, if only looks could kill, I would've died a few seconds ago. She never liked me calling her that name. But it was really fun pissing her off at times. "Don't smile lake that. You look like a fool." She hit my forehead.
 
"Hey, that's a foul." I grumbled,
 
"You started it." She giggled.
 
"Oh, you want to play that game, huh?" I had a mocking smile on my face.
 
"Yah, Tegoshi Yuya, that's scary. What are you planning...?"
 
"This." I smeared some ice cream on her face, kissed her cheek then ran away.
 
"Hey!!! Don't you dare run away from me!" She was burning with fury as she chased me around in circles.
 
 
"You're slow, Maki-chan." I panted as I lay on the grass on the riverbank. Maki-chan was beside me, catching her breath.
 
"Shut up. You just move fast because you're small."
 
"If I am small then should I call you a midget, Maki-chan?" I laughed.
 
"Stop making fun of me."
 
"But you keep on starting it."
 
"That's it. I won't talk to you again."
 
"Oh, I don't think that'll last for a minute." I chuckled. "I'll start counting... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5..."
 
"Shut up, Yuya."
 
"I knew it. It wouldn't even last for ten seconds." I laughed. "Hey, look at that cloud. Doesn't it look a little like a teddy bear?" I pointed at the cloudn that was passing above us.
 
"And that looked like a rabbit." She pointed at the cloud beside it.
 
"Hey, since you call me teddy most of the time, shall I call you bunny?"
 
"Why?"
 
"Just look at those two clouds. They're so close together. It looks like they're bestfriends too." I smiled.
 
"You're childish."
 
"But that's what you like about me, Bunny-chan."
 
She sighed. "Thank you so much, Teddy."
 
"Why are you thanking me?"
 
"I don't know. Just... thank you." She then closed her eyes.
 
 
I sent my bestfriend home before heading to the hospital. I haven't told Maki but I have been diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease. The doctor said that I have only until fall to live. Depressing as it seems, but nobody knows about it yet. I have to keep it a secret. I don't want anybody pitying me.
 
"Tegoshi-san?" The nurse called me. I followed her into the doctor's room. I took a deep breath and waited for what the doctor had to say.
 
"Yuya... you have to take your meds on time." He started.
 
"I was, uh, busy these past few days... gomen." Truthfully, I didn't really want to take the medications anymore. I was going to die anyway.
 
"Please, your heart's health is not that good today. You should refrain from doing stressful things."
 
"But that's part of my life, doc."
 
"Doesn't your family know about this?"
 
"Iie. Gomen nasai."
 
"You should tell them, Tegoshi-san."
 
"I will. Someday." I then bid farewell and headed home.
 
 
Maki-chan was busy with Jun the rest of the week. She went out with that bum every single day. And Jun wouldn't even care if I was with her when he's asking her out. What a jerk. Since I can't relax while my bestfriend is in the hands of that er, I hired an investigator to check on his personality. Yes, I know I promised Maki-chan, but I really had the feeling that he's cheating on her.
 
"Tegoshi-san, I can't investigate on this person." The investigator called me.
 
"Is something wrong Yamaguchi-san?"
 
"He's the son of the Matsumoto clan. They're one of the powerful yakuzas."
 
"But, aren't you from the highest yakuza clan?"
 
"I am. But I can't ruin trusts between yakuzas, Tegoshi-san. I hope you understand." He then hung up.
 
 
I knew something was fishy about him. I have to tell Maki-chan. But, I promised not to investigate on him. I might lose our friendship if I tell her. But she's in danger. I really can't...
 
"Teddy!" I heard a crying voice call me.
 
"Bunny-chan? What happened?" I embraced her. She was shaking underneath me.
 
"J...Jun-kun..."
 
"Did you two break up?" I asked, her hair.
 
"He was taken by a black car."
 
"Don't you think that it might be his father?"
 
"What do you know about him, Yuya?" She stopped crying and glared at me. I stared back at her in silence. "You promised..."
 
"B..but I was uneasy, Maki-chan. He's the son of the yakuza, Maki-chan. You're in danger if you still get in touch with him."
 
"Nani..?"
 
"Look, I know it's hard to comprehend... but please, Maki-chan. I don't want you to be in danger," I took her hands in mine and held onto it.
 
 
No, our friendship id not end there. Instead, it became stronger. A few days later, Jun broke up with her saying that he has to stay by his father side. It didn't hurt Maki-chan that much and for the first time, she didn't cry after a break-up.
 
"Hey, have you heard the news?" Maki-chan jumped excitedly.
 
"You're over-reacting. Wht is it?"
 
"TVXQ is coming to Japan!"
 
"Didn't they come here already?" Maki is a great fan of that boy band. She would sometimes babble about how great their dancing and voices are. And how they are the greatest boy band in the world.
 
"I mean, they're having a concert here in Toky!" She squealed.
 
"Oh. Wow. That's great." I replied dryly.
 
"That's AMAZING! Can we watch, Teddy? Please say yes~" She clung to my arm and, again, used theso beautiful puppy eyes of hers.
 
"Fine. I'll go with you." I sighed
 
"YAY! THANK YOU SO MUCH, TEDDY!" She embraced me hard enough to cause diffuculty in breathing.
 
 
The concert will be held at an auditorium and only a few people could watch. I had to bribe the ticket person to give me two tickets just to get in. Really, if it wasn't for my best friend, I wouldn't watch these guys. I even look better than most of them.
 
 
"Hurry up, Teddy!" Maki-chan was literally dragging me towards the auditorium. A lot of people were gathered outside. Most of them were wearing red shirts and carrying red lights. Some were even raising their fan boards.
 
I felt a sting on my chest. No, it can't happen today. "I am running here. And a lot of girls are chaotic enough to trip me, Bunny-chan." I gasped for air.
 
 
After a little more struggle with the sea of fangirls, we finally reached the auditorium's entrance,
 
"Finally, there's air." I sighed.
 
"Uh, hello." A korean with crooked japanese greeted us. His hair was long and his voice was girly.
 
"JaeJoong-ah!" Another korean called him. He had short hair and his voice was low just like a grown-up man.
 
"I'll be there in a sec!" The one called JaeJoong shouted back. "Uh, hey. The ticket lady tole me that you were the one who payed double just to get tickets, right?"
 
"Uh, yeah. It's because my bestfriend was a big fan of TVXQ." I answered. Why would he care in the first place?
 
"Oh, well, thank you for doing that. And, as a thank you gift, you two can come to the backstage later." He gave me two backstage passes then turned around.
 
"Uh, ch...chotto. Are you a member of the band?"
 
"Uh, hai."
 
"Can I ask a favor instead?"
 
"Sure."
 
 
I went inside after talking to JaeJoong. "What took you so long?"
 
"A lot of people were in the comfort room." I lied.
 
"I didn't know men would take too much time when they're in the comfort room. Perhaps.... are you gay, Teddy?"
 
"WHAT?!" I glared at Maki-chan who was laughing uncontrollably. "Not. Funny."
 
"Oh, come on. If you only saw your reaction... it was PRICLESS." She laughed harder.
 
"Whatever, Maki." I pouted.
 
"I'm sorry." She said between breaths. "I was just joking." She poked my cheek.
 
 
When the group started to sing, Maki seemed to lose all morality in her and she just screamed there like a overly-obsessed fangirl. She was chanting along with the other fans. My head felt like it would explode because of the high-pitched screaming of all the girls.
 
 
 
After a few more hours, the concert finally ended. The fangirls were still screaming endlessly and was asking for more but the lights were already on.
 
"Let's go home." I pulled Maki-chan out of the crazed auditorium to the rooftop og the builing.
 
"I thought we're going home."
 
"I just have to show you something." I then raised my hand and checked if the boys were already there. A light then shone on us and the five boys that Maki-chan adores so much cme in.
 
"Konbanwa, Maki-chan." JaeJoong greeted her. She stood there, her jaw hanging and not believing what she was seeing.
 
"You see, Yuya-kun here, asked us a favor for his bestfriend." Another long-haired man said as he put his arm on JaeJoong's shoulder. "Let's start?" The other boys nodded then started singing.
 
 
"Shall I?" He held out his hand and danced with Maki-chan.
 
Tsumetai sono te kimi so seijanai
Osanaki hibi hotta kizukakae
 
JaeJoong then passed Maki to the short-haired member.
 
Dareka wo aiseru koto osoruteru no
Kotoba no uragawa se wo mukete
 
He then passed her to the member whom I believe to be Micky YooChun.
 
Dakishimeta kokoro ga koori no you ni
Sotto tokedasu
 
Daremo ga dare ka ni aisereru tameni
Kono you ni inochi wa kiramekaseru no sa
 
The always-smiling member started to twirl Maki-chan into waltz circles.
 
Sore ga moshimo boku nara
Mou ichido kimi no kokoro wo
Towa no yashashisa de atatameruyo
 
The one whom I believe the leader then smiled and danced with her.
 
Unmei no itazura
 
Kokoro wo itametemo
 
Sono namida no saki ni wa
 
Hitosuji no hikari ga
 
Yami no naka maiorite
 
Bokura wa kizukusa
 
The five members the gathered around us, one of them pushing me to dance with Maki-chan.
 
"Can I?" I smiled at her. She took my hand and started to sway.
 
Kurushii hodo ni tsuyoku kanji ya eru
Hito no nukumori
 
Daremo ga motteru kanashimi ya kodoku
Iyae moraeru basho saqaeiru
Sou kimini wa sono basho ga koko ni arusa osorenaide
Mou mayowanaide
Boku ya mamoru
 
Setsuani hodo
(My Heart)
Utsukushii ai dakara
(Don't be afraid)
Hakanai hodo
(Let u know my mind)
Uruwa shii
(U know...)
Kono toki wo
(Let you know my love)
 
The first snow started to fall. I smiled as I pulled Maki-chan closer.
 
Daremo ga dare ka ni aisereru tameni
Kono you ni inochi wa kiramekaseru no sa
Sore ga moshimo boku nara
Mou ichido kimi no kokoro wo
Towa no yashashisa de atatameruyo
 
 
"We should thank them." I whispered as the song finally ended. She nodded then we faced the band.
 
"You two look good together." JaeJoong smiled.
 
"Hyung, I'm jealous." The smiling guy nudged JaeJoong.
 
"Shut it, Su." He then smiled at us.
 
"Uh,. JaeJoong-san. I really want to thank you for granting my wish." I bowed.
 
"That's nothing. Well, we better leave you two alone to have some time alone, eh?" He smiled then told the other men to go back into the building.
 
 
 
"Oh. My. Gosh. Was. I. Dreaming.?" Maki was still breathless.
 
"No, Bunny-chan." Pulled her so that she was facing me. "Everything that's happening is real. Even this." I leaned in to kiss her. I felt my chest sting again. "Gomen nasai." I pulled away.
 
"T...Teddy-kun..." She stared at me.
 
My knees weakened and I stumbled forward. Maki-chan catched me. "I... was going to tell... you... but... I was afraid, Maki-chan..." I gasped.
 
"W...what's happening to you, Yuya?"
 
"Ai...shi...teru, Maki-chan..." I then out.
 
 
 
I woke up with a white light shining above me. "Where am I?"
 
"Teddy-kun. Are you alright now?"
 
"Oh." It already loaded in me that I am in the hospital. "I screwed up, didn't I?"
 
"Why didn't you tell me?"
 
"Gomen nasai." My chest stung again. I clutched it. "I didn't want you to be worried. And, I don't want your answer to be coming from pity, Maki-chan."
 
"Bakero." Tears started to fall from Maki-chan's eyes. "You should've told me. So I was able to take care of you." She sobbed.
 
"Gomen nasai, gomen nasai." I tried to reach out for her but my chest started to sting so much. "No." I gasped for air. "Gomen nasai, Maki-chan. Aieru." I then let the numbness take over my body.
 
 
 
---------------------------------------
 
 
 
Maki sat on a rock beside the river, holing a small bottle filled with ashes. "You know, Teddy, I'm leaving for America tomorrow. How are you now? Are you feeling any better?" She wiped a tear. "Aieru, Yuya, aieru." She then kissed the bottle and attatched to to her necklace. "I'll start anew for you, Yuya-kun" She then stood up and slowly walked towards her car.
 
 
==========================================================================
 
I know it's to fast-paced. But, yeah, it's still a one shot. Oh, please do comment~ Thank you!
 
Thank you for reading!