36

Forbidden Boys

 

 

She’d barely managed to step out on the sidewalk before a hand latched onto hers and spun her around. The action surprised her for she hadn’t expected either of them to head after her, especially not Sehun, who now stood before her. His face set in a scowl.


“I think you took something that’s mine.” Eunbi blinked, she was supposed to act like she had no idea what he was talking about. An ordeal that sort of failed as the older male pulled her closer and much to Eunbi’s shock, shoved his hand into the pockets of her jacket. How he’d realised she’d taken his wallet was beyond her, but she was nonetheless unhappy about it. She’d been certain she would be able to eat, something that seemed impossible now, after Sehun retrieved his wallet. He didn’t yell at her though, nor did he show any signs of anger as he shoved it down the pocket of his jeans. It unnerved Eunbi, who’d thought he would throw a fit.


“Please buy me food.” it wasn’t an ideal situation and she hated to ask him. Then again, he was partly responsible for her lack of money after the whole tv incident that resulted with Eunbi losing all her monthly allowance, which now meant she didn’t have anything to buy food with. That her mother and stepfather forgot to give them money was also a problem. But Eunbi couldn’t care less about them for the time being as the only thing running through her mind was to satisfy her hunger. It wasn’t exactly that simple however, since Sehun seemed to ponder her request.


“Why would I do that?” great. Her only hope had been Sehun, who now acted like she was the biggest criminal of the century. And to ask Luhan was completely out of the question and something she’d never do. Hell, she’d rather go to bed hungry than to ask him for a favor.


“You stole my wallet. Remember?” maybe. But hopefully he’d understand and realise why she’d done it in the first place. He didn’t of course, as he continued with the same subject and told her how she couldn’t just take stuff. He also said something about how his belongings were important and incredibly valuable. Eunbi hadn’t really listened to his rant since her stomach pains sidetracked her and thereby caused the said girl to think of other things. Such as food. All she wanted was to eat. Nothing more. Nothing less. Eunbi’s patience were running out pretty fast though, and she decided after a short while to head off. She would find another way to feed herself.


“Okay. Fine.” Sehun wasn’t the slightest thrilled and he’d rather not have to bother with the younger girl. But the stakes had changed and though he didn’t like it, he couldn’t just let her go. Not at that time of the day. Eunbi paid no attention to such things however. Mainly because she felt safe wandering the streets and had never encountered any problems when doing so. Not in Seoul and not in Daegu. Therefore did she hurry down the sidewalk and towards the bus stop a few hundred meters from their house, and it wasn’t until she stood there, waiting, that she found herself look back to see if Sehun was following. She’d momentarily forgotten all about him, and even though he said nothing when he caught up, she could see he was annoyed. Whether it was due to the whole situation itself or simply because she’d walked off without him, she didn’t know. And Eunbi was not going to ask either for she wanted no part in his problems, as she had more than enough of them already. In fact, none of them said a single word, and it took ten minutes until Sehun, after he’d noticed they were heading for Hongdae, to speak.


“Can’t we go somewhere else?” he’d rather stay away from there seeing how he didn’t show up for work like he should’ve. Eunbi was firm with her decision though, and shook her head. She wanted to go there, as it was a place she’d come to love more and more during the past six months. The reason for her overwhelming love was mainly the youthful ambience, one she hadn’t really experienced back in Daegu. Moreover, she loved the countless amount of cafes, restaurants and street vendors. The variety of food was endless and Eunbi felt water at the thought of finally being able to eat. That Sehun looked uneasy as they stepped off the bus a few moments later was something she didn’t care too much about. Eunbi thought nothing more of it either and instead urged the older male to hurry.


“Why must you rush?” Sehun frowned, looked over at the other side of the road, and made sure no one saw him. The last thing he wanted was to attract attention. An ordeal that would be hard if Eunbi continued with her act. He had to get her to shut up and not run around like a person who needed their next fix. The said girl motioned with gestures and told Sehun several times to not take such time. That she’d practically yelled his name numerous times made him rather irritated and he quickened his step, slapped a hand over , and dragged her further down the street and in the other direction of where the club was located. Sehun’s action was so unlike him that he himself felt surprised, and Eunbi seemed to be as well, for she spun on her heel and faced him once he’d let go.


“Why did you do that?” her heart was beating incredibly fast all of a sudden. She understood why even though she guessed the more part of the terror she’d felt had something to do with Luhan and the fear he’d imprinted in her. It’d been a constant horror of hers that he would do the exact same thing one day. The only difference being that Luhan wouldn’t have let her go.


“Because you were being ing annoying.” Eunbi scoffed at him, the previous feeling of anxiousness slowly slipping away. The way his behaviour could change in the split of a second was a mystery. The same with how he voiced his words and made it sound so harsh. Sehun was someone whose demeanor were incomprehensible, and it was far from the first time she found herself perplexed by him. It’d even come to a certain point where she began to question his personality and whether he suffered from multiple personality disorder. He could be approachable and sensible one minute, only to be rough and ill-mannered the next. His constant change made it somewhat difficult to comprehend and take in at times.


“Are you going to eat or not?” Sehun stared down at her, his expression just as unreadable as usual. Eunbi cleared and regained her composure before she spun around and began to head forward. A smile grew on her lips as she glanced left and right in search for the perfect place to eat at. One she found quite fast and after having made sure with Sehun, the two of them stepped inside the Italian restaurant. A waitress greeted them in an instant and motioned for them to take a seat, which Eunbi had no problem doing seeing how hungry she was. Sehun on the other hand, was more hesitant as he let his gaze scan the surroundings. He didn’t want to risk getting noticed and therefore remarked Eunbi’s choice of table as soon as he saw she’d placed herself down next to a window. He could easily be seen from outside if someone were to walk by.


“Couldn’t you have chosen another table?” he latched onto her wrist and without a second thought, pulled her over to another table further in. It was slightly hidden, not only from everyone in the restaurant. But also impossible to see from outside. The new seats eased his mind considerably.


“What’s wrong with you all of a sudden?” Eunbi paused, stared down at their hands, and then glanced up to meet his eyes, “and I think you can let go of my hand now.” Sehun did as told, and though anyone else would’ve been embarrassed, he wasn’t. Sure, the gesture could be seen as intimate and a show of affection, something often displayed between two lovers. But Sehun had no such thoughts. He hadn’t harbored romantic feelings for anyone in over two years, and it was going to stay that way. Having a girlfriend was overrated and one of the things Sehun could do without.


“I don’t like people watching me eat.” the excuse was poor and he knew by the way Eunbi glared at him that she thought he was lying. Whatever her thoughts were, they were left unspoken, for the same waitress who’d greeted them earlier interrupted. The woman handed them a menu and then asked what they wanted to drink. A question easily answered since Eunbi had already decided what to order. Sehun had not, and something he made very clear as he told the waitress to come back in five minutes.


“Why didn’t you let me order?” Eunbi was far from pleased.


“Because I haven’t decided.” and because it’s rude to let the them run back and forth with drinks and food, he added in his mind. More so if it’s just one drink or one dish at a time. So when the waitress returned minutes later, they were both ready to give their orders. Eunbi settled with a coke and pasta carbonara whilst Sehun decided on water and lasagne. The latter of the two weren’t too fond of Italian food and would’ve rather wanted her to have chosen another place to eat at. But he’d let it pass due to the simple fact that he believed he owed her that much considering she’d taken the blow for the broken tv.


The meal itself was eaten in complete silence. Mostly because none of them had anything to say and Eunbi was quite content with that. Sehun appreciated the silence as well, for he was tired and completely worn out after the commotion that’d taken place at school earlier that day. Honestly, Sehun had almost thought it’d been a joke when he was cornered in the schoolyard during lunch. The three males that’d showed up when he smoked all laughed and asked whether he thought he was tough for smoking. Sehun hadn’t answered, he hadn’t as much as given them any sort of acknowledgement, something that obviously ticked them off for he received quite the punch to his stomach. The ordeal had caused his cigarette to slip from his lips. And that’d been enough to tick him off. The result; one broken nose, countless of bruises and lots of blood. None were Sehun’s though. Not the broken nose. Not even a single bruise or an ounce of blood were his. The only thing he got was an hour of detention for inappropriate behaviour.


And whilst Sehun’s mind were occupied by that, Eunbi’s were busy thinking about the school trip that’d taken place three months ago. She’d been sidetracked after having thought of the family meeting and Luhan’s incredibly smart idea to bring alcohol along. More importantly. There were one incident with the trip that she couldn’t really understand. How Sehun ended up getting lost?


“Can I ask you something?” Sehun looked up from his food, for once feeling relieved over having been interrupted, as he had a hard time eating. The dish was truly not to his liking and he almost wished he’d forced Eunbi to choose another restaurant.


“What?”


“On the school trip. Why did you show up at that cabin? she’d seen him together with Yuna that day. How the two of them paired up for the scavenger hunt. Eunbi could still remember how surprised she’d been by his appearance, because to her, it hadn’t really made any sense. More so since he seemed to have quite a good sense of direction. All in all, Eunbi thought he should’ve been able to find his way back if he got lost.


“Why do you want to know?” Sehun watched as she shrugged her shoulders and then told him she wanted to know out of curiosity.


“Because. I mean, you went with Yuna and -.” Eunbi tensed when he decided to cut her off, for he spoke through gritted teeth. He was obviously upset as he explained how the whole scavenger hunt was a ing joke and nothing more than a way for the teachers to get rid of the students for a while. Eunbi was far from stupid though, she knew there was something else beside that. It wasn’t like she hadn’t seen the way Yuna behaved around him, how the other girl always seemed to be where he was. But whatever it was, Eunbi decided to let it go. The need to know no longer important as she grasped onto the fork and continued to eat.


Half an hour or so later, they stepped out on the street and into the crowd of people. The temperature had dropped even more and Eunbi shivered. It was cold, cold, cold, and she shoved her hands into her pockets, only to frown when it helped little. Why hadn’t she brought her gloves with her? The frown on her face grew wider after she noticed the pair of gloves Sehun took out from his own pocket. Eunbi envied him then and there. She felt jealous and had to fight the urge of reaching out and take them as they continued to walk down the street and in the direction of the bus stop they’d stepped off at. With her attention completely on the gloves, Eunbi forgot to look where she was going and would’ve, if it hadn’t been for Sehun, run right into a light pole.


“Are you blind? Can’t you watch were you’re going?” he tugged at her wrist, one he’d wrapped his glove covered hand around during the past minute. The fabric eased some of the cold and Eunbi didn’t care too much when he ordered her to walk faster. That until she spotted a certain male up front, who walked next to another familiar person. And it didn’t take long before the two saw Sehun and Eunbi, the latter blushed as Yixing’s gaze found hers. But the person who spoke first was, not so shockingly, Tao.


“Are you looking forward to your date with Yixing on Friday?” Tao winked at her before his gaze fell upon Sehun, whose expression were hard and displayed nothing but annoyance. Tao however, simply smiled, something that only irritated Sehun further and thereof caused him to tug at Eunbi’s hand once more. The said girl paid no attention to him though, and instead let her focus lay on Yixing, whose cheeks sported a faint pink color. It seemed, by the looks of it, that he was just as flustered by Tao’s words as she was.


“He’s joking.” Yixing said and Eunbi’s heart fluttered at the shy smile he sent her way. Sehun was not quite as happy and gripped even harder onto the younger girl’s hand. They should be heading home already, considering the fact that it was just an hour left until midnight and there was school in the morning. Sehun knew deep within that all that was complete bull. He couldn’t care less about which time of the day they got home or whether they had to show up for school the next day. All he did care about was to get the hell out of there. He didn’t like Tao, he didn’t like Kai, and he sure as hell did not like Yixing. Ahbin was somewhat okay even though a small part of him had a hard time accepting her, too.


“We’re going now.” Sehun pulled at her hand yet again, and thereby caused her to move forward. The action took her by surprise and she turned her head to stare at him. He spared her one glance, one, before he looked straight ahead and forced her along. Eunbi let her gaze flicker back to Yixing and Tao, who both stared at her and Sehun.


“I’ll see you in school.” she gave the two a small smile, as if reassuring the two males it was okay.


“Why did you do that? Couldn’t you see I was talking to them?” Eunbi snapped at him once they were out of view. She was upset and tried to make him let go of her hand. It was all in vain though, for he only tightened his hold.


“Because I’m tired and I want to sleep. Something you should be doing as well.”