31

Forbidden Boys

 

 

Loud cheers could be heard throughout the swim arena as another race started, and Eunbi glanced up from what she was doing to catch a glimpse of who was in the lead. The males going about swam their fastest and Eunbi watched in fascination as they finished the fifty meter race. The whole morning had been filled with preliminary heats, all of them were over pretty quickly though, with the exception of the more longer races. It was a festive atmosphere to say the least, and she found herself enjoying the job more than she’d expected. She’d received a quick lesson in how to work the snack bar and the cash register when they’d arrived earlier that morning. And so far, everything worked perfectly. Then again, there was another girl, Yoori, working together with Eunbi, someone who had previous experience with the job and therefore helped out if she needed help.


“Excuse me.” Eunbi’s gaze settled on the person before her, only to feel her stomach constrict in uneasiness as she saw Yuna stand there. The other girl looked mildly happy, almost irritated to see Eunbi, an ordeal that showed once she spoke again, “give me a bottle of water and a hamburger without ketchup.” she took the order and moved about to get it ready, frying the hamburger and arranging the vegetables on the patties. The job of doing so were constantly interrupted by Yuna, who came with snarky comments every other minute. The other girl wanted Eunbi to hurry up, saying that she didn’t have all day. Much to Eunbi’s relief, Yoori decided to in, “you won’t get your order faster just because you stress her.” they’d known each other for a couple of hours and yet, Yoori was defending her, which was a nice change knowing how that didn’t happen often. “So? She could still work faster.” how in the world would that be possible when there was nothing she could do? Eunbi couldn’t increase the heat on the stove and thereby fry the hamburger faster. It was already set on the highest setting. None of that mattered to Yuna though, and Eunbi was glad when the annoying girl left after she’d received her hamburger and water bottle. Yoori was equally happy, “I don’t understand people like that. Thinking that things will go faster if they complain about it.” Eunbi watched as her partner shook her head.


The day flowed on without any further mishaps and before she knew it, Kai and Yixing were about to race their heat. Unfortunately, the said girl wasn’t allowed to leave the kiosk and could therefore not watch from the sidelines like she’d wanted. Still, it was a decent view from where Eunbi stood and she began to feel nervous as the two males got up on the starting block. To make it even more nerve racking, she’d heard that only the ones finishing first and second would be qualified for the final later that evening. Yoori must’ve seen the way she acted for she spoke, “are your boyfriend competing?” Eunbi, completely overwhelmed by the words, turned to stare at the other girl, “what? No.” she shook her head, as if to strengthen the claim, “I don’t even have a boyfriend.” there was a loud ‘pang’, and in haste did she turn her attention back to the water and the bodies now making their way forward. It was a bit hard to see who was in which place since they were swimming so fast. “Come on, come on.” Eunbi chanted quietly to herself, thus hoping the luck would be on their side today. A sudden voice tore her from the sight and she looked over at the person who’d cleared his throat. “Could I get a coke and a bottle of water.” her responsibilities went before the race, something Eunbi understood even though she’d wished she could’ve gotten these few minutes to watch Yixing and Kai. “Yeah.” the girl worked fast, believing she would be able to watch the end of the race if she finished the order in a hurry. It didn’t exactly work that way, for more people arrived and placed their orders, thus giving Eunbi no time to follow the two males.


The rush of people didn’t end for quite a while and Eunbi heaved a sigh of relief after lunch, since she was given a short break to get something to eat and refuel her energy. But she couldn’t leave the kiosk in case Yoori needed backup. It’d been a strict rule and one she had to follow. She stress ate the hamburger she’d prepared, only to gulp it down with half a bottle of water, and that before she returned to her tasks. There were still six hours left until the day would come to an end, six hours Eunbi couldn’t say she was looking forward to all too much.


“Eunbi could you come, there’s someone here looking for you.” the said girl headed over in an instant, only to feel her heart thump a little faster when she saw all three of them, Yixing, Kai, and Tao standing there. She blushed when Yixing flashed her a smile, one that was followed by a question, “is everything going alright?” Eunbi smiled, gave him a slight nod, and said, “yeah. It’s okay. What about you?” the question was directed at the three of them as she was interested in knowing how it’d gone in the heats. “We’re in the finals.” Tao declared with glee. “All of you?” there was a hint of surprise in her voice. Maybe because she’d never before seen them swim and therefore didn’t know the level of their skills. “Is that so hard to believe?” she wasn’t going to answer that. Though, on the contrary, her silence had Kai reacting, “ouch. I’m offended.” Eunbi scoffed playfully, “sorry?” it wasn’t much of an apology as it was a way to humorize him. “I had no idea you guys were so close.” Tao interrupted with an expression that displayed amusement, and Eunbi shot him a bewildered look. They were friends, at least that’s what she thought they were. Whether he saw her as a friend she didn’t now. But she hoped. “Why, can’t we be friends?” Kai elbowed Tao in the side, only to laugh when the latter shrugged his shoulders, “you ert. You think I don’t know what you’re thinking.” even Eunbi, much to her embarrassment, understood what Kai referred to. And so must’ve Yixing and Tao done, for they both reacted. “I was just kidding. I know you like Ahbin.” that was a shocker to Eunbi, whose mind raced at Tao’s words. She’d always thought Yixing and Ahbin had something going seeing how close they were and by the fact that Ahbin always clung to the older male. But maybe they weren’t dating at all. “Yah.” Kai socked his friend in the arm, “I told you to not tell anyone.” more laughter followed and Eunbi glanced at Kai, who sported flushed cheeks. He was actually blushing. “I don’t understand why you don’t just tell her.” obviously, Tao had to have missed how Ahbin acted around Yixing, something that must be more than enough for Kai to hesitate. It was a feeling Eunbi knew quite well. “Can we please not talk about my nonexistent love life.” it was cute to see him flustered, though, she were still a bit confused regarding the relation between her best friend and the boy she liked. But to be so frank to ask about it was out of the question.


“Eunbi. I need some help over here.” she looked over her shoulder and noticed a lengthy line forming. Turning her attention back to the three males, she told them she had to get back to work. “We’ll see you later then.” Eunbi nodded, gave them a quick goodbye, and hurried back to the cash register. “Sorry.” she apologized, to which Yoori only shook her head, “it’s okay.” not thinking much of it, Eunbi went back to work. She was right about to take an order when the other girl spoke again, “your friends were quite some eye candy though.” there was no denying that. Sure, she thought Yixing was the most handsome, but both Kai and Tao looked good. “Yeah.” she blushed.


Unfortunately, she wasn't’ given any time to see the finals a few hours later for the line of people wouldn’t cease. Eunbi found it a bit sad, especially since she’d been looking forward to see them swim. There’d been no helping it though, and she’d instead listened as the crowd roared out their favorites, cheering them on with loud claps and encouraging words. It was probably more nerve racking not knowing which positions they ended up at, something that made her even more nervous and curious. To focus became a problem, too, since all she could think of was them. Luckily and much to her relief, Eunbi took notice of the time and that it was less than half an hour until the kiosk closed. “You are getting on my nerves.” she couldn’t help it. “Sorry.” Yoori however, would have none of it, “I can take care of this, so go look for them.” without as much as a second thought, Eunbi darted off, shouting a thank you as she went.


To locate them though, was a task she found rather difficult since they weren’t at the pool or anywhere near it. And to head inside the mens’ locker room to look was forbidden. Not that she’d dare go in there. “I guess I’ll just have to wait.” Eunbi let out a sigh and was right about to turn on her heel and head back to the kiosk when an all too familiar voice called her name, thus causing the said girl to come to a stop and look up. Yixing walked over, a bright smile upon his lips. “The other two are coming.” she nodded, the curiosity eating away within. Her behaviour surprised even herself for she was normally not so impatient. But she’d promised to wait, at least until they were all present. “Is it alright to work with Yoori?” Eunbi nodded once more, her gaze moving up to meet his, “yeah, she’s got lots of energy too.” the other girl was quite like Ahbin in that sense for they were both eager, almost too excited about stuff. “That’s a good thing I guess.” sometimes, sometimes not. It depended as it could get a bit tiresome at times. Eunbi wasn’t given an opportunity to reply as Kai and Tao emerged, laughing and shoving each other in the side. “There’s the lovebirds.” his loud voice tore through the crowd and Eunbi’s cheeks flushed red in embarrassment. “Awh, is there someone who has a crush.” Tao’s words didn’t exactly make it better, and she couldn’t even bring herself to look at Yixing. That’s how nervous she was. “How did it go in the final?” her sudden change of subject had Kai and Tao exchange glances, something that only made Eunbi more anxious. For them to know what she felt for Yixing seemed close to impossible, more so since she hadn’t told anyone about it. Not even Abhin knew. “Third, third, first.” Kai pointed at himself first, then at Tao and lastly, Yixing. Having finally gotten to know of the success, she smiled in happiness, “really? That’s great.” she glanced at Yixing, completely forgetting that she’d refused to meet his eyes moments earlier, and felt her heart flutter at the look he gave her. It sent chills down her spine.


“Okay, okay. That’s enough flirting.” she blinked and let her gaze wander, wondering whether it would be alright if she strangled Tao? And to make it more awkward, Yixing brushed past her and walked off. “Don’t mind him, he’s just shy.” shy or not, Tao sure made the situation weird. “Well, we should probably go. The price ceremony is about to start.” Tao gave her a wink and then headed after Yixing, thus leaving her alone with Kai, “you’re coming with us later, right?” she had no idea what he was referring to, something that must’ve shown on her face, for he continued, “we’re having a small party to celebrate.” Eunbi hesitated. She knew her mother wouldn’t have given her permission. Then again, the older woman was in Japan. “Sure. Why not.” with that, Kai moved about to go after his friends, only to come to a stop when he remembered something. “And just so you know, Tao figured it out on his own.” she was once again left confused.


Later that evening the confusion wasn’t so confusing anymore. Not after she’d run into a half drunk Tao, who’d somehow gotten a hold of alcohol, and heard him talk. He’d pulled her aside, saying something about not wanting anyone else to hear, before telling her that Yixing liked her. She didn’t believe him of course, seeing how drunk he was and all. A part of her wanted to, though. Wanted to believe it was true. “You’re babbling Tao. And drunk.” he shook his head, “I’m not that drunk.” he stared into her eyes with orbs that sure seemed hazy and a bit unfocused, “I’m telling the truth.” Eunbi shot him a look that obviously expressed she thought he was lying. “Yeah. I’ll believe that when I see it.”