Chapter 21

Heavenly Whispers

 

Jessica’s eyes fluttered open as the light blazed through the window, shining on her pale face. She squinted her eyes, not wanting to give into the morning.

 

Donghae, wake up, love,” she beckoned, rolling over and stretching her arms. She slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes.

 

Are you awake?” she whispered, shaking the lump beneath the blanket on the other side of the mattress.

 

She was confused. “Donghae?” she lifted the blanket, hoping to wake him with the bothersome sunlight that peeked into her bedroom. But when she threw the sheet over, there was just a ruffled pillow next to her.

 

What the heck…

 

She sat in her bed, rubbing her head, trying to recall the night before.

 

She closed her eyes and remembered lying down and looking into Donghae’s eyes. She remembered his hand caressing her face, his lips tracing butterfly kisses along her neck. She distinctly remembered the warmth of his touch – his gentle, tender touch.

 

She smiled at the memory of last night and opened her eyes, disappointed at his disappearance.

 

If there were a time when she wanted him to magically appear it was now.

 

Last night…was it real?

 

 

 

 

“Jung Sooyeon,” Yoona asked, noticing her unni’s shaking hands. “Are you alright?”

 

Jessica carefully held onto the drink she was creating with both hands, afraid she might drop it. “N-neh?” she said, her face glancing at Yoona.

 

“Why are you shaking so much?”

 

“O-oh, it’s nothing,” she tried to reassure her.

 

“You should sit down,” Yoona advised. “You look pale.”

 

Jessica took the drink and placed it on the counter, trying to catch her breath. “Sorry, I’ve just got morning jitters. I’ve been sleeping in so much recently. I should probably have some more coffee to give myself a little buzz.”

 

“Are you able to stay for your whole shift today?” Yoona looked at her with worried eyes.

 

“Yes, yes, don’t worry about me.”

 

“I wouldn’t, but you make it oh so difficult,” Yoona giggled, bumping her hip against her unni as she took the drink and walked away from the counter.

 

Jessica gave her a weak smile and heaved another sigh.

 

It definitely wasn’t morning jitters.

 

Donghae’s surgery is tonight and she couldn’t get it off her mind. She needed to be with him – she needed to see him and make sure that he’s okay.

 

 

 

 

“Yoonji!” Jessica called, waving her hand at Donghae’s noona from down the hall.

 

“Jessica,” Yoonji replied with a smile that looked almost relieved.

 

“How is he? Is he okay? What’s going on?” Jessica asked, trying to catch her breath.

 

“Jessica, calm down,” Yoonji smiled, rubbing Jessica’s shoulder. “He’s in surgery right now, he’s going to be under the knife for a couple of hours. So we won’t know anything for some time,” she explained.

 

Jessica closed her eyes and sighed. Yoonji placed her hand on the smile of her back and led Jessica down the hall to the seats where other people were waiting for their loved ones to get out of surgery.

 

Yoonji led her to an older couple. The woman was dressed in very professional business attire. Her face was youthful and her skin was clear. The older gentleman wore a dark-grey suit and had bright, gold-rimmed glasses. “Jessica, I want to introduce you to my parents.”

 

“Annyunghaseyo,” Jessica bowed. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

“Emeoni, abeoji, this is Donghae’s friend, Jessica. She’s the one who has been visiting him quite frequently.”

 

“Yoonji told us about you,” Mr. Lee said, his voice deep.

 

“She said that you knew Donghae’s donor very well,” Mrs. Lee said, eyeing her carefully.

 

Jessica nodded her head. “It’s true. Choi Siwon and I used to be very close,” she answered, looking at the floor.

 

“If we could, we’d thank him,” Mr. Lee said rubbing his wife’s shoulder, her hand rubbing his.

 

“And if Siwon could tell you himself, he’d tell you that it’s what he always wanted – to save a life.”

 

The couple smiled.

 

“Hi Jessica,” another familiar voice surprised her. She turned around and saw a very tall-slender boy standing there.

 

“Jungshin,” her voice rang at the sight of him.

 

“How are you?” he asked.

 

“I’m okay. How are you? How’s your music coming along?”

 

“It’s great. You definitely have to come to another show,” he smiled.

 

“Absolutely.”

 

“Jessica,” a familiar bird-like voice called. Jessica turned her head to see Yuri and Kyuhyun walking coming down the hall.

 

“Yuri, Kyuhyun,” Jessica answered with a smile. “It’s so nice to see you again.”

 

“And you,” Yuri replied happily.

 

“How have you two been?”

 

“We’ve been alright,” Yuri answered, teasingly nudging her brother against his shoulder.

 

Kyuhyun laughed and rubbed his shoulder. “If you’ll two excuse me, I’m going to go to the bathroom. It’s nice to see you again, Jessica,” he said rubbing her arm as he passed by her.

 

Jessica and Yuri smiled at each other and sat down together.

 

“I need to thank you, personally,” Yuri said placing her hand on Jessica’s.

 

“For what?”

 

“Because of you, Kyuhyun and I have patched things up. We’ve been talking again and we’ve been spending a lot of time together. It’s like he’s back to normal.”

 

Jessica cocked her head to the side and beamed an eye smile at her. “No need to thank me, I’m just glad everything’s okay between you two.”

 

Yuri stretched out her arms and hugged Jessica warmly. Jessica rubbed her back.

 

“If it wasn’t for you he probably wouldn’t be here. He would never forgive himself, so thank you.”

 

 

Jessica’s eyes open and she shook her head, trying to knock some sense back into herself.

 

 

Where am I?

 

She looked around and remembered she was at the hospital.

 

Crap! I fell asleep!

 

“Jessica.”

 

Jessica flinched and looked over her shoulder – it was Yuri.

 

“Yuri, what happened?”

 

She giggled. “You fell asleep for a couple hours.”

 

“A couple hours? What time is it right now?” she asked looking around for a clock to read.

 

“It’s almost midnight.”

 

“Donghae…Donghae!” she remembered, springing up from her seat. “Where is he? Is he okay?”

 

“Donghae got out of surgery and he’s just fine,” Yoonji answered approaching the two girls from behind.

 

Jessica quickly rushed around the seats up to Yoonji. “How is he? Can we see him?”

 

Yoonji shook her head. “The doctors said he’s still weak from the anesthesia. We can visit him tomorrow when he’s awake and feeling well enough to see people.”

 

“Kyuhyun and I are about to go home. We can drive you home,” Yuri offered, placing her hand on Jessica’s shoulder.

 

But Jessica shook her head. “No, it’s alright. I’d rather stay and wait for Donghae to wake up,” she said, crossing her arms.

 

“Don’t worry, Jessica,” Yoonji smiled. “He’ll be awake tomorrow and then you can see him. Just go home and get some rest, you look like you need it,” she advised.

 

“I don’t know…I’d really like to stay here and wait…” Jessica said as she stared at the floor, her heart racing.

 

“Let me take you home, please,” Yoonji pleaded. Jessica looked into Yoonji’s worried eyes and knew that she was right and that she should wait until morning to visit Donghae.

 

“Okay,” she gave in.

 

 

 

 

“You two must be really good friends…” Yoonji said suddenly as she kept her eyes on the road.

 

“Huh?” Yoonji’s voice broke Jessica’s daze.

 

“You and Donghae,” she pointed out. “You two must be close. You’ve been to the hospital so frequently just to see him.”

 

“Oh…yeah.”

 

“I’m serious,” Yoonji smirked. “You’re good for him.”

 

Jessica started to blush as she brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

“W-well, Donghae’s a really good friend…I just hope…that when he..wakes up…we can still be really good friends.”

 

“Hmmm,” Yoonji hummed. “I hope so too. I don’t see why not.”

 

Yoonji pulled up to Jessica’s apartment building and Jessica stepped out of the car.

 

“I’ll be seeing you tomorrow?” Yoonji said as she rolled down the passenger-side window.

 

“Of course,” Jessica smiled as she bent down to look at Yoonji.

 

“And I meant what I said, you’re a good person. You and Donghae will definitely be able to pick up where you left off,” she said driving away.

 

Jessica watched as Yoonji drove off, her tail-lights fading in the distance.

 

She let out a sigh and crossed her arms, keeping herself warm from the late night breeze.

 

She knew that when he was awake, if they were to pick up where they left off, they would be more than friends.

 

A smile tugged at her lips.

 

 

 

 

You can do this, Jung Sooyeon.

 

Jessica took various deep breaths. She closed her eyes and stepped into the room.

 

Inside the room, she saw everyone again – Yoonji, Donghae’s parents, his brother Jungshin, his baby sister Shinhye, and Yuri and Kyuhyun.

 

And there in the middle of the room, Donghae was lying in his bed. He looked tired and slightly weak. But she could barely tell from his lively looking appearance. He was smiling and his eyes were as bright as she remembered them being whenever she looked into his eyes.

 

Shinhye looked up from her seat and pointed to the door. “Unni~” she sang and everyone looked in her direction.

 

Jessica suddenly froze in her position as she felt everyone’s eyes on her – especially Donghae’s.

 

“Jessica, you made it,” Yoonji smiled walking up to her.

 

She grabbed her hand and slowly led her to the bed.

 

No one would have understood why, but Jessica’s heart rate increased ten-fold. She could feel it vibrating in her chest.

 

She gulped as she sat down next to Donghae.

 

His eyes were beaming, but they were blank.

 

“D-Donghae…” she stammered, staring right into his eyes.

 

“N-neh…” he replied.

 

She grabs his hand and rubs it between her own. To her surprise, he looked at her confused but she ignored it.

 

“I am so happy that you’re alright,” she smiled. “I was so worried…But you’re okay, you’re okay…” she continued to warm his pale, fragile hand.

 

He tilted his head to the side and looked deep into her eyes. “I’m sorry…”

 

“What is it?” she asked, eyeing him curiously.

 

“It’s just that I…” he struggled to find the right words to say. “I don’t…remember you.”

 

Suddenly the bursts of energy pumping through her body halted. Hse thought time had frozen at the sound of his voice.

 

He doesn’t remember…

 

“You…you don’t?” she asked, anxiously placing his hand back on the bed. She thought she might start having a panic attack.

 

“What’s your name again?” he asked.

 

Yoonji walked up to Jessica and placed both of her hands on her shoulders. “Donghae, this is Jessica, your friend. Don’t you remember? You met through her old boyfriend, Siwon.”

 

Donghae thought about it, closing his eyes. “Isn’t..Siwon…the guy who…gave me his heart?” he slowly remembered.

 

“Yes, and he’s an old friend of Jessica. He’s how you two met,” she tried to make the connection for him.

 

Donghae looked into Jessica’s eyes as if he was investigating her.

 

Please…remember me… Jessica thought to herself pleadingly.

 

Donghae heaved a sigh. “I’m really sorry…but I really don’t know who you are.”

 

“It’s…it’s alright…” Jessica answered as she nodded her head. She slowly rose from her seat and walked out the door, her eyes on the floor.

 

“Jessica,” Yoonji went after her. “I am so so sorry,” she apologized. “The doctors said this might happen. There are a lot of things…a lot of memories and faces he can’t remember…”

 

“And I guess…I’m one of them…”

 

“Just give it some time, I’m sure he’ll remember you with time…” she tried to reassure her.

 

“It’s fine, really. I’m okay,” Jessica lied.

 

“I feel so guilty..”

 

“Don’t. It’s not your fault.”

 

“Can I get you something to eat? Or I can take you home?”

 

Jessica waved her hands. “No, no. I’ll be alright…I’m just…I have to go to work so…”

 

“Alright…Well, I hope I’ll see you again…soon.”

 

Jessica nodded her head and slowly her heel. She began to pace away, unhurriedly, each step feeling heavier as she continued on.

 

She immediately turned the corner down the hall into the ladies’ bathroom. She waited for someone to leave after drying their hands.

 

She placed her hands on the counter where the sinks are and she began to inhale and exhale deeply. She looked at herself in the mirror, meeting her own eyes and began to feel sobs that she buried in beginning to rise up like a tidal wave. Her heart breaking, her chest sinking.

 

Tears streamed down her face like waterfalls.

 

She could only keep up her façade for so long.

 

He doesn’t remember me…

 

 

 


[a/n] I know, I'm so evil! Bwahaha, it's so sad. GAH. 

Thank you lovely readers. I was so happy when I saw all those wonderful comments last time. Stick around for the finale :D

Please please please please, check out my newest fanfiction to witness a miracle starring Siwon and Yoona. I really want people to read it. Just like heavenly whispers I seriously fell in love with the story and it has been in the works for SOOOO SOOOO LONG. 

I started planning it around the time I premiered Heavenly Whispers which was 3 years ago! HOLY COW. Isn't that amazing?! I know, it took me almost 3 years to finish this story BAHAHAHA. 

I'm so sad this story will be ending soon, but i think that to witness a miracle will be my new heavenly whispers - so I hope you'll join me on that journey as well. I tried not to give away a lot of info about the story because I want the readers to dive into the adventure with me as I write it, but if you're begging for more about it, just message me! I'll try to be as generous as possible without giving away too much info ;)

CLICK HERE for a youtube preview of my new story to witness a miracle and CLICK HERE to read it on asianfanfics!

 

Thanks!

-jasmine