Chapter 4: Almost Dead

For Angels to Fly

 

Kris went to that coffee house everyday for a month before he worked up the courage to ask Chanyeol on a date.
 
"Hey. Americano?" Chanyeol asks as Kris walks into the cafe. He already knows the answer so he starts making it.
 
"Hey, Chanyeol?" Kris gulps. He's so nervous that it seems like his stomach might explode.
 
"Hmmmm?" Chanyeol hums happily. No matter what kind of day it was, he always smiled. That's what Kris liked best. He could always smile and feel full around Chanyeol.
 
Chanyeol hands Kris his coffee. "So, uhhh," Kris chokes.
 
"Hold on," Chanyeol says. 
 
A bunch of customers just came swarming in.
 
Gee. Thanks, stupid es.
 
Every single customer, just so happens to be a female, fawning over Chanyeol.
 
Kris steps back, watching the scene play before him. Girls touching his arms and pinching his cheeks. The worst part is, Chanyeol doesn't try to stop it. 
 
Kris takes a deep breath and bids a mental farewell to Chanyeol.
 
Outside it starts to rain.
 
Ugh! Just my ing luck! What the hell is with all the fangirls coming through all of the sudden?
 
Kris swallows hard. It hurts as the saliva slides down his throat. 
 
God! What's wrong with me?!
 
Kris arrives home to a children free house. It's quite and calm. Kris doesn't like it because often, when he's alone, he thinks a lot. His thoughts always seem to make him sad. 
 
Kris busies himself, making breakfast. Usually, he would order a muffin about 30 minutes after hanging out at the cafe with Chanyeol. 
 
But, the fan es ruined the routine.
 
After making a traditional American breakfast, eggs, bacon, pancakes and hashbrowns, he receives a text.
 
From: Chanyeol <3
 
Hey. I'm sorry we couldn't hang out this morning. Would you like to come for a late lunch?
 
 
 
To: Chanyeol <3
 
Sure. I would love to.
 
"Hazza!" Kris fist pumps. 
 
For a few hours, Kris cleans his house. Humming to himself. He can't hide his smiles. Whenever he thinks of Chanyeol, his body feels tingly. 
 
Happily, he strides to Kyungsoo's room. Outside of the door, he stops. 
 
It sounds like someone is having a conversation in tongues.
 
"Kyungsoo?" Kris whispers and cracks the door open. 
 
Inside, he sees no one, but feels a presence. It feels like eyes are on him, watching his every single step. 
 
Kris walks slowly in the room, holding the broom defensively in the air.  
 
"Who's in here?" 
 
No answer. Not like he actually expecting one.
 
Kris hears a sigh. Almost like an exaggerated breath. 
 
Chills run up and down Kris' spine.
 
He closes his eyes. Pressure hits him from above.
 
On the floor, Kris starts feeling horrendous pain in his side. Stabbing pain. So sharp that he's afraid to move.
 
He lies there for what feels like days. The pain in his side only gets worse. He starts getting the urge to pee. 
 
Kris tries to sit up, but fails. He falls back to the floor, yelling out.
 
"Help!" He shouts a barely audible cry. 
 
Kris spots his phone lighting up on the floor. Lying down, Kris reaches for his phone. 
 
Thank god for his long arms.
 
From: Chanyeol <3
 
Hey. Are you still coming?
 
 
 
To: Chanyeol <3
 
Chanyeol, help me.
 
 
 
From: Chanyeol <3
 
Why? What's wrong?
 
 
 
To: Chanyeol <3
 
I feel like I'm dying.
 
Kris' phone starts ringing madly, indicating an emergency call.
 
"Hello?" Kris chokes out. He sounds like death.
 
Kris! Are you okay? Where are you?
 
"I-I-home-" Kris somehow forms the word.
 
All of the sudden, Kris' phone flies from his ear and shatters on the hardwood floor.
 
Kris starts to go in and out of consciousness. 
 
"Chanyeol," Kris breathes. 
 
In his mind, a voice rises. A voice not recognizable. A voice that sounds like the devil himself.
 
He's not coming.
 
"Yes, he is," Kris rebukes. 
 
Shhhh....sleep child.
 
The world around Kris dies out. Before he's totally gone, he sees an image. A distorted figure. Smiling at him with evil eyes. 
------
 
He's running. Fire all around him. Threatening to burn Kris' skin.
 
In the distance he sees a figure emerge. The figure looks like it's on fire, but isn't burning.
 
"Wu Fan," the figure calls.
 
"Chanyeol?" 
 
"Wake up."
 
"Chanyeol!" Kris screams. The figure gets attacked, suddenly, by what looks like a pack of wolfs. Snapping at him, shedding black blood. 
 
"Wake up!!!!"
------
 
Kris gasps awake to find himself on a stretcher. Sprinting doctors and nurses pull the stretcher through the halls of the emergency room. 
 
Kris looks up, through his breathing mask, to see Chanyeol. His eyes are filled with worried tears. 
 
Kris reaches for his hand. Chanyeol looks at him, shocked. 
 
Before he can say anything, though, Kris and the nurses push through the operation doors.
 
"I'm sorry, sir. You have to remain here," A nurse warns. 
 
Chanyeol looks once more at Kris being pulled and steps back.
 
Baekhyun comes running into the dramatic scene.
 
Chanyeol loses it. Tears flood his eyes and cheeks, staining his uniform from work.
 
"Chanyeol," Baekhyun puts a comforting arm around Chanyeol.
 
Chanyeol falls to his knees, overwhelmed.
 
Chanyeol hasn't cried in years. He thought he couldn't cry. He though he was incapable of feeling pain. But his heart. His heart feels heavy like it's being choked. The air in his lungs seem gone. He starts hyperventilating. 
 
 Nothing matter but Kris. Kris dying. Kris in pain. Just the very thought kills Chanyeol. He feels like he's being shot over and over again.
 
A nurse emerges from the operation room. "Park Chanyeol?"
 
-------