Chapter 3: To Be Normal

For Angels to Fly

 

"Hello, how can I help you?" Chanyeol asks the customer at the counter of a coffee shop. 
 
He often takes human form to meet his contestants. Chanyeol doesn't like to call them victims. He'd rather think of his life as a game show. Only one winner.
 
This winner has to be Kris. Or else Chanyeol might give up.
 
"Hmm...can I get...." Kris, the customer, thinks in rather deep thought. Choosing the right coffee is a struggle at 6 in the morning.
 
"Having trouble deciding?" Chanyeol asks.
 
"Yeah...it's too damn early for making such an imperative descision."
 
Chanyeol laughs and shows his big, white teeth, making Kris melt a bit. His knees get shaky.
 
"Let me suggest an americano. It's just black coffee but it sounds really fancy," Chanyeol suggests.
 
"Okay, I'll take a large. Are you a new employee?" Kris wonders. He's been going to this coffee shop for about 2 years and he's never seen such a beautiful sight. Mostly just depressed lesbians who write poetry, as cliche as it sounds.
 
"Yeah, I just started working today, full time," Chanyeol replies cheerily.
 
"Oh, well I'll be coming here everyday."
 
"Will you? I'll look forward to it," Chanyeol blushes.
 
Kris walks to the glass door, leading to the cool air outside. 
 
"My name is Kris, by the way," And with that, he's gone.
 
Chanyeol stands behind the counter in an awestruck manner. His breathing is heavy and his vision is blurred. He doesn't even realize how much time has gone by, ten minutes later when Baekhyun shows up, eyeing him knowingly.
 
"Hmmmmhhm," Baekhyun inquires, hinting at Chanyeol's lovestruck expression.
 
Chanyeol snaps out of his daze and turns to Baekhyun. "What can I get you, sir?"
 
"A big glass of Kris."
 
"Hey!"
 
"What?" Baekhyun asks 'innocently'.
 
"N-nothing," Chanyeol hides.
 
"Ah ha!!! I knew it!! He gives you butterflies!" Baekhyun jumps excitedly.
 
"Okay, fine! He knocks me off of my game," Chanyeol pouts. "You were right."
 
"Ahhh," Baekhyun sighs an content sigh, relaxing on a counter stool. "Music to my ears."
 
"Whatever. Can you tell me if he likes me?"
 
"I think you should figure this one out on your own," Baekhyun giggles.
 
"WHAT?!?! Why?! Baekhyun! You always help me with these things!" Chanyeol shouts, hurt by Baekhyun's shenanigans.
 
"Listen, Chanyeol. I know the truth. I know who your soul mate is. You need to figure it out yourself this time. I've always just told you if the person liked you. None of them worked out. Maybe for this one you should try being a normal human being," Baekhyun suggests.
 
Chanyeol considers this for a moment. Could it be that bad? He never really had a chance to be a real teenager. He never got to confess to the boy he loved. He never got to hold hands with someone walking down the Han river thinking about his future.
 
"Okay. Might as well try," Chanyeol gives in.
-------
 
Kris and Bang Yongguk have been friends since they could walk. 
 
Yongguk has been with Kris for everything, good and bad. You could say he's Kris' rock. His stone.
 
"Who's the guy?" Yongguk eyes Kris suspiciously.
 
"What guy?" Kris asks sheepishly.
 
"Wu Fan, please. I've known you for how many years? I know when there's a guy."
 
It's true. Yongguk has been beside Kris for every man crush Kris has had. So only about 3 but his behavior is consistent. 
 
"Spill it," Yongguk commands and puts his face in the palms of his hands and sits forward, intrigued. 
 
"Ugh! Fine! I met him today at the coffee shop. There's just something that sticks. He's...I don't even know," Kris says with faraway eyes.
 
Yongguk gasps. Half fake. Half real. "A boy that Wu Fan can't read? IMPOSSIBLE!"
 
"Ha. Ha. Ha. So funny, Yongguk. Ever think of doing stand up?" Kris asks sarcastically.
 
"I have actually. So, when's the first date?"
 
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!" Kris topples over in genuine laughter. "I have 3 kids to take care of! 4 if you count Luhan, who is always over. I most definitely do not have time to date. That's funny, though."
 
"Kris, it's been years since you've let someone get close to you," Yongguk comments.
 
"Yeah," Kris says absentmindedly looking at his phone. "There's a reason for that."
-----
 
A/N: Hello Rooners!!!!! Yep that is my name for my subscribers! So I'm going to be getting in the habit of writing again because school is almost over!!! I'll have a lot of time on my hands so Kdramas, a summer job and writing! GET EXCITED!!!!