Chapter 1: Just Maybe

For Angels to Fly

 

1983
 
It's raining today.
 
Chanyeol hates these days. He's the kind of person who enjoys the outdoors. He's 20 years old, but he still lives at home. He loves his family. His mother, father, two brothers and a sister. You could say they are his everything.
 
The Park clan is sitting in their quaint living room playing Monopoly; a tradition they have for rainy days.
 
Chanyeol lands on Pacific Avenue.
 
"Oo! I wanna buy!!" He shouts happily. He checks the price and carefully counts his money. 
 
Suddenly, there's an extremely loud boom of thunder. So loud that the floor shakes a bit and the power is knocked out.
 
"Aww!!" Kechi, Jai, Sae Soon and Chanyeol pout in unison.
 
"I'll go get some candles," their father announces.
 
"Be careful honey," their mother coos as he walks into the kitchen. "So, how is school?" 
 
"It's awesome!" Kechi and Jai say. Kechi and Jai are twins and the very best of friends.
 
"And you Sae Soon?" 
 
Sae Soon just started school. She is the sweetest little girl. "It's good. My teacher is very nice and the kids are funny."
 
"Hmm. I'm going to see what's taking your father so long."
 
Their mother strolls into the kitchen, careful not to trip in the dark. She rummages through their junk drawer for a flashlight and flips it on when she finds it. 
 
"Honey?" She calls. She looks around and eventually comes to a puddle of some sort of liquid on the tile floor and moves closer to investigate. "Oh dear God!" She gasps and falls to the floor.
 
Her husband is lying on the floor, strangled, bruised, stabbed and worst of all, his eyes are missing. Tears of blood rush from his eye sockets.
 
"Hello."
 
Chanyeol's mother looks up. 
 
The darkest, most hideous creature meets her eyes. He's tall and shadowy. He has glowing eyes and razor sharp teeth. His face is blackened. All that is visible are those glowing evil eyes. 
 
She looks into them and sees all her deepest and darkest fears out to get her. 
 
A piercing scream escapes her lips.
-----
 
2013
 
"Wu Fan!" Sehun screams.
 
Kris comes running at the sound of his 6 year old brother's voice. "Sehunnie, what's wrong?"
 
"Luhan stole my blue crayon!" Luhan is the neighbor. Sehun and Luhan are the absolute best of friends...usually.
 
Kris kneels in front of the sobbing kid. "Sehunnie? Don't you think this is a little silly?"
 
"B-but blue is my favorite color. Wu Fan is supposed to beat Luhannie up," Sehun sniffles.
 
Luhan crawls over to Sehun and gives     him a big bear hug. "I'm sorry, Sehunnie. Here's your blue crayon."
 
"See all solved."
 
Sehun wipes his nose on his sleeve. "Thank you, Wu Fan."
 
Kris goes back to the kitchen to proceed with making lunch for the boys. He takes a mental check of where everybody is: 
•Sehun and Luhan are in the playroom
•Kyungsoo is taking a nap
•Jongin is either taking a nap with Kyungsoo or watching TV.
 
Kris is 22 and taking care of this herd. His parents died in a fire when he turned 18. He was given the option to give the kids to an orphanage but Sehun was only 2, Kyungsoo was only 6 and Jongin was only 4. What kind of person would Kris be if he gave them away.
 
It's hard sometimes, though. Kris has to be brave. He has to be a role model. He has to be a parent. He's never truly lived. 
 
When you turn 18, you go out into the world and live. It's the time when your real life starts. You are free to party, to drink, to drive wherever and whenever. Kris never had this experience and probably never will. 
 
He's scared. He wants to raise these kids and make his parents proud. What if he slips up? What if someone comes and takes then away because he's not being an ideal guardian?
 
These questions haunt Kris everyday.
 
"Lunch is ready!" Kris calls.
 
The children scurry into the dining room and hop on their chairs.
 
"Where's Kyunggie?" Sehun asks.
 
"I'll go get him," Kris announces. He trudges up the stairs to Kyungsoo's and Jongin's room.
 
"Kyunggie?" He whispers.
 
Knock knock
 
Kris spins around, trying to locate the source of the knocking.
 
He blows it off. He's probably just hearing things.
 
"Kyungsoo?" He shakes the 10 year old boy softly. "Wake up."
 
Then, Kris hears rustling in the closet. He rises slowly and walks over to the closet.
 
He suspensfully reaches for the handle and slowly opens the closet door with a creak.
 
Nothing.
 
I'm going crazy
 
Kris feels a force pulling him in the closet. He's fighting, about to yell out. 
 
"Hyung?" Kyungsoo wipes the sleep from his eyes.
 
The force withdraws its grip on Kris.
 
"Come on Kyunggie," Kris rushes, pulling Kyungsoo's arm.
 
"Ow! Hyung, that hurts!"
 
"Sorry," Kris apologizes and lets Kyungsoo run down the stairs.  
 
Kris looks back at the open closet. 
 
What was that?
 
The clothes move as if a wind passed by. This startles Kris and he hurries down the stairs.
 
"Wu Fan! We're hungry!" Sehun and Luhan shout.
 
Kris serves Kimchi and rice in a daze. He couldn't stop think about what happened. Was he imagining things? No. There's no way that was fake. What was that force?
 
Little did he know that the force would soon change his life forever.
-------
 
Chanyeol has been observing Kris for about 2 weeks.
 
It was only supposed to be a few days, but there's something about Kris. 
 
The way he carries himself. The way he takes care of his brothers.
 
It's rare to see any man like that these days.
 
Chanyeol stands in front of the closet.  Where Kris was almost pulled in moments ago.
 
"You leave him alone," Chanyeol says threateningly. "You have to give me fair chance."
 
"Oh please. He's not the one," a husky, scratchy and dark voice replies.
 
"He might be."
 
"That's what you said the last 299 times."
 
"Lucky 300," Chanyeol says. "Go."
 
The creature leaves rustling the clothes hanging in the closet.
 
Chanyeol looks over to Kris who is standing wide eyed in the doorway.
 
Kris' eyes meet Chanyeol's and he runs down the stairs.
 
Of course, he couldn't see Chanyeol, but he could see Kris.
 
Something about the way his eyes glitter make Chanyeol's heart flutter.
 
That has never happened before. 
 
Chanyeol has 299 experiences to prove it.
 
The rules don't say Chanyeol has to love the victim back. 
 
The victim just has to love Chanyeol or care about him enough to touch the staff that would determine Chanyeol's fate.
 
No one has survived. No one has been the one person to release Chanyeol.
 
But, Kris. 
 
There's something about him that makes Chanyeol believe he could be the one to release Chanyeol and all the captured soul of the previous victims.
 
Maybe even help Chanyeol experience true love.
 
Maybe.
-----
 
A/N: SNOW DAY!!!!!! It's 9 degrees outside.
I thought I might as well write and post. Hope you enjoyed! Please let me know what you think. :)