Almost (but not quite)

All Things Broken and Beautiful
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“I have to remind myself to breathe — almost to remind my heart to beat!” 

― Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

Chen. Victoria.

Almost (but not quite).

 

His name is Chen, and mine is Victoria. I've always thought that one needed to look no further than our names, his and mine, to know that we are different. The name 'Chen' is short and sweet− cool, simple, laid back. Just like him. In contrast, the name 'Victoria' has four syllables (three, sometimes) and has twice the amount of letters in 'Chen'.  As far as names go, 'Victoria' is a fairly complicated one, and as far as people go, I'd say I'm pretty complicated, too.

People say that opposites attract, but I don't think that's always the case. To be honest, I have another belief. I believe that everyone has someone like Chen. And I don't mean someone who is laid back and made of all teeth and smiles. I think you know what I mean.

I mean that one person who sometimes makes your heart beat faster; sometimes doesn't. The person who asks for help with his or her homework and will most likely not speak to you again for the rest of the day. That one person who tells you the most stupid jokes. The someone who you think you might just fall in love with, but no matter how you think about it, you just can't see it happening.

There are many reasons why it just doesn't happen. Maybe it's the fact that he or she isn't always there, or the fact that you don't even know how many siblings they have, if any at all. Maybe it's the way you can't quite remember the details of their face when you're lying awake at night, and you realise it's because you don't pay as much attention to them as you think you do.

Maybe I just think too much, and maybe I just make things too complicated, but for me, it's this:

"Hey, Vicky!" It's his voice, I know. Some days, it's reassuring; makes me happy, even. Today, everything about it is annoying− it's too high, too bubbly, too excited.

"Don't call me Vicky."

"What else am I supposed to call you?" He leans in closer, probably without even thinking about it. And al

Please log in to read the full chapter