Knights

Protect The Princess

Ahrang’s eyes widened in disbelief. Were these hooligans retarded? Perhaps mentally challenged…

*They expect me to think I’m a princess?*

“I know you think we’re insane,” said Si Yoon as if he had read Ahrang’s thoughts. “Imagine hearing this when you’re like seven. That’s when we all discovered out fate. You’re fortunate to have lived a normal life up till now.”

Ahrang tried to squirm out of Hoya’s grasp, but his arms were too strong to pry from.

“Hurry up, we don’t have much time,” said Jinyoung as he eyes the unconscious Woohyun. “Pretty boy’s going to wake up soon.”

Ahrang shot Jinyoung an attempt of an intimidating glare, but her falling glasses were veiling her full fury.

Jinyoung simply leaned his back on the window and smirked as he shoved his hands into his pockets, indirectly saying that he was superior in this situation.

“Anyways…”continued Si Yoon. “I’ll try to make things a bit more concise. Please endure a bit longer, Princess.”

Ahrang stiffened. *They’re convinced that I’m a princess. They’re definitely disabled…*

Si Yoon strode back and forth the office, his index finger pointing to the ceiling.

“Long ago, there lived a king named Sunjong who reigned over South Korea. His reign was short lived, however, due to the Japanese invasion. The Korean monarchy quickly collapsed afterwards, leaving the royal bloodline scattered across the country, fleeing for their safety. In the history books, records show that King Sunjong and his two wives failed to bear children and died under Japanese confinement.”

Si Yoon then swiveled his gaze towards Ahrang’s direction.

 “But obviously…that’s not true. Or you wouldn’t be here.”

Ahrang’s eyebrows pinched together. She couldn’t comprehend this at all. Was he being genuinely serious?

“Your father was final descendant of King Sunjong; he was the hidden king of South Korea.”

*My dad…was a king?*

Ahrang slowly felt anger broil over her skin. She felt the bright fluorescent lights enhance the stinging tears in her eyes. This was all so pathetic. Before she knew it, a tear had s its way down her cheeks.

Hoya immediately removed his hand from Ahrang’s mouth once he felt something wet hit his fingertips.

She was crying?

She slowly rose from Hoya’s lap once he had loosened his grip, a deathening aura radiating from her stand. Instead of throwing a tantrum like expected, she silently, viciously glared back at Si Yoon. Even through her glass frames, Si Yoon felt slightly intimidated by her fierce expression.

“If my father was the king of Korea, why is he dead?” she asked, her voice coated with a new husky exhuastion.

The boys remained silent.

Ahrang let out a bitter sarcastic laugh. “I mean, shouldn’t the king of Korea deserve the best security and access to absolute luxury? We lived in a small hut all our life, and if that wasn’t already bad enough…HE ING DIED IN A CAR CRASH 6 MONTHS AGO!”

Hoya looked up at Si Yoon. What were they to say to that?

“ANSWER ME! WHY DID WE HAVE TO SUFFER IN POVERTY!? WHY WERE WE LEFT TO FEND FOR OURSELVES?! WHY DID HE DIE!? WHY DID YOU LET HIM DIE?!” Ahrang felt the air in her lungs spurting out into rage. Her tears fogged her vision as she inwardly hoped that the thick lenses of her glasses could diminish the swollen redness of her eyes.

Her father was gone. He was long gone.

“Do you think this is some joke? It isn’t funny! You have no right to lie and feed me such a bull story about my father being a king and-”

Before Ahrang even knew it, Si Yoon had wrapped her within the warmth of his arms. The subtle aroma of clean cotton engulfed her. She stiffened at the sudden physical contact and tried to squirm away, but it was no use. Si Yoon had firmly adjusted his arms around her body to ensure that she couldn’t escape.

“I know it sounds outrageous. But you have to believe us. You’re right. We’re pathetic for not having been able to protect you and Jeonha. It was our duty to protect you two, and we failed.”

Ahrang let her fighting defiant arms drop to her side.

Her father was dead.

Reality slapped her once again.

He was really dead. He wasn’t here anymore.

 Ahrang felt her tears make her eyes drowsy. She felt so safe and warm in the arms of this stranger. Why was his embrace so comfortable? She didn’t want to think. She just wanted to collapse and vanish into the air, entering an eternal slumber. But that wouldn’t happen. It couldn’t.

"This is so stupid...I'm stupid..."Ahrang wimpered weakly.

She tried to free herself from Si Yoon once more, letting her private thoughts dictate over her actions.

*This is all a dream. A bad nightmare.*

Her moment of silence was immediately shattered when Jinyoung roughly grasped her shoulders to make her body face his.

Ahrang gasped at the sudden turn and felt her breath hitch when she saw Jinyoung dark brown eyes piercing through hers.

“Idiot. Didn’t you hear him? According to historical annals, you’re not supposed to exist. If the truth of your identity was to be revealed, the entire Korean culture would shift. There isn’t supposed to be a king or a princess. South Korea is a presidential republic now. Do you have any idea how different things would be if there were to be a king or queen ruling beside the president?” Jinyoung clenched his jaw.

Ahrang blinked in bewilderment.

“Your real name and your father’s real name aren’t even in the government records. We’ve just flawlessly tied you with this fake identity.” Jinyoung scoffed while pointing at Ahrang’s uniform nametag.

Ahrang looked down to see her name embedded onto the small golden plaque she had grown fond of throughout her years in high school.

Ahrang Kang, it read.

*This isn’t my real name, then?*

“That’s why you lived in such degrading environments.” Jinyoung continued. “If you were to thrive in extravagance, society’s eyes would turn to you. We put on a mask that was seamlessly perfect. No one would suspect such a plain, simple girl that lives with her single father to be the princess of Korea.”

Jinyoung leaned back on the wall again, closing his eyes as if to reduce the degree of his annoyance.

“And as for your father’s death,” Hoya slowly began as he rose from the chair. “We can’t deliver any type of apology that can make up for the loss.”

Si Yoon nodded, urging Hoya to continue.

“It was our fault. Our fathers’ fault. All of our faults. I’m so sorry.”

“It wasn’t our fault! It wasn’t even our father’s faults!” snapped Jinyoung. “Don’t you dare forget that some of us were forced to make sacrifices that we weren’t willing to make.”

Ahrang blinked at Jinyoung’s temper. He looked infuriated, but at the same time, his eyes were drowning with sorrow.

Hoya took a step back while lifting his hands to his head. “Chill, bro. Didn’t mean to offend you.”

Si Yoon sighed into his hands and peered up to meet Ahrang’s confused gaze.

“Will you let me explain the rest, Princess? It won’t take too long.”

Ahrang reluctantly nodded. She didn’t really want to hear any more of this…but by the way these boys were behaving, she knew they weren’t lying. She had identified sincerity and honesty from Si Yoon’s hug.

Si Yoon heaved another sigh before starting.

“The car accident your father was involved in…” He bit his lower lip as if indecisive whether to continue or not.

Ahrang peered at him curiously. “What about it?”

“We think it wasn’t a simple accident. There a group of spies that wants to prevent a monarchy from rising to power. They may have discovered your father’s identity and decided to assassinate him to destroy any evidence of the royal bloodline.”

Ahrang let out a ragged breath as she crumbled to the floor. *My father… was murdered?*

Hoya immediately helped her into a chair, using his strong hands to stable her on to the seat.

“Should I continue?” asked Si Yoon who looked at Ahrang with a concerned expression.

 Ahrang weakly nodded. If there was anything slightly beyond a coincidence regarding her father’s death, she wanted to know. She felt as though she had the right to know. She needed to know.

“We had bodyguards scattered across your neighborhood to ensure Jeonha’s safety, but they couldn’t protect him from the accident. A car suddenly charged towards your father’s vehicle, and we’re mostly positive that the person who caused the accident had the scheme planned for a long time. The accident was too flawlessly executed to be sheer coincidence.”

“The perfect murder…” murmured Jinyoung. His eyes were still closed as his head lay against the wall.

Ahrang nodded. She had heard the news when she was at work. A nurse from Seoul Hospital had dialed her workplace to contact her. “Ahrang Kang? What is your relationship with Jungwoo Kang? He is in need of great medical conduct due to a car accident. We called you since you were the first to appear in his speed dial list.” Ahrang felt her heart plummet to her stomach when she had first received the news. And she felt the same way now.

How could anyone be so demented and sick enough to take another person’s life like that? Murder? It was such a repulsive idea.

“You’re in danger. If your father’s identity has been discovered, yours has been too.”

“Which is why…” explained Hoya, “we’ve all transferred to this school. To maximize your security. Everyone is a threat.”

Ahrang gulped. Everything was piecing together.

 No wonder Hoya reacted so harshly when Woohyun had her face.

*He was afraid Woohyun was someone who might hurt me.*

No wonder her father had always tied her from being too extraordinary.

*Dad didn’t want me to stand out…or else, I’d be easier to find. The spies would find me.*

No wonder they were always slightly, in one way or another, deprived.

*We had to blend in with normal citizens.*

No wonder….no wonder….

“Our fathers were Jeonha’s assistants, and they pledged a vow to protect him and hide him. If his existence were to leak into the media, hell would break loose,” explained Hoya as he glanced at Woohyun to make sure he wasn’t waking up.

“Bodyguards? So since there’s three of you guys, and your fathers were all of my dad’s bodyguards…my father had three bodyguards?”asked Ahrang.

“Yeah, well… they were more than just bodyguards,” explained Si Yoon. “They all had different fields they excelled in. They had been trained since birth to become guardians of the royal family. Each was trained separate specialties. They were like knights.”

Jinyoung blankly stated, “One for emotional stability, one for physical protection, and one for strategy planning. Each of our fathers played a different role.”

“And now…we’ve inherited their roles. It is now our duty to protect the royal descendants,” said Hoya.

“More specifically, it’s our duty to protect YOU.”

Ahrang glanced at the three boys before her. They were all undeniably handsome, but each carried a unique charm that differentiated them from one another.

Si Yoon carried a sweet and classy aura. His speech conducted a comfortable atmosphere.

Hoya was masculine with a touch exterior, but his mysterious gaze and sweet smile told you otherwise.

And Jinyoung…he was an arrogant , yet Ahrang couldn’t deny that his eyes were so captivating. Everyone’s eyes were filled with something… whether it be happiness, sadness, remorse, surprise, or fear. But Jinyoung’s eyes…they were filled with nothing. They just had this mystifying glint in them. They bore a spine chilling effect on others.

“Then…what role does each of you have?”asked Ahrang.

“Oh, my apologies…”said Si Yoon. “We haven’t properly introduced ourselves.” He straightened his posture and pulled on the tie that was loosely hanging on his collar shirt.

“I’m Si Yoon. I am your Heart Knight. I take care of your emotional insecurities and help you alleviate stress. I nurse you when you’re ill or fatigued. I also keep your mood in check, so if there’s any small thing that bothers you, come to me.”

*Heart Knight? Sounds so cheesy…but the idea is so sweet. It fits Si Yoon’s character.*

“I’m Howon. But call me Hoya; it’s better that way. I am your Body Knight. It sounds weird, I know. I take care of your physical wellbeing. I guard you from anyone that tries to attack you or harm you. When you’re with me, you don’t need to worry about getting hurt. I also manage your environment…which means…” Hoya turned to look at Woohyun’s still unconscious body. “I manage the people you hang out with and your surroundings.”

*That role fits Hoya perfectly.*

Jinyoung looked emotionlessly out the window; he obviously had no intentions of introducing himself. Si Yoon sighed and grabbed Jinyoung’s sleeve and gently nudged him towards Ahrang.

“Jinyoung. Brain Knight. I plan everything in this trio. I organize all your stats to keep you seeming like a normal person. I hack into systems to delete potential evidence that may reveal your identity. I form strategies to keep lurking spies away.” He spat out his words bitterly and returned his cold gaze towards the outside scenery.

*That puts you in a position that’s the most distant from me.*

Ahrang peered from her side to see Jinyoung cussing under his breath.

*That’s good, then.*