I Will Love You

An Empty Hole

 

                TOP sat in a small, quaint café, exclusive to those who ventured in on a cold night to taste their deliciously warm menu. He sipped coffee, face stone cold and rigid, ignoring the cute and random popart featuring coffee in cups that filled the empty sea of the warm brown color of its walls as well as the three other parties in the store. They consisted of a group of three, sitting like the edges of a triangle, silent while typing fervently, occasionally sipping a bit of their caffeine filled drink to type on, a pair of students who were discussing the role of Kurtz and how he effects Marlow in Heart of Darkness, and a surprisingly gross and oblivious couple sitting quietly in the corner, cuddling, , and whispering who knows what into each other’s ears.

                Pretending like he didn't give a care in the world, TOP stared at the chair in front of him, still slowly sipping his coffee. His eyes focused and unfocused in waves as he blinked slowly, contorting his vision. The chair that fell victim to his intense gaze was a smooth, sleek, white yet slightly transparent piece of furniture. Its rounded features smoothed down into four round, metallic legs. TOP, however, was not judging the features of the chair, but more trying to remember the one that used to sit in the now lonely, empty spot.  You were so beautiful... he thought as his gaze turned into a nostalgic smile of the past…

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

                The pair strolled along the sidewalk of a rather empty street, holding hands, staring into each other’s eyes, hearts filled with each other’s love. The magnificent weather allowed her to wear a sundress intermixed with white and orange, cut off at the knee, which showed her slightly athletic legs, while it allowed him to wear a t-shirt layered over a long sleeved shirt while sporting a light pair of pants.

                TOP, grinning cutely, asked, “So where are you taking me?”

                “Somewhere,” she replied mysteriously while leaning on him, her head only up to TOP's chest.. Smiling even wider, TOP wrapped his head around her while putting his head on her head as they walked.  It was not, however, her petite frame that made her so lovable, but her contagious smile that was so bright it made the sun seem darker. The innocence in her eyes gave even more shine to her smile, yet they were stunted by her partly cloudy ignorance.

                “Ah, we’re here!” she exclaimed as they rounded to a small café. “My friend showed me this place and it’s really cute and the people are really nice!”

                They chose the closest seats to the window, with her sitting on the smooth white seat, her dress flowing off the smooth edges, like a river. While they waited for their orders to come, they chatted about their lives, especially her junior year in high school.

                “I love this class, comparative religion, its so interesting and -”

                “I feel like we’re too far apart. You should sit here!” TOP said while grinning childishly, pointing at his lap.

                Rolling her eyes, she walked over and plopped onto his lap and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Feeling an overwhelming sense of intimacy and closeness, she leaned her head on him and smiled. “I only need you in this world, Seunghyun."

                Closing his eyes too, TOP thought I love you too.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

                Suddenly snapping out of his daze, TOP quickly readjusted himself back into a refined sitting position. Taking a deep breath, he took out a small flask of liquor from his coat and shakily poured some into his coffee. He then proceeded to drink a small sip like it was poison, feeling the bitter sting on the tip of his tongue, slowly spreading to the back of his mouth before he swallowed back his youth and of times gone by.

                As he stared at the white chair, the more imperfect it started to grow. One of the back legs was a quarter of an inch short, causing it to wobble back and forth at the nearest movement. The light that had once covered its glossy scratches had changed, accenting them so much that it was impossible to not look at. Why can't you be here now? Why can't we go back to how it was before? I miss you so much. Without you, my life has a big hole, right where you used to sit.  He closed his eyes and put his face in his hands, massaging his temples as the coffee shop slowly disintegrated into a black void and a new image appeared...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

                TOP’s face was set permanently into a grin and his legs shivering with anticipation. This is gonna be so special!. It'll show how much I love you! He tried to calm himself down by looking staring at the ground. Today, however, she was far from perfect. Her eyes were surrounded by dark circles that looked mournful over the time she lost sleeping. Every time she looked up from the table, she gave him a smile to the best she could, however meek it seemed. Her eyes shown a slightly dimmer golden brown. Her body seemed stiff as she slowly brought her coffee to her lips, drinking slowly but not truly savoring its taste.

                “What’s wrong? Are you tired?” TOP asked with concern, catching onto her body language.

                “It’s nothing. Well I am tired.” Her face fell and she looked back into her cup. “But it’s not that. It’s… well…

                “I…. got accepted into Oxford University’s theology program. In England.”

                TOP’s jaw dropped. “Whoa…. That’s so cool! What are you-”

                “But the thing is…” her voice started to waiver. “I…don’t think that we can be together anymore. It’s just because-”

                “Why. We can still do the long distance thing. I want to-” TOP interrupted, his face in disbelief.

                “Please don't. I have to do this. Because its… theology is extremely…I don’t think I can…Not a lot of people get...I'm one of the few... It'll be too....” she ceased to finish her sentences as tears poured from her eyes and her wavering voice reduced into sobs.

                They sat there, silently with the exception of the sobbing in the café. The silence filled the air, choking both their tongues into further silence.

                TOP could not feel how long it had been. His soul seemed to enter into an abyss. The pit of his heart break was opening into a bottomless hole and he felt as helpless as a tiny baby in the scheme of the world. His mind kept asking, Why? Why is this happening? We had a perfect life...

                Before he knew it, his love had stood up and was standing next to him. Her eyes had cleared to show its lost innocence and its true heartbreak. She gently kissed him on the forehead, lingering before she whispered “I love you so much, but I really have to do this.”

                TOP could only stare at the empty hole in front of him as she walked out the door, hearing the right of the door charm vibrating at an ever louder pace, become unbearable as tears slowly rolled down his cheek…

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

                “Excuse me, sir.”

                TOP’s head jolted from the table, eyelids heavy and cheeks puffy. After scanning the area and seeing the emptiness of the café, he looked back at waitress.

                “Sorry, sir, but we’re closing up for the night,” she told him in a polite businesslike manner.

                “Oh, right,” TOP replied, mouth open, still in a slight daze. After a couple of uncomfortable moments, he stood up suddenly, knocking a box loose from his jacket. It bounced in small circles on the ground until it decided to open itself while facing up.

                Staring at the contents, TOP stooped to pick up his possession. The smooth of the velvet seemed like small stabs of pain to his heart as the diamond ring gleamed up back at him, shining brightly. They’re just like her eyes, bright. The ring was tucked into a small gap of the box, looking snug, like a child tucked in bed. I was supposed to be there for you. I was supposed to protect you, to love you. This was going to be your present. We were going to be together, forever and ever. Taking a deep sigh, he closed the box, said a quick thank you to the waitress and left the café, entering the dark, chilly night.

                I miss you too.