Flashbacks [pt. 1]

Saranghae

 

I stared up into the sky and I smiled to myself.

 

Today was going to be a new day, a new start and I was going to forget everything that had happened to me before.

 

I walked out of Seoul airport and boarded a taxi, my hand clutching a my phone and a piece of paper.

 

I looked at the view through the glazed window of the taxi and saw different views flash before my eyes.

 

Looking at the view in front of me, listening to my music I knew that life couldn’t be more perfect.

 

Suddenly, my phone rang and I jumped.

 

I took the phone shakily and looked at the caller ID.

 

ONEW.

 

I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breath and I was paralysed there, staring at the name.

 

“Miss, are you going to pick up your phone?” The driver asked me, pulling me back into reality.

 

“Oh…right...yeah…I’m going to…pick it…up…” I trailed off, not knowing whether or not I should.

 

I took in a deep breath and was about to open up my slide phone when all of a sudden, it stopped ringing.

 

My heart felt like as if it just dropped off a 100 storey building.

 

I felt tears starting to well into my eyes and threatened to come out when all of a sudden, it rang again.

 

ONEW.

 

I smiled like crazy and quickly picked it up.

 

“A-annyeong…” I said nervously to the phone.

 

The person on the other side laughed and began to talk.

 

“Do you still think that this is a dream Lee Jae Song?”

 

“Uh…um…ye?”

 

“YAH!”
 

“Mianhae oppa!” I quickly apologised.

 

He chuckled and coughed.

 

“Anyways, you’re on your way here to my apartment right?”

 

I nodded silently.

 

“Hey…don’t nod. You need to talk or otherwise how am I supposed to know whether or not you’re really coming?”

 

I gasped and apologised.

 

“Mianhae…mian…mian…mi-“

 

“YAH! BE QUIET!”

 

“Mi-“

 

“Jae…this isn’t a dream. Stop thinking it is!”

 

-SILENCE-

 

“Are you still there Jae?”

 

I gulped.

 

“Ye…I am…and I’ll stop…it just…after loving you as a celebrity for 6 years…I can’t believe that you’re loving be back…it just seems…really…”

 

I trailed off again and didn’t say anything for awhile and neither did the other person on the other side of the phone.

 

“Look…we’ve met each other for two years already, we’ve talked and-ok. Enough of this. I’ll see you soon okay?”

 

I was about to speak when I thought better of it.

 

I smiled and said to the phone.

 

“Ye…”

 

I could suddenly feel the smile of the person I loved more than my life through the phone.

 

“Saranghae Jae…saranghae…”

 

The person said, its voice soft and velvet like.

 

“Saranghae oppa…saranghaeyo onew oppa…”

 

I replied and I heard the phone on the other side become dead.

 

I gently closed my phone and I couldn’t believe myself.

 

It’s been six years since I’ve met him…

 

***

 

“YAH! OMG!!! FINE! BE THAT WAY!”

 

My friend Carol screamed in my ear when she heard that I was never going to like Dong Bang Shin Ki aka DBSK.

 

My other friend, Iris and I began to laugh and was trying to stop when we saw the way she looked at us.

 

“Sorry Carol…I’m just telling you the truth…” I said shakily after the laughing.

 

She pouted, making me and Iris laugh even more.

 

“Fine…don’t like DBSK then…I will love them forever!”

 

“Whatever.” I replied and took her iPhone 2G away from her to look through her videos.

 

Suddenly, I came across a video with the name “SHINee- Ring Ding Dong”.

 

Curious, I tapped the screen and began to look at five boy dancing and singing on the small screen of an iPhone.

 

“Who’s this Carol?” I asked, totally engrossed in their costume and voice.

 

I felt Carol’s chin on my shoulder as she peered over to see who and what I was talking about.

 

“Oh…that’s SHINee.”

 

“I see…”

 

“OMG! LOOK! THAT’S TAEMIN!”

 

My friend screamed again in my ear.

 

“OW!”

 

I screamed back at her making all my friends laugh around us.

 

And then, all of a sudden, I heard a voice.

 

A voice with such emotion and feeling behind it.

 

I turned back to my video and saw a guy.

 

A guy…

 

“Hey Carol…”

 

“Yeah? What?” Carol responded to my “hey”.

 

“Who’s that?”

 

I asked after I heard him sing and they were now singing the chorus.

 

“Who…who…Oh him.”

 

I turned my head back to look at Carol.

 

“Yes, him. Who is he?”

 

Carol looked at me oddly.

 

“Out of all five of them this was the guy you chose? Are you being serious Jae Song?”

 

I nodded and waited for her answer.

 

She sighed and talked.

 

“That’s Onew. SHINee’s leader. He’s not usually that loved by everyone.”

 

“Why not?”

 

I asked, turning back to see him sing at the screen.

 

“Well…I guess…it’s cause…”

 

I turned back to her.

 

“Coz what?”

 

She sighed a second time.

 

“Just because.”

 

“What does the other member’s have that he doesn’t have?”

 

Carol looked at me.

 

“Well, why do you like him then? Out of all five of them you chose the leader.”

 

I put my finger to the top of the screen and pushed the play button backwards so it could go back to the part where Onew sings.

 

“I guess, his voice is very addictive,”

 

Carol laughed and I ignored her.

 

“He just seems…so…”

 

“So…?” Carol echoed me.

 

“I don’t know. There’s just something about him that I like and that the other four members don’t have.”

 

“Psh…whatever. But I’m telling you Jae. There isn’t as much Onew supporters out there.”

 

“It doesn’t matter. As long as I’m supporting him I’m sure I can change other people’s opinions.”

 

I looked back at the face in front of me and suddenly, I don’t know why, I smiled.

 

I was sure I was going to love him…

 

I was sure…

 

***

 

“OMG! I’VE FINALLY LEARNT KOREAN! YAY!” I screamed to myself as I found myself finally understanding what Korean people where saying, what they were writing etc.

 

I jumped into the air and laughed and laughed.

 

Suddenly, I ran to my computer and opened it, tapping my fingers on the key board, impatient to get on the internet.

 

“Hurry up…hurry up…”

 

I said to myself.

 

“God…like finally!”

 

I said exasperated.

 

I opened up Google Chrome and typed in Google.

 

Once I was on Google, instantly, I typed in me2day and found it.

 

“OMG…I can FINALLY have a me2day!” I said to myself smiling.

 

In a few minutes I had created an account and was fixing everything, busy changing my display picture, my background, my information etc.

 

When I was done with all that I when to search and I typed in to search for Onew’s me2day.

 

“OMG…I FOUND IT…I FOUND IT!!!”

 

I said screaming and I was jumping up and down on my seat when my sister came in looking annoyed.

 

“What’s with all the noise Jae? I’m trying to study!”

 

“Sorry!” I said to my sister apologetically.

 

She soon left, slamming the door in response.

 

For two straight hours I sat there, looking through Onew’s me2day and then all of a sudden, I felt someone talk to me and I checked to see who it was.