Prologue B - Mysterious

It Has To Be You

| It Has To Be You
| Chapter 2: Prologue B - Mysterious
| Updated: July 15, 2010
|

“Lee Eunhyuk, where the hell are you?!” Donghae screamed into his phone.

At the other end, Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, “I’m in my car. God, this weather is really bad. It’s pouring buckets outside, I can’t see anything.”

“Well you better hurry up. All the schools are here already prepping up. HwahSoh Academy, Anyang Art High School, all of them.”

“It’s not my fault. I’ll be there.” Eunhyuk said while honking at the driver in front of him. “Move, . It’s green!”

Donghae spoke again, trying to get his best friend’s attention, “Look, Ms Choi is looking for you already. She’s furious. She said you better be here in 10 minutes or else. And not to mention, all these rich and rude brats everywhere I turn is making me want to punch someone.”

Chuckling Eunhyuk replied, “Then punch someone. Keep your knickers in place, I’m coming.”

“What did you do to get so late? You’re walking distance from the venue!” Donghae pointed out.

“I know, I know.” Eunhyuk sighed, “I just had to get something important. I got it here in my car already. So I’m heading out there right now—”

Donghae hung up not ready to listen to his excuses.

He looked around until his friend Si Yoon tapped his shoulder.

“Donghae, someone’s looking for you, bro.”

“Who?” Donghae asked, oblivious.

“These group of guys.” Si Yoon pointed to a corner where HwanhSoh kids were standing, “They say they want to talk to Eunhyuk.”

Donghae was confused, “I never seen those guys in my life.”

“If I were you, I’d stay away. They look like they’re asking for trouble,” Si Yoon shrugged, “By the way, where IS Eunhyuk? His house is five minutes from here.”

“He’s coming.” Donghae said, not reassuring Si Yoon, but most probably himself.

They walked together, passing by the HwanhSoh kids. There were four of them, all tall and lanky except for the second one, who looked a little out of place.

Donghae felt uneasy, feeling as though something was going to go bad, so he texted Eunhyuk’s phone in advance. The message wasn’t able to get through.

, he cursed to himself. What bad reception.

As the two neared closer to their school’s section, Shinhwa Academy, Ms. Choi passed them program sheets.

Ms. Choi looked at Donghae in an expression like she was expecting something.

“Well?” she said. “Where is the fellow?”

Donghae sighed, with no reply for her.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Gyuri entered the venue just a little late. Ok, maybe she was almost REALLY late.

Stupid limo.

She ran, passing by the front desk security with her ID up in the air for them to see.

By the time she got to the side studio doors, four mysterious looking students blocked the entrance.

“Excuse me,” Gyuri said politely, looking at the men in uncertainty, “May I pass?”

The first two looked at each in other in question, but then let Gyuri in.

As the door closed in back of her, she doubted whether those students were even students at all.

Burying the idea in the back of her mind, she walked swiftly to find her friends.

“Children please, settle down.” A voice was heard over the prompter as she entered the backstage area.

She looked around for her school, Shinhwa Academy and skimmed through the masses of students.

“Gyuri!” Ms. Choi found her first, “You’re late. Here’s the schedule for the program. You have your speech ready?”

“Yes.” She replied, taking out the folded piece of paper in her side pocket.

Victoria came up, hugging a surprised Gyuri.

“Gyuri-unnie”, she smiled, “I knew you’d make it. Now I’m sure we’ll win for Intelligence round.”

Gyuri kept a composed expression, but deep inside she was scared less.

“Thanks.”

After a quick round of rehearsing her opening speech, she went alone to get some refreshments.

‘Where the hell is he?’ Gyuri thought, ‘Eunhyuk where are you?’

She scanned her school’s section earlier, but found no sign of him.

Usually, he would be seen goofing around with his friends by the curtains, but there was no sign of his spiky black hair at all.

Donghae was talking with Jessica and Si Yoon, no Eunhyuk in sight.

Yeonjoo and her friends, who would always be found flirting with Eunhyuk, were by the mirrors reapplying their makeup for the billionth time, Gyuri guessed.

More worried than nervous, she walked energy-less to a smiling Jooyeon.

Jooyeon looked at her lopsidedly.

“What’s wrong, Gyuri?”

Gyuri shrugged in response.

Jooyeon smiled at her best friend, understanding.

“Don’t worry, Gyul,” Jooyeon rubbed her shoulder, “He’ll be here. I’m sure he’s just late. Just like always.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Screeching his car to a stop, he parked his car unevenly; remembering to get the bouquet of red roses he had bought earlier.

He was late because of the roses. Eunhyuk made a mental note not to buy flowers from a store on the other side of town. But it was worth it, because the roses were exceptional and put together well. It was all worth it anyway, Eunhyuk thought. Besides, it was his and Gyuri’s anniversary today, and he wanted to get something special for her.

The rain wasn’t as hard as it was a minute ago, so he rushed inside as fast as he could, bouquet in hand.

He checked his watch. , 10:03.

While dashing in, he ran toward the sign that said, “Stage 03”.

But before making it halfway to the door, a voice stopped him.

“Young man, I don’t think you can come in without your ID.” a stubby-looking security guard said near the desk.

Eunhyuk stopped to breathe.

“Look, you don’t understand. I’m part of the program, I just arrived late.”

“Yes, that may be so,” the security guard ruffled his chin, “But since there is a strict rule that says no one is allowed into this perimeter until someone gives classification, I’m afraid your included in that rule too, son.”

“Alright, alright.” Eunhyuk looked into his duffle bag, hoping to find his student card.

In the left pocket, the right, the inside pocket, all throughout the bag he found nothing.

Eunhyuk searched a second time, then looked up at the security guard in a sheepish expression.

The guard shook his head, “Sorry. I’m afraid I can’t let you in.”

“Look, little man,” Eunhyuk stood towering the guard, “I am Lee Eunhyuk. My father is chief in vice, Lee Junkil—”

“Thee Lee Junkil?” the security guard interrupted, “You’re his son?”

The guard then bowed ninety degrees, surprising Eunhyuk.

‘So he does know my father’ he laughed in his head as the guard bowed over and over in shame.

“Please forgive me!” the man said, “Go right in, Master.”

Surprised at sudden change in attitude, Eunhyuk had no means to object as he rushed to the doors.

Smiling, all he could think about was Gyuri’s face when he surprises her with the flowers.

“Hey, you!” Eunhyuk heard as he was about to reach for the doorknob.

He rolled his eyes, thinking it was the security guard.

Annoyed, Eunhyuk turned around slowly, “Didn’t I already tell you I’m Lee Eunhy—”

Before Eunhyuk could finish his sentence, he felt a surge of pain come across his face. SMACK. Someone punched him square in the jaw, and with the immense force, he landed with a thud on the hard marble, sending the bouquet of flowers scattering carelessly along with him.

Eunhyuk’s eyes bowled over in reflex, and blankness overcame him.

As he turned and became unconscious, four men joined around his paralyzed body.

One of them took out their cell phone.

“Yes sir, we’ve got him.”

.

.