Rules are meant for protection

Rules are meant for protection (WITCHES)

“Hey...”

Sanghyun heard, upon opening his eyes.
Last thing he remembered was his sister crying.

“Where…where’s Dara?” – he asked, looking at Chaerin, who sat on a chair next to his bed, and avoided his eyes.

“Downstairs, preparing you dinner” – she answered, still not facing him.

“What happened?” – Sanghyun asked, sitting.

“Werewolves don’t  forget…” – was Chaerin’s confusing reply – “You can’t have a witch, and taste her blood. You’re a werewolf…” – she said, raising a hand to caress Sanghyun’s cheek. A bitter smile on her lips.

“Unworthy…” – He spoke, holding Chaerin’s hand on his face.

“Dangerous…” she spoke – “And I’m just as dangerous for you”

“I wouldn’t…”

“You wouldn’t be able to stop.” – Chaerin interrupted – “It’s your instinct…”

“It’s the wolf!” – Sanghyun argued. – “I’m not like this…”

“Sanghyun…”

“Sanghyun!”
It had been Dara’s voice, which had caused Chaerin to hide her hands on her pockets.
She entered the room, holding her brother tenderly. She had almost lost him…

“Are you okay? Is anything hurting?” – she asked, raising her hand to touch her brother’s forehead.

“I’m fine…” -  he smiled – “Just…dirty.”

Sanghyun looked at his chest and arms.
He had just noticed those drawings. Circles, words in dialects, animals, squares… it made no sense to him.

Sandara along with Bom, and Chaerin, had drawn those things. It had been part of a ritual.
They had to purify Sanghyun’s body, to eliminate the poison.
It had been a difficult and tiring task, but they could count on Minzy to keep balance. She had not achieved her full potential yet, but perhaps, she wouldn’t need it… Minzy had a natural talent for controlling dark creatures. And if it was really confirmed she was a prophet, not just a witch with strong intuition, she would have to remain like this…

During the purification ritual, the wolf had tried to escape from Sanghyun’s body. It had taken the form of a spectral wolf, showing its fangs in a frightening intention; its eyes sparkly gold…
It had been for Minzy accurately reciting a spell that it had gone back to its cage.  

Rituals like those are dangerous for both sides. The one who performs it and the one meant to be purified.
It’s necessary to be at ease, to focus, and to have control over your emotions.

Bom was worried, but an experienced witch never fails to complete its task.
Sandara was dying inside, but she knew it was extremely important to keep calm. It was her brother’s life.
Chaerin had many feelings mixed. She was worried, scared, guilty…
It had been her blood that had caused that. It was her fault…
Her lack of control had given the wolf the chance to escape.

Rules are meant for protection.
When a werewolf has a witch, it’ll go after her for more.
Because a witch is supposed to lay with a man only on the Halloween night, the wolf would kill her, to eat her flesh and drink her blood, after not getting what he had been looking for.

A drop of the witch’s blood would be enough for the wolf to beg for death.
Rules are meant for protection.
Rule number 1: you must never have a werewolf.


“I better get going then…” – Chaerin said, standing up.
It was very late now. The sweet waning moon giving the night a peaceful aura.

“Will I see you again?” – Sanghyun asked, looking at her. His voice with hints of hope and happiness.

It was Sandara who answered.
“Don’t be stupid…” – she said looking at him.
Changing her gaze to Chaerin, she completed:
“She’s my friend. Of course you’ll see her.”

Her words did not match her facial expression, Chaerin noticed.
A last look at Sanghyun and she crossed the door, staring at the floor when passing next Sandara.

One minute until she reached the front door.
Two steps from it, Sandara’s voice stopped her.

“CL…”

“I would never hurt him on purpose!” – Chearin replied, turning around with anger. He had never had the intention of hurting him. If she had known that was Sandara’s brother, she would have never chosen him, if that would keep him safe!
Still… she couldn’t help but repudiate the feelings of sorrow or regret.
Sanghyun had proved to be worth it.

“I just…wanted to thank you…” – Sandara spoke, not taking her eyes off of Chaerin. Her voice was low, her tone was soft. The usual tenderness on her eyes – “You saved him… even knowing what can happen, that he might try to…” – Sandara couldn’t find strength to complete her sentence. However, it had not been necessary. Chaerin would interrupt anyways.


“Kill me?” – She smiled. Not a bitter, or a sarcastic smile. A sincere one. – “I’ll put a leash on him, if you allow me.”

A leash.
That word had been enough for Sandara to brighten up.
They laughed together, strengthening the bond they had.

A leash…