Clear it Up.

Fogged Window

"Most days of the year are unremarkable. They begin, and they end, with no lasting memories made in between. Most days have no impact on the course of a life. May 23rd was a Wednesday."

-(500) Days of Summer.

 

Fogged Window

Soft lull of melody dance in the winds, pretty sprinkle rays of sunshine lights up the cold world. Shaking the drop of cold away as the sun slowly rises up on the heaven’s stars above.  Grass and trees laughs along with every dance they make with the stars watching the moon to hide and backs away to let it’s other half, the sun, to shine and warms up the coldness it has given to the world they protect and watch.

A brunette walks along the path going somewhere in between the villa and the beach. Eyes trained on the ground with nothingness, lips chapped for some reason, hair messy and damp from sweat—a sign that he had only waken up an hour ago.

Along the seemingly dark, endless path, he stops his jaunt. His once focused eyes that are trained on the ground, slowly looks up to the hazy road ahead of him. He looks at the road ahead of him in daze, his mind not functioning properly as if it’s a machine broken and needs an oil to function properly.

He slowly turns his head to the ocean afar, eyes outlining the sun that is slowly rising, rays of sunshine brushing off the coldness that is covering the world as he sees the world like a mirror of his own life.

**   **  **  **  **

January 3, 2018

CLICK!

Yixing pulls away the camera from his face and take a good look on the last photo he took. Pressing the small button on the upper left, he watches the photo comes into sight. He examines the photo he took with a careful observation.

A bud flower stands lonely on the graces of grass with pink shades on the bottom with a delightful contrasting light green on the top as the tightly wrapped petals; a flower that hasn’t grown yet to bloom its beauty to the world.

His thumb caressing the screen, trying to caress the bud flower that he took a picture of, yet, failed to caress for he knew he has no right to caress such thing.

**  **  **  **  **

A young brunette places a stacks of picture on a neat blue and long envelope imprinted with an embroidery of a flower, a symbol of their shop, before putting a brightly red seal mark to seal the envelope with its picture.

He takes out an empty folder from an open drawer and places the blue envelope inside. Closing the folder, he takes a marker and writes down the owner’s name of the photos on the small space on the upper right of the folder.

Kim Jongdae

Putting the marker down, he takes the folder and puts it back to the sea of folders, placing it together with the K’s.

**  **  **  ** **

“Yixing.” A young man with slit eyes, called out to the younger who was busy arranging each photos to each respective owners. The younger looks at him and blinks his eyes.

“Yeah?”

“Do you want to come with me for lunch?” Sungkyu, who is also the owner of the shop, offers. Yixing looks at him before shaking his head slowly.

“It’s okay. I’m not yet hungry. Sorry.” He politely rejects the offer before returning back to spread the photos and separates it and places each picture to its respective owner. Sungkyu sighs with a small smile on his face before nodding his head, respecting the younger’s answer.

“Okay. Just give me a call if you want to eat something, okay?” Sungkyu takes his leave, leaving Yixing stacking the photos.

**  **  **  **  **

Yixing greets Jongdae with a ‘Hello Jongdae’, who had just come in panting heavily.

“Sorry for not picking it up last week, Yixing. I’ve been busy with the other photographers and models.”

Shaking his head, Yixing pulls the long drawer and his fingers make it way to the K section. After a few passes of K’s, he finally stops at Kim Jongdae’s file and takes it out. He opens the folder and takes out a bulky envelope.

He gives the envelope to Jongdae and the younger takes it; when he finally got his breathe back. Yixing gave Jongdae a small smile with Jongdae smiling back at him.

“Thanks, Yixing.”

“No problem Jongdae. Come by again.”

**  **  **  **  **

CLICK!

Yixing pulls the camera away from his face and takes a look on the photo he took. It’s the same as before.

It’s the same bud flower he took a picture of.

It hasn’t bloom yet like he expected it would. Turning off the camera, he sighs. Closing his eyes, the cold covers him like a blanket.

**  **  **  **  **

Sungkyu enters the lounge room with newly fresh pictures on his hands.

“Yixing! Here’s a new photos for you to sepa-“Sungkyu stops his talk when he saw Yixing sleeping on the desk, breathing in and out, chest heaving up and down following the rhythm of the breathing making its own harmony, with pictures scattered below his arms and on the desk.

Sungkyu sighs mentally before a small smile appears on his face. He walks over to the small cabinet, opens it and takes out a purple blanket. Closing the doors of the cabinet, Sungkyu walks to the sleeping brunette and gently covers the younger with the small yet warm blanket, carefully covering the brunette’s body without waking up the younger.

He slowly retreats and takes his leave, closing the door behind him, leaving Yixing sleeping peacefully.

**  **  **  **  **

 “Yixing!” A young boy calls out to the brunette who is walking his way to work. The said man turns his head to the face the boy who called him out. The young man runs up to Yixing, who stood at his place; watching him run up to him.

“What is it, Luhan?” He softly asks to the older. Luhan giggles and latched his arm to Yixing’s arm, which in return raised an eyebrow at him.

“Let’s have breakfast!” The older practically yelled with excitement on his voice. Yixing blinks at him before prying away Luhan’s arm off from his arm. He shakes his head.

“Sorry Luhan, but I have to get to work. I already ate my breakfast at home.” Yixing replied with a poker face. Luhan pouted, lips pursed together, cheeks blushing in deep red as he puffs his cheeks.

“Tha-“He was cut off when Yixing interceded.

“Luhan. I said I ate my breakfast at home. And I have to get to work.” Yixing’s words hold the finality making Luhan shut his mouth and with eyes watery; he walks away dejectedly. Yixing sighs and watches Luhan’s retreating form before starting his walk again to work.

**  **  **  **  **

“Here you go, Jongdae.” Yixing gives the blue envelope to Jongdae who took it with a smile. He puts the envelope in his satchel and closes it back. He faces the older and asks.

“Did something happen between you and Luhan?” Jongdae asks and Yixing’s eyes reflected a bit of guilt and Jongdae didn’t miss it. He sighs before putting a hand on Yixing’s shoulder.

“Say sorry to him, okay? He won’t do any good at the photo shoot these past few days and the producers and photographers are getting annoyed by it.”

Yixing groans but nods his head anyway.

“Okay, I’ll go apologize later.”

Jongdae smiles at him and pats his shoulder before taking his leave.

**  **  **  **  **

It was late night, the moon has already providing its own light to the cold world yet it wasn’t enough. Yixing is plopped down on his bed, holding a phone on his ear, waiting for someone to pick up.

After a few more rings, someone finally picked up.

“Hello?” A sleepy and slight hoarse voice answered the call. Yixing took a sharp inhale of air before exhaling and muttered.

“I’m sorry.”

The other line was silent as Yixing patiently waits for the response on the other line. After a few minutes of silence, the person on the other line finally spoke.

“Apology accepted.” A chuckle came afterwards and a small smile etched on Yixing’s face.

“Thank you Luhan.” He softly said and he heard another chuckle from Luhan on the other side before they engage into a long-night-morning conversation.

**  **  **  **  **

It was raining, the small drops of water splashes the cold pavement ground. The sky seems to be crying with no reason. Yixing stands beside the wall, letting his shoulder lean on the wall for support.

He looks outside, the world full of cheers, laughter and dreams in the eyes of others yet to his eyes, it’s nothing but black and white. The colour of the dull is the only thing he can see.

The trees that were supposed to be freshly green, the colour of the crying sky that is a mixture of black, white and gray, the colours of the lights—red, yellow, and white is all dull.

Everything is foggy.

The world he sees through his window is nothing but surreal and blurred. Everything is dull. He can’t see through the window. He can’t see the world he wanted to see the most.

Why?

Sounds of deafening raindrops answered his question.

Ah. I see.

He crossed his arms on his chest and continues to look at the foggy window with a longing look.

**  **  **  **  **

Everything repeats.

**   **  **  **  **

Yixing places the 50 pieces picture in a neat white and long envelope, an embroidery of flower on the front and back panel of the envelope; a symbol of their shop. After putting the photos inside, Yixing takes a gum out of the small box he just took out awhile ago. He takes a red gum and places it on the sealing place before taking out a sealing machine. He places the envelope and aligns the gum on the round metal symbolizing with a flower and butterfly as its embroidery.

He slowly pushes down the lever with the round sealer goes down and carefully the sealer presses down to the gum with not too much pressure, afraid of ruining the photos inside. Waiting a bit, Yixing pulls the lever up with the sealer going up and Yixing takes out the envelope.

A nicely seal mark is on the sealing place, complimenting the white envelope with its beauty.

Yixing places the envelope on a folder and puts the owner’s name on the side.

Oh Sehun

He took out a post-stick and writes down with a marker and paste the post stick on the font folder.

50 photos (of Luhan)

Yixing chuckles before putting down the marker and places the folder on the drawer.

**  **  **  **  ** **

“Hey, Yixing.” Sungkyu calls out to the younger who is busy separating the photos for each respective owners. They got a lot of photos to develop off; a lot of photographers and some citizens came to make their pictures alive.

After staying up for two days at the shop, Sungkyu finally gave the fresh photos to Yixing to separate and stack up.

Yixing hums at Sungkyu’s call.

“I’m going out for lunch. Do you want to come? You can separate that later.” Sungkyu offers to the younger. Yixing looks up to him before politely rejecting it.

“I’m sorry, Sungkyu hyung. I’ll just stay here and separate these. I’m not hungry yet.” Yixing softly rejected it and Sungkyu understands.

“Okay, if you say so. Just give me a call when you want to eat something, okay?”

Yixing nods at him before waving his hand as a farewell when Sungkyu takes his leave.

**  **  **  **  ** 

“Hey, Yixing hyung.” A dirty blonde young man greets the brunette who is busy arranging the folders that is scattered on the glass counter. Yixing looks up at him and smiles.

“Hey, Sehun.” He greeted back and the younger nodded his head. “Your photos, right?”

Sehun nodded his head enthusiastically making Yixing chuckle. Rummaging through the piles of folders, Yixing finally found the younger’s folder.

He opens the folder and took out the white envelope and gave it to the younger.

“50 pieces, right?” Yixing asks for confirmation as he secretly takes away the post-stick quickly and Sehun answers back with a small ‘yes’.

“Thank you, hyung. The payment will be on check later on.” Sehun spoke as he held the envelope with care yet with excitement to open it and Yixing didn’t miss it.

“Sure, I’ll go take it later.” Yixing replies with a smile on his face. “Come back again soon.”

“I will!” And Sehun takes his leave, happiness evident on his face.

**  **  **  **  **

Jongdae, Sehun and Luhan are Yixing’s best friends at photography. They were best friends since middle school and they dreamed of being famous photographers.

Jongdae and Sehun achieved their dreams while Luhan strayed on the path and chose a different path; a modeling career.

“Even though I love taking pictures very much, I prefer to be the object of photography, so it’s not a loss at all.”

Is what Luhan said, when they first heard the news of him being a model instead of being a photographer.

While Yixing stayed on the path together with Jongdae and Sehun. He also achieves his dream to be a photographer. He was famous together with Jongdae and Sehun yet he strides away from the path he finally achieves and takes a turn.

He turns to the path where photos are being developed. Three levels below the careers of being a photographer and model.

“It’s not a loss actually. It still relates to photography. I develop photos. I see and hold cameras and photos. There’s no loss on it. In fact, I’m ahead of you guys.”

It was a big turn, from being at the top class to go down to the low-class. It’s definitely a surprise for them when they first heard it from him. They tried to persuade him to stop thinking irrational decisions but his mind was set.

And so he did fulfill his wish.

**  **  **  **  **

Sungkyu gives a camera to Yixing to which the younger holds it with confusion.

“What is this?” Yixing asks, looking at the camera then to Sungkyu. Sungkyu smirks before speaking up.

“It’s a camera.”

“I know it’s a camera, but what am I going do with it?” Yixing asks with a raised eyebrow, confusion evident on his face. Sungkyu chuckles and ruffles the younger’s hair.

“You’re going to develop photos, you idiot.”

Yixing blinks.

“Oh…right.”

**  **  **  **  ** 

No matter how many days’ passes, every day passes the same like yesterday.

**  **  **  **  **

Yixing’s life revolves around going to work and goes back home; and the cycle repeats.

Yixing has different duties on each day yet it’s the same for the next week. Wednesday and Thursday are developing photos; Friday is where he separates and stacks photos for each respective owner and on Monday are the pick-ups of the photos and Tuesday is where he questions himself and takes a picture of the world around him.

Everything has its own differences yet the routine is dangerously the same and the only differences are that different people come in and some scenes are added or not.

And no one is going to break that routine.

**  **  **  **  **

It's Monday morning of March. Daffodils are playing on the fields and the graces of the grass wants to dance and their wish were granted when the breeze passes by and makes a soft melody of song.

Lovebirds flirt with each other and fly around with the cold breeze. A hazy point of view and soon became clear. Making sure the angle is right, a forefinger threatening to press the small button located on top.

After waiting few moments, the lovebirds come in view and the forefinger presses the small button.

CLICK!

Putting down the camera, he opens the photo gallery and slides it down to the photo he just took.

In the photo, the birds were beautiful and nice, a smile on their face but why does it seems to be they are frowning in Yixing’s point of view?

“There’s no colour at all. I can’t even recognize it…it’s blurred.”

Yixing shakes his head and sighs, resting the camera on his lap.

“It’s so hazy…”

**  **  **  **  **

Yixing finished stacking up the photos and putting it on the envelopes. After placing each respective folder on each section, he got a call. Yixing taps his jeans for his phone but when he doesn’t find it, he goes look it up in his satchel.

Good thing, it was in the satchel.

He takes his phone out and answers the call.

“Hello?” He greets as he looks up to the ceiling.

“Hello? Xing? Is that you?” An unfamiliar voice responded making Yixing knit his eyebrows together. Trying hard to recognize the voice to hide his embarrassment of not recognizing the voice, he failed.

“Umm, who are you?” He dejectedly sighs and a groan could be heard on the other line.

“Stupid, this is Joonmyeon.” When he heard the name Joonmyeon, his mind showed up the results for Joonmyeon in his mind. Joonmyeon is his older adopted brother. His parents adopted Joonmyeon when the older boy was 10 while he was 7 years old meaning Joonmyeon is 3 years older than him. He loves and cares for his hyung very much.

“Oh, Joonmyeon. How are you?” Yet, he has no respect for the older, though.

“Hyung. Please add a hyung after my name, okay? I’m good. You?” Joonmyeon sounded a little irritated from the lack of manners his younger brother is giving him.

“Nothing much. Pretty the same.” Yixing ignored the ‘hyung-related part’ on Joonmyeon’s response.

“Oh, I see. Do you want to meet up with me?” Joonmyeon’s voice held the anticipation and Yixing felt guilty for his answer.

“Ah…sorry. Joonmyeon. I’m quite tired today.” Yixing apologizes with a sigh following it.

Joonmyeon sighs on the other line and Yixing could feel Joonmyeon nodding his head on the other side. “Hmm, okay. Let’s meet up next time.”

Feeling guiltier, Yixing apologizes again. “Sorry.”

“No need. Thanks, bye Yixing.” Then he hangs up before Yixing could even respond back. “Bye.” Yixing says before pocketing his phone on his jeans and goes to the lounge room to rest.

**  **  **  **  **

It was raining, the small drops of water splashes the cold pavement ground. The sky seems to be crying with no reason. Yixing stands beside the wall, letting his shoulder lean on the wall for support.

He looks outside, the world full of cheers, laughter and dreams in the eyes of others yet to his eyes, it’s nothing but black and white. The colour of the dull is the only thing he can see.

The trees that were supposed to be freshly green, the colour of the crying sky that is a mixture of black, white and gray, the colours of the lights—red, yellow, and white is all dull.

Everything is foggy.

The world he sees through his window is nothing but surreal and blurred. Everything is dull. He can’t see through the window. He can’t see the world he wanted to see the most.

Why?

Sounds of deafening raindrops answered his question.

Ah. I see.

He crossed his arms on his chest and continues to look at the foggy window with longing to see the world outside.

**  **  **  **  **

Everyday is the same like yesterday and today.

**  **  **  **  **

Wednesday on the month of May of 2018

Yixing focuses the camera on the bud flower. It’s the same bud flower that he took a picture of twice. It’s still the same like yesterday and the day when he first looked at it.

Focusing the camera at the bud flower that has pink shades at the bottom and a delightful contrasting of light green at the top as petals, his forefinger threatens to press the small button located on top.

It’s dull. The colour is dull. There’s no such thing as colour.

Focusing on it, he presses the small button located on top of the camera. A loud ‘click!’ could be heard after he pressed the button.

Opening up the photo gallery, he slides to the last photo and looks at the picture of the bud flower.

It’s so dull.

“Why?” A new voice appears and replies to his sentence but Yixing doesn’t seem to care.

“There’s no colour at all. I can’t even see it clearly. It’s so foggy.”

Yixing’s thumb caresses the screen, outlining the bud flower, trying to caress the bud flower but failed miserably.

“Why?” The same question has repeated. Yixing looks up at the person who just came in to disturb his peaceful night.

As he turn his head to the person, he came in face to face, a young man in his twenties, unkempt hair dyed in dirty blonde, eyes holding the ancient look yet still holds the glint of treasures,  who is smiling at him deeply complimenting his handsome face that makes him more handsome.

“May I help you?” Yixing softly asks the stranger.

A small crack appears on the foggy window.

The person nods his head and takes a sit beside Yixing on the bench.

“Yes. I actually need your help.” The person unashamedly responded without even bothering telling his name. Yixing nodded his head, putting his locks behind his ear.

“What is it?”

“I’m a writer or maybe an ex-writer but my point is I’m a writer. I haven’t gotten any inspiration lately but when the first time I saw you, I grew curious of you.  I’ve been watching you lately. Always watching you sit on the same bench of everyday sunset, taking pictures of the same thing every day. And I wonder why you are taking pictures of the same thing every day. And today, I want to ask you and then I heard you saying it’s dull, my curiosity grew.”

Yixing listened carefully; absorbing every word the man is saying to him, sinking it to his mind yet not bothering to digest it.

“And your point is?” Yixing spoke after Kris’ ended his talks. Kris chuckles and smiles, amused at the response Yixing gave to him.

“I want you to be my object of my writing.”

An uncertain uneasiness paints his mind.

**  **  **  **  **

A young brunette places stacks of picture in a neat blue and long envelope imprinted with an embroidery of a flower, a symbol of their shop, before putting a brightly red seal mark to seal the envelope with its picture.

He takes out an empty folder from the open drawer and places the blue envelope inside. Closing the folder, he takes a marker and writes down the owner’s name of the photos on the small space on the upper right of the folder.

Kim Jongdae

Putting the marker down, he takes the folder and puts it back to the sea of folders, placing it together with the K’s.

Pushing the drawer back to its place, Yixing feels something odd. He doesn’t know why he feels like this but he knows something is odd.

But he shrugs it off a bit later on when what he is doing the same thing yesterday happens today.

**  **  **  **  **

And Yixing knew he shouldn’t shrug the feeling of oddness when the person he met the last two nights came when Sungkyu was offering him for lunch.

“Good morning Yixing.” The man greeted as he enters the shop. Sungkyu takes a double look on Yixing.

“You know this man, Yixing?” Sungkyu pointed at the man who interrupted his offering to Yixing for lunch.  Yixing blinks before nodding his head.

“Yeah, I know him but barely though.”  Yixing responded and emphasized the word 'barely' because he knows Sungkyu could make such simple words the opposite of it. He could feel anxiety building up on his stomach for some reason as he eyes the man.

A simple ‘Oh.’ was Sungkyu’s response before a bright smile reflected on his face, he takes his leave but not before telling the man to take Yixing out for lunch since he hasn’t eaten yet.

Yixing stares at the door for awhile where Sungkyu takes his leave and left him to a man he barely he knows. He’s pretty sure he made himself clear enough by emphasizing barely.

A chuckle broke his trance as he swivelled his head to face the man.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing. I’m just amused to see you like this, being so quiet, calm and dull.” The man amusingly spoke as he ambles his way to Yixing.

He stops in front of the counter and stares at Yixing’s eyes who stared back at him; he smiles blankly.

“So let’s have a lunch, shall we?”

Another crack on the window.

**  **  **  **  **

“Thanks Yixing.” Jongdae thanked Yixing as he put the blue envelope in his satchel and Yixing smiles as a response.

“You’re welcome. Come by again.” Yixing bid farewell to his best friend who took his leave and thinking that there’s nothing more to do since its past 9 pm already, he’s wrong.

A man came in after Jongdae took his leave. He looks around the shop with a smirk on his face and chuckles afterwards.

“So every Monday, the customers pick it up. Great.” The man spoke, pure amusement on his voice. Yixing felt another anxiety piles up on his stomach. He watches the man takes out a small notebook out of his expensive looking satchel before writing something down and putting it back to his bag.

The man smiles at Yixing before taking his leave.

And Yixing felt relieved after awhile.

But another crack is on the window.

**  **  **  **  **

It was raining, the small drops of water splashes the cold pavement floor. The sky seems to be crying for no reason. Yixing stands beside the wall, letting his shoulder lean on the wall for support.

He looks outside, the world full of cheers, laughter and dreams in the eyes of others yet to his eyes, it’s nothing but black and white. The colour of the dull is the only thing he can see.

But something changes.

The trees that were supposed to be freshly green, the colour of the crying sky that is a mixture of black, white and gray, the colours of the lights—red, yellow, and white seems to having its colour back.

Everything is a bit clear but it's still hazy.

Even the foggy window is not too all foggy; it’s a bit clear but it still has the fog.

The world he sees through his window is showing a bit colour. It’s not dull anymore; instead it has some colours but not all. A small smile plays on Yixing’s face.

There’s a colour but how did this happen?

The sounds of deafening raindrops didn’t answer him this time and Yixing sighs with a smile on his face.

Guess I’ll find it out for myself.

He crossed his arms on his chest and continues to look at the not too foggy window.

**  **  **  **  **

Someone’s breaking the repeating play.

**  ** ** ** **

Yixing is sitting down on his purple leather couch with his knees up at his chest, hugging them; blankly gazing at the man who is busy writing down something on the notebook he is always carrying on his bag.

“Tell me, Yixing. Why do you think the world is dull?” The man who goes by the name Wufan also known as Kris, asks as he jots down something on his plain yellow brown page notebook.

Yixing ponders but not really, though. He already knows what to answer since he always repeats the same answers every single day to his questions that he kept formulating and repeating on his mind, so he doesn’t need to think.

The world is dull because there’s no colour at all. The window to the real world is foggy. Everything is clouded by the wisp of fog.”

Kris nods his head and jots down what Yixing said before speaking up.

“That’s all for today, Yixing. I’ll come back tomorrow.” Kris spoke as he stands up and takes his leave, closing the door behind him, leaving Yixing dazedly staring at nothing but he felt a heavy and uncomfortable uneasiness settle on his stomach.

Another crack on the window.

**  **  **  **  **

“Ah, Yixing good timing!” Sungkyu cheers as he saw Yixing walks in to the shop. Yixing bows and greeted his boss.

“Ah, thank you, thank you. So Yixing, the shop will be closed for a month.” Sungkyu announced with a bright smile but Yixing just gaped at the news he had just heard.

“What?” He asks once he regained his composure. Sungkyu grins and spoke again.

“The shop will be closed for a month!” Sungkyu cheers again and Yixing couldn’t believe what he said. They haven’t done such things as far he could remember. The shop is always busy and open. And even holidays can’t stop them from opening and now they are going to be closed for a month?

There is another anxiety and uneasiness piles up at Yixing’s stomach.

“Why?” He whispers weakly.

“I’m going to France next week to take in charge of Woohyun’s music and dance studio for awhile. He gave me a call yesterday and told me to come because he can’t control the amount of people piling up on his studio and he needs help, so I agreed.” Sungkyu explained why he needs to close his shop and Yixing knew he couldn’t stop him, so he just reluctantly nods his head and smiles weakly. He was about to head to the staff room when Sungkyu stops him from doing so.

“Ah, Yixing. Today we’re not going to open since my flight will be this night so you’re free to go! Don’t worry about the photos that are needed to be developed. They’re finished. And the photographers don’t have any photo shoots to do and their schedule is quite loose, so a month will do.”

Yixing nods his head wearily and bows before turning his heels away and goes out of the shop.

A large crack is added to the window, the window having a large crack from the top to the bottom.

**  **  **  **  ** 

Yixing doesn’t know how he ended up like this.

His daily routine has been broken completely. These past few days aren’t going well and are off track from his routine. The things that he is used to do is completely broken. He doesn’t know what to do anymore.

A month of vacation.

A month of a broken play.

Anxiety, panic and uneasiness pound him in the head and heart.  His stomach churns in pain, and Yixing couldn’t help but be a broken window.

The foggy window is broken.

**  **  **  **  **

It was raining, the small drops of water splashes the cold pavement floor. The sky seems to be crying for no reason. Yixing stands beside the wall, letting his shoulder lean on the wall for support.

He looks outside, the world full of cheers, laughter and dreams in the eyes of others yet to his eyes, it’s nothing but black and white. The colour of the dull is the only thing he can see.

But something changes.

The trees that were supposed to be freshly green, the colour of the crying sky that is a mixture of black, white and gray, the colours of the lights—red, yellow, and white seems to have its own colour back.

Everything is a bit clearer than before but the fog is visible

The window is broken.

The world he sees through his window is showing a bit more colour. It’s not dull anymore; instead it has some more colours than before but not all. A small smile plays on Yixing’s face.

There’s a colour but how did this happen?

The sounds of deafening raindrops didn’t answer him again and Yixing sighs with a smile on his face.

Guess I’ll find it out for myself.

He crossed his arms on his chest and continues to look at the a bit clear window.

**  **  **  **  **

A knock is collected on the door of Yixing’s house and it resonated on the quiet dark house. Kris is standing outside of the house; another interview is to be processed for his novel.

After waiting a few minutes, Kris was about to knock again when the door opened.

“He-“ Kris stops when he saw Yixing standing in front of him, unkempt hair, pale skin and his body seems becoming thinner.

Kris grew worried for the younger.

“Hey, is there something wrong?” He asks as he carefully observes the younger who didn’t respond instead opens the door more, inviting Kris to his house before taking his leave and disappears in the hallway.

Kris was flabbergasted at the action executed; he resolves to know what is wrong and fix it. It’s not for him nor for Yixing, it’s for the sake of the novel he is making.

He closes the door, takes his shoes off and follows the hallway and found Yixing on the living room, on the couch specifically curled up into a ball.

And Kris didn’t hesitate to waste a second as he quickly made his way to Yixing and sat beside him. He was shocked when he heard a couple of soft hiccup and sniffles.

‘Yixing is crying…’

“Hey, hey….what’s wrong?” He carefully chose his words to ask; afraid he might escalate the younger’s sobbing and hopes he will not.

But it did.

Not knowing what to do, his body did the work. His arms wrapped around Yixing curled up ball form and whispers ‘I’m here’ like a chant.

**  **  **  **  **

“What do you mean?” Kris asks as he caresses Yixing’s soft and silky hair, who is resting on his lap. Yixing looks at him and hums.

“You asked me what are days for me, before right? The first time when we met. You asked me what life is and I answered…” Yixing trailed off.

Everything is frothy. Every day is unremarkable and of no worth...”

“Exactly.”

“So what’s your point?” Kris asks as he stops playing with Yixing’s soft locks. Yixing faced him and frowns.

“Every day has no single worth or good memories. The same thing repeats. The same scenes repeat. Everything repeats. And there’s no time or slot for a memory to be made in between of those days.”

Yixing puffs his cheeks as Kris tilts his head in confusion still not getting his point.

Yixing sighs.

“You’re a writer but you’re slow. Oh gosh.”

“Will you just tell me already?” Kris annoyingly huffed out, lips threatening to pout. Yixing groans before turning his body and make his head face Kris’ stomach.

“What I’m saying is that, I was able to make memories when we first met each other and the following days when you disrupt my broken play.”

**  **  **  **  **

“My life is broken recorder on play Wufan.” Yixing said one day in between of the days of Monday to Friday. His head resting on Wufan’s lap, as he dazedly play with the hem of his shirt. Wufan looks at him surprised and in time, Yixing gazes at him before returning his attention back to his hem.

“There’s nothing to be surprised for, Kris.” Yixing spoke as he starts to play with Kris’ shirt. Kris sighs mentally before clearing his throat.

“I’m not. I just got startled when you said that out of the blue.” Kris reasoned out even though it’s obvious that he’s really surprised, but Yixing bought it anyways and hums in response.

Soon enough, Yixing got tired playing with Kris’ shirt and doze off. Kris’ smiles and caresses Yixing’s locks.

"I'll fix you, though."
 

**  **  **  **  **

Kris is merely nothing for Yixing. He’s just some unrecognized person that he can’t clearly see but let him do whatever he wants. He just barely knew him. He doesn’t even know his status, age and background. He only knew his name and occupation and that’s all.

He doesn’t care anyways. He doesn’t see the colours in life and he will never be.

Even though the foggy window to life is already open for him to see the colours of his life.

**  **  **   * * * *

For Kris, Yixing is an interesting person. He sees Yixing as a window that is full of mysteriousness that he can’t see due to that his window of life is foggy and blurred. He can’t see anything except the façade and masked being of Yixing. He wants to know and learn more of him. He wants the younger to open up to him and he wants to be the one to deflower him.

He wants to be the one to break the window for Yixing to see him and for him to see Yixing.

But he already did.

**  **  **  **  **

I want to change for the better.”

**  **  **  **  **

“Where are we going, Wufan?” Yixing asks as he squirms on his seat, restless because he doesn’t know where Kris is going to take him and he doesn’t even recognize the place they are passing by.

“Where are we going,, Wufan?” Yixing repeats the question when Kris didn’t answer. Kris didn’t take his eyes away from the road and simply ignores Yixing’s repeated question. He simply wants to see Yixing’s behaviour when he goes to another place he doesn’t recognize. He wanted a reaction, a progress for his novel.

And he got what he wanted.

Yixing couldn’t help but squirm on his seat, playing with his fingers, and biting his lips as he restlessly couldn’t help but panic in the inside and asks himself where they are going.

And Kris smiles at the fidgeting and nervous Yixing.

** ** ** ** ** **

“Wufan…where are we?” Yixing asks after he steps out of the car. In front of Yixing is  the soft titters of children together with their moms and dads, clowns and mascots handing out a balloon to the children, sets of booths of foods and toys and a lot of rides and Ferris wheel showing it’s majestic and beautiful lights and size.

Wufan raised an eyebrow on him, confused why Yixing doesn't know such a simple place.

“Don’t you know a carnival?” Wufan asks in bewilderment and Yixing shakes his head.

“No, I haven’t gone into a carnival yet. I was a sickly child when I was young. I always stay at home or either hospitals. It’s definitely suffocating you know.”

“Well, what do you think of this place?” Wufan asks as his eyes trained at Yixing, watching his every single movement. Yixing opens his mouth before shutting it again and shakes his head. Disappointment filled Kris’ face but when he heard Yixing said after, he had a hope.

“I still don’t know.” Yixing looks at Kris and their eyes met. “Will you show me around?” Yixing asks as he tilts his head. A show of glint in his eyes is seen and Kris smiles at the result he got.

“Gladly.”

~

The tour around the carnival is fun and Kris feels his heart in bliss at Yixing’s laughs and smiles; two dimples prominent and for show.

He couldn’t help but smile and laugh together with Yixing and his heart couldn’t help but to beat faster than usual and feel butterflies in his stomach whenever he sees Yixing smile, laugh or call his name.

“Wufan.”

With that single call, dawn of revelation sunk on Kris’ mind. And he now knows why he feeling this way, this past few weeks where he feels his heart flutter when Yixing would call him for dinner every night, when Yixing would smile, his dimple prominent on his cheek.

And when he would have butterflies in his stomach whenever Yixing would call his name.

Love.

Kris does everything to know him and learn more about him. He wants the younger to open up to him and he wants to be the one to deflower him.

And he did.

He was able to make Yixing open up to him. These past few weeks, Yixing opens  up to him, one by one he tells what he likes, what he doesn’t like, what are his favourites and others.

He felt proud at his accomplishment.

He felt a sweet happiness on his heart.

**************

They’re on the Ferris wheel and Yixing is near the window, watching the outside world with a smile.

And Kris could help but smile and feel proud of himself for seeing the younger happy and was able to return the shine on the younger’s eyes again.

While watching the younger beside him watching the outside world with amazement while on top, Kris remembers the novel he is writing about Yixing; the book about Yixing and his dull world. But seeing this and the change of heart and head when he saw Yixing was crying; he didn’t care for the novel anymore.

The corners of his lips lifts up and he lovingly gaze at Yixing who is still watching the outside world when the brunette turns around and looks at him with one of his breathtaking smile and Kris knew he lost it.

“Yixing.” He firmly calls out the younger and the younger blinks before responding a simple ‘yeah?’

Kris looks at Yixing’s eyes that held the thousands emotions. He saw himself. He saw himself at Yixing’s reflection and he could see Yixing on it also.

The window is open.

Kris smiles and held Yixing’s chin and leans his face forward to Yixing’s face. The younger didn’t move at all instead he just sat frozen there on his place. Kris slowly closes his eyes and latches his lips to Yixing’s pink, soft and small lips.

Yixing closes his eyes as he felt Kris’ lips on his and let himself fall into a moment of bliss. Kris could only think how their lips were perfectly marvelled for each other.

They continued to kiss with a simple, warm and gentle kissing.

They let the kiss tell how they feel for each other, at how their hearts beats loudly and clear for each other and how their minds could only think of each other.

And how they love each other so strong and beautiful.

** ** ** ** **

Yixing, as days pass by, is not a broken recorder on play anymore. In fact he’s properly functioning, all metals and wire fixed and he records everyday with colours and happiness and with different scenes and days.

** ** ** ** **

The rain has stopped.

The colours are back.

The sun has risen and the window is new and clear.

** ** ** ** **

2 years later

Yixing focuses the camera on the newly bloomed flower. It’s petal having a pink shades at the bottom and with a delightful contrasting colour as the top. The empty stem having it beautifully adorned by petals of rare colour, makes Yixing smiles.

The bud flower that he always takes a picture off finally blooms its beauty to the world and Yixing could finally caress it with adornment.

“Is the foggy window of reality clears up?” A voice asks and Yixing was caught startled for awhile.

That voice…

When the realization struck on him, he broadly smiles, his dimple prominent than ever.

“The fogged window is gone already for the past two years. The window of reality is already wide and clear.” A pair of arms wraps around Yixing’s neck. “The colours have returned, the once surreal, dull and blurred world is no more. The soft hue of the dawn and dusk paints the world. The window is clear now.” He softly spoke with passion and beauty on his soft hue of voice.

A deep chuckle resonated on his ears and Yixing smiles at the voice he longed to hear and now he had finally hears it again.

“Turn your face, Yixing.”

Yixing turns his head to the side and a soft, warm and gentle kiss was placed on his lips.

Wrapping his arms around his neck, he smiles at kiss and so does Kris. After a few minutes, they pulled off, and Yixing’s eyes held the love and longing while Kris has the same hold of emotion.

“I love you.” Yixing confessed shyly, blush brushing on his cheeks. Kris pecks him on the nose and grins at him.

“I love you too, Yixing.”

**  **  **  ** **

May 23rd, 2020

Soft lull of melody dance in the winds, pretty sprinkle rays of sunshine lights up the cold world. Shaking the drop of cold away as the sun slowly rises up on the heaven’s stars above.  Grass and trees laughs along with every dance they make with the stars watching the moon to hide and backs away to let it’s other half, the sun, to shine and warms up the coldness it has given to the world they protect and watch.

A brunette walks along the path going somewhere in between the villa and the beach. Eyes trained on the ground with nothingness, lips chapped for some reason, hair messy and damp from sweat—a sign that he had only waken up an hour ago.

Along the seemingly dark endless path, he stops his jaunt. His once focused eyes that are trained on the ground, slowly looks up to the hazy road ahead of him. He looks at the road ahead of him in daze, his mind not functioning properly as if it’s a machine broken and needs an oil to function properly.

He slowly turns his head to the ocean afar, eyes outlining the sun that is slowly rising, rays of sunshine brushing off the coldness that is covering the world as he sees the world like a mirror of his own life.

~

Lay walks along the path of the scattered sands, the waves of the ocean touching his feet before retreating back and repeating the process again. After a few jaunts, he stops at his jaunt and look at the not yet still risen sun.

Lay sits on the vast sand and brought his knees up to his chest and idly looks at the sun. He places the book on the sand beside him and watches the beautiful sun slowly rise up.

A tear fell down from his eye and soon he was crying. He buries his head on his knees and brought his knees much closer to his chest, sobbing hard, gritting his teeth on the process.

The wind passes by and the cover of the book and several pages turns and stops on the last page of the last chapter.

 

“If you would remember the day when we met, then I’m happy that you could remember. May 23rd was a Wednesday where I first met and fell in love with you.”


Author's note: Kris died on May 21st, 2020 due to a disease in his heart:  a cardiac dysrhythmias, to be precise and he also continued his novel about Yixing but up to the part before the italicized paragraph. And also, the italicized words are the present. The normal font is the book itself or the past you might say.

Yixing after his 'window' being broken, or you might say the day when Wufan barged in his life, brought the colors back to Yixing's life. The broken recorder on play (repeating days) has been fixed or has been changed.

Kris is a former novel writer of life. He writes novel based on real life even though it should be fictional. He's best friend is none other than Yixing's adopted older brother, Joonmyeon . Kris is 27 when he died. 

Yixing was a former photographer. He worked as a developer of photos. His life is based on a broken recorder on play. Every day is unimportant to him, until Kris came and disturb his repeating days. He later on, finds out that Joonmyeon is Kris' best friend after Kris died. He became blind a year after and dies after 2 years. He dies at the age of 28 where Kris would be 30 years old.

 

P.S.: Hope all of you like it ^^ Feel free to comment down for me to know what you feel. Thank you for reading this :)