Ten: Reason

The Scent Of Rain

“Can you please send this to Mr. Kim? Please? Hm?” Nana clasped her hands together, shooting stars through her eyes.

“Yeah, I’ll go.” I sighed and took the attendance list from her.

“Yay, Song Miyeon, you’re the best friend ever!” she gave me a big hug, causing me to stiffen up but then she quickly retreated when she realized that I wasn’t feeling comfortable. “Sorry…”

“It’s okay; I’m still working on it. Next time I’ll try my best not to stiffen up.” I said with full determination.

“Oh!” Nana nodded in agreement.

I walked out of the class and headed straight to the teachers’ office. Then I had a little chat with Mr. Kim about the upcoming exam and handed him the attendance list before I left. Study session would start in 20 minutes so I decided to buy myself a can of coffee from the vending machine and rest on a bench next to it. Taking a sip from the can, I stared into space, thinking about how my future would turn out until someone came knocking on my head.

I moaned in pain and rubbed my head, glaring at the person who caused the pain. But when I realized who it was, I could only let out a light sigh and stay silent.

“Hey there lonely girl,” Sungyeol flashed a big grin as he sat down next to me. I gave him a nod and drank up the coffee. Then he took out a lollipop from his pocket and tore it open before he stuffed it into his mouth.

“You’re not late today,” I finally said after a few seconds of silence.

Sungyeol replied with a soft chuckle. Then he scratched his head and exhaled loudly, stretching his long legs.

“I went to my grandma’s house to have breakfast with her everyday.”

“Huh?” I turned to face him and raised my eyebrows, surprised that he was talking about his grandmother.

“That’s why I’m late,” he smiled lightly, settling his gaze on me. “You always asked me why I’m late, right?”

“Oh…” I nodded slowly. Then I clasped my hand on my lap and cleared my throat before I spoke up once more. “Did you cry?”

“Of course, I really loved her.” he stared straight ahead, his palms resting on the flat surface of the bench. He seemed like he was drifting away for a moment but then he looked at me with a startled expression. “Yaa, why are you crying?”

“I don’t know.” I covered my face with my hands and sobbed. “It’s sad.”

“Yeah, it’s really sad.” He placed his arm around my shoulder and said nothing else.

 

~~v~~

 

“Good morning, Ara-ya.” I greeted Ara when I came across her at the school gate.

“Hey,” she smiled, holding up a hand.

Both of us walked side by side, heading towards our class.

“So, how are things going so far?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Fine.” She nodded, gripping the straps of her back pack firmly. “I’m a little tired though. I studied until midnight.”

“Yaa, you know it’s not good for your health.”

“I didn’t do it on purpose.” She shook her head. “Did you study for the pop quiz?”

“A little.” I chuckled. At the corner of my eye, I noticed Nana walking back from the toilet. “Oh, it’s Nana.”

I tried waving at her but she seemed like she didn’t see me so I called out her name. She turned around, looking at both of us with a tired face. Her face was surprisingly pale. Usually she would wear makeup but today she was way different. It wasn’t makeup that made her face look pale. As I neared her, I could see dark circles on her eyes. What had she been doing?

“Nana-ya, you don’t look so good.” Ara placed her hand on Nana’s shoulder.

“I’m fine.” Nana smiled weakly.

“No, you’re not. Are you sick?”

“I said I’m fine!” she suddenly snapped, causing both of us to flinch in response.

Then she walked away, leaving us behind. She didn’t get to walk that far though because seconds later she fell to the ground.

Nana had passed out.