Baby Don't Cry

Seohyun - Songfic Collection

9tiANmB.jpg

 

OgAG88U.jpg

 

 

Baby Don't Cry - EXO

Don’t hesitate another minute please take away my heart
Yes, the sharper the better, the night that even the moon has closed her eyes
If it were any other man, if it were a single verse taken from a comedy
Burn all the scars you’ve exchanged for that love

 

"The deal's gonna be done tonight."

"You sure? Don't make a mistake like last time."

"Yes, 1:30 at the pier, like I said in the note."

Although this last sentence was uttered with confidence, the speaker seemed to lose his bravado at the last minute, as he looks at his watch nervously. From the shadows of the alleyway, the other man moves forward. Taller and seemingly stronger, he grabs him by the collar and says quietly, "Good. And what's my name?"

The shorter man struggles, terrified, like a rat in a lion's den. "N-n-name? Uh, I dunno. You never told me your name!" he squeaks.

His counterpart smirks, looking even more deadly. "Let's keep it that way. Now scram." He lets him go easily, but the short man runs away as if he's been kicked, stumbling and knocking over a trash can in the process.

The tall man emerges from the alley afterwards, dusting off his hands and grabbing his bike helmet. Under the moonlight, his features are striking with his high, well-defined cheekbones, and sharply-angled brow line. He's slender, the black leather jacket he wears outlines his lean yet muscular upper body.

He jumps swiftly onto his motorbike and speeds away from the abandoned warehouse district without a second glance.

--------------------------------------

"There has been a noted increase in mob activity, the police believe. The latest murders in Busan city harbor are suspected as such due to the history of the victims involved. Our reporter, Kim Songho is reporting live from the harbor- "

The TV is flicked off abruptly. A set of long, slender fingers taps the table impatiently. Their owner stares silently ahead, in cold contemplation.

A heavy-set, giant of a man sitting across from him grunts, "We shoulda sunk those bastards, put em at the bottom of the ocean!" Looking around the room, he tries to rile up the motley crew assembled there.

"Now these reporter punks are poking their noses around!" He adds, and slams his fist on the table for emphasis, only realizing his mistake afterwards. An ominous silence follows, and all eyes turn to the center of the room.

"Let's not forgot our manners, Li Dong. May I remind you how this mess came to be?" The man says quietly, his fingers now resting on the table.

Li Dong has the sense to close his mouth and look away. However, the other man is not done.

"If my memory serves me well, someone in this room said this would be the perfect opportunity to expand our reach into the Chinese meth market." He stands and begins pacing slowly.

"That someone also claimed to have valuable connections that would guarentee us use of the harbor for these purposes." He continues, the rest of the men watching warily as he walks by them.

Finally, he stops in front of the heavy man and rests his hands on his shoulders. A trickle of sweat starts down Li Dong's forehead, but he wills himself to meet the other man's eyes.

"Boss, I don't know how the police knew we'd be there-" he begins, but his words are cut off cruelly. The other man has taken the tie around his neck and is now choking him with it.

Li Dong struggles, but his attacker is stronger. The rest of the room watch these proceedings without protest, no one daring to speak or make a move. Eventually, the heavy man's face turns a dangerous shade of purple.

At that moment, there is a knock on the door and the butler enters.

"Sir, it is time for the Chairman's medicine." He informs his master.

Jaejoong drops the tie carelessly and allows Li Dong's lifeless body to roll to the ground. Straightening his suit, he walks out of the main dinning room of his mansion.

"Clean that up." He tells the bulter indifferently.

--------------------------------------

The windows in the Chairman's room have been covered so as to not disturb his rest. The little daylight that does seep in highlights the opulence of the room.

Standing at the foot of the bed, Jaejoong observes his father's sleeping form. His countenance betrays little, and he is the picture of an examplary son as he gently places the medicine on the nightstand.

"Abeoji, wake up, your medicine is here."

When he doesn't stir, Jaejoong leans forward and presses the elderly Chairman's wrist. A cynical smile mars his perfect features as he finds a faint pulse.

"Looks like my dear Abeoji has not left us yet." he murmurs. Although there is no one else in the room, he leans forward and whispers into his father's ear, "But know that I will soon have everything I want, including her. Don't hope of hiding her from me now, Abeoji."

If the Chairman heard him, he gave no indication and continues his slumber.

But in another room not too far away, a girl feels a sudden chill in the air. Shivering, she quickly closes the window of her room before returning to her book.

 

Baby don’t cry tonight after the darkness passes
Baby don’t cry tonight it’ll become as if it never happened
You’re not the one to disappear into foam, something you never should’ve known
So Baby don’t cry cry my love will protect you

 

A few days later, a young man enters a convenience store off of Route 1. Taking off his motorbike helmet, he purchases a bottle of water and a bowl of instant ramen. He decides he has enough time to eat and sits down on a bench outside. Unfortunately, his breakfast is delayed by a buzzing in the pocket of his jacket.

For a half-second he considers not answering, but picks up in the end.

"Don't call this number anymore."

"But how will we reach you later? This is suicide you know, going in like this by yourself. You have to at least have an exit plan."

"If all goes well, I won't need one."

"That's insane! Kris - "

Abruptly, he ends the call before the voice on the other side can continue. Three slurps of his instant ramen and he's done. The cell phone is thrown away with the remnants of his breakfast.

As he and his motorbike speed away, the sun rises in Château Gorgon.

--------------------------------------

The stairs creek slighly as she steps forwards, nearly giving away her position. Holding her breath, the young girl plasters herself against the wall, hoping she hasn't been found. After a tortuous 2 minutes, she figures it's safe to proceed and darts into the room at the end of the hallway. She doesn't notice that she's left behind one of her pale blue hair ribbons, which lies innocently on the floor.

"Phew, made it." she whispers, not yet trusting herself to speak louder. Looking around, she immediately feels at home. She's managed to make it to the château's inner library after a little bit of deception and a lot of bravery. Her maid however, will no doubt be looking for her so she needs to make her visit a quick one.

The library's shelves beckon to her, and happily she complies, re-shelving the books she borrowed in her last visit and combing through the stacks for new discoveries.

It's a pity that someone who loves books as much as she does is so deprived of them. Ever since she was a little girl, the library has been known as the restricted area. Always off limits. When she had finally persuaded her nurse to take her for a quick peak one day, she was instantly enchanted. Here, she found friends and hours of endless entertainment so long as her imagination prevailed over the dull life in the chateau. Now, at the age of 18, it has become a familiar hideout, the one place she really thought of as her own.

She's quickly becoming absorbed into her own world when she hears the door of the library open. Startled, she freezes and thanks her lucky stars that she's in an aisle in the back and hidden from sight.

"If you'll wait here Sir, I will let the young master know you've arrived." She hears the butler say.

The other party doesn't answer, but she knows she stuck alone with this stranger now as the door clicks close.

She can hear his shuffling feet moving closer and closer to her, yet her limbs remain paralyzed and useless. His path seems like it would lead him directly to her, but miracuously, he stops a few feet short and places something on the table next to her aisle. She breaths a sigh of relief and rests her head against one of the shelves.

This proves to be her undoing as she ends up knocking over one of the books. It thuds to the ground with a heavy sound. Terrified, she berates herself for her own clumsiness, internally wishing she had just taken the books to her room to read.

"Who's there?" he says. Cautiously, he approaches the aisle again. Rounding the corner, he crouches low, ready to catch the unknown enemy off guard. Suddenly, a flash of blue rushes by him, but not fast enough to escape his arms. In a few seconds, he has pinned the person to the ground.

He takes a moment to look at who he's caught and is astonished to see that it's a ... girl?!

"AH! No! I'm sorry, please let me go!" she cries, writhering under his grasp. It's of little use though as he has both her wrists in his hands and his legs around her torso.

"Who are you?" he asks, still surprised.

She stops struggling and looks at her attacker for the first time. Her eyes widen as she takes in the young man above her. He has a long mane of dark hair and piercings in one ear. His leather jacket adds to the image of a hardened criminal from the streets, perhaps even hiding some tattoos she thinks, allowing her imagination to run wild. He looks exactly like one of those men she frequently sees around the chateau, but is not allowed to talk to. Except, his eyes are ... different. Kinder. A surprising shade of onyx, they glint back at her with only curiosity, not malice.

"Me? I'm ... one of the servants here. I'm really not that important." She says, thinking on her feet. She knows she'll be in trouble if they find her here, so she has little choice but to hide her identity.

He looks at her skeptically though, taking note of her blue silk dress and pearl earrings. She's quite pretty, he realizes, with her pale skin and almond-shaped brown eyes. What's a girl like her doing here?

Silently, he releases her and offers her his hand to help her up.

"Sorry" he adds succinctly.

She accepts, grateful he isn't questioning her. "Well, I'll be going then. I have to, um ...  go wash dishes!" She sputters, and is ready to make her escape until she feels a hand on her arm.

She looks up at him and sees his outstretched hand with a blue hair ribbon on his palm.

"Oh! My hair ribbon!" She exclaims, her fingers flying to her hair and finding that the ribbon that was there this morning is indeed missing.

She reaches for it, but as her fingertips brush his hand, they both hear footsteps approaching the library. She gasps and frantically looks around for a place to hide. He watches, stunned and a little amused as she finally dives under the table he had set his motorbike helmet on earlier. The table cloth covers her feet right as the doors open.

"So you've arrived on time Mr. Wu. I presume without mishap?" A calm, silky voice echos across the room.

Turning, he sees the young master of the house striding towards him with purposeful steps."Kim Jaejoong, so this is our first meeting." he thinks to himself. His initial instinct is to catalog every detail of the man, because anything could be useful in the future. Kim Jaejoong is not exactly tall, he notes, nor is he muscular, but he seems to have a sort of latent, agile strength that would easily catch someone off guard. His eyes in particular are cold and calculating, although the words coming from his mouth are sweet. He recalls this man is known for his hand-to-hand combat skills, and decides there must be more to him than meets the eye.

"It's Kris, and yes, my trip was uneventful." he replies.

"Good. Well then, why don't you have a seat and we can get into the details of your stay here at Château Gorgon." Jaejoong motions him towards the table behind them. Unfortunately, it is the very same one the girl he caught a few moments ago has chosen to hide under.

With no other choice, he takes a seat and hopes for her sake she can stay quiet.

"Care for a drink?" Jaejoong asks, but has already poured them each a glass of vodka. It's only half past eleven in the morning, but alcohol is always involved in these kinds of meetings.

"So, Kris, I presume you understand the basics of our arrangement?"

"Yes, I believe you said you're looking for information into the Chinese drug market. And you'd like to improve your logistics for trade with some of the Chinese gangs."

Jaejoong nods. "We, the Chil Sung Pa, are interested in growth. My father has always lead us tenaciously, and as you can see, " he motions with his hands to the splendor surrounding them, "we've more than survived - we've thrived. However, drug markets are always on the move, and the Chinese scene looks like it could use some more competition."

"And you need me to be your connection."

"Yes."

Below the table, the young girl's eyes widen. Drug markets? China? Just what kind of business is this? She feels a chill run down her back at the thought of it. Though no one's ever told her the truth about the deals that happen at the château, she's always had her suspicions. Yet she had not realized their activities would reach past Korea, or even Busan. And this Kris Wu guy. Was she mistaken about him? Did she misplace her trust in someone who was clearly involved in illegal dealings?

"Why don't you give me a few days to set up and we'll see what I can do." Kris replies.

"Of course. Should you need anything just let the bulter know. And I don't think I need to remind you that the Chil Sung Pa does not accept failure."

"Understood."

With that, it seems the two men are done negotiating. She hears their chairs scrape the floor and the door open.

"The bulter will show you to your room. I would advise that you don't go exploring. The château has many secrets that it won't want to share." Jaejoong says as they exit.

Kris eyes him warily. "Don't worry. I'm not the curious type."

 

Exchanging only our separate fates that lead to one another
As inevitable as it seemed that we’d miss, I know we loved just as much
When you smile, sun shines A brilliance you can’t fit into a framework of language
The waves crash my heart and crumble down oh


 

She sighs for probably the tenth time that hour. The book she has opened on her lap just doesn't look as interesting as it did yesterday. Her eyes wander instead to her dressing table, where a lone pale blue hair ribbon sits. It's still missing it's other half, she muses.

Her mind flashes back to that day in the library, where she was accosted by two strong arms and a pair of onyx eyes. It was the first time she has had contact with someone from outside the château. He had been kind enough to not tell on her to Jaejoong, but then again, maybe she just wasn't important enough to mention. Her existence ... was it even significant to anyone else?

With this depressing thought, a tear threatens to spill from her eye, but she quickly wipes it away and stands up abruptly from her window seat.

So what if no one cares about her. She'll make them care.

And she'll start by getting her hair ribbon back.

--------------------------------------

Kris paces in his room and looks at the drawingboard he set up. There are a lot of moving parts he needs to organize for this to work, and its giving him a headache. He's always been more of a man of action than planning, but this project is going to require both.

As far as crime syndicates go, the Chil Sung Pa are decently well managed and have access to resources he hasn't anticipated. The network spanned all across Korea, headquartered at Château Gorgon under its leader, Kim Nam Yoon. With his current illness, Kim Nam Yoon's son, Kim Jaejoong has assumed control and all major decisions now go through him. While his father had been a charismatic and ruthless leader, Jaejoong was proving to be more of a micro-manager, although equally ruthless. The man seemed to have a unquenchable thirst for information, with spies stationed everywhere, covert intelligence reports on the hour, and a round the clock CCTV surveillance. Had he not just met the man in person, Kris would have thought Jaejoong to be a little on the paranoid side.

"No, he's not paranoid. Just incredibly thorough." Kris says quietly to himself as he contemplates which strategy to employ.

A knock on the door startles him out of his thoughts. Surprised, he opens it only to find a tray of tea and cookies in his face.

"Afternoon tea?"

"What, I didn't ask for tea - Hey! You can't go in there- "

The maid carrying the tray doesn't heed his warning though, and daringly marches right in. He stares at her as she sets the tray on his desk and busies herself by pouring him a cup.

"Look, this is really unnecessary. I suggest that you leave." he says, grabbing her by the shoulder.

"No need to manhandle me!" she exclaims, turning to face him. He lets go upon realizing who it is.

"You! You're - "

"Seohyun, at your service." she says, and curtsies quickly. Today, she's donned an actual maid outfit, a simple black dress with a white apron. Her hair, instead of in hair ribbons, is pulled back into a no-nonsense bun.

"This is one of your duties?" he asks, one eyebrow raised.

"Well, to be honest, no. I just thought you'd like some tea." she says, beaming at him.

He smirks. "I see. No ulterior motives then?"

She blinks rapidly, showing her nervousness. "Ulterior motives? No... why would I?"

"Oh, well I'll just keep this then." he says, calmly taking the hair ribbon from his pocket. She instinctively reaches for it, but he pulls back and holds it out of her range.

"Hey! Ok, seriously, we both know that's mine." she argues.

He shakes his head. "Negative. What I know is that you are very well-dressed and well-spoken. That you seem to enjoy spending your time in libraries, but are not allowed to tell anyone. And that you are too clumsy and pretty to be an actual maid."

Her jaw drops. Drat, to think she thought she'd fooled him with her story.

"Well, what do you want then? For the ribbon. It has to be within reason." she counters, with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Information."

"Information? What do you mean?"

"Well, to start, why don't you tell me about yourself?" he offers.

She glares at him suspiciously. "Oh now you want to be friendly?"

He shrugs nonchalantly and pulls out a chair for her. "We have tea and cookies after all."

"Ok, but after this little tête-à-tête, you promise to return it to me?" she inquires, sitting down catiously.

He chuckles, "Sure."

--------------------------------------

"I'm very sorry Sir. I tried my best, but it doesn't look like he has much longer." The doctor takes off his stethoscope and bows his head.

"I understand." Jaejoong says quietly. His face is impassive as he stares down at the dying man on the bed.

"I'll call for the nurse and let her know to make him as comfortable as possible."

Jaejoong nods as the doctor leaves. Alone once again with his father, he thinks over his next move carefully.

"A quick funeral won't do... no, everyone must be present." He says to himself.  "After all, this is a cause for celebration, am I right Abeoji?"

The old man seems to be struggling to breathe. His quick inhales and exhales suggest that he doesn't have much strength left in his lungs. Jaejoong watches as eventually, his father's breathing stops altogether.

"The King is dead, long live the King." he says, a sardonic smile on his lips.

--------------------------------------

"So you don't know where you were born, or who your parents were. And you have no recollection of your early childhood?"

Seohyun nods slowly, looking down at the half empty cup of tea in her hands. They've been sitting in his room for a while now, although Kris has yet to get any solid information on the Chil Sung Pa from her.

He looks at her with sympathy. "How did you end up here then?"

"I was at an orphanage. It was a very rural area, mostly farmland and very few people. Then they came for me in these sleek black cars ... the whole town was in an uproar. They had never seen anything like it."

She pauses, and takes a sip of her tea.

"It was very exciting at first, coming to this grand looking mansion. There were pretty clothes, a warm bed, and plenty of food. I had a nurse and then a tutor to take care of me and teach me lessons. I was top of my class you know. " she says with a wry smile.

Kris grins. "I bet you were. What about the guy who runs this place? Do you ever talk to him?"

"You mean Master Kim? No, I don't see much of him. Although every year on my birthday, I would be summoned to his study and he would go over my progress in my studies. In a weird way, he was like my guardian. I always felt like I should impress him. This year, with his illness, is the first time I didn't go see him."

"And his son? What is your relationship with him?"

"Hmm, him I almost never see. Jaejoong-ssi is very ... mysterious. I think Master Kim deliberately separated us, we've never even eaten a meal together. I don't really mind, but it would have been nice to have someone closer to my age growing up." A wistful look crosses her face, and Kris realizes how truly lonely she must be to be telling all of this to him, a stranger.

"Did you ever ask them about your parents? Or why they will not let you leave here?"

"Of course I have." She says, glaring at him now.

He stares back, feeling that he's upset her and not knowing what to say now. Surprisingly, her anger leaves as quickly as it came.

"Sorry," she says, "I didn't mean to lash out at you. It's frustrating though... I'm not naive, I know this place is nothing but a gilded cage, but I'm powerless to do anything about it."

Not wanting to anger her again, Kris only nods in response.

She continues, "Master Kim did say once that the time will come for me to know. That I will be ready when I am an adult. I turned 18 last month."

"So, he will tell you soon?"

"Yes, I have to hope that he will finally tell me this year."

Kris wonders what motives the old man had in bringing her here. Is it possible that their fates will become entangled in the end? 

 

Baby don’t cry tonight a night plagued by violent storms (Ooh As if the sky will fall)
Baby don’t cry tonight It’s slightly befitting
To let you go at a moment that shines more brilliantly than tears like this
So Baby don’t cry cry My love will be remembered

 

The funeral for Chairman Kim Nam Yoon, former leader of the Chil Sung Pa, fell on a Thursday.

The chilly air outside has made everyone glad they are wearing black that day. Dark clouds threaten to ruin the entire event, but so far, no rain has fallen. Guests from all walks of life have arrived - actors, politicians, gang members, and business tycoons alike are mingling in the château's east gardens. Although he may not have been loved by all, the Chairman was certaintly an influential and powerful force and his death signified the end of an era.

Jaejoong stood at the receiving line, shaking hands and accepting their condolences.

"So sorry for your loss, dear. Your father was such a character." says an older woman, dressed in thick black furs, as she pats his hand. 

"Thank you Ma'am." he replies, emotionless. If the ceremony continues at this pace, he'd surely kill the next person that tells him they're sorry for his loss. But appearances must be kept...

"Oh, allow me to introduce you to my daughter, Jessica." she continues, before he can move on to the next person in line. 

A pretty girl, probably in her early twenties, is presented to him. She tucks a strand of her long, blonde hair behind one ear before extending a delicate hand to him. 

"Call me Sica." she says, giving him a seductive smile. 

Jaejoong wonders what is more ridiculous, the fact that these people have turned his father's funeral into a matchmaking opportunity or that he has to pretend to actually consider the offer lest he offend this girl and her mother. 

"A pleasure, Jessica." he replies, bringing her hand to his lips.

She frowns, clearly displeased at the use of her full name. But before she can correct him, he drops her hand and they are ushered away by a body guard standing nearby. 

Most likely, there will be many more introductions like this as the day continues due to his current single status. His eyes drift towards the château, where he imagines a lonely girl sitting by her window. 

"Seohyun, you will join me soon." he says quietly under his breath.

--------------------------------------

Jaejoong wasn't far from the truth, for the girl was sitting by her window, only, she wasn't alone.

"You wish you were down there."

"Ha, not really. I just wish... that I had the option to attend at least."

Kris sets a steaming cup of hot chocolate down in front of her. When she raises an inquisitive eyebrow at him, he says, "Drink this, it'll help."

Seohyun smiles. "Thanks."

He sits down next to her on the window seat, taking a sip from his own cup.

"Say, why aren't you down there?" she asks.

He shrugs. "I'm a mercenary. We don't really get to rub shoulders with the big guns."

"Ah, I see. So, you're not planning on sticking around long? No extended vacation at the lovely Château Gorgon?"

"Although I can really feel the sincerity in that offer, no, I don't think so." 

They both chuckle, and continue their people watching.

After a few minutes, Seohyun says very quietly, "Take me with you."

Kris' head shoots up and he turns to look at her. She hasn't moved yet, her eyes still on the crowd in the garden, feigning interest in what was happening downstairs. But he knows she isn't joking this time.

"I can't promise you that." he says slowly.

"I figured you'd say that. No worries, I understand." she replies immediately, trying to pretend it never happened.

"Hey, look at me," he demands and turns her to him. Holding her by the shoulders, he says very seriously, "I'm not going to waste my breath telling you empty promises Seohyun, you deserve better than that. But I can promise you that I will help you as much as possible while I'm here. You have my word."

She stares back at him, looking for any sign of insincerity. His dark eyes bore into hers and may have been intimidating to some, but to her, they looked warm and accepting. They belonged to her first friend in this world.

"Do you know why the caged bird sings Kris?" she finally says.

He looks down at her, sadness creeping into his features. "For freedom."

She smiles bitterly. "For freedom."

 

Above the dark shade of pain, at the doorsteps of farewell
Even if I take a brutal fall, I can manage if it were for you
Uh, Instead I’ll give myself to you who don’t know me
Don’t cry, give me chilling laughter instead of hot tears Baby,

 

"Sir, breakfast is ready in the main banquet hall."

"No, move it to the east parlour." 

"Yes Sir."

"Oh, and bring me Seohyun. Make sure she is presentable."

"...Sir, Ms. Seohyun is-"

Jaejoong stops buttoning his dress shirt for a moment and demands quietly, "Now. Don't make me ask twice."

"Yes Sir!" the butler answers immediately, fearful of his master's anger, and makes a hasty exit from the bedroom. He's quite good at his job -  serving the Kim family is not an easy task and he's managed it for over 10 years. However, the sudden request for Ms. Seohyun's presence at breakfast certaintly caught him off guard. During his entire tenure as head butler, she has always dined in her suite for all meals. The departure from this tradition marked the first change the household would experience under the new leadership of Kim Jaejoong.

Rebuking himself for his mistake, the bulter rushes off to find Ms. Seohyun and her maid and enlighten them about the change in plans.

--------------------------------------

Kris carefully reads the message delivered to him via courier that morning. If the information he just received is accurate, then it would mean the first part of his plan is successful.

"Shipment landed. 14K interested. 13:00 18th. illua hotel."

"Looks like I'll be making a trip to Busan this afternoon." he says to himself. Bending down, he reaches underneath his bed for his suitcase. He unlocks it to reveal two guns and a pair of throwing knives. Arming himself with practiced ease, he grabs his motorbike helmet and prepares to leave.

The three hour drive to the city means he needs to depart now to get there on time. At the last second, he recalls he should report his plans to Jaejoong, and heads towards the dinning hall.

--------------------------------------

Seohyun stares, dumbfounded, at the food in front of her. Is she really supposed to eat breakfast with him?

She looks up and sees Jaejoong slicing his fruit apart and casually taking a bite, as if this meeting of theirs was the most natural thing in the world. He notices her attention and looks pointedly at her plate.

"You are not going to eat?" he asks.

Her eyes widen, and she manages to choke out, "I am not hungry." She immediately regrets this, wondering how much trouble she just got herself into. He has a legendary temper, and she doesn't feel at all ready to face him.

However, he shows no sign of displeasure at her refusal to join him, and only sets down his silverware quitely. He stands and approaches her where she sits, trembling despite her best efforts. 

"Didn't anyone ever tell you, Seohyun-ah," he says as he picks up a rasberry from her plate, "that breakfast is the most important meal of the day?" She looks up at him, unable to turn away, like a mouse hypnotized by a snake.

He leans forward and gently pushes the fruit between her lips, which part under the slight pressure. His eyes darken as he watches her take it into and chew it slowly. His thumb remains on her lips as she chews, rubbing lightly against the small but plump red organ.

Seohyun's mind screams at her to knock his hand away, but her body seems paralyzed. When she was brought to the east parlour this morning, she could not fathom why Jaejoong suddenly wanted to dine with her. However, with this action of his, even her innocent and pure mind understood his intentions.

Jaejoong watches her intently as she finally swallows the berry he fed her. He's on his last ounce of self control with this girl and it's only 8 in the morning.   

In one swift motion, he picks her up out of her chair of by her arms and lays her down on the table, ignoring her shriek of surprise. The plates of food shake with the table and impatiently, he knocks them out of the way onto the floor, causing the expensive china to shatter into pieces. He hovers over her, supporting his body weight with his hands. 

"You will eat breakfast with me every day from now on. If you choose not to eat, I will feed you myself, just like this. Do you understand?" he demands, holding her tightly by the chin and forcing her to look at him.

Before she can respond, the double french doors of the parlour open without warning.

"Sir, sorry to interrupt your meal but I- " 

Kris enters but stops mid-stride. In complete shock, his words fail him as he takes in the scene in front of him.

Seohyun's cheeks burn a crimson hue, her mortification from being found in this compromising position clearly evident. 

"Well?" Jaejoong asks him mildly, no trace of embarrassment in his tone. He also makes no indication of moving, effectively trapping Seohyun beneath him. 

Kris' instinctively wants to punch him. To take a fist straight through the haughty bastard's face and save the poor girl from his clutches. Maybe a better way would be just to go for the kill. In the back of his mind, he knows he has 40 rounds on him. If his calculations are correct, Jaejoong has at least 20 bodyguards stationed at all times around the grounds plus god knows how many snipers. Shooting him right now would be suicidal, but Kris' fingers itch to pull the trigger on the MP-446 Viking strapped to his chest.

He shakes these bloodthirsty thoughts out of his head, knowing none of this is helping Seohyun right now.

"Sir, there's been a development in the project I'm working on." He says, keeping his voice level and composed. "If you have a moment, I would like to discuss the details with you right now."

Jaejoong looks at him steadily, intuitvely knowing when someone is lying to him. Technically, Kris probably does have something to report, but the timing of his request this morning is a little odd. It could have waited; interrupting breakfast is not generally the wisest course of action. There is also something amiss in the way his eyes had shifted to Seohyun. They had stayed on her for a half-second too long. 

"Of course. Why don't we talk in my study." he says lightly. Getting up, he walks out of the parlour. He doesn't even spare Seohyun a second glance. 

Kris follows him quickly, not daring to look back at the girl who is still lying prone on the dining table. 

After they exit, the parlour returns to its normal, peaceful state, with the exception of her quiet sobs. The tears stream continuously down her cheeks, and she makes no move to leave. Her maid finally comes and helps her back to her room.

 

Say no more (baby) no more (don’t cry)
Please don’t hesitate at the moment you’ll become foam
Say no more (baby) no more (don’t cry)
So you can remain as a shining person, burn me with that dagger instead

 

"Password."

"Orion"

"Access granted. You have 30 minutes until automatic lock out."

Kris' fingers fly in a flurry as the timer on the portable laptop begins its countdown. He only has one more usage of the little machine before its motherboard melts itself and destroy all evidence of his research. It had been one of the few items to make it with him in the trip to Busan to meet the contact for the drug deal. The meeting had gone better than expected, the representative from 14k didn't seem interested in anything else but a quick cash grab. Thus, he had time to make a detour to the worn-down internet cafe on the outskirts of the city. 

After hooking himself up to the wireless, he systematically begins downloading every piece of information he can find with the key words "Seo", "orphan", and "Kim Nam Yoon". With his above-average intelligence and ability to compress and digest information at an almost inhuman pace, he soon begins to piece together what could be the true story of Kim Seohyun. 

He finishes with 4.28 minutes to go. Wasting no time, he starts up his motorbike and speeds back to Château Gorgon. He has a gut feeling that every action of his is now being marked by Kim Jaejoong, attention which is both unwanted and unnerving. 

--------------------------------------

Despite his lavish lifestyle and the numerous agents he had willing to act on his behalf, Kim Jaejoong is a busy man. Thus, Seohyun did not see him again that day, although she watched the door of her bedroom with apprehension, half expecting him to burst through it. She hated this feeling ... this feeling of helplessness. Never before had it been more evident to her that she was a sitting duck, her life at the mercy of this tyrannical man. 

When the old Master Kim was alive, she had not been free to do as she pleased, but there was a feeling of security. While the Chairman barely spared her a second of his time and was certainly nowhere close to a father figure, she had at least felt that she was protected. Now, she was alone.

A rumbling sound from below distracts her momentarily. Peering out of her window, she sees someone ride in on a black motorbike. Maybe she isn't so alone after all. Maybe she has one ally. She stares at the tall figure as he parks the bike and walks towards the entrance.. 

"Ms. Seohyun, it is time for dinner." her maid says, entering with a tray.

Upon realizing that she will be dinning alone in her room as usual, she can't help but sigh with relief.

"I am to stay here?" she asks to make sure.

"Yes. The master has only instructed that you are to have breakfast with him daily."

"I see."

The maid curtsies and leaves her to herself. She sighs and turns back to the window, but the owner of the motorbike is long gone. Deciding that her appetite has also vanished, she turns off the lights and lies down. 

--------------------------------------

A few weeks later:

"You've made great progress Kris." Jaejoong says, eyes quickly scanning the report in front of him.

"The relationship with the 14k group should be solidified after the next shipment is relayed to them. It will be done once they have chosen the Chinese harbor they want us to import to."

"Is there any reason they are dragging their feet on this?"

"No. They have stated they wish to inspect our latest shipment for quality, but this is a mere formality."

Jaejoong nods, setting the report down on his desk. He appraises the young man sitting opposite of him carefully. 

"You realize Kris, that you've accomplished in one month what most of my men would have taken a half year to finish."

Kris simply stares back, neither acknowledging nor denying the statement. 

"As you know, before you arrived, one of those blundering fools almost got caught." Jaejoong continues. "And by common police officers, not to mention. Disgraceful. Well, anyways, is there no way I can convince you to stay with us longer? You could become a great asset, and I always have pet projects I need someone resourceful for. The Chil Sung Pa is very generous to its loyal brothers."

I'm sure you'd love to have me as your little puppet, Kris thinks to himself. He knows very few make it this far within the Chil Sung Pa, but he is certain that staying under Kim Jaejoong's thumb is not something he would enjoy.

"Thank you for the offer, but no, there are some personal matters I need to attend to once I depart from here." he replies.

"Personal matters? Hm, I suppose every man has his obligations. Well, I won't pry then," Jaejoong says.

Kris wants to roll his eyes at this last statement, as he is sure Jaejoong already knows every detail of his life that he could dig up.

"The offer is always on the table, should you change your mind." Jaejoong concludes. However, as Kris stands and prepares to leave the study, he adds, "Oh and Kris, I hope you are available tonight - we are having a little get together. You know, to celebrate the success of our new venture into China. You must come,"

The young man pauses, uncertain. The less people in the Chil Sung Pa that have seen his face the better, but this event seems unavoidable. 

"Where?" he asks quietly.

"Here. In the ballroom. A little last minute, but the place cleans up quite well."

"... Alright." is the only response.

Jaejoong smirks, eyes twinkling. "Good. Don't forget your dancing shoes."

--------------------------------------

The dusty old chateau seemed to have come to life that night. By "a little get together" Jaejoong had actually meant nearly a hundred people, Kris realizes as he scans the crowd. Once again, some of the most well-known names in Asia seemed to be on the invite list. The total net worth of the individuals in the ballroom could have easily rivalved a small country's. 

His tuxedo felt tight and restrictive. It had been waiting for him in his room after his meeting with Jaejoong earlier that day. Loosening the tie slightly from his neck, he walks quietly to the bar and blends in as well as he can. If he can survive this night, then his plan would go off without a hitch. 

The party is already raucously loud as more and more drinks are ordered and everyone is in a celebratory mood. A hush goes through the room though, when someone taps a champagne glass loudly. 

"Ladies. Gentlemen. If you could spare me your attention for one moment please." 

It's Jaejoong, Kris realizes. He's standing at the end of the staircase leading into the ballroom and all eyes are on him.

"There is someone I would love for all of you, my dearest friends, to meet. Now she is a little shy, so please, give her a warm welcome."

He nods towards the bulter at the door, who opens it with a flourish. Exited whispers flit through the ballroom, everyone no doubt wondering who Jaejoong's special guest is.

She makes her way carefully down the stairs, her long, elbow-length black glove gently brushing the banister. She has a womanly, tall figure and silky, black hair that has been brushed into a elegant bun to better show off her long neck and shoulders. She is stunning. 

Kris' eyes narrow. It couldn't be? 

"My friends, may I introduce you to Miss Seo Joohyun." Jaejoong says, as he takes her hand and leads her the rest of the way.

Seo Joohyun. Not Seohyun. Kris stays where he is, absorbing this information. Meanwhile, the rest of the partygoers surge forwards to get a better glimpse of the mysterious girl and introduce themselves.

He watches her from afar, observing every little movement. She looks somewhat nervous, clearly not used to the attention she was getting. She also keeps one hand over her chest, making it obvious that she is uncomfortable with the amount of skin her dress is failing to cover up. And speaking of her dress, it is black, a heavy black velvet to match her dramatic black gloves. The sinful dress clings to her every curve and leavs just enough to the imagination.

She is in short, every man's fantasy.

He watches as Jaejoong signals for some music and then proceeds to spin her around the ballroom floor. The crowd parts to make way for them, applauding the opening dance.  

To everyone else in attendance, she and Jaejoong are a beautiful couple, clearly in love. To Kris, this was all one giant scam. He could see it in the way her shoulders tensed as Jaejoong whispered something in her ear. In the way that his knuckles turned white as he gripped her hand too hard. In the way that her eyes dropped demurely, never meeting her partner's. 

To Kris' relief, the song ended. Unfortunately, at the same moment, Jaejoong found him in the crowd and beckoned him over.

"Kris, glad to see you could make it. Enjoying yourself?" Jaejoong asks.

"The party is quite impressive." he manages to respond. 

"I'm happy to hear you say so." Jaejoong motions towards Seohyun, whose waist he is still holding tightly. "Have you met Joohyun yet? This is her first party too."

He glances at the girl in question and sees her hide a grimace and then look down at her feet. Her discomfort is almost tangible, and she's too innocent for the kind of mind games that Jaejoong likes to indulge in. 

"It's a pleasure." Kris says quietly.

Her only response is a slight nod, to which Jaejoong smirks and cajoles her, "Joohyun-ah, where are your manners? You need to make some more friends, dear. How about this, why don't we have Kris take you around the dance floor for a spin? Would that cheer you up?"

She looks up quickly, shocked by this sudden suggestion. But before she or Kris can protest, her hand is pressed into her new partner's and Jaejoong is ushering them towards the other couples. 

"Go on, Joohyun-ah. I don't want to see that long face when you come back, alright?" he says, tilting her chin up with one finger before waving them forwards.

Seeing as they have no other choice, Kris lightly places his hand on her waist and clasps her other one in his. The orchestra is playing an airy waltz, so he turns her quickly in step with the music, leading her adeptly through the crowd. For her part, she just follows him blindly without thinking. Her mind is too confused by the sudden feel of his hands and the closeness of his body.

When she finally does meet his eyes, she loses her footing and stumbles forward. Luckily, Kris catches her and smoothly guides them back in step. 

"Sorry." she whispers.

"S'alright." he replies, studying her again. He realizes its the first time they've spoken in the last three weeks, ever since that eventful breakfast encounter. He wonders how she's been holding up, knowing it must have looked like he's abandoned her after all this time. But how could he explain to her what he's been working on without giving away too much?

He wants to talk to her, to reassure her that he's still here and everything will be ok. She looks incredibly fragile in his arms, as if the slightest pressure would shatter her. 

Instinctively, he moves her closer to him, close enough to inhale the sweetness of her perfume and feel her cheek against his chest. It is only for a moment, but he hopes it has provided her some comfort. When he steps away though, he's surprised to find her blinking away tears.

"Did I .. I'm sorry, " he starts.

"No, no. It's fine. I'm fine." she says, shaking her head. 

The song's reaching it's midway point, meaning their limited time together is dwindling quickly.

"I don't know why he's doing this." she suddenly changes the subject.

"Jaejoong?"

She stiffens at the mention of his name. "Yes. Forcing us to dance like this. I don't get what he's playing at."

"It's a test."

"A test of what?"

"You and I. He wants to know what the connection between us is."

"Oh. Well it's simple, isn't it?"

When he doesn't reply, she answers the question herself. "We're ... nothing."

He looks at her sharply, a frown forming on his lips.

"Joohyun-"

"Not you too. I'm Seohyun. Just Seohyun. I don't know why all of the sudden everyone is calling me that name." she insists, looking annoyed.

"Did Jaejoong not tell you? You don't know the story yet?" Kris asks.

Her only response is to look at him with confused eyes, so he takes that for a no. 

"To put it simply, it's your name. Your real name."

She gasps, but then stares at him with suspicion. "How do you know that?"

"It's a long story."

"It's my story."

"Yes."

"Then I deserve to know. Please, you have to tell me what's going on-" she begins, but the music is slowing, and their dance is already ending.

Kris looks up and sees Jaejoong staring at them, champagne glass in hand with an inscrutable look on his face.

"Kris, I'm .... I'm leaving. Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Why? Where?" he asks, brows furrowed.

"I don't know. He didn't say, but I think he's taking me away."

The song has ended now and Jaejoong is approaching them, ready to reclaim her.

Her brown eyes stare into Kris' desperately. "Please, if you can, meet me tonight in the library. At midnight."

"Joohyun, looks like you're enjoying yourself more now." Jaejoong appears next to her, touching her elbow. Kris releases her instantly.

"Come, you don't want to tire yourself out." he continues. She nods, tearing her eyes away from her tall partner.

Jaejoong tips his glass towards Kris and smirks before guiding her away with his hand on the small of her back. 

The young man watches them walk off before taking out a cell phone. 

"Sunbae, change in plans. How soon can you be ready?"

 

The moonbeam that brims up in your eyes
This night that silently overflows with pain
Baby don’t cry tonight after the darkness passes
Baby don’t cry tonight it’ll become as if it never happened
You’re not the one to disappear into foam, something you never should’ve known
So Baby don’t cry cry my love will protect you

 

Seohyun sits quietly, but impatiently as she waits in a obscured corner of the library. It would be nice to take a moment to breath in the musty air of this old place where she had created so many happy memories, but her mind is too preoccupied. How long has it been? She doesn't have a watch.

She wants to, no, has to see him again. Not only does he hold the key to her true identity, but he's the only person she feels she can trust. Jaejoong, only yesterday during their morning meal, had informed her that he would be taking her somewhere. He had not disclosed where, but she has an ominous feeling that nothing will be the same again once she leaves the chateau.

Suddenly, she hears the door creak open. She jumps up, but wisely remains hidden, in case it is someone else. The person slowly walks towards her, the heaviness of the footsteps indicating that it is indeed a man. 

"Joohyun-ah?"

She freezes. That cold, silky voice could only belong to one person.

No! How did he find out?, her mind screams.

"I know you are here. Why don't you come out now. We can play this little game of hide and seek some other time."

Terrified, she moves to him, knowing she has no other choice now. She has learned the hard way that denying him will only make it worse later. But before she can take another step, a hand grabs her waist and pulls her back into the shadows. Another hand covers , silencing her startled cry. Turning towards her assailant, her eyes widen as she realizes who it is.  

Kris hugs her closer to him and shakes his head decisively, silently telling her not to move. She nods and he removes his hand from , although the other stays at her side. She stares at him in wonder, not understanding how he had ended up behind her. She's glad he is here, yet at the same time, worried since she's definitely put his life in danger as well.

He places a finger at her lips, imploring her to stay quiet. She nods again. He then walks past her, out into the open, before she has a chance to stop him.

"She's not here." 

Jaejoong smiles wryly, recognizing the unexpected voice. "Kris. Of course, I should have realized you would make an appearance."

He turns to his left and sees the young man standing there casually, hands in his pockets. His tall silhouette is illuminated by the moonlight that seeps through the library's long glass windows. 

"Let's not smear the lines of our relationship." Jaejoong continues. "You are a mercenary, a hired hand, an employee for all intensive purposes. Do not think it is your place to be concerned with what goes on in this family. Now, tell me, where is she?"

If Kris is unnerved by this, he makes no indication of it. Calmly, he replies, "Family. You think you are her family?"

Jaejoong stays silent so Kris continues, "Do families then lock away their daughters, isolate them in cold, stone towers? Do they crush their spirits until they have no will to defy any longer? Do they rob them of their freedom, their right to choosing their own path in life?" 

"She is no more than a slave to your will. Do not try to disguise this false relationship you've constructed with a word like 'family'". Kris says, his voice harsh and unyielding. 

Seohyun covers with her hands to keep herself from crying out loud. Hearing Kris say these things made everything seem more real ... more tragic. 

Jaejoong lets his words echo through the room, unflinching. He finally lets out a low, sarcastic laugh. "Kris, you are quite the preacher. I didn't realize there was so much morality in a hired hand of the Chil Sung Pa."

He walks closer to the young man, eyes glinting eerily. "I agree. Joohyun, she is mine. I have patiently waited out these long years and now, she will finally fulfill her purpose. She will always be mine!"

With that, he suddenly lunges forwards, brandishing a dagger that appeared from his pocket. Kris dodges just in time to avoid the first deadly jab and swings his leg out low, attempting to trip his adversary. Jaejoong is too quick however, and dances out of the way. The two men continue fighting back and forth, although Kris, who is unarmed, is at a distinct disadvantage. His only choice is to anticipate Jaejoong's attacks and defend until the other man tires. 

It is becoming an amost impossible task, Kris thinks as he rolls to the floor and crouches low to catch his breath. Jaejoong doesn't even seem fatigued; in fact, his attacks are becoming more precise, if possible. 

"Ah Kris, I knew you would be a worthy opponent. It's been so long since I've had fun like this." Jaejoong says, taunting him.

Kris doesn't waste his breath answering him, and daringly goes in for a tackle. He manages to pin Jaejoong to the floor, his hand struggling to hold back the man's dagger hand. Jaejoong responds by landing a hard kick to his torso. With Kris' grip loosened, he flips them over and points the dagger right at Kris' neck, inches away from piercing the skin.

"I suppose the fun and games had to end eventually." he says.

"NO! Don't hurt him! Please!"

They both turn their heads and see Seohyun standing in front of the window, imploring Jaejoong not to land that fatal blow.

"Seohyun! Stay back!" Kris cries to her.

Jaejoong chuckles, "Aw, how sweet. Joohyun-ah, you came to see your friend die?"

She glares at him, determination replacing the frightened look on her face. "Let him go!"

"I don't think right now is a good time to be demanding things, Joohyun-ah." Jaejoong says, letting the knife nick Kris' skin. A trickle of blood flows down his neck.

"Let him go, or else I'll jump!" she cries.

"Jump? You?" Jaejoong stares at her, astonished.

"Yes, I will if you don't free him."

She has already backed up towards the window, hand on the latch and one foot on the ledge. 

But before she can move another step, Kris takes advantage of Jaejoong's distracted attention and punches him hard in the chest, throwing him off. Sprinting, he reaches Seohyun first and grabs her hand.

"Are you really ready to say good-bye?" he asks her, moving to stand on the ledge with her.

Her eyes widen. "What?"

"Let's go. We will jump together." 

The library is ten floors up, guarenteeing instant death for both of them even if he shields her and cushions the fall. She stares at him, not understanding how he would throw his life away for her.

"You're not going anywhere!" Jaejoong interrupts and throws his danger, aiming directly for Kris' chest. Kris spins to the right, the dagger missing him and shattering the window behind them instead. Glass rains down on them, but Kris makes sure to cover her with his body, grimacing as the little shards prick his skin.

"Trust me, ok?" he says, looking down at the girl wrapped in his arms.

There is no time to argue, and she's never seen him look so sure, so she nods, and then clenches her eyes closed, bracing herself for their fall.

Kris hugs her tight and then leans out of the window, letting gravity do its work. Seohyun wants to scream and yet at the same time, she feels oddly at peace. Perhaps this is what she's needed all this time? To die in the arms of a friend. 

Suddenly, she hears a strange motor sound. The sound of metal blades spinning - a helicopter?

Opening her eyes, she realizes they are actually going up and the ground is getting smaller. She sees Jaejoong leaning out the window, a gun in his hand now, but they are already too far out of range. Looking up at Kris in astonishment, she notices that he is holding on to a rope ladder with one hand, the other still clutching her to him. 

He motions for her to climb up and shakily, she does until she finally reaches safety inside. He climbs in after her and shuts the door. 

"Cover your ears!" he tells her immediately.

Confused, she does as he says and just in time as they hear a loud rumbling noise beneath them. 

"What was that?!" she yells over the noise of the helicopter.

Kris points outside and she realizes with shock that the chateau is on fire, some of the structure already crumbling to the ground. She stares, dazed, as the ruined old castle succumbs to the flames, the estate lighting up the dark night sky. 

"What..?" she asks him, unable to form coherent, complete sentences.

"It's gone now Seohyun. Gone forever."

She still looks bewildered, so he says, "Perhaps I should start from the beginning."

"Jeez, I thought you were never going to get to it. How about introducing your rescuer first, eh?" a man yells from the front seat.

Kris sighs, and Seohyun swears she sees a flash of annoyance cross his usually stoic face before he replies, "Right. Your pilot tonight, "

"- RESCUER!" the man cuts in again.

"rescuer," Kris repeats unemotionally, "Kim Heechul."

"Oh, um, nice to meet you Heechul-ssi," she offers. 

The pilot turns and flashes her a roguish grin, "Likewise, fair damsel in distress."

He's about to say more, but Kris interrupts forcefully, "Don't forget you're still flying this thing!"

"Relax, I've got it under control." Heechul replies, looking unfazed. He does however, turn back around and start looking at the control panel.

Kris returns his attention Seohyun. "This may come as a shock, but he and I, we're part of a special taskforce in the National Intelligence Service. I have been undercover for the last 8 weeks."

Seohyun's eyes widen. National Intelligence Service?

"We have been investigating the Chil Sung Pa for quite some time. Crime syndicates are of course, notoriously difficult to penetrate, so this was our only way in. What you see behind you is actually the culmination of 5 years of research and tecnological dedication."

By now, Seohyun's eyes are as wide as saucers. "You... you planned this? To save me?"

Kris blinks, suddenly realizing that he could have mislead her. "You were an unforseen element." he answers finally.

"Oh." She says, looking slightly disappointed.

"A beautiful, unmissable detour." he says, on impulse. Immediately, he regrets being so honest about his feelings. He can feel the heat crawling up his neck. Meanwhile, she's averting her eyes and shyly combing through her hair. 

"And way to cut it close, Kris. I thought I was going to run out of fuel hovering as long as I did." Heechul chimes in again, dispelling the awkward atmosphere.

"Hyung, let's get out of here first and then you can lecture."

"Oh its hyung now huh? What happened to sunbae? This guy..."

Exhausted, Seohyun slumps into the back seat. Looking over at her, Kris notices she's still in her ball gown from earlier, her shoulders bare and hair falling loosely out of it's clip. Taking his leather jacket off, he drapes it over her shoulders quickly. This earns him a small, grateful smile from her.

She gradually starts dozing off as the helicopter buzzes towards its destination, which is still unknown to her. But she figures that any man who she's willing to jump off a building with has more than earned her trust, so she has no objections. Eventually, her head starts lolling from side to side, until finally, it lands gently on Kris' shoulder. He looks down, surprised, but smiles slightly and moves back so she is more comfortable, both of them letting Heechul prattle on by himself for the rest of the trip. 

Just before she succumbs to sleep, Seohyun wonders if this is all a dream - their meeting, the dance that night, and the daring escape they just pulled off. But Kris feels so solid under her head. So solid and strong.

This is real. It has to be. 

 

The early sunlight comes down
A blinding force that reminds me of you comes down
At last my eyes that lost their way Cry cry cry

 

When she opens her eyes again, she's in a room by herself, in a large bed insulated by pillows on all sides. Sunlight is peeking in from behind the curtains, which someone has considerately kept closed for her. The room smells, for lack of a better word, clean.

Tentatively testing out her limbs, she's relieved to find everything in good order. She wiggles her toes and starts to push herself up until she notices a translucent wire dangling from her arm. An IV?

Looking around, she realizes she must be in a hospital.  

Just as confusion and fear are about to set in, the door opens revealing a nurse with a tray of food.

"Oh, you're awake." She murmurs, setting the tray down and quickly making her way over to her patient. Picking up the chart on the desk next to the bed, she rattles off a series of clinical questions. 

"How do you feel?"

"Fine, I guess."

"Any dizziness?"

"No"

"Soreness in the body?"

"No"

"Vision impairment?"

"No. Wait, can you tell me -"

But before Seohyun can get her question out, the nurse brusquely pops a thermometer into .

"Hold it under your tongue for a minute." She instructs. She seems impervious to the girl's glares and exits the room quickly, muttering something about getting the doctor.

Seohyun pouts, but leaves the thermometer where it is. What is going on?, she wonders. I feel fine. 

She waits a few minutes, but the nurse doesn't return. Deciding to get some answers on her own, she rips the IV from her arm, darts out of bed and shuffles to the door. Opening it slowly, she peeks out and sees a long, empty hallway. But before she can go any farther, someone tugs on the back of her patient gown.

"Running off already?" a quiet, male voice asks.

She turns only to find Kris standing there, a bouquet of daisies in his right hand and a plastic bag from a convenience store in the other.

 "Whash gooin on?" She asks, forgetting about the thermometer in .

He raises an amused eyebrow, but manages to not laugh out loud at her. She looks flustered and removes it quickly.

"What's going on?" She repeats. "Why am I here?"

"Why don't you go back inside and I'll tell you." He says, ushering her into the room again.

Impatiently, she sits on the bed and watches him as he sets the flowers down and takes some ramen noodle cups out of the plastic bag. "You want?" he asks, shaking one package with his hand, as if trying to entice her to accept. She just glares.

This time, it works. He chuckles and forgets the ramen, pulling up a chair by her bed instead.

"You're here for observation." he calmly explains. "You've been through a lot these past couple of weeks, so this is just a precaution. Besides, you seemed completely exhausted."

She nods, ruefully wondering how long she's been asleep.

"15 hours." he answers, guessing the question correctly.

"Oh."

"Yup."

They fall silent. She tries to take it all in. Being here with him. Not being at the chateau. He's just glad to see her awake. It was hard to let her out of his sight, but he figured she may like something fresh like flowers in her room, so he had left on a reconnaissance trip. Of course she would wake up and try to leave in the 20 minutes he was away. 

"Oh!" She exclaims, her finger extended at him almost accusingly. "You were supposed to tell me! About my past!"

"Ah, that's right." he sighs. "Where do I start?"

He looks into her clear, brown eyes. "Seohyun, you're real name is Seo Joo Hyun. You are the daughter and only child of Seo Jae-Hee and Han Ye-Jin . Your father is a politician, with a background in law. Your mother was a high school literature teacher. You -"

"Wait! Was?" she cuts in, panicking.

"Oh, no she is still alive. She has retired from teaching."

"I see." She nods for him to continue.

"You were reported missing at the age of four. Although your father used his considerable political influence, the police were unable to find you." Kris pauses, and looks at her with concern.

She nods, "Go ahead. It's ok." 

"The search made national headlines. At that time, your father was nominated for a position in the president's cabinet. He eventually declined the position, citing personal reasons, even though the senate had already approved his nomination. He now works for your family's company as the CEO."

Seohyun looks troubled. "Family company?"

Kris confirms it. "Yes. The Seo family has traditionally controlled Aegis Group, a conglomerate with holdings in major companies representing the pharamaceutical, transportation, and banking sectors. One of the largest in Korea.Your father is the second son in his family, and therefore followed the path of law school. However, with your disappearance and the sudden illness of his older brother, he decided to take up the mantle instead of pursing his political career."

A scary thought creeps into Seohyun's mind. All this talk about politics and wealth... did it have to with what Jaejoong said to them, right before they jumped?

"Ah!" She cries, suddenly remembering. "Jaejoong said that I would finally fulfill my purpose! That I am his .... does that mean?"

Kris doesn't want to continue this conversation; the whole ugly truth is revealing itself all too quickly. But she has to know.

"Yes. You were kidnapped by the Chil Sung Pa for the purpose of having a direct connection to the Aegis Group. As the Seo family has produced no other sons or daughters, that leaves you the sole heir of their extensive wealth and power."

"I was ... a pawn then. A mere pawn in their scheme to satisfy their greed."

"I wouldn't say pawn. A more appropriate position would be queen. You were to be Jaejoong's wife once he had proven to everyone your identity. "

Seohyun shakes her head angrily, eyes clenched closed. "I would have been powerless until the day I died. Maybe, if Jaejoong had his way, even through death."

She suddenly feels a large, warm hand on her head. Opening her eyes, she sees Kris looking at her with a surprisingly tender smile on his face. He pats her head gently.  

"Seohyun, you are free now."

That's right. Freedom. Her eyes well up with tears, throat choked by an emotion she can't describe properly. 

"But is he really gone? Won't he come back for me?" she manages after a moment. 

"No. Kim Jaejoong was found dead after the fire was extinguished. I'll spare you the details but he had apparently fallen from a 10-storey window. Right now, the Chil Sung Pa is leaderless and in disarray. Although it will only be a matter of time until one of the higher ups tries to take over, their organization has had a serious setback. The NIS will also be following up to make sure their future activities are severly limited."

"Jaejoong is dead? Truly?" she asks, not hearing the rest of his explanation.

Kris smiles. "Affirmative."

Seohyun bites her lip, showing her uncertaintly. "This must sound horrible, but I can't say that I'm sorry for their loss."

"I don't blame you. Neither am I." he confesses easily. 

They both laugh at this, the tension in the room dissipating as if it had never been there.

Their moment is interrupted when the doctor enters with the nurse from before in tow.

"Miss Seo, it's good to see that you are awake." he says, smiling congenially. "We just have a few procedures to go through and then you'll be all set to be discharged." 

Seohyun nods her assent, and Kris stands up and tries to stay out of the way. 

When the doctor is finally done with his poking and proding, he gives her a clean bill of health and leaves them for his next patient. Kris also leaves, to give Seohyun some privacy as she changes into a simple t-shirt and jeans he procured for her.

He re-enters after ten minutes, and is picking up their few items and heading out the door when he feels a small tug on his shirt.

"You forget something?" 

"No. I... I was just wondering where we are going now."

He turns and faces her. "To your family's house. I called one of my superiors, who will inform your parents that you've been found as we drive there. This way, there should be no issues with the media getting wind of this and causing unnecessary headaches."

"Right."

"You still look unsure. Was there something else?"

She bites her lip again, and looks away. Kris stares at her, wondering what she's thinking. She makes her indecision too obvious, but for some reason, he finds this trait of hers endearingly cute.

Gently, he uses two fingers to tug her bottom lip out. Her quick intake of air tells him that he's surprised her again. Turning her to look at him, he says, "No need to self-mutilate. Just tell me what's on your mind."

Seohyun blushes, a little embarrased. After all we've been through, you'd think I'd be comfortable asking him anything, she muses. Her question was on the tip of her tongue, but still seemed so difficult to put in words when facing him.

She brushes a long strand of hair behind her ear and then bows low to him. She would have placed her head on the floor next had he not grabbed her arm and pulled her up.

"What are you doing?" he asks her, incredulous. 

She huffs indignantly, "I'm trying to show you my gratitude!"

"I don't want your gratitude."

"Now is not the time to play the macho, cool guy, Kris. Is it so wrong for me to give you my thanks after all you've done for me?"

He leans down so they are about eye to eye. "Like I said, I don't want it. I'd rather you show me a happy smile every day. That will be enough."

Believing the matter to be settled, he picks up the bags once again and heads for the door, when he hears her cry out, "Every day? How do you plan on seeing me every day?"

He stops. Clever girl, she would pick up on that.

She grabs his arm this time and says with confidence, "I promise to smile Kris, if you promise to be there to see it every day."

A small smile of his own creeps up on his face. "Ok. Deal."

"But how are you going to fulfill it? You have a dangerous, difficult job. Are you going to quit?"

"It turns out I have a new assignment. It may actually be pretty dangerous still, but I think it will meet all of your requirements."

She looks mystified. "What is it?"

"Bodyguard."

"What?!"

"For you."

"I thought I wouldn't need one since - "

"You have an ability to get yourself into trouble it seems. I think this is your best option for your own safety." 

Her red face and glaring eyes tell him exactly how she feels about the situation.

--------------------------------------

He has to listen to her grumble the rest of the way to her parent's house - something along the lines of being old enough to take care of herself, and what did he think she was doing before she met him, what a big, conceited prat, et cetera.

He finally silences her when they reach a red light.

"and did you even consider my feelings at all? I've been around servants all of my life, I don't think I need an-"

"Seohyun"

"other one right away. Honestly, I'd much rather learn to how to defend myself than-"

"Seohyun"

"constantly depend on others. We're living in the 21st century. It's not unheard of -"

"Seo Joo Hyun!"

The brakes of the black BMW they are driving rumble to a halt. She turns to him, stunned into silence, lips slightly parted.

Kris takes a moment to study her, admiring the flushed cheeks framed by silky black hair of the lovely girl next to him. The girl who had survived on pure determination and strength of mind. The girl who he would jump off a building for.

In an instant, he closes the short distance between them, not giving her a chance to protest. As his mouth covers her, she squeaks in surprise and moves backwards. He diligently presses against her until her head rests against the front seat window and she succumbs, finally letting him have his way. 

He massages her lips with his, kissing her slowly but thoroughly. A thrill runs through her; it all feels strange and unusual but familiar at the same time. After a few moments, he leans back to give her some air. 

"I'll be honest, I only accepted the job because of this perk. Is that ok with you?" he asks, quite seriously.

She stares back at him, in shock and disbelief. The nerve of this guy... 

After a few long seconds of deliberation, she gives her answer.

"You're hired." 

The black BMW starts off once again, it's passengers seemingly having settled their quarrel. When it arrives at its destination, the two descend and enter the mansion in front of them hand-in-hand.

---------------------------------

Author's Note: Ahhh, finally done! I'm seriously thinking about cutting chapters down into smaller segments...

Anyways, when I first heard this song, I thought it was very TVXQ sounding, but EXO did a good job making it their own.

Per Wikipedia, the Chil Sung Pa is an actual Korean gang, headquartered in Busan. The name translates to 7 Star Mob. 14k is another gang based in Asia.

It looks like SeoKyu is the obvious poll winner, so I'll be working on an epilogue for "I Hate That I Love You" next. Thanks for your continued support guys ^^