Chapter 2

Cheongdamdong Alice

 

Sungmin wakes to the luxurious sounds of a traffic jam outside his window and his computer’s fan buzzing right beneath his ear as it kicks itself into overdrive. His head is half on, half off his keyboard and when he lifts his head he’s glad to see that the sticky key function is actually useful for something.

It’s only after he’s rubbed some of the key imprints from his cheeks that realizes he was supposed to do something that day.

In a beat he’s swearing loudly and stumbling out of his chair, trying to remember where he left his phone the night before. Ryeowook promised to text him the details of this new job, but even a promise is useless if Sungmin can’t find his ing phone

It’s in the pocket of the pants he was wearing yesterday, and he only knows because Ryeowook chooses that exact moment to call him and he hears the buzz coming from inside his clothes hamper. He answers the phone without looking at the screen, afraid of how many missed calls and text messages he might have. “Hello?” he answers breathlessly.

“How was the new house? It’s big right? Was it really messy? I can’t imagine why he would want you to clean every day --“

“Ryeowook, I just woke up.” A pause, and then, “I was writing last night.”

Ryeowook was quiet on the other end of the line. “Do you have other schedules today?” he finally asked, his tone much less cheerful.

Glancing at the clock, Sungmin sighed. It was almost 1 o’clock in the afternoon. “Yes, but just one, and I should be fine even if I’m a little late. I better let you go though, I need a shower bad.”

Ryeowook hung up without much fuss and Sungmin ran a hand through his greasy hair, immediately regretting it. He tossed his phone onto his bed and headed for the bathroom planning to take this already incredibly unpleasant day one step at a time.

Later, he reasoned as he stepped in the shower and started to wash up, he could check to see if Ryeowook sent him contact information as well. Then he could at least apologize and promise to be there tomorrow, or work out a different time schedule. Since his new employer was a CEO, he’d probably be in the office most of the day and wouldn’t mind Sungmin coming in at a later time.

By the time Sungmin rushed to his client’s house and finished his job there, he’d already decided that he was ready to go back to bed. Unfortunately Ryeowook didn’t send him any phone number or email, just the address and the man’s name – Cho Kyuhyun. Sungmin thought for all of two seconds and decided that he would just make up for skipping one day by staying a little later the next. Satisfied with his plan, he spent the rest of the night at home, working on just technical work. Before he even sat down, he plugged his phone into the charger and set the alarm, just in case.

It was almost a miracle when he woke in the morning and he was actually in his bed, though there was a trail of papers leading to his desk. He groggily reached over to turn off his cell alarm, dragging himself out of bed so he wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again, the worst habit he had in college.

After a quick shower he was feeling much more refreshed, the feeling intensifying when he walked out of his apartment building and breathed in the fresh air, sighing at the bright morning and how great the weather was. He hailed a cab and read off Cho’s address, the driver not even raising his brow. That was how Sungmin liked it – no one judging him based on his appearance or where he lived. One day, he’d have a life that people could envy, not pity.

Traffic seemed nonexistent in the mid-morning and Sungmin was dropped off in no time. Kyuhyun’s house had an electronic entry code that Sungmin entered, after referring to his phone. Taking off his shoes, he started by looking around to see what needed to be done the most. The house had a modern gray and black theme with wooden highlights. Sungmin liked the traditional and modern mixture, and how there were large windows in the living room and the area that led into the kitchen.

He only glanced into the kitchen, wincing at the mess before heading upstairs. The stairs were at the very center of the house, directly across from the entrance, and Sungmin felt a little breathless as he walked up them, metallic gray walls following him up until the last step.

The second floor seemed like a loft, with an entertainment area and two bedrooms. Sungmin only peeked into the rooms – one was made up into rich tones that accented the gray and black theme, the bed nicely made but a little dusty. The other room was definitely used, with clothes littering the floor near the closet and an unmade bed, as well as a desk that was almost as messy as Sungmin’s. There was a third door in the loft area that he thought was a third bedroom, but it turned out to be a nice, airy bathroom with a large stone bathtub. Sungmin thought that Cho Kyuhyun would have a shower rather than a bath because they were less time-consuming, but apparently even rich, successful people enjoyed hot soaks every so often.

Wandering back downstairs, Sungmin made a mental list of everything that needed to be done and decided to start with the tasks that took the longest. He found a utility closet hidden downstairs near the kitchen pantry and gathered all of Kyuhyun’s laundry, putting it in to wash. He felt a little awkward doing something so personal for the first time, especially since he had never met his employer before. As he poured the soup, he imagined the man he worked for. He was obviously the business type, if the overflowing desk and closet full of formalwear were any indication.

There weren’t enough dishes for a full load in the dishwasher, so Sungmin washed them all by hand and laid them out on the counter to dry. He couldn’t find a rag to dust with, so he ended up using paper towels. As he wiped along the entertainment center, he marveled at the stack of game systems placed neatly to the side, ready to be used at a moment’s notice. Sungmin wondered if many office workers played video games – it would certainly be something to liven up a boring day at work. If not, then Cho Kyuhyun might be the type that played games as a child and refused to give them up as he grew older.

By the time he had finished dusting most of the house, it was time to switch the laundry from the washer to the drier. While he was in the closet, Sungmin grabbed the vacuum and brought it to the living room, searching for an outlet. He had just found one hidden beside the sofa when his cell rang, buzzing in his pocket and distracting him. It buzzed more than three times, which meant that it was a call and he reluctantly dug into his pocket to answer it.

“Sungmin-ah, I have great news!” It was his editor, a middle-aged woman who could be just as vindictive as she was zealous. “Well, I believe it’s good, but you may not have the same opinion. Anyways, can you come into the office today? Like, now? There are some representatives here from Sight Publishing Company and they’re inquiring about your latest projects!”

“Sight?” Sungmin echoed. “Isn’t that the company that published my romance novel?”

“Yes! Apparently it sold well, not quite enough for a second run but if it gets popular we’re going to need it.”

Sungmin glanced at the vacuum. “I’m a little busy right now…”

“If it’s only a little you can spare the time. You should get here now before the representatives leave. If you can push your novel towards them they might be willing to publish it, despite the genre.”

Sungmin didn’t think they would, but he agreed to visit the office anyways. With a sigh, he put the vacuum away and left the house, partially frustrated that he had barely accomplished anything and another part frustrated that his editor was making him come out unnecessarily. Plus if he didn’t start working on Cho Kyuhyun’s house soon, there was a great possibility that he’d be fired. Simmering, Sungmin headed towards the bus station and thought of various ways to maim Ryeowook and his evil dictator of a boss.

---------

“I think it’s great, hyung!” Ryeowook chirped as he slid into the bar’s booth. Yesung nodded in agreement, slightly occupied by his phone. Yesung was another friend from college, although they had some trouble staying in contact. Yesung had started out as a Music major, but just like Sungmin his parents had disapproved of his choice and he had been shipped off to the business department. Whenever he and Sungmin happened to get together, they usually talked about how annoying their jobs were – a topic that never failed to dampen their moods, despite their healthy friendship.

“I just wish they would pay more attention to the books I actually want published,” Sungmin admitted. “I know the romance industry is big, but..”

“You’ll have a chance to expand the industry one day,” Yesung reassured him, putting his phone away and clasping his hands on the table. “This will at least get you in good with that publishing company. It’s always good to have connections, in any case.”

“Well, no matter what, you shouldn’t turn them down,” Ryeowook concluded, “which means we have something to celebrate.” And he ordered them a round of beers that Sungmin didn’t even want, but he drank until he could see the bottom of his mug, and Yesung suggested a second round. Remembering his job with Cho Kyuhyun, Sungmin took it easy from there on out and tried to make himself relax – tried to view this “break” as a good thing.

He was only slightly tipsy when they decided to part ways later on, but he decided to take a cab just in case. He paid for the ride with the last of his cash, leaving him with measly 500 and 100 won coins. He grimaced as he put his wallet back into his pocket, wondering why he even had the thing if he had nothing to put in it.

Nothing stopped Sungmin from a night of work – not even being tipsy or tired. As dropped his coat on his bed, grabbed a notepad, and plopped down in front of a tv streaming site on his computer. It would be a much more artistic scene if he was drunk on his couch, in front of a television, but Sungmin never watched tv and didn’t need the extra expense of cable. His laptop really was his best and greatest friend.

He found the first romcom drama the site offered and tuned in, waiting for inspiration to hit him. He was blank until the lead female forgot to set her alarm and woke up late for an important test, which in turn reminded him to set his own alarm. Is this why females are so much more proficient than males? Because they watch these dramas and it reminds them of things they need to do? He didn’t know the plot of the drama or any of the characters, and the acting was horrible to boot. He was asleep before the first commercial break.

------------------

His alarm wakes him up the next morning with a cheery tune, and surprisingly enough he smiles when he opens his eyes and hears it. He wasn’t quite drunk enough to experience the full glory of a hangover, so he stretches and practically runs to the shower, ready to start his day.

He’s out of the door earlier than usual, because the buses take a bit longer than regular transportation. He never plugged it in last night, so his phone dies while he’s waiting at the bus stop, looking at Ryeowook’s message once again to try and memorize the entry number. He’s learned that it’s a good thing to know, especially if you’re going to take the trash out and leave your phone inside.

It might just be his imagination, but the bus fares seem to have risen lately as he gives away a few of his last coins. He’s down to 800 won, and the bus fare is 150 won. He’s good for a few days, at least.

There are so many people on the morning buses that he begins to feel claustrophobic, and the ride seems to take even longer. The mixture of college students and salaried workers makes him feel out of place, because they always look like they’re in a hurry to go somewhere important, and he is in no hurry to go clean up someone else’s crap. But he feels bad because he’s been working at the same house for three days now, and he hasn’t done hardly anything. A rise in determination to be more productive makes him look forward to his bus stop, slowly making his way towards through the exit, picking his way through the crowd.

The bus lets him off just down the street from the Cho residence, at an intersection with several businesses. The further up the street he goes, the fewer businesses there are, and more houses start to appear. A small bakery catches his eye, placed right inbetween one house and another. His stomach growls, reminding him that he needs to eat something at some time, so he wanders inside hoping to find something cheap and easy. He’s scanning the bakery cases and his eyes land on the glorious, the magnificent…He’s gasping before he can help himself, because they’re so hard to find nowadays, and very few places make them just right. It’s only 250 won, he tells himself, biting his lips as he debates. And he really does need lunch. If not this, what else would he want to eat? The temptation is so great that he’s still talking himself into buying it, even as the cashier hands him a receipt with a smile and places it in a plastic bag for him.

When he leaves the store it’s in a good mood, his determination withstanding his minor lapse in budget judgment. He’s even happier when he finally reaches the Cho residence and he can remember the combination, letting himself in with a grin.

Everything looks the same as he left it, with the exception of some dirty dishes in the kitchen. He sets his dessert lunch on the dining room table where it’ll be safe from all harm, giving it one last longing glance before setting to work.

He dusts once more in every room, letting it settle before dragging the vacuum out. Then he focuses on the bathroom, a single one upstairs. He scrubs everything down and sanitizes it, organizing the products on the counter. He checks the guest bedroom to see if anything has changed and it hasn’t, but Cho’s room is the same as last time – a messy bed, a messy desk, and a small pile of clothes on the floor. Sungmin searched around for an extra set of sheets and makes the bed, throwing the old sheets onto the clothes pile for later. He doesn’t touch the piles of paperwork that are perched precariously on the desk, but he takes the old coffee mugs down to the kitchen and opens a few windows to let fresh air come in.

It’s not until he’s opening the windows downstairs that he realizes the house has a great view. There’s a small patio beside the living room, and what Sungmin thought was a floor length window was actually a door in disguise. He opens it and peeks out into the yard, fenced in by a stone wall with some sort of ivy growing over the sides. A large old tree provides shade and protection from some of the taller buildings in the area, giving the yard a sense of privacy. There’s a barbeque set off to the side on the patio, as well as a small dining set with just two chairs. Sungmin likes the area and decides to take his lunch there.

Speaking of lunch, he’s only been working for a few hours but it’s almost 11 o’clock and he never ate breakfast, so he eagerly goes to grab his snack. It’s a chocolate horn, one of his favorite sweets, and the bread is good enough to fill him up even though it’s technically a dessert. He unwraps it with love, taking the wrapper with him to the patio. The first bite is delicious – and also messy. The chocolate mousse isn’t very thick and it spills over with his first bite, running down the pastry and onto his hand. He the mousse up, standing in the doorway of the patio, and his next bite is the same. It’s childish, but he doesn’t mind making a mess with his food and experiments with breaking the bread off to dip in the mousse. Except the bread is only a long string of dough wrapped around and it’s hard to break off without biting, so he accidentally squeezes the horn while twisting the bread and a mass of mousse spreads across his palm, creating a general mess.

He sighs as he gives up hope, biting onto one end of the bread rope and smearing most of the chocolate back onto the bread. He can always use a plate and fork, and clean them later..

He’s surprised enough to stop in his tracks when he walks by the door and he hears the latch click and the squeak of the hinges as it opens.

And then he’s staring at a wide-eyed Cho Kyuhyun, who looks just as surprised to see him – or maybe it’s just the bread in his mouth and his hands full of chocolate.

And while they’re staring at each other, an unimpeded drop of mousse releases itself from Sungmin’s fingers and plops itself onto the nice carpet. Kyuhyun’s eyes follow it, his mouth still slightly open.

Sungmin mumbles around his bread, “I’ll clean pthat up.”