Chapter Two

Faking Royalty

 

While waiting for their turn, Suho and his new friends talked to each other, getting to know each other a bit more. When Chen, Luhan, and Kris were called, Suho, Xiumin, Lay, and Tao watched them leave, wishing them good luck before they left the room. "Suho, you look nervous. Don't be," Lay chuckled, raising an eyebrow at Suho. "I'm trying," Suho chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. "See it this way; if you don't get chosen, you could always find someone else," Tao suggested, but all Suho did was nod. "That's not really what I had in mind . ." Suho thought to himself. He needed to find a way to the crown princess somehow. After about fifteen minutes, Kris, Chen, and Luhan came back inside. "How was it?" Xiumin asked curiously. "We just had to use our powers in front of the emperor for like ten seconds, that was it," Luhan answered, "it really wasn't as nerve-wracking as it's made out to be." No matter what anyone said, Suho was still nervous. He tried to reassure himself that everything would turn out fine and that he would get chosen, but it was hard to reassure himself since there were tons of other crown princes to choose from.

 

 

Xiumin, Lay, and Tao were up next, leaving Suho to be the last one in the group to not have gone yet. Suho was feeling a bit queasy, but he dealt with it. He started thinking of what he was going to do, but didn't have enough time, because three of his new friends had already walked back inside. "I think I messed up," Lay chuckled nervously, sighing in disappointment. "I'm sure you did fine, Yixing. I thought you did really well," Tao comforted, patting Lay on the back. The group turned around when the three guards had followed the last of the group inside the room. "This is the last group. May everyone who was not called please come with us," one of the guards announced, and ten men, including Suho, stood up to follow the guards outside the room. Suho turned to look at his new friends, receiving a thumbs up from Xiumin and Luhan, and a wave from Lay and Chen. Suho exhaled deeply, giving them a forced smile before he followed everyone outside.

 

 

The cold air hit Suho's face suddenly, and he shivered a bit. They were given instructions on how they were to display their powers, and they went right to the point. Suho was last in line, growing more and more nervous the closer he got to the front of the line. He watched everyone in front of him and felt belittled; there was no way he could impress the emperor and top them. When it was Suho's turn, he reassured himself with confident thoughts, and didn't think about the "what if's." He walked to a point in the middle of the area, and in front of him were the emperor and the crown princess. When the emperor gave him a gesture, he began moving. Suho moved gracefully, bending the water he shot from his hands. He moved as if he was fighting someone, and just kept his mind focused on fighting this image in his head. He spun, jumped, and flipped in the air, not worrying about anything. He ended his performance with a small shoot of water in the air, which rained down behind him. The emperor applauded shortly, and excused him back to the line. The guards escorted the crown princes back to the room, and Suho took his original seat next to Luhan once he got back to the room. "How'd you do?" Kris asked with concern. "I think I did pretty well. I was really nervous, but I actually did really well," Suho answered, smiling to himself. "That's good!" Luhan chimed, patting Suho's arm. The group talked a bit before the room quieted down. They averted their attention to the door, and saw the same three guards again. Before they had left after the last ten men had performed their power, they said they would get the list of seven crown princes from the emperor, and they would come back soon. Well, now they were back, and Suho was more nervous than he ever was that entire day.

 

 

"The seven crown princes have been chosen. May the following please stand next to me," the guard on the left explained, his voice echoing throughout the silent room. The guard in the middle opened up a scroll, peering at the first name. "Kim Jongdae," the guard said, looking up from the scroll. Chen dropped his jaw; it was obvious he didn't think his name was going to be called. Xiumin snapped him out of his thoughts, and Chen hastily made his way to the front of the room. "Wu YiFan, Zhang Yixing, and Kim Min Seok," the guard called, again looking up from the scroll once he had read the names. Kris, Lay, and Xiumin widened their eyes at each other as they said nothing while they joined Chen. Three names were left on the list. After the three had stood still next to Chen, the guard went back to calling names, "Huang Zi Tao and Xi Luhan," Luhan high fived Tao as he followed Tao to the group in the front. Suho could feel his stomach churn; if his name wasn't called, he wouldn't know what to do. Worries started rushing through his mind, "Oh God why did I even do this! I don't even have a chance . . God, I'm so stupid. Why did I even think-" "And lastly, Kim Junmyeon."