Prologue

Numbing Grief

"One large martini, on the rocks"

The platinum-blonde figure, clad in expensive black snapped at the scantily-clad bartender perched on the miniscule chair barely able to accomodate her entire figure. She expected a greasy compliment, that he knew. Girls were easy to read, yet harder to manage.

He wouldn't have fulfilled her wishes though, not tonight at least. His mood was black, darker than the murky abyss outside, where many would call it night. And he had an upmost respect for women, his own mother especially whom he treasured dearly. He clearly was not stooping down to the level of his seniors with their R-rated comments and ography stashes scattered around their dorms. Of course, most of them were serving their mandatory military duty now, and were most likely to have carried their risque acts to the bunks of Gongneung-dong, much to his team's relief.

As a matter of fact, he had never, ever tasted a martini, not till this day. But then again, desperate situations call for desperate measures. His emotions just managed to gain the upper hand today, in this secluded bar where so few people actually frequented. Though the younger did not drink, Donghae had recommended the venue once during one of the random conversations they struck up time to time.

Donghae was comfort, in his own right. He could not have asked for a better listener, provided Eunhyuk wasn't close by, ready to spring the next laugh-till-you-die humour. But he enjoyed their company, whether it was one, or both of them.

Glancing at the chilled liquid that just arrived, he inhaled deeply, crossing his fingers that it would wash the pain away.

"Cheers"