Coming Home

A Hundred Yellow Ribbons

           “Taemin!” Minho struggled against the sergeant forcing him away. He broke free and ran back to his love, the one he could never find the courage to confess to. Taemin valiantly tried to hold back tears as the man he loved grabbed his upper arms. “Taemin, wait for me, ok? I’ll come back to you! I promise.” Minho whispered fiercely. Pressing his lips against the beautiful boy’s forehead a final time, Minho squeezed the boy ‘s arms and drew back. Touching Taemin’s cheek briefly, Minho turned and walked back to his superior. With a sympathetic smile, Sergeant Sooman placed his hand on the young soldier’s shoulder before turning him and guiding him away. Minho looked back one last time at the boy he loved, who gave him a brave smile and whispered, “I’ll be here, hyung.”

           It’s been three years since Minho last saw Taemin’s beautiful face. Three long years. The only communication the young boys had with each other was through their letters, through the mail that was only delivered once a month. Minho carried each and every letter Taemin had ever sent him in his uniform, in the pocket of his jacket. Every letter, every picture, every word Taemin ever wrote him, were carried next to his heart. But for the past few months, there hasn’t been any mail. Not a word from Taemin. The soldier was distraught. What if he doesn’t like me anymore? What if he’s found a girlfriend? How can I compete with a girl? I can’t. I want to –have to– tell him how I feel, but I can’t. If he doesn’t feel the same way, I couldn’t bear it. I can’t live without him, I know that now. I need him in my life, loving me, being with me, accepting me. I can’t tell him how I feel. I can’t take the rejection. All of these excuses bounced around in Minho’s skull, driving him insane. Not knowing how Taemin felt was killing him. Eating him up slowly and turning his heart inside out. Many times Minho considered writing I love you in his letters. Every letter, Minho’s pen hovered above the paper while a war raged around him and within him. Every day was uncertain for Minho, so he constantly felt the need to tell Taemin how he felt, before it was too late. How his foolish heart thrilled when he received letter from Taemin addressing him as Dearest Minho or finishing with Forever yours, Taemin. How he ached to respond with My love Taemin or With all my heart, Minho. Yet he never did. He was still too afraid of his Taeminnie’s reaction. So he waited. And waited. And watched.

           “Choi!” Sooman’s voice broke into Minho’s thoughts and he bolted to his feet.

           “Sir!” He addressed the newly appointed sergeant major.

           “Come into my tent. There is a matter needed to be discussed with you.” Gathering up his rifle and pocketing Taemin’s picture, the young corporal followed his superior into the general’s tent. Sitting on a mat, Sooman gestured for Minho to do the same and poured the younger a cup of tea.

           "Minho, you’ve been a model soldier. You learn fast. You keep your head in combat, and your bravery on the field has earned you rank and honor. With this outstanding performance from such a young drafted soldier, the general and I have decided to discharge you early. You have been a great asset to our services, and your loyalty and courage has saved many lives, including my own. Korea is in your debt. You shall return to your home in three months’ time. Please be well until then, Minho-goon. You are dismissed.”

           “K-k-kamshihamnida! Kamshihamnida, General! Kamshihamnida!” Minho stuttered out, bowing over and over again. Saluting respectfully to the man who had been like an uncle to him in this hell, Minho bowed once more and walked back to his barrack feeling happier than he’s ever felt for the past three years. Sitting on his bunk, Minho took out his final pieces of paper and composed a letter to his beloved.

            Dearest Taeminnie,

I have missed your smiling face every second of every miserable day we have been apart. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss you. Your smile, the way your eyes light up when you are happy, your laugh… The memory of your laugh keeps me going. Your sparkling eyes in my mind keep me sane. They give me strength and make me determined to make it back to you. I have received the most wonderful news. I am to be honorably discharged in three months’ time! My darling dongsaeng, I am finally coming home! I can’t wait to see you again. Do you still want me in your life? It’s been so long… So long since I've seen you, since I've heard your laugh and felt your embrace. Do you remember the tree where we first met? When we quite literally ran into each other? The first time I saw your face, heard your laugh and saw your smile. If you still wish to have me in your life, tie a yellow ribbon around that old oak tree. I'll be waiting for you.

             With all my love,

               Minho

 

                    Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree.
                    It’s been three long years, do you still want me?
                    If I don’t see a ribbon round the old oak tree,
                    I’ll stay on the bus. Forget about us, put the blame on me
                    If I don’t see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

            Minho grinned as he folded his letter. He finally was able to write “love” in his letter to Taemin. The young soldier hummed happiloy as he handed the envelope to the postmaster, his spirits high. He started whistling their song, his and Taemin’s. It had been playing over the park’s speakers when he saw the boy for the first time. 

           Minho smiled as he jogged through the park. He loved his early morning runs. The sun was just coming up, the birds were singing, and the park’s stereo system was playing old classics. But for the athletic teen, the best part was the emptiness. Hardly anyone was up this early on a Saturday in Seoul, and the ones that were up were elderly couples out for a stroll. Sweet and friendly, they smiled at the young man as he jogged passed their benches, or gently called out a warning as he jogged around them. Minho grinned. Elders were so much better than his fellow teenagers. Elders were so polite and respectful, just like people ought to be. As he headed to his favorite resting place, the ancient oak tree in the south corner of the park, Minho let himself get lost in the lyrics of the song currently playing, “Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree.” He was jolted back to reality as he rounded the bend and felt someone run headlong into his chest. Minho reflexively reached out and caught the person, who bounced off his chest with a surprised “Ooomph!” The young man looked down at the obviously younger person in his arms, coming face to face with the most beautiful boy he had ever met. “Are you alright?” Minho asked the boy, concern edging his voice. The blond boy looked up at him and gave him the most angelic smile he had ever seen.

           “I’m fine, sunbae! I’m so sorry for running into you like that! I was looking at the oak tree and wasn’t watching where I was going. Are you alright?” he returned.

           Minho chuckled internally at the younger’s cuteness. “I’m fine. I wasn’t exactly paying attention either,” he admitted sheepishly. Minho’s heart was pounding and it wasn’t from his run. The blond boy was absolutely enchanting, and Minho couldn’t let him get away without at least knowing his name. “My name is Choi Minho,” he offered in his deep, noona-killer voice, loosening his grip on the boy. The young angel stepped out of his arms.

           “I’m Taemin. Lee Taemin,” he said with a cute little grin, sticking out his slender hand. Minho grasped it in his own large one and was momentarily shocked by how right Taemin’s hand felt in his. Keeping his hold on the younger, Minho took a deep breath and asked “Want to come sit under the oak tree with me?” He wasn’t sure why, but he was desperate to get to know the boy, to make him laugh and see his smile again. Taemin searched his eyes for a moment before softly agreeing. Minho changed his grip on the younger’s hand and led him to his favorite spot against the tree trunk, facing the pond. The two boys laughed and talked for hours, time’s passing going unnoticed. Before Minho knew it, it was getting dark and Taemin had to leave. After saying goodbye, the angelic boy walked away. “Taemin, wait!” Minho cried out desperately. The boy turned back.

           “Yes, Minho-sunbae?”

           “Would…you…um…would it be alright if I saw you again?” Minho asked nervously. Taemin gave him a soft smile.

           “I’d like that, Minho. I’d like that very much.”

           Minho sighed as he looked around his barrack one last time. The final three months were up, but Taemin still hadn’t responded to his letter. His battle buddy Eunhyuk clapped him on the shoulder. “Get out of here, buddy! I bet that little honey of yours is quite anxious to see you again.” Donghae came up behind Eunhyuk smiling.

           “Yeah dude, leave already!” Minho grinned at his hyungs’ joking. As much as he hated these three years in hell-on-earth on the front lines, he was going to miss the buddies he made here.

           “I’m gonna miss you guys, you know? Let me know when you’re back in Seoul.” The three men shared a brief hug before Minho walked out of the barracks for the last time.

           “I wish I could meet this Taemin,” Donghae muttered, pouting ever so slightly. Eunhyuk turned and placed a kiss on the younger’s forehead before heading out for guard duty.

           “Don’t worry, Hae. We will.”

--

    I'm comin' home, I've done my time
    Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
    If you received my letter tellin' you I'd soon be free
    Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me
    If you still want me

 

          Minho sighed gratefully as he sank into his seat, welcoming the familiar sights of Korea flashing past the bus window. A brief smile touched his lips before a worried look replaced it. Taemin hasn’t answered my letter. Does he still like me? We’re stopping at the bus stop right before the old oak tree. What will I see? Will he be there? Does he want me? Minho worried the whole four hundred and thirty kilometers that separated him and his unknowing love.

--

          Taemin bounced up and down in his nervousness, a lone yellow ribbon being strangled beneath his anxious fingers. Key placed a hand over his fist, making the young man look up at him. “Relax, Minnie. Minho will be here before you know it.”

           “I know,” Taemin sighed. “I just…It’s been three years. I’m so excited to see him again! I need to tell him…” Taemin trailed off, blushing.

           Key giggled at the younger’s shyness. “I know, baby. Jonghyun and Onew and I will be standing off the side, ok? That way when Minho comes home you can have him all to yourself until you say what you need to.” Taemin grinned.

           “Thanks, umma!”

--

          The knot in Minho’s stomach doubled in size as he felt the bus come to a stop. Grabbing his giant army-issued duffle bag, Minho made his way to the front of the bus as words of gratitude and well-wishing followed in his wake. He gave them all a quick grin before he turned to the doors.

    Bus driver, please look for me
    'Cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
    I'm really still in prison, and my love she holds the key
    A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free

 

          The driver reached out and clapped him on the shoulder before opening the doors. Minho took a deep breath and stepped off the bus, making his way towards the old oak tree. The corporal came around the bend in the path and his duffle bag hit the ground. There, adorning the old oak tree, were hundreds of yellow ribbons gently waving in the breeze.

                   I can’t believe I see a hundred yellow ribbons round the ole oak tree

          Minho’s breath hitched as his Taemin stepped forward from the trunk and smiled. With his heart pounding erratically and tears blurring his vision, the young soldier ran the final steps separating him and his love. Catching the young angel in his arms, Minho spun them around and around, both boys laughing and crying at the same time. Minho eventually stopped spinning and just held Taemin close, burying his face in his soft chestnut –chestnut?  hair in response to Taemin’s slender fingers gripping the back of his uniform. Minho finally set the younger on his feet, never breaking his grip. Taemin drew back just enough to finally look into Minho’s eyes, the eyes he had seen every day in his dreams. “Taeminnie,” Minho breathed. “Oh god, Taemin, I missed you so much! So much! There are so many things that I want to say, need to say! I missed you so much!” Minho babbled, his thoughts coming out in a jumbled mess. Taemin stopped him with a cute smile and a finger on his lips. Taking a deep breath, Minho looked into Taemin’s beautiful eyes and finally confessed, “I love you.” He was rewarded with Taemin’s eyes sparkling as he said, “I love you, too.” his Minnie’s soft cheek, he saw his love reflected back in the boy’s beautiful eyes as he finally claimed his pink lips in a soft, lingering kiss. Taemin eventually drew away with a contented smile.

           “You have no idea how long I’ve waited for that, froggy.”

           Minho let out a chuckle. “Oh, but I think I do, Minnie. I’ve wanted to do that ever since you head butted my chest five years ago.” Taemin giggled cutely, pulling Minho’s face down for another kiss.  

 

 

A/N: Thanks to everyone for reading! This is my first story, so comments are appreciated! It's always nice to know what I can do to improve my writing for the future ^_^

Thank you, 2minloveforever, for the amazing graphic! (and for all your help getting this mess into something postable :D) Check out her stories; she's incredible!  Saranghae~

Again thanks for reading and don't forget to comment! Saranghae, readers~