Societal Norms

141224 The Day We Got Back Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

xuanmiin: Kwon's point of view. 

-

Third Week of September

 

Extremely sweet overseas friends have flown into Korea just for us. To avoid disturbing anyone else, we end up putting them up at Ga In’s place—in the guest room and what used to be Jea noona’s room (but since she moved out, I’ve actively used). Fortunately, all our guests seem to get along and cope with the occasional intrusive figure perfectly fine.

 

But I won’t lie. What made me happiest was that Sunye, with children in tow, flew in for us! She was going to stay in Korea for some time, to show her children around Korea. And we managed to make arrangements to put Sunye and children up in the effectively empty 2AM dorm. Effectively empty since Jinwoon had more or less moved out for good. I still oscillated between Ga In’s place and the 2AM dorm.

 

And this morning, I am going to pick Sunye up from the airport. Just like I always have. To be frank, I feel somewhat guilty that I always pick Sunye up at the airport, but never do the same for Ga In-ah. She doesn’t seem to mind though, and I can’t figure out why. I guess it’s because she arrives in Korea so much more often than Sunye does, even back when she was actively promoting with Wonder Girls in the States. Excited to finally see my best best friend!

 

“Papa!” Shriek my super cute godchildren as they race towards me.

Of course, I hug them both. Don’t look at me funny, for heavens sakes! These kids call James hyung ‘Daddy’. I’m their godpa, but somewhere along the way, it got lost in translation and they ended up calling me ‘Papa’ instead.

Of course, I attract a whole lot of queer looks from strangers.

“Kwon-ah!” Sunye whispers affectionately, and I hug her. I haven’t seen her for such a long time. Really.

As the good best friend that I am, I help her with the luggage since she has two children to mind.

“People are sure getting the wrong idea.”

“Them calling me papa?”

“It is strange though. You have to admit it.”

“Mummy! Papa! I’m hungry.” Whines my godson.

“Mummy will give you breakfast soon? Okay?” Sunye pacifies him easily with a smile and a pat on his head.

“Okay. I admit. That was really weird.”

“Wait till they meet Ga In unnie. Complete confusion ensues.”
“Oh, let’s not even think about that.”

“Please tell me that the 2AM dorm still has food suitable for human consumption. If not these two kids will throw a fuss.”

“How about we just go to Ga In’s place instead?”

 

 

We don’t actually go to Ga In’s place. It would totally be dropping a bomb on the rest of the guests. For the record, the 2AM dorm does have food suitable for human consumption, thanks to Ga In, no less.

 

While Sunye throws together some breakfast—I would very much like to help, but I would be more of a hindrance than a help. So I keep my godchildren occupied.

“Papa. Play with me!” Demands the goddaughter, shoving the colouring book (likely obtained from the flight) in my face. So I sit down and colour together with her.

“Papa!” She protests obstinately, shaking her head when I colour the grass green. I see nothing wrong with colouring the grass green. She colours over the green with yellow. Perhaps something to do with the seasons.

After some time, she climbs into my lap, decides she likes it there, and makes herself comfortable.

Meanwhile, the godson is watching cartoons on television.

 

Sunye pops out of the kitchen with breakfast. The godson’s attention does not move from the cartoon, and Sunye has to put the food in front of him. Then he eats with his eyes on the television, and makes a mess. She attempts to carry the daughter, but she refuses to move, so I end up feeding her instead.

 

“She likes you a lot.”

“More than him at least.” That is, the godson who is still addicted to the television.

“This place is sure neat. And the kitchen still well stocked, which can’t possibly be your doing. Unnie sure keeps you well fed.” Sunye makes this statement as matter-of-factly as possible.

“Why’d you even think it’s her doing?”

“It’s obvious. Jinwoonie’s hardly around. Only you occupy the dorm. Who else is going to keep the kitchen stocked?” That obvious?

“Why can’t I be the one keeping the kitchen stocked?” Well, I do do some marketing sometimes.

“You’ve never needed to, we all know it. When Changmin oppa was here, he was the one feeding everyone. When he moved out, for a while, you had a food crisis here. Since none of you can cook decently. But Seulong oppa and Jinwoon moved out soon after. After that, I’ve never hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter