Chapter 4

Fireflies

They had stayed. For two days. Three days. Five days.

SoEun’s condition got worse day by day. On the second day her fever had started. KimBum had bought new medicine from the pharmacy and he and the old lady had been taking care of the girl as good as they could but they had reached their limits.

“We have to get a doctor to see her.”, KimBum said, as he gently wiped the sweat from her forehead.

“There is no doctor in our village. The next doctor lives in the town 2.5 miles from here.” The old lady explained and got the telephone, “I’ll call them!”

KimBum nodded and turned to SoEun again. It was a mistake. I shouldn’t have taken her with me. These thoughts were echoing in his mind for the whole past days again and again.

If he just had known earlier. He placed his forehead on his massed fists.

Although he didn’t know much about her disease, he at least knew that a pneumonia was more than bad in her condition. And in the worst case she could...

Quickly he shook his head. No, he didn’t want to think about it. It wouldn’t get this far.

That moment the old lady came inside again with a desperate look. “There’s a snow storm in the town and it’s already roaming towards our town!” KimBum jumped up from his seat. “But we need a doctor! Or else-“ “I know, but in this case he won’t be able to get here!” Panic started to take over him. What should he do?

He looked out of the window. Everything still seemed peaceful. Only the quick apporaching clouds hinted the coming storm.

“You said the town is 2.5 miles away?”, he then asked, keeping his eyes on the landscape.

“Yeah... normally it’s only a short drive but in this weather...”, she shook her head, “Why now?”

“I’ll take her.” “What?!”, the woman asked surprised and her voice revealed her shock.

“I’ll take her to the doctor by myself.” “But the storm! If you get into the storm you’ll both get burried!” “But if I don’t go now she might dies!”, KimBum raised his voice. His hands were massed to fists. “We can’t wait until the doctor gets here. It will take too much time!”

The old lady tried to convince him that it would be better to wait, but she couldn’t discourage him.

KimBum put SoEun her jacket and her scarf on and also covered her with a blanket. Then he lifted her up onto his bag.

“You won’t be able to carry her all the way...” “I will.”, he insisted and stepped out of the room.

“Where... are we going...?” SoEun then weakly asked. “I’ll take you to a doctor. Hang in there just  a little bit more, okay?” “Okay...”, the girl answered only as a whisper.

KimBum then left the house, leaving the old lady behind, who watched them with a worried look, hoping for them to get back safely.

Leaving the town behind, the front of clouds seemed to get closer with every step he took.

It wasn’t easy to walk in the snow, especiall not with SoEun on his back but he endured it. Endured the pain he was feeling and the difficulties he had to face. He would endure every pain if he only could bring her to a doctor in time.

“Kim...Bum...shi....” “Yes. I’m here.” SoEun coughed weakly. “I will go see the fireflies... won’t I...?” “Of course you will... we’ll see them together...yeah...”

Eventhough he couldn’t see her face, he knew that she was smiling. But the fact that she was smiling made him sad. She was such a strong girl... why couldn’t her body be stronger, too?

But he knew she was fighting. Fighting against her disease. And he hoped that she’d keep on fighting a bit longer.

The wind slowly got stronger. The storm came. KimBum grabbed SoEun stronger. “We’ll make it. Believe me.”

“Yes...”

He didn’t know how long the storm raged aroun them. All he could see was snow. All he could feel was the cold of the snow and the slowly fading warmth of the girl on his back.

 

It was a cold winter day just at the end of January. The snow was falling gently onto the ground and laid a white mantle over the landscape. The storm had died down, only leaving a memory. Untouched nature, covered in white.

Amid this scenery were a man and a woman. 

He, kneeing on the ground, held her in his arms. His mind was blank just like the scenery.

Hot tears were running down his cheeks. Drop by drop they landed on the woman’s cheek, building a contrast to her cooled down skin.

Her eyes were closed, a weak smile on her lips. 

To live my life like I want to... that’s my way of freedom...” Her words were still ringing in his ears. Back then he hadn’t understood what she meant with this but know he was dissapointed and sad that she only had a short time of living in freedom. He pulled her body closer to his, burying his face in her hair. Only silent sobs escaped his lips. Why was this world so cruel? Good and bad people... it always were the good ones...

It was a mistake... a mistake... mistake... no matter how often he thought about it, he couldn’t accept that it had been a mistake to meet her. To be with her. Eventhough he couldn’t save her...

But still..it was peaceful. The scenery was peaceful, she was peaceful... and her death had been peaceful, too.