Chapter 2

Fireflies

The past few hours the view outside of the window hadn’t changed much. Fields, trees, mountains.

KimBum and SoEun were already a two-day-trip far from Seoul. At the moment they were traveling by bus most of the time, though KimBum didn’t seem to feel very good about it.

Waking up from a short nap, he rubbed his eyes and turned his head towards the window. It already was dark outside. Maybe about 5pm. He then looked at SoEun whose eyes were fixed on the scenery in the dark.

Has she been sitting like that all the time?, he wondered and cleared his throat to get her attention. “I think we’ll arrive at a village soon.” She briefly looked at him and nodded before turning towards the window again. KimBum couldn’t deny that he had imagined her personality to be different. At first he had thought she would complain much and would ask many questions, but in the past 48 hours they had been together, she had proved his first impression wrong. During that time he had secretly observed her often. Sometimes she would smile and sometimes there would be that sad look in her eyes.

“Can I ask you something?”, she suddenly asked, starteling him for a moment. “Well, uhm, sure!”

SoEun hadn’t been that talkative before so it surprised him that she acutally started a conversation.

“Why did those guys look for you?”

His heart immediately began to beat a bit faster, but he just casually leaned back in his seat and laughed slightly, trying to act cool. “Didn’t I tell you? They say I did something wrong.” “What was it?” “If I tell you, you’ll think I’m a bad person. And probably would want to get away from me as fast as possible.”

Actually he had thought this would keep her from asking any further, but the girl only looked at him expectantly.

Struggeling with himself, wether to tell her or not, he finally said: “Let’s put it this way: I had to get something for them and of course I did my job. The thing is that I got my payment by myself – which of course isn’t what they’d actually wanted to give me. And in fact this will get them in big trouble.”

At the thought of it he couldn’t help but grin and put his hand into his pocket. This small treasure will bring me a lot of money...

Unlike expected, SoEun only nodded again, as he looked at her.

“Can I ask you  something?”, he then said. “Well, sure.”, she answered surprised.

“Why did you want to go with me?” The girl lowered her glance to her hands and began to wring them. “I... wanted to be free.” “Free? But you had everything a person could wish for.”

She slightly shook her head and their eyes met again. “To live my life like I want to... that’s my way of freedom.” “Live like you want to?”

SoEun smiled slightly but didn’t say a word. Then the bus stopped.

“I guess we’ve reached the village.”, SoEun announced and got up from her seat.

“Yeah...” Though KimBum still didn’t understand what she meant by that, he decided not to ask any further.

After they had stepped out of the bus, they crossed a street and walked down another small street.

SoEun looked at the houses in curiosity and kept following KimBum. “Have you been here before?” “No.” “Not?”, surprised she blinked at him. For him being here for the first time, he knows the way pretty well. She got a bit nervous and sceptical but they then arrived at a small inn.

KimBum entered the building confidently and they soon were greeted by an old woman who seemed to be the landlady.

They got something to eat and were then led to their room. Afte the lady had left, KimBum said: “We should go to bed soon. We’ll leave early.”

The girl nodded again, but this time seemed to feel a bit awkward. He was about to ask why, as he saw it himself. There was only one bed.

The woman must’ve thought they were a couple. He clicked his tongue. He should’ve told the woman to get them a room with seperate beds.

Of course SoEun wouldn’t like to share a bed with a man – especially not with a stranger. KimBum then simply grabbed one of the pillow’s and a blanket and laid dowon on the floor. “Just take the bed. I’ll sleep here.” SoEun was about to protest, bu then only mumbled ‘Thank you...’ before also laying down.

Time passed by with KimBum laying awake. The moonlight was falling into the room, lightening it softly.

He then heard SoEun turn around on the bed. Quietly he asked: “Are you awake?”

“Yes...” It seemed like both of them had been awake for some time.

While KimBum had treied to fall asleep, he had thought about her words again and again but still couldn’t understand her.

Soe he decided to ask again. “Why did you leave? You said to be free but... can’t you be free here? You seemed excited about Japan.”

There came no answer from the girl. Only silence. He feared she’d might fallen asleep again, as she finally said: “Fireflies.” There was a sound of rustleing blankets again and as he looked up, he could see her watching the moon. Even in the dim light KimBum could see her smile.

“In Japan there are golden fireflies. Since I’m little I wanted to see them one day.” Her answer surprised him a bit. This was her reason of running away from home with a stranger? Even though he wasn’t an expert regarding fireflies, but even he knew that they could only be seen in summer. He really couldn’t believe that this was the only or the real reason.